• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, it will take a year or two for some people to rid of the "Xbox must fail" mentality. They now act like lost bullies which target doesn't care anymore about them.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform warring and history of similar platform wars related infractions.
Just looking at the post history of who is making these I cant enjoy a game unless I pay full price for it kind of threads is always pretty predictable.

Going to be funny as fuck when Sony eventually put their games day one on PS Now, what will these people do then? Probably start threads about how they see PS Now as such incredible value and that they're playing more games than ever.

They're about as transparent as Casper the Friendly Ghost wrapped in clingfilm.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
https://youtu.be/kcIwQR4WvZ4

I was going through old Phil Spencer interviews, and @2:20, Phil talks about Darrel Gallagher after having announced the studio acquisitions at E3 2018. I find Phil's choice of words quite telling. "I think he really loved his time with Crystal Dynamics and working on Lara Croft and Tomb Raider, kind of reworking some of that franchise...we were talking about some things in our past that might be interesting, nothing to announce yet, but just some things he might want to go work on". The part about "things in our past he might want to go work on" really makes me think The Initiative is revamping an old IP. Perfect Dark? Or am I just reading into this too much. Thoughts?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

I was going through old Phil Spencer interviews, and @2:20, Phil talks about Darrel Gallagher after having announced the studio acquisitions at E3 2018. I find Phil's choice of words quite telling. "I think he really loved his time with Crystal Dynamics and working on Lara Croft and Tomb Raider, kind of reworking some of that franchise...we were talking about some things in our past that might be interesting, nothing to announce yet, but just some things he might want to go work on". The part about "things in our past he might want to go work on" really makes me think The Initiative is revamping an old IP. Perfect Dark? Or am I just reading into this too much. Thoughts?
Exactly. It is obvious Darrell and the team at TI will be working on a third person cinematic action adventure game similar to TR and UC. The guy wasn't brought in to make games in genres he has no experience with.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Finally picked up an Xbox one X, seems my old live account was tied to an email I no longer use which is annoying as I had a bunch of 360 games on there.

This probably gets asked all the time but what non game pass titles should I be looking to pick up? I'm probably going to grab Forza 7 as I'm enjoying Horizon but game pass has most exclusive things covered right?

Edit: should add I'm looking for exclusives and multiplats that really shine on the X

Jan 4, 2018
Finally picked up an Xbox one X, seems my old live account was tied to an email I no longer use which is annoying as I had a bunch of 360 games on there.

This probably gets asked all the time but what non game pass titles should I be looking to pick up? I'm probably going to grab Forza 7 as I'm enjoying Horizon but game pass has most exclusive things covered right?

Edit: should add I'm looking for exclusives and multiplats that really shine on the X
For best multiplats to showcase the system RDR2 and Witcher 3 come to mind first
For exclusives not on Game Pass, although it's no longer exclusive Cuphead deserves to be mentioned. I'm not sure if Quantum Break is on the service but if it's not this one deserves a look.
Can't really think of any other exclusive not already on the service aside FM7 (well, FH3, but since 4 is on GP I don't know if it might be worth it for you to buy it, even though it's great)

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

Dude, The Initiative is obviously working on the Azurik reboot. Either that or Ski Free.

Azurikcover.jpg

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

interesting

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
Dude, The Initiative is obviously working on the Azurik reboot. Either that or Ski Free.

Azurikcover.jpg
Unsure about the ownership of the Azurik IP. The developer Adrenium Games was part of Amaze Entertainment, which in turn was acquired by Foundation 9 Entertainment and was merged into Griptonite. Glu Mobile then acquired Griptonite, while Foundation 9 Entertainment was dissolved in 2015. This is probably why we haven't seen Azurik be made backwards compatible.

It wouldn't surprise me if THQ Nordic somehow came to own the IP and they are not even aware of it! :D

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think many Halo fans are dreaming about an "open-world" Halo ring with all its ambients, wildlife, biospheres and secrets to discover pretty much since Halo CE. It's not an easy task, but I'm confident the new engine, the added resources, as well as obviously the 5+ years of dev time, will make it possible for them to deliver quality.

We know they are aiming to give us back that feeling of mystery, wonder, unknown, exploration and discovery introduced in the "Halo" level in CE. This is kind of what I'm expecting Halo Infinite to be - obviously just with everything in a much greater scale and vision.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018
I think many Halo fans are dreaming about an "open-world" Halo ring with all its ambients, wildlife, biospheres and secrets to discover pretty much since Halo CE. It's not an easy task, but I'm confident the new engine, the added resources, as well as obviously the 5+ years of dev time, will make it possible for them to deliver quality.

We know they are aiming to give us back that feeling of mystery, wonder, unknown, exploration and discovery introduced in the "Halo" level in CE. This is kind of what I'm expecting Halo Infinite to be - obviously just with everything in a much greater scale and vision.

Sign me up, Chief.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Just looking at the post history of who is making these I cant enjoy a game unless I pay full price for it kind of threads is always pretty predictable.

Going to be funny as fuck when Sony eventually put their games day one on PS Now, what will these people do then? Probably start threads about how they see PS Now as such incredible value and that they're playing more games than ever.

They're about as transparent as Casper the Friendly Ghost wrapped in clingfilm.

That thread really was weird but this attitude of not being able to complete games unless I pay for it was kind of mind numbing to me. So much so I wish I had thread posting privileges to have this rebuttal as its own topic (instead I'll post it here).

If someone needs the pressure of having spent money for the game to complete it, then maybe they really don't like playing games or are buying games they don't enjoy for a myriad of reasons.

A game should keep our attention on its own, if it doesn't then maybe that game isn't for me. This is not to say it's a bad game just one that can't keep my focus.

This is the beauty of Game Pass, it helps me identify the games I enjoy and I don't feel guilty about stopping a game if I'm not.

Before I became a Game Pass subscriber I would fall into the hype for a game, buy it, and then only play it a few minutes. I did this a lot more than I care to admit. Since Game Pass I'm much better to identify if I'll enjoy a game not on Game Pass before I buy it.

I think the trick of really understanding Game Pass is finding that game you would never have bought and end up loving it to bits. For me that game was Graveyard Keeper. I adored that game and played it to death (even took the time to get all the achievements). It helped me understand more about myself as a gamer and that if I'm not enjoying a game it is perfectly okay to stop playing it. Not having that pressure of finishing the game because I paid for it is liberating! I now finish games because I enjoy them!

To bring it back around to the topic, for Xbox Game Studios it's even more important for them to create an engaging and enjoyable game because as easy it is now for a Game Pass subscriber to pick their game up, it's just as easy for them to drop it. Of course not every game is for everyone but for the people who might like it, the developer is really going to need that extra polish to make it stand out.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

I say this all the time, but Dishonoured 2! It got a massive upgrade on the X and is just an amazing game anyway.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm not all that surprised with all the people coming out critical of game pass. Same thing happened with iTunes, Kindle, Spotify and Netflix, hell the same thing happened with digital games. People hated Steam when it first started. People are always gonna rage against new mediums.

What's funny is that these "I prefer to own the game" people aren't really making any statement, because Xbox isn't going the Netflix. You're still paying in to Xbox when you buy the digital game, maybe not as much as with game pass, but still.

I do hate the people that are like "I prefer owning games to a subscription, so I used a loophole in a promotion to get game pass for free for two years.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Haha, don't be so melodramatic. If it were a team of 10 or 20 people, maybe panic but 343 is 500+. People join and people leave.

Yes, but the problem is that 343 industries are much too unstable. I have the impression that they do not have a real leader like Playground or the coalition. I really hope he makes a potential GOTY.

And look glassdoor, the majority of people say the same thing.

lack of leader
too many new employees so communication is shy
catastrophic tools (I hope this concerns the old engine)

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Mary Olson was the person named explicitly in last press release regarding Longo departure as person who "took over the campaign's development".

Source

Campaign is currently passing shaky time. Probably they have some too ambitious stuff in there and probably need someone who knows how to cut things and move forward fast. (Rod's biggest perk)

She moved to Midwinter Entertainment which is new Josh Holmes studio (ex343i H4 poncho) - maybe is not so dramatic, but it is kind of concerning that 343i named her main person for campaign at the time when she was moving out.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

I remember the interview, and ever since then I've been convinced they are doing perfect.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Who knows, the way how The Initiative says that they want to make the "next big thing" could also be a game like Fortnite that is built from the ground up for massive appeal.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018

That's what i hope since the announcement

Jan 4, 2018
That thread really was weird but this attitude of not being able to complete games unless I pay for it was kind of mind numbing to me. So much so I wish I had thread posting privileges to have this rebuttal as its own topic (instead I'll post it here).

If someone needs the pressure of having spent money for the game to complete it, then maybe they really don't like playing games or are buying games they don't enjoy for a myriad of reasons.

A game should keep our attention on its own, if it doesn't then maybe that game isn't for me. This is not to say it's a bad game just one that can't keep my focus.

This is the beauty of Game Pass, it helps me identify the games I enjoy and I don't feel guilty about stopping a game if I'm not.

Before I became a Game Pass subscriber I would fall into the hype for a game, buy it, and then only play it a few minutes. I did this a lot more than I care to admit. Since Game Pass I'm much better to identify if I'll enjoy a game not on Game Pass before I buy it.

I think the trick of really understanding Game Pass is finding that game you would never have bought and end up loving it to bits. For me that game was Graveyard Keeper. I adored that game and played it to death (even took the time to get all the achievements). It helped me understand more about myself as a gamer and that if I'm not enjoying a game it is perfectly okay to stop playing it. Not having that pressure of finishing the game because I paid for it is liberating! I now finish games because I enjoy them!

To bring it back around to the topic, for Xbox Game Studios it's even more important for them to create an engaging and enjoyable game because as easy it is now for a Game Pass subscriber to pick their game up, it's just as easy for them to drop it. Of course not every game is for everyone but for the people who might like it, the developer is really going to need that extra polish to make it stand out.
Great post and totally agree. It has happened to me a lot of times that I buy a game because "I might like it", end up not really liking it and "forcing" me to keep playing not to feel I threw money out of the window even though I don't really want to keep playing it.
Since Game Pass I only buy games I know for certain I like and the "maybe I like it" I just wait in case they get to Game Pass so I can try or simply play other games that I may like that are on the service

Oct 26, 2018
Unsure about the ownership of the Azurik IP. The developer Adrenium Games was part of Amaze Entertainment, which in turn was acquired by Foundation 9 Entertainment and was merged into Griptonite. Glu Mobile then acquired Griptonite, while Foundation 9 Entertainment was dissolved in 2015. This is probably why we haven't seen Azurik be made backwards compatible.

It wouldn't surprise me if THQ Nordic somehow came to own the IP and they are not even aware of it! :D
It's kwned by Microsoft, they just don't use it

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but the problem is that 343 industries are much too unstable. I have the impression that they do not have a real leader like Playground or the coalition. I really hope he makes a potential GOTY.

lack of leader
343i's leader is always Bonnie Ross.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

lack of leader
You're wrong, not sure I can convince you of that but just know that you are.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Gears 6 should lean even harder into decisions. I want a full mass effect 2 style campaign of recruiting new squad mates and consequences.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same they did when they were bashing Xbox for requiring a subscription for online play during the PS3/360 era, and then discovering Sony was going to do the same on PS4.

Man I remember the backlash (Sony Fanboys) when the Xbox first had "Achievements". Now people are pissed if games don't have them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I have open world burnout however would be excited with open world Halo. Halo's gameplay is conducive to open world better than almost any other game. You have vehicles for travel. Due to the sandbox and tight gameplay, random enemy encounters would be fun. Halo CE reuses assets like crazy yet it's fun as hell to this day. It still has the best wide levels in the franchise. I'm about to replay ODST which also gives a template for how Halo open or wide world would work. Different setups of the assets change the engagements to keep them fun.

This is why Halo would work with an open world. Open worlds often get boring because the core combat gets boring. Changing terrain and enemy placement keeps Halo interesting because of its well balanced weapon sandbox as long as the enemies are dynamic like the Covenant. I can replay Halo CE over and over because the combat stays fun. I have really high hopes with Infinite expanding Halo. Halo is never at its best when it's in tight corridors.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to be worried but if we look it from a pessimistic point of view:

- After Tim leaving, you wouldn't handle the campaign to someone who is also leaving. It does not make any sense, not from an organisational point of view neither from a PR point of view. This usually happens when there is no clear or shared vision of what the game or some core parts of it need to be.
- Most recent Glassdoor reviews have 3 negative points in common: abusive use of contractors (specially for art, design and code departments), lack of a "core studio" (most people leave after 1-2 years, lack of knowledge sharing and own culture) and messy tools.
- The studio could be more communicative regarding the development of the game. From the looks of it, the game must be in full production now, and must've been for about another year (again, full production stage. Not talking about the entire development process). These leadership changes happening now are never a good sign.

However, it's going to be okay, as always. 343 has always managed to ship their projects regardless of development issues. What matters is that their vision stays clear and true to what they've been talking about: going back to that essence of mystery, wonder and discovery while readying and advancing the franchise towards its future.

Status
Not open for further replies.