• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Za3lBFK.gif
One more because rewatching the Ori and The Will of The Wisps E3 trailers made me hype again :)

QyWIdmZ.gif
tenor.gif

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I still think people on this forum underestimate the potential of the Gears IP. Especially after the events of Gears 5, there's a lot of room for branching out beyond just the mainline TPS games. Tactics is definitely on paper a great concept for a sidegame but i'm even more curious what other types of sidegames or possible collaborations we will be seeing related to Gears.

MS quite literally tripling down on Gears is an amazing move.

Oct 25, 2017
All the negative gamepass threads are exhausting. And it will only happen more and more with each new big game hitting the the service.

I really wish Microsoft would give out sub numbers. Or zhuge or someone could give some insight to how a game like gears affected member growth.

Once their subs hit a meaningful number I'm sure they will be disclosed in their financial reporting as a new 15$ service with say 10 million subs would pull in 1.8 billion revenue a year and likely help boost stock prices.

Some fanboys whining is pure envy.

Every single great news about Xbox and Microsoft they make 5~6 threads per day with fake concerning. They're pure trolls. Next year with the new generation all this bullshit and fakes will be 100x worse.

Xbox Game Pass is the best thing in years, more accessibility, more people can play, more populated games. With more players, more money, more investment, more games, better games, more diversity, more devs, more studios, more people working. It's a infinity cicle of good things.

Also you still can buy your games, with discounts.

Microsoft is giving us all the options.

And this is amazing.

A single game here in Brasil is around R$249. One year of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate without all the crazy discounts is R$479, less than 2 Games.
Xbox Game Pass PC = 100+ Games
Xbox Game Pass Xbox = 200+ Games
Xbox Games with Gold = 48 Games
You can play 348+ games per year paying just R$479.
How this is bad thing?
People are crazy, some fanboys are just toxic.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I had a recent experience with the first part, not having to pay full price for Gears 5 allowed me some spare money to pay for Borderlands 3. I'm sure there are lots of people that did the same. It just creates more purchase options.

Yeah, I will buy a copy of Gears 5 eventually (own a copy of every Gears game, plus a load of extra stuff!), but the fact I didn't have to buy it at full price, at launch, has allowed me to just pre-order Indivisible :)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Obsidian just opened up 12 new positions. The studio - as already reported before - now lists over 200 employees.

• Unreal Engine 4
  • Day and night cycle
  • first-person melee & ranged combat gameplay
  • AAA
  • high profile role-playing game

Could it possibly be that PoE based first person RPG perhaps? It doesn't mention Sci fi, so seems like it won't be a follow up to ToW. If it's fantasy, ranged can mean bows, magic, right? And melee is swords, axes etc. Let this be the one where they can go "all out" budget wise. I want to see something huge from these people.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I got a question for everyone here in the thread, since I don't wanna make a thread about it because it'll more than likely turn into a shitshow. What made all of you fans of XBox? What drew you in? For me, ove probably played on the OG XBox the least during it's generation, but I probably had my best gaming experience on it. From first booting up jade empire, playing NBA Ballers and Matt Hoffman BMX with my cousins, to playing CD's , to playing dead or alive 3.

I really came into the xbox during the 360 days. First big reason was Xbox Live. I grew up in a big family with 5 kids and we always played together, but we got older, moved to different states, but when we realized how xbox live worked we all got 360s and the whole generation felt like we were playing together like a family again! And virtua fighter 5 came out with online play and it was all over, our favorite series, online, we could chat and play and it was amazing.

I am also always going to have a soft spot for Microsoft, I dropped out of college, and Microsoft Game Studios hired me as a software engineer for a Halo game. I don't work on games anymore, but Microsoft started my career as a software engineer, and I still have many friends there and do contract work with them pretty often.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I got a question for everyone here in the thread, since I don't wanna make a thread about it because it'll more than likely turn into a shitshow. What made all of you fans of XBox? What drew you in? For me, ove probably played on the OG XBox the least during it's generation, but I probably had my best gaming experience on it. From first booting up jade empire, playing NBA Ballers and Matt Hoffman BMX with my cousins, to playing CD's , to playing dead or alive 3. Shit, to this day I still put up 3 fingers like this

I'm one of young peeps in here (21 yrs old) so OG Xbox was the first system that i owned. Played games such as Midtown Madness 3, Burnout Revenge, Rayman 3 and several others. Bought a 360 a year or so after launch and heavily enjoyed Civilization Revolution. I was used to playing on a local account, so none of my progress from 360 is on my current XBL account. I wasn't into gaming for a couple years but got back into gaming in like 2014 and in 2015 i bought a Gears UE XB1 bundle.

I think i'm just too invested in the Xbox ecosystem for me to even consider buying two (main) consoles. I wouldn't be able to keep up honestly lol. Gears is already consuming a major portion of my time :D

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I got a question for everyone here in the thread, since I don't wanna make a thread about it because it'll more than likely turn into a shitshow. What made all of you fans of XBox? What drew you in?

Gears of War during winter 2007 at my friend's house. It was an experience that rivaled my first contact with video games 20 years before.
Screenshots of the beautiful Kameo had already peeked my interest two years before.
A few months later, I watched a "The first 20 minutes of Lost Odyssey" video - which left me longing to stay in this world when the 20 minutes were up.

For various reasons though I bought my first Xbox only in 2015.
Among the first games I played were Gears U.E., Gears 2, 3, Judgment, then Ori and the Blind Forest, interleaved with Forza Horizon 2 until shortly after Gears 4 came out. After that I started Blue Dragon which kept me busy for about four months.
I felt like I was in heaven.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
My first impression of Bleeding Edge is that I don't think I want to ever play this game with randoms. Whenever you are outnumbered you get destroyed and can't even run away because you have to stand still for a few seconds when activating your hoverboard. And not being outnumbered is a problem when your team mates keep quitting.

Oct 26, 2018
I'm one of young peeps in here (21 yrs old) so OG Xbox was the first system that i owned. Played games such as Midtown Madness 3, Burnout Revenge, Rayman 3 and several others. Bought a 360 a year or so after launch and heavily enjoyed Civilization Revolution. I was used to playing on a local account, so none of my progress from 360 is on my current XBL account. I wasn't into gaming for a couple years but got back into gaming in like 2014 and in 2015 i bought a Gears UE XB1 bundle.

I think i'm just too invested in the Xbox ecosystem for me to even consider buying two (main) consoles. I wouldn't be able to keep up honestly lol. Gears is already consuming a major portion of my time :D
Wasn't expecting to see another young buck( I'm 22) here

And woow, was not expecting so many responses to my post. It's so interesting how so many people had experiences woth Xbox, whether OG or 360. I was probably 6 when I first played the og one. Bit my first halo experience was playing the pc version at an Aaron's furniture while my mother bought some stuff

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I got a question for everyone here in the thread, since I don't wanna make a thread about it because it'll more than likely turn into a shitshow. What made all of you fans of XBox? What drew you in?

I saw friends playing stuff like Ninja Gaiden and JSRF and Halo (which I wasn't that fond of at the time) and thought that was pretty cool, even though I was a PS2 guy, and later I saw Eternal Sonata, Gears of War, and Dead Rising and thought they looked stunning, but never took the leap until later. See, my first console of the following gen was the Wii, and I was so hyped for Brawl, more so than any other game I'd ever played (I was a semi-competitive Melee player and had put hundreds and hundreds of hours into that game) and Brawl's online worked ONCE. One time, and that was launch night. It never worked again after that. It didn't help that the game was a fucking abomination. I put maybe 65 hours total into it out of obligation before I threw my hands up and preordered the red Resident Evil 5 Xbox 360 because I loved 4 and thought red was a great color for a console (it's still one of the best-looking consoles ever made). One thing that helped me make the transition was that I was a MASSIVE Tales fanboy, and I was able to snag a copy of the Vesperia steelbook off of Amazon while they were still taking preorders, and that sat on my shelf just staring at me, begging me to buy the console to play it. It wouldn't have to wait long, and while all the people I knew who bought a PS3 for JRPGs whined because they expected games to materialize by virtue of having purchased the console, I got to play what would become my favorite Tales game a decade before my PlayStation friends ever got the chance (no, Ni no Kuni was not an acceptable substitute; cut that shit out).

So yeah, Gears, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, and Brawl not having functional online and being an embarrassing turd is what led me to Xbox's doorstep.

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I just beat shadow of war campaign. Booting up metal gear survive for the first time trying it out. And its pretty damn fun. The hate the game got is confusing but I'm enjoying it. Thanks game pass. Without it I would have never tried this game.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
My first impression of Bleeding Edge is that I don't think I want to ever play this game with randoms. Whenever you are outnumbered you get destroyed and can't even run away because you have to stand still for a few seconds when activating your hoverboard. And not being outnumbered is a problem when your team mates keep quitting.
This is actually why I don't like the game. It doesn't seem to be much but constant respawning because you can't really get away from attacks (especially with certain characters). Maybe just some balancing issues.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game but that pretty much seems like overwatch. Once the game actually comes out you will have the people that are more competitive and actually wanna play it right

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
For me it was somewhat tied into the Dreamcast dying and seeing all the support that Sega was giving the Xbox that made it an easy choice to get. I always preferred Sega consoles/games over Nintendo and Sony. When I bought the OG Xbox of course I had Halo but did not get into it till about a year or so later, there was so many other great games on the system. Xbox Live tough is what really took it to a new level. Made a lot of on-line friends that are still on my GT list today and had such a blast. I worked in the industry at the retail side of things and was able to gain access to early games and get into testing/beta's and attended almost every E3. I still remember the booths they set up when they first showed off Xbox Live.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I need to read the NDA and see how much I'm allowed to say about Bleeding Edge. I played a few matches today, I have thoughts.

Oct 26, 2018
did you find it troublesome to escape melee attacks?

(and yeah I probably should review that NDA myself although they seem to retweet some players impressions.)
At first yea, it seemed like once they got close enough, you were done, but I started sticking close to my team and we started wrecking

( I think the NDA mostly says no screenshots or videos mostly)

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Obsidian just opened up 12 new positions. The studio - as already reported before - now lists over 200 employees.

Those positions have been open for quite some time now. They just re-posted them 5 days ago. Especially the programming positions have been open for months already. Though they have picked few programmers here and there during the year.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
We were wondering earlier about the 5 (possible) projects by Obsidian. Perez, Brennecke and Sawyer have been confirmed as project/game directors. 4th project is being lead by Brandon Adler who lead the the DLC team for Deadfire. If Parker is actually leading the 5th project, then there's the 5 directors for their 5 possible games or one of the older projects has been scrapped.
"
Game Director
Dates Employed
Jan 2018 – Present
Employment Duration
1 yr 9 mos

Worked on:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire DLC - Game Director
Unannounced Title - Game Director
"

20. Mississippi - ???
21. Illinois - ???
22. Alabama - ???
23. Maine - ???
24. Missouri - Sawyer's Project

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
So I bought a 1x couple of days age. And now I own another xbox after 7 years. Gamepass is mindblowing. There are so many games to play and it has great value. Frankly i used the promo to turn gold into gpu but even if I had paid the full price I would have been happy for what I got.
One thing that is so cool about gamepass is that you get to play some games that you never have tried otherwise. Like im not into sides scrollers that much but I realy liked ori. I never knew it was this challenging and satisfying.
Or state of decay 2 scores were offputting but once i played it i loved it. Survival elements, management coupled with good combat is realy ticking so many boxes for me.

I finished gears 4 and im going for gears 5 now.
Gears 4 had great shooting (as always) and i liked some set pieces ( act V was cool). But whats up with these characters dropping from nowhere. So who is kait and her mother, why should i care about them, what are their significance. I think it is suggested that jd and kait have feelings for each other but not a single dialogue about it. Then there is these walks between combat rooms and there are some banter which some of them are good but there is no character building in these dialogues, who is del, he is jd's best friend since they were children, but that's it. You don't get any history between them. I feel like i missing a game or two between gears 3 and 4 and i just know marcus and i just care for him. Naughty dog does companion in their games for just one purpose and its character building and storytelling. Here we have 3 companions that have gameplay significance and the game was designed around companions and coop. But they didn't utilize the existence of del, kait and marcus to develop characters and flesh out story. Maybe there is media around these characters that i haven't seen or read and If thats the case it was a huge mistake they did this. Im starting gears 5 and i don't realy care about the character that the game is revolving around.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So I bought a 1x couple of days age. And now I own another xbox after 7 years. Gamepass is mindblowing. There are so many games to play and it has great value. Frankly i used the promo to turn gold into gpu but even if I had paid the full price I would have been happy for what I got.
One thing that is so cool about gamepass is that you get to play some games that you never have tried otherwise. Like im not into sides scrollers that much but I realy liked ori. I never knew it was this challenging and satisfying.
Or state of decay 2 scores were offputting but once i played it i loved it. Survival elements, management coupled with good combat is realy ticking so many boxes for me.

I finished gears 4 and im going for gears 5 now.
Gears 4 had great shooting (as always) and i liked some set pieces ( act V was cool). But whats up with these characters dropping from nowhere. So who is kait and her mother, why should i care about them, what are their significance. I think it is suggested that jd and kait have feelings for each other but not a single dialogue about it. Then there is these walks between combat rooms and there are some banter which some of them are good but there is no character building in these dialogues, who is del, he is jd's best friend since they were children, but that's it. You don't get any history between them. I feel like i missing a game or two between gears 3 and 4 and i just know marcus and i just care for him. Naughty dog does companion in their games for just one purpose and its character building and storytelling. Here we have 3 companions that have gameplay significance and the game was designed around companions and coop. But they didn't utilize the existence of del, kait and marcus to develop characters and flesh out story. Maybe there is media around these characters that i haven't seen or read and If thats the case it was a huge mistake they did this. Im starting gears 5 and i don't realy care about the character that the game is revolving around.
Have you played Gears 1-3?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
X019 is too late for The Outer Worlds. It's understandable they want to give this a push from their side. It's a game by one of their studios that deserves the same attention as the other studios, even if it isn't a full first-party game.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
X019 is too late for The Outer Worlds. It's understandable they want to give this a push from their side.
Dont think a Inside Xbox show is gonna do much tho. State of play with be talked about and inside xbox not. Because its not gonna be special.
I mean they even announced Jump force last week for gamepass. Why not wait a week. Like i said it feels like a unnecessary episode really.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take an Inside Xbox every month with a bonanza episode for E3 and XO, you dont have to have brain exploding content everytime just highlight games coming from first and third party studios, reveal some Game Pass releases and have a few interviews with devs.

Acquisitions and proper game announcements/reveals you leave for the two big shows of the year. If Sony weren't doing there SoP people wouldn't even be considering that they shouldn't do an IX.

Inside Xbox in a few days with XO19 and the Game Awards to close out the year, sounds pretty great to me.

Aug 26, 2018
X019 is too late for The Outer Worlds. It's understandable they want to give this a push from their side. It's a game by one of their studios that deserves the same attention as the other studios, even if it isn't a full first-party game.

I agree with you in that The Outer Worlds is the biggest Xbox Game Studios game of the year even above Gears 5 I think.

They need to do 3 things:

1. Move the Freakin date from Oct 25 to Oct 12/Nov 1 because releasing on the same day as COD is absolutely not worth it. All streamers will be on COD.
2. Give Keycodes to streamers (First 6 hrs) one week before and let them go wild. Thats the best marketing Outer Worlds can get.
3. Bundle Xbox One S/X with Gears 5/Outer Worlds, throw in Fifa 20 and that will sell a ton of consoles in Europe especially for Black Friday.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take an Inside Xbox every month with a bonanza episode for E3 and XO, you dont have to have brain exploding content everytime just highlight games coming from first and third party studios, reveal some Game Pass releases and have a few interviews with devs.

Acquisitions and proper game announcements/reveals you leave for the two big shows of the year. If Sony weren't doing there SoP people wouldn't even be considering that they shouldn't do an IX.

Inside Xbox in a few days with XO19 and the Game Awards to close out the year, sounds pretty great to me.

I already said doing this month a inside xbox feels abit useless before state of play was announced tho.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you in that The Outer Worlds is the biggest Xbox Game Studios game of the year even above Gears 5 I think.

They need to do 3 things:

1. Move the Freakin date from Oct 25 to Oct 12/Nov 1 because releasing on the same day as COD is absolutely not worth it. All streamers will be on COD.
2. Give Keycodes to streamers (First 6 hrs) one week before and let them go wild. Thats the best marketing Outer Worlds can get.
3. Bundle Xbox One S/X with Gears 5/Outer Worlds, throw in Fifa 20 and that will sell a ton of consoles in Europe especially for Black Friday.
MS in not in charge of marketing for this game. ;)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I don't think that's right. It was on their E3 stage and it's a prominent part of gamepass. MS has a vested interest in Outer Wilds getting a lot of buzz for various reasons. Also they have marketing for ghost recon. Those 2 games need to get more buzz before their release
MS cant change releasedates or is in charge of giving codes for streamers.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I got a question for everyone here in the thread, since I don't wanna make a thread about it because it'll more than likely turn into a shitshow. What made all of you fans of XBox? What drew you in? For me, ove probably played on the OG XBox the least during it's generation, but I probably had my best gaming experience on it. From first booting up jade empire, playing NBA Ballers and Matt Hoffman BMX with my cousins, to playing CD's , to playing dead or alive 3. Shit, to this day I still put up 3 fingers like this
latest

For me it was primarily playing Xbox console exclusives on PC, most notably Halo: CE and Fable: The Lost Chapters. That's why it always amuses me when people suggest that putting their games on PC will hurt MS. No, it won't, they'll make more money, and extend their influence. And if some of their new fans one day consider getting a console, they might pick what they're already somewhat familiar with, just like I did (although, to be fair, my first console was a PS2, because a friend gave me a good deal on his barely used one).

Other than that, XBLA and the wealth of arcade-like games on Xbox 360 really cemented it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.