• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The reviews sound great to me, you people should really stop obsessing over aggregate scores. My GOTY is, what, in the 60s? That didn't make me enjoy it any less. Now, what do I do until this unlocks?

Gears POP!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think it'd be a great way to counter these "my camp is winning" attitude that resemble sports so much were if reviews worked on a scale from 1-5:

1 - Hands off (technical disaster, unplayable, totally outdated, ripoff between money spent and playtime etc.)
2 - only for hardcore, die-hard fans (noticeable weaknesses in many aspects of game design, but if you are truly enthusiastic about the game's premise, you can try, but you have been warned)
3 - suited for genre fans (a really solid entry with good mechanics/graphics/narration, but it didn't set the world on fire with new groundbreaking standards)
4 - great game (an all-around super good game with certain stand-out elements)
5 - all-time great (game of the year candidate, eligble for game of the gen discussion, a game people will still be talking about in five to ten years time)

Astral Chain, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn and Gears 5 would all fit in that 4/5 category and I think this is their right spot anyways, with individual preferences and debate for everybody possible what they like best and for whatever reason. Not sure it would stop all those silly wars, but at least you wouldn't be comparing 85 to 87 anymore.

Also, even if we need to use Metacritic, filtering out the top and bottom 5% would seem reasonable to avoid click bait and get a better average consensus opinion.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I really hate reviews sometimes. I mean yes they can be helpful and aren't entirely worthless, I just hate how much stock people put in reviews at large. Not their favorite reviewer, not a guy that reviews games and usually has the same taste as them, but all reviews anywhere.

I ask people if they're excited for a game or if they're playing it and they just say "I heard it wasn't reviewing that well". First off, that's not what I asked, if I wanted someone else's opinion I'd have asked them, second it really grinds my gears when they say that and then I found out the game is in the 70-89 range. That's a good score dude, that's above average.

I understand the point of Metacritic aggregating reviews so that bias is removed, but I don't understand why one person would use Metacritic and Metacritic alone. It makes more sense to me to find some people you generally agree with and follow their reviews, instead of just flattening everything out and saying "if most people like it I'm sure I will too". I mean I guess it works, average is average for a reason, but it's sooooooo boring.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I mean it's campaign so it's going to look better
I know, but this looks insane for dynamic 4k/60 fps console game. God of War has a similar level of post processing effects, but it runs at 1080p and framerate is far from stable.

Talking about reviews, if I'm not sold on the game, I'll watch ACG. He talks in depth about every aspect of the game, gives a shit about perfomance, even if i disagree with him, i can understand where he's coming from, and than i can decide if this certain aspect of the game would bother me at all.

Last edited:

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Finally, after all of this time, I finally got into the Bleeding Edge Alpha....

... right before Gears 5 comes out ...

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wish my Gears 5 X1X would ship from the Microsoft store already so I can stare at the tracking page constantly refreshing...

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Can't believe I'll be playing this tomorrow night. I am ready. The reviews are really good, let jabroni a argue over 1-2 meta critic points if they want. What game in the last couple years has a 10+ hour campaign, horse, escape, and full multiplayer to the level gears five will. Nothing will be released to this scale until Halo drops next year. Enjoy it

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow Gears 5 emotional trailer please!

giphy.gif

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Steam Top Sellers has to be revenue, there's no way that the Steam Index VR $1000 bundle is selling more units than all of these games lol.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone clear this up for me?

I have Game Pass ultimate. I am in the US. When can I play this game?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think it's units because games with steep discounts will start showing up quickly enough on top-sellers list.
On the Global charts the $1000 VR bundle is the #3 item. In the US, it's #1. Do you really mean to tell me that the Steam Index is selling more units than Global #4 $15 Witcher 3 right now? Cuz I find that REALLY, REALLY hard to believe. Revenue makes sense (and yet, I'm still flabbergasted that VR is selling that well. Color me skeptical.)

Oct 26, 2018
I really hate reviews sometimes. I mean yes they can be helpful and aren't entirely worthless, I just hate how much stock people put in reviews at large. Not their favorite reviewer, not a guy that reviews games and usually has the same taste as them, but all reviews anywhere.

I ask people if they're excited for a game or if they're playing it and they just say "I heard it wasn't reviewing that well". First off, that's not what I asked, if I wanted someone else's opinion I'd have asked them, second it really grinds my gears when they say that and then I found out the game is in the 70-89 range. That's a good score dude, that's above average.

I understand the point of Metacritic aggregating reviews so that bias is removed, but I don't understand why one person would use Metacritic and Metacritic alone. It makes more sense to me to find some people you generally agree with and follow their reviews, instead of just flattening everything out and saying "if most people like it I'm sure I will too". I mean I guess it works, average is average for a reason, but it's sooooooo boring.
I mean it's sitting good rn on Meta and open critic with both at 86%

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. I just finished the new Gears book and it was pretty solid! No huge revelations but it was a nice filler adventure between Gears 4 and 5. I refuse to watch the Gears 5 campaign footage ahead of time, so I'll be curious to see where the game starts in relation to the book.

With that, I just need to finish my re-play of Gears 4 and I'll be set for 5! The hardest part will deciding if I want to wait until Saturday when my new TV arrives to start playing.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I wasn't talking about Gears, just games and reviews in general. There's a guy I work with and a bunch of people I went to school with that I'll ask every now and then about a game, trying to make conversation, and they immediately go to the Metacritic score.

It's more about the text of the review, I've come to realize. I've got some quirks that I just can't get around (overly linear design and regen health for example) that reviewers aren't really going to mark off for.

For me, gameplay clips and/or developer interviews where they describe systems in detail are what get the job done for me. This almost never lets me down.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's more about the text of the review, I've come to realize. I've got some quirks that I just can't get around (overly linear design and regen health for example) that reviewers aren't really going to mark off for.

For me, gameplay clips and/or developer interviews where they describe systems in detail are what get the job done for me. This almost never lets me down.

Yeah, no, for sure. I still read some reviews, more to know about little quirks or things that I may not expect, but I usually stick to a few reviewers that I know like similar things to me.

Gameplay videos I only really use for party or casual games, not anything story heavy just because I'd rather do the story myself. I always try to do them for multiplayer games but I rarely enjoy the Gameplay video as much as I enjoy the actual play. Developer interviews and stuff yeah, that I eat up.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, no, for sure. I still read some reviews, more to know about little quirks or things that I may not expect, but I usually stick to a few reviewers that I know like similar things to me.

Gameplay videos I only really use for party or casual games, not anything story heavy just because I'd rather do the story myself. I always try to do them for multiplayer games but I rarely enjoy the Gameplay video as much as I enjoy the actual play. Developer interviews and stuff yeah, that I eat up.

I feel like you said no to my post and then restated my post in a different way, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.