• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Well, a lot of the people that went up to preview aren't press people. I know I saw some content creators, Xbox superfans, and even YouTube guide makers talking about the trip so I think this is separate from any kind of press review coverage.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Some do but that isn't what is going on here. Like Rod said it's the first day of their campaign preview tour which means people are playing the game at their studio presumably since we've seen certain press members there.
Ah, I somehow missed that. I guess I just don't see the point of making everyone go there when people could just download it. Maybe to make sure they were all playing at the same time for MP stuff.

Hmm maybe but most games aren't doing previews a week before they release and reviews hit. Just seems strange to me.

True, but there has been a lot of negative talk (since e3 this year) in regards to the campaign. Everyone thought that because it hasn't really been seen or talked about since last year's e3, the campaign must have been troubled or not very good. This is their chance to get some really positive news leading into launch, and Xbox could use a win going into next gen

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Not everyone thought that. I didn't think that. I always just assumed they wanted to show off all the other modes coupled with keeping the story beats a secret.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Creating demos takes time. Time = man hours = diverting resources = crunch. If studios are truly going to do all they can to avoid crunch, demos have to go. I suspect we'll see the same from Halo Infinite.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
That's a good point, too. A demo a month or more out wouldn't have been indicative of the finished product and would have to have been semi-developed omin its own right.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I look at like you are having press travel to your studio to play however much of the campaign for a preview only to then turn around and hand out a review key a few days later and ask them to play through that same content again. That is why it seems a little unnecessary to me. A month ago or maybe 2-3 weeks sure but days before reviews are sent out is out of the ordinary.
I agree tho. Said the same earlier also. I mean it's abit weird.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I look at like you are having press travel to your studio to play however much of the campaign for a preview only to then turn around and hand out a review key a few days later and ask them to play through that same content again. That is why it seems a little unnecessary to me. A month ago or maybe 2-3 weeks sure but days before reviews are sent out is out of the ordinary.

Why even embargo it, let them comment as they preview it.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
So it seems that Control is a must play for Alan wake fans. It's mentioned by multiple reviewers. So it's a bit sad the relation with remedy soured a little over time. Maybe they should have given them one more chance after QB. If Control is a success maybe ms should consider bringing remedy in again. I really loved AW. Remedy could bring those single player experiences to Xbox that they seek.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Control is a reminder of how much it hurts MS wouldn't greenlight a QB2. Remedy is going to be the one that got away...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Control is a reminder of how much it hurts MS wouldn't greenlight a QB2. Remedy is going to be the one that got away...

Quantum Break sits below 80 on Metacritic and didn't sell well. Control is mildly more appreciated and will sell a bit more because of its multiplatform nature, not because it's such an infinitely better game from what we've seen. And I seriously doubt the game is gonna sell particularly well overall, and in fact I'd be willing to bet that it'll be on Game Pass and similar services before this time next year to recoup some costs.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Quantum Break sits below 80 on Metacritic and didn't sell well. Control is mildly more appreciated and will sell a bit more because of its multiplatform nature, not because it's such an infinitely better game from what we've seen. And I seriously doubt the game is gonna sell particularly well overall, and in fact I'd be willing to bet that it'll be on Game Pass and similar services before this time next year to recoup some costs.

Agreed. Its a good game but not a great game.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control won't be a Game Pass title anytime soon, not with the deal they have with PlayStation.

Hope it does well for Remedy but it isn't screaming MUST BUY and I've already got too much to play with more coming imminently.

DMC 5 into Blair Witch into Gears 5 - what a week. Control I'll pick up in a sale.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, it doesn't need to sell that well to be lucrative. Remedy's CEO is on record as stating Control's budget is between $22m and $33m and considered a "very safe" project.

It has reviewed pretty well too, and in particular the major critics seem to be warming to it, hence the critic rating over at OpenCritic is 90%. But I do agree that it likely won't sell very well, but again, neither does it have to.

Remedy CEO said:
"We would say it's about a sensible budget and scope. Being able to create a full-price triple-A game is really hard," Virtala explained.

"Being able to do that on a budget of €20m to €30m is very safe. It's been about three years now and at the peak of production we had about 100 developers on average."

He continued: "I can't give you the exact number, but within one-to-two million units, we will have broken even. After that we are profitable."

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Control won't be a Game Pass title anytime soon, not with the deal they have with PlayStation.

Hope it does well for Remedy but it isn't screaming MUST BUY and I've already got too much to play with more coming imminently.

DMC 5 into Blair Witch into Gears 5 - what a week. Control I'll pick up in a sale.
I don't see there is any kind of huge deal(only some side quest) that will blocking game pass release, i mean Xbox channel also uploaded the launch trailer, poster included XB1 version, hell in my country for unknown reason Epic store and Xbox store released the digital version already meanwhile PS store need to wait til Sept 7 lol.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it doesn't need to sell that well to be lucrative. Remedy's CEO is on record as stating Control's budget is between $22m and $33m and considered a "very safe" project.

It has reviewed pretty well too, and in particular the major critics seem to be warming to it, hence the critic rating over at OpenCritic is 90%. But I do agree that it likely won't sell very well, but again, neither does it have to.

The Remedy CEO talks about having to sell 1-2 million units to break even and then beyond that it's profit. I mean, are those really such easy numbers though? Apples to oranges perhaps but Overkill's The Walking Dead game sold only 100k in its first month. Marvel VS Capcom Infinite was supposed to sell at least 2 millions but it sold half of that. Reviews are positive for Control but the hype isn't enormous from what I've seen (anecdotal, I know). I wish the best for Remedy as I have excellent memories with their games (Death Rally, Max Payne and Alan Wake in particular) but I absolutely don't fault Microsoft for not sticking around their work. They delivered a whopping two games in a decade, the first is a cult classic but it didn't sell all that well, the second didn't do too well with critics and sold even worse. Both were expensive products to make, both went through a bit of a development hell and a change of scope during development. When Control was revealed, it looked like Quantum Break 2.0, which bombed. Microsoft isn't a charity, they couldn't keep on throwing hundreds of millions of dollars into Remedy hoping that one day one of their games won't bomb. They parted amicably and that's it.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see there is any kind of huge deal(only some side quest) that will blocking game pass release, i mean Xbox channel also uploaded the launch trailer, poster included XB1 version, hell in my country for unknown reason Epic store and Xbox store released the digital version already meanwhile PS store need to wait til Sept 7 lol.

It's more an overall marketing deal that PlayStation has with 505 Games and Remedy, I'd fully expect a clause in the contract that wouldn't allow Control to go onto Game Pass within a set window, I wouldn't expect that announcement anytime soon if ever.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
It's more an overall marketing deal that PlayStation has with 505 Games and Remedy, I'd fully expect a clause in the contract that wouldn't allow Control to go onto Game Pass within a set window, I wouldn't expect that announcement anytime soon if ever.
That's kind of lame marketing deal then, i mean i don't see the game have marketing at all.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
So are you guys hoping that Control bombs so that MS can buy them or something? Is that the game we're playing now?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
But those people aren't hoping that it bombs. They just think it will commercially. I hope Remedy gets what it needs to flourish regardless of platform.war nonsense.

Aug 26, 2018

I think you are under-estimating the reach this time.

Its going to sell really well based on Reviews, initial impressions etc. and will be 3-4 Million by the end of the year I think. There is way more buzz for this game than Quantum Break. Waiting for it to drop to 30-40$ before picking it up.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Remedy CEO talks about having to sell 1-2 million units to break even and then beyond that it's profit. I mean, are those really such easy numbers though? Apples to oranges perhaps but Overkill's The Walking Dead game sold only 100k in its first month. Marvel VS Capcom Infinite was supposed to sell at least 2 millions but it sold half of that. Reviews are positive for Control but the hype isn't enormous from what I've seen (anecdotal, I know). I wish the best for Remedy as I have excellent memories with their games (Death Rally, Max Payne and Alan Wake in particular) but I absolutely don't fault Microsoft for not sticking around their work. They delivered a whopping two games in a decade, the first is a cult classic but it didn't sell all that well, the second didn't do too well with critics and sold even worse. Both were expensive products to make, both went through a bit of a development hell and a change of scope during development. When Control was revealed, it looked like Quantum Break 2.0, which bombed. Microsoft isn't a charity, they couldn't keep on throwing hundreds of millions of dollars into Remedy hoping that one day one of their games won't bomb. They parted amicably and that's it.

They've already advance sales are positive from selected markets, so I think they'll eventually break even. Even if they don't, it's a new start for them and Control isn't the only iron in the fire right now.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Remedy is a dev I really like because they make uniquely weird, yet coherent shit. Gaming landscape is better with them being successful...regardless of who it's with. Doesn't look like it'll be with Xbox so I think the topic has jumped the shark in this OT. Chalk it up to poor management in the past. Learning experience for Xbox execs...who're obviously applying those lessons by giving studios breathing room now.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Cool, so the Remedy stuff is completely unrelated to Xbox Game Studios. No more badmouthing about Remedy in this thread then?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

I'm fine with that. But what I don't think is fine at all are those annoying exclusivity deals. Are players on Xbox actually going to miss out on a side mission and some other stuff, while PS4 gets all of that for itself? That kind of nonsense has to stop. I don't find timed deals a huge deal, but this shit reminds me of Activision with Destiny.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Creating demos takes time. Time = man hours = diverting resources = crunch. If studios are truly going to do all they can to avoid crunch, demos have to go. I suspect we'll see the same from Halo Infinite.
There's a lot of merit to making demos tho? Demos/betas enable valuable public feedback to inform and guide development, and enable complex stress-testing. Overwatch, and hell even Halo 5 wouldn't have been as successful if it weren't for the community input provided by their beta programs. They're also often a very valuable marketing tool.

343i won't be abandoning demos for Infinite when for years now they've been championing their 'Flight' program and how every future Halo game will have a beta.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I'm really sad about Control. It interested me because I really liked Quantum Break (one of my game of the generation), but it seems closer to Alan Wake than Quantum Break. Really disappointing.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really sad about Control. It interested me because I really liked Quantum Break (one of my game of the generation), but it seems closer to Alan Wake than Quantum Break. Really disappointing.

You say that because of the atmosphere and tone?

Played a little over 3h so far and its combat and design of the encounters remind me much more of QB.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Btw how long is Quantum Break campaign playtime.
I'm asking not because want to compare it to control btw.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I went to school with a guy who is working at the initiative. Pretty cool to see him get so far. I wasn't close with him or anything but I checked his LinkedIn. He also worked at naughty dog. Pretty excited to see what they will make.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Have you not seen post here about this game in the last few OTs...... Alot of people said similar things , thinking it'll bomb and it would be easier for remedy to be acquired
Err, I haven't seen that at all. I have seen people saying that the game will bomb, who knows if they're right. But I and others have said that if the game does poorly, there's even less chance of MS (or Sony) trying to acquire them. The ideal situation is that Remedy does SO well that they can fund foreseeable future development independently and move forward from there. If they sell better than expected, but not astronomically, then I think that they become a more attractive studio that has now proven that it can scope down and release polished and tight games on a budget and a timeline. I'm not sure that Remedy produces something as streamlined as Control without separating from Microsoft, simply because it seems like Microsoft gave them too much slack. MS didn't force Remedy to incorporate a TV show, that was their vision (as has been for years).

If Control bombs, then I'm not sure anyone chooses to pick them up. MS MAYBE, because they've at least shown that they can PRODUCE high quality games (with the AAA polish at AA budgets that Booty seems to be looking for) now. But far from certain. Hope that doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.