• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knottian

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
The thing is though; this is a Xbox thread specifically! There's another thread thats created for SIE specifically. You're probably out of your lane bro...

I'm confused... I was lamenting the fact that someone was trying to claim Rare wasn't AAA, which they absolutely are. Then lamenting the fact that certain actors want to derail with all this Sony talk. The few other times I've posted have been about this very thing trying to get us back on our Xbox track. I usually dig most of your commentary so I assume this is just a misinterpretation from the jumble of all the unknowns (which to be fair, I guess I fit as someone who only made an account initially to ignore said concern trolls).

Back on topic, I hope all the fellow pirates have logged into SoT this week for the Spartan livery. The new cannons, capstain, and wheel look incredible!

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Nah Microsoft isn't making investments like that. Nadella and Hood run Microsoft like a business. Not a sports rivalry. Investments will get made based on being financially sound deals that bolster Game Pass and the brand. Most likely targeting acquisitions where the sum is greater than the parts when combined with the rest of Microsoft. Buying studios to swipe at a competitor who's also a partner to hurt them in a saturated console business that you have very little room to grow isn't the game Nadella, Hood or Spencer are playing...or should play.

Everyone here needs to let that console wars shit go. It's about the value of the services and software.
They have thus far looked at locking developers they have a good relationship with, and depressed assets. That is where you always ought to start when you are expanding.

However, I think that the next economic crisis that leads to wipe out of shareholder value will see publishers coming off the stock market.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They have thus far looked at locking developers they have a good relationship with, and depressed assets. That is where you always ought to start when you are expanding.

However, I think that the next economic crisis that leads to wipe out of shareholder value will see publishers coming off the stock market.
Well that's something to, uh, look forward to?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Well that's something to, uh, look forward to?
We will have a recession. That is not in question.

All the cheap money, low interest rates will lead to inflation.....or has led to inflation in certain areas like housing and the stock market. A business environment where companies took loans to buy back stock.

Once that inflation hits main street, rates will go up. We have seen so many central banks have rates at historic lows, zero, or even negative in some countries.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I'm confused... I was lamenting the fact that someone was trying to claim Rare wasn't AAA, which they absolutely are. Then lamenting the fact that certain actors want to derail with all this Sony talk. The few other times I've posted have been about this very thing trying to get us back on our Xbox track. I usually dig most of your commentary so I assume this is just a misinterpretation from the jumble of all the unknowns (which to be fair, I guess I fit as someone who only made an account initially to ignore said concern trolls).

Back on topic, I hope all the fellow pirates have logged into SoT this week for the Spartan livery. The new cannons, capstain, and wheel look incredible!

I misunderstood you. My bad bruv. I aplogize.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It feels like ever since mad world gears has been forcing it. The Billie ellish and nin trailers didn't feel organic. The lyrics don't have to show such a literal interpretation of footage on the screen.

Dec 31, 2017
It feels like ever since mad world gears has been forcing it. The Billie ellish and nin trailers didn't feel organic. The lyrics don't have to show such a literal interpretation of footage on the screen.
Nothing will ever come close to the mad world commercial, but I actually did like the NIN trailer to be quite honest. It is a bit too much in your face and I would have liked a longer trailer with more story shown, but I still think they did a good job and that it suits Gears 5 well.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like ever since mad world gears has been forcing it.

I liked the Gears 2 and Gears 4 trailers

But yea Mad World is still the best. Gears 5 campaign cinematic trailers have been medicore so far, besides the 2018 E3 trailer. Hopefully the launch trailer and the proper "Mad World" style commercial they make for Gears 5 is good.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
True, true. Have Microsoft just buy Kojima Production out from under Sony. Imagine the internet's reaction to that!

If we're being completely honest, when Ninja Theory was announced as part of MGS we all relished the stream of tears that accompanied for the following week. It felt like such a large blow to PlayStation at the time due to HellBlade's exclusivity and renown and we're all just wishing for another adrenaline rush like that to happen again.

Double Fine and Obsidian are all well and good, but we all want something that cuts deeper. An acquisition that makes MS look like the unconquerable victor once more.

Yikes. Yeah good luck with this. Maybe GameFAQs is more your thing.

Dec 31, 2017
Double Fine has remastered Grim Fandango for pretty much all platforms but the Xbox One. I wonder if that has any chances of coming over to Game Pass now that they are part of Xbox Game Studios? Also, when they acquired the license, was it a permanent thing or does Disney still own it from the Lucas Arts purchase? Wonder if Double Fine could do a sequel to Grim Fandango for Scarlett/PC or if they'd have to go through Disney to get permission? I think that franchise has tons of potential, especially with the Telltale games and now the Life is Strange games doing pretty good.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Double Fine has remastered Grim Fandango for pretty much all platforms but the Xbox One. I wonder if that has any chances of coming over to Game Pass now that they are part of Xbox Game Studios? Also, when they acquired the license, was it a permanent thing or does Disney still own it from the Lucas Arts purchase? Wonder if Double Fine could do a sequel to Grim Fandango for Scarlett/PC or if they'd have to go through Disney to get permission? I think that franchise has tons of potential, especially with the Telltale games and now the Life is Strange games doing pretty good.

I'm hoping so. Along with Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle (which I've always wanted to play). All had PS4 releases but not Xbox One, I believe.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Did anyone catch this article from Windows Central? https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...-party-games-nintendo-switch-or-playstation-4

Sounds like the whole 1p (exclusive) Xbox games going to Switch is over. I can't really think of games going to PS4 other than games that were already in development for PS4 prior to the studio being purchased. Sounds like MS is getting serious again with maintaining exclusives for their Xbox & PC eco-system.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ins
Did anyone catch this article from Windows Central? https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...-party-games-nintendo-switch-or-playstation-4

Sounds like the whole 1p (exclusive) Xbox games going to Switch is over. I can't really think of games going to PS4 other than games that were already in development for PS4 prior to the studio being purchased. Sounds like MS is getting serious again with maintaining exclusives for their Xbox & PC eco-system.
There seems to be something lost from that statement. I read that as don't expect gears 5 and Halo Infinite on switch because nothing first party is being designed with it in mind, but smaller games that could be ported would.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Ins

There seems to be something lost from that statement. I read that as don't expect gears 5 and Halo Infinite on switch because nothing first party is being designed with it in mind, but smaller games that could be ported would.

Possibly. I just saw it as no more Xbox Exclusives... But I do see your point. However, the bigger franchises have never been ported to any other platform before. That is why I associated it with the likes of Cuphead and Ori.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Building an in house engine and spending 5 years making a game isn't going to end with a modest budget unless salaries are nothing in the Netherlands
Relatively modest compared to comparable games, is all I meant. AAA but not AAAA, we're not talking Ubisoft or Rockstar 800+ sized teams. It was only 3 years of full production, after K:SF shipped, and only a small team doing pre-production before that. And Decima was already used for K:SF before.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Disney's Revenge:
Obsidian: Kotor 3
The Coalition: Captain America
The Initiative: Spiderman

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Back for another round of PC gamepass for 3 months at least, and going through Ori again. I don't think I actually beaten the original lol, so I am tackling the game again with the definitive edition. Man is this game such a beauty.

Microsoft had a mighty fine Inside Xbox at gamescom also. I look forward to checking out the Blair Witch.

I wouldn't be surprise if Will of the Wisps and Battletoads eventually does come to switch, it just that they still haven't been released on X1/PC yet, so course there wouldn't be plans yet.

But yeah, probably wouldn't hope for something like Halo, Gears, or Forza heh.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I wonder what they have in store for us at XO19 this year. If they have new studios to announce, what could those be? Maybe they spill some beans on Scarlett? A surprise game?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
The Global Publishing team isn't composed only of marketing people and marketing people are fundamental and extremely important to games development.
I didn't say that the Global Publishing team is only composed of marketing people, nor marketing isn't important. It's just that if Microsoft had a team of hundred people only devoted to marketing (but I could have said anything else non directly related to the developpment), we wouldn't count them as a first party studio.

The announcement of MGP (and probably also Age of Empire team) as a new first party studio during last E3 was just a PR bullshit. They only had one new studio (Double Fine) and they knew people would be disappointed with only that, so they found a way to say that they have three new studios, even if it isn't true.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019

I don't believe this is true and MS needs a new PR team. Their messaging this gen has been nothing short of disastrous.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say that the Global Publishing team is only composed of marketing people, nor marketing isn't important. It's just that if Microsoft had a team of hundred people only devoted to marketing (but I could have said anything else non directly related to the developpment), we wouldn't count them as a first party studio.

The announcement of MGP (and probably also Age of Empire team) as a new first party studio during last E3 was just a PR bullshit. They only had one new studio (Double Fine) and they knew people would be disappointed with only that, so they found a way to say that they have three new studios, even if it isn't true.

Can you please stop talking about things you don't fully understand? Thanks.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Uh, no.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
True, true. Have Microsoft just buy Kojima Production out from under Sony. Imagine the internet's reaction to that!

If we're being completely honest, when Ninja Theory was announced as part of MGS we all relished the stream of tears that accompanied for the following week. It felt like such a large blow to PlayStation at the time due to HellBlade's exclusivity and renown and we're all just wishing for another adrenaline rush like that to happen again.

Double Fine and Obsidian are all well and good, but we all want something that cuts deeper. An acquisition that makes MS look like the unconquerable victor once more.
Are you 12? Wtf this console war bullshit embarassing

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't believe this is true and MS needs a new PR team. Their messaging this gen has been nothing short of disastrous.
How so? Generally, I actually think their marketing has been fine. Obviously the first few years were actually disastrous. But they've done a fine job with what they've had. Not everyone will like the presentation one way or the other, but I'm excited about the direction of the company and the future of the brand. That's all that PR need accomplish. (Now, certainly there are many areas they can improve in.) But let's be clear - this isn't something that they NEED TO PR in the first place. It just is what it is. MS can bring games to the Switch if it wants to. End of story.

"MS are you gonna bring more games to Switch?!" "Sure, if we want to." "OMG!!! THEY'RE 3RD PARTY NOW"

Saying nothing not only makes sense, but is the better strategy. Even what they said is just reiterating the status quo - we won't bring games to other platforms... unless we want to. So don't expect it, but hey maybe there are some more surprises coming. Likewise, don't expect Nintendo to bring anything to Xbox. But I'll be among those cheering if it happens.

LOL. I don't know if you know, but you guys aren't real devs. Hate to break it to you like this.. but.. the evidence is clear. XD

Appreciate you popping in anyway though ;)

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Btw, looking at all the current locations of Xbox Game Studios. Imo they're just missing Asia/Japan and maybe another European studio, but it's looking quite well.
It seems XGS is mostly US/UK/Canada focused. I guess it helps with the internal communication, but at the same time expanding to non-English speaking countries could provide more variety.

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018

I feel you don't even know what Double Fine is.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Looking at the Death Stranding gameplay video, this would be a huge waste of time and money. It would be one of my last coices if I were MS.

Agreed. If they were to go for a Japanese company helmed by a strong auteur, I'd much rather see them woo Fumito Ueda's genDESIGN.

Well, I'd also be happy to see them back Kaz Ayabe's Millennium Kitchen, if only to finally bring more of their games over to the West, but MS would never bother with that.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
So why announce it this year? What changes for Microsoft Global Publishing and Age of Empire team?

Sorry if I'm wrong, I really don't want to be disrespectful, but I still don't understand why two teams, that seem to exist since years, are suddenly announced as two "new first party studios."

I feel you don't even know what Double Fine is.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this comment. What is Double Fine isn't really important. Last year, Microsoft announced five new first party studios at E3 and two new first party studios at X0. I think people would have been disappointed if Microsoft only announced one new studio this year, the name of the studio doesn't really matter.

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
Bandai Namco is the publisher, so maybe eventually but although it's DF it's not MS published.
Yes, I was hoping for a GP announcement at Gamescom, but it's not Bandai Namco plans for now. Well, I guess Kingdom Come was a big surprise anyway. Too many games to play now, let's see if it'll be on Game Pass before I buy it. Next year.

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
Gears 5 not having Ray-Tracing is quite disappointing, Gears is supposed to be a technical showcase with cutting edge lighting and think this is a missed opportunity.
I believe The Coalition it's really focused on great performance on all platforms, and maybe includes ray tracing in middle of development could be a not worthy distraction. Since next console has ray tracing capabilities, we can expect support for this tecnology on 1st p studios for next year (2nd half) games.

Aug 26, 2018
I believe The Coalition it's really focused on great performance on all platforms, and maybe includes ray tracing in middle of development could be a not worthy distraction. Since next console has ray tracing capabilities, we can expect support for this tecnology on 1st p studios for next year (2nd half) games.

Hmm, maybe you are right. We might get an RTX patch for Gears 5 once Scarlett is out.

Hope they also have a 4K 30 Quality mode along with the Dynamic 4K 60 Performance Mode.

Knottian

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
I misunderstood you. My bad bruv. I aplogize.

No apologies necessary my friend.

On a side note, does anyone know what's happening with the 5 TB Gears Seagate drive? I can't seem to find it any where online, despite readily available 2 TB models. I also know that it's considerably more expensive than a standard drive, but Gears is one of my favorite franchises and I'm a bit of a collector.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
So why announce it this year? What changes for Microsoft Global Publishing and Age of Empire team?
Publishing already existed but is now headed up by Peter and has a new name - that wasn't announced as a new studio AFAIK, but was part of the overall change in gaming at Microsoft.

Age however is now a studio. What that means specifically is just like 343, Minecraft, Coalition, Rare, and others, there is now an independent team that is responsible for creating and supporting Age specifically and running that business. Make sense?

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Publishing already existed but is now headed up by Peter and has a new name - that wasn't announced as a new studio AFAIK, but was part of the overall change in gaming at Microsoft.

Age however is now a studio. What that means specifically is just like 343, Minecraft, Coalition, Rare, and others, there is now an independent team that is responsible for creating and supporting Age specifically and running that business. Make sense?

But with the Age studio have in-house development?

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just misunderstood your post, I thought you were saying they should stop putting resources in to Halo and Gears and Forza and focus on new IP, but also should start relying on Rares backlog of IP. I didn't get that you were saying they should be doing both.

Ok no worries. I guess I should say - I dont think Gears/Halo/Forza should stop - and anyone who tries to deny me new Gears of War games is gonna need to fight me, its just that in the past and atm (albeit I can see its reducing already) they rely on those franchises to carry the line-up, Halo has had a big gap between mainline instalments, Gears is very 3 years and Forza has finally taken a year off.

I think they need big new AAA IPs to hold down the fort and to get sequels and carry the line up whilst those franchises get the chance to look at themselves and take more time if needed and that also Rare's back catalogue is a huge missed opportunity, you don't want to just throw them at any developer who sends you a pitch but MS and/or Rare should be actively looking to push those IPs and get someone doing things with them if Rare don't want to do it themselves.

Theres so many possibilities, if they dont want brand new games for whatever reason then those Crash and Spyro remakes would be a good place to look for a start...

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018

Sorry if I'm wrong, I really don't want to be disrespectful, but I still don't understand why two teams, that seem to exist since years, are suddenly announced as two "new first party studios."

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this comment. What is Double Fine isn't really important. Last year, Microsoft announced five new first party studios at E3 and two new first party studios at X0. I think people would have been disappointed if Microsoft only announced one new studio this year, the name of the studio doesn't really matter.

Nobody can be disappointed thinking about what Obsidian or Double Fine can make with Microsoft's budget. Nobody. And this is what everything is about. Not about what Double Fine has been making, but about what can make from now on.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

There was no big announcement for the AoE or MGP teams - the stage reveal was mostly for Double Fine.

It's an internal team they are setting up - why not announce it?

Status
Not open for further replies.