• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
If Colin was right and Microsoft tried porting MCC...that sounds pretty fucking smart actually. How many Xbox's are they selling over MCC today? Make that revenue. Keep investing.
THANK YOU!

Microsoft has been consistently looking into how to improve the Xbox brand for years. Who knows what kind of stuff they were cooking up or looking into in order to do just that. Colin didn't say anything other than he was told by trusted sources that it was something that was at once in talks, nothing more than that. Not sure why some people act like that's something to get up in arms about.

Wasn't the Moriarty claim proven false?
Not that I've seen! I feel like a couple of users that were a tad bit aggressive about me mentioning it would've already shared that proof it that were the case.
I would love to be corrected though if it is untrue, I just don't get why some people get so upset over someones name.^.^

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
THANK YOU!

Microsoft has been consistently looking into how to improve the Xbox brand for years. Who knows what kind of stuff they were cooking up or looking into in order to do just that. Colin didn't say anything other than he was told by trusted sources that it was something that was at once in talks, nothing more than that. Not sure why some people act like that's something to get up in arms about.

Not that I've seen! I feel like a couple of users that were a tad bit aggressive about me mentioning it would've already shared that proof it that were the case.
I would love to be corrected though if it is untrue, I just don't get why some people get so upset over someones name.^.^

Frankie dismissed that rumour on here as absolute nonsense with no truth to it whatsoever.

Anyway, I know this is a bit old news but it's a really good profile of The Initiative with a great rundown of all the hires they have made do far.

I'm a Halo fanboy, love me some Forza and can't wait to see what PG2 have been working on but my hype is through the roof as to what The Initiative have cooking, it really is the Harlem Globe Trotters of game studios.

Edit, would help if i actually included the source material lol

Last edited:

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Matt was pretty clear, if it pushes Game Pass, Xbox Live or sales/users of Xbox then its exclusive. If it's a game like Minecraft then it goes multi, basically if the game is a platform itself. Minecraft is a bigger platform than Xbox or Playstation, a potential Outer Worlds 2 isn't and would push Game Pass and sales/users of Xbox since it's a single player RPG. So it basically comes down to games that exist on the platform are exclusive, games that are a platform on their own aren't. Which should leave the overwhelming majority of their games/studios still exclusive, obviously Matt should have been more clear to avoid the sort of clickbait you're seeing. But Spencer was already clear that the studios would be exclusive at E3, he also made it clear that Xcloud is focused on mobile instead of other platforms like Switch or Playstation.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
THANK YOU!

Did anybody actually listen to the MattBooty interview with gane informer. He literally stated that most 1st party games would never make sense not to be exclusive. Whereas something like minecraft that was already 3rd party made sense to stay 3rd party.

IGN is borderline a joke with that article click bait, and Collin I remeber his last big prediction was God of War would flop because of low pre-orders and them not sticking to the old gameplay formula lol.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't know if its the same interview that tweet is referring to, but I remember seeing a while ago one with either Phil or Booty where they talked about how certain games make sense on other platforms and others didn't. Basically that they want to reach as many people as they can, but Xbox will still always have those premium, exclusive franchises, so it's a balance. Minecraft Dungeons, Ori, maybe Bleeding Edge, these are games that can reach a lot of people and might make sense on other platforms, but you'll never see Halo or Gears on Playstation.

If that wasn't the interview they're sourcing, I'll try to find it again but I make no promises. If that was, then that's a super misleading tweet.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I don't know if its the same interview that tweet is referring to, but I remember seeing a while ago one with either Phil or Booty where they talked about how certain games make sense on other platforms and others didn't. Basically that they want to reach as many people as they can, but Xbox will still always have those premium, exclusive franchises, so it's a balance. Minecraft Dungeons, Ori, maybe Bleeding Edge, these are games that can reach a lot of people and might make sense on other platforms, but you'll never see Halo or Gears on Playstation.

If that wasn't the interview they're sourcing, I'll try to find it again but I make no promises. If that was, then that's a super misleading tweet.
Even with bleeding edge, Ninja Theory made a video when coming to Microsoft stating that all there games moving forward would be exclusive. The facts just aren't there for this click bait stuff. Now stuff like cuphead or ori that are 2nd party possibly switch as Nintendo has been open with cuphead or as we've said minecraft sure.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I thought Matt was pretty clear, if it pushes Game Pass, Xbox Live or sales/users of Xbox then its exclusive. If it's a game like Minecraft then it goes multi, basically if the game is a platform itself. Minecraft is a bigger platform than Xbox or Playstation, a potential Outer Worlds 2 isn't and would push Game Pass and sales/users of Xbox since it's a single player RPG. So it basically comes down to games that exist on the platform are exclusive, games that are a platform on their own aren't. Which should leave the overwhelming majority of their games/studios still exclusive, obviously Matt should have been more clear to avoid the sort of clickbait you're seeing. But Spencer was already clear that the studios would be exclusive at E3, he also made it clear that Xcloud is focused on mobile instead of other platforms like Switch or Playstation.

If anything, I think Spencer was too vague in that Kotaku interview. He just should have said "no" to Gears on Playstation. Booty was more clear in the recent interview, but that "yes we would" allow-phrase left enough room for speculation that IGN quickly jumped into even if the same interview stated that core franchises will be Xbox exclusives.

Here's the section with Phil:

Totilo: So if you had your way, would you be selling Gears on the PS4 this September?

Spencer:
I think the experience we bring to the family room with Xbox and focusing on things like compatibility and focusing on things like cross-play is actually important to where we see gaming growing, which is why we are focused on consoles and spending a ton of money and resources investing in Scarlett. The same thing on PC.

So, today, people are saying: "Are you going third party?" Whatever that means. But the idea that we are a platform company continues to be true, and we think about how that platform infrastructure could grow. And we think having the world's most powerful console, having a great Xbox in the home, is a critical component to that.

He did say later the "vast majority" would be on Xbox, PC and xCloud but I feel the messaging should be more clear. I really think anything outside Minecraft and from first party should be clearly called for what it is by Spencer and Booty: first party exclusive content.

EDIT: One of Germany's biggest gaming websites, GamePro, has published an article quite similair to the IGN one. It's heading is: 'Xbox Studios may develop for PS4 & Switch - AAA remains exclusive'. It's spreading and that's not good...

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
They wouldn't buy all these companies to put all their stuff on all other platforms unless it was via an MS service, e.g. XCloud.

The register is this: they see co operation and sharing as good, and strong competition as beneficial for the market. They also want your cash, as unfiltered as possible, going in to their pockets. Minecraft makes sense one way, Halo another.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
If anything, I think Spencer was too vague in that Kotaku interview. He just should have said "no" to Gears on Playstation. Booty was more clear in the recent interview, but that "yes we would" allow-phrase left enough room for speculation that IGN quickly jumped into even if the same interview stated that core franchises will be Xbox exclusives.

He did say later the "vast majority" would be on Xbox, PC and xCloud but I feel the messaging should be more clear. I really think anything outside Minecraft and from first party should be clearly called for what it is by Spencer and Booty: first party exclusive content.

EDIT: One of Germany's biggest gaming websites, GamePro, has published an article quite similair to the IGN one. It's heading is: 'Xbox Studios may develop for PS4 & Switch - AAA remains exclusive'. It's spreading and that's not good...

it's more like media outlets are reaching because august is a slow month for real news. Booty was very clear about what's their criteria for allowing multiplatform games or not, and he even say that a theorical The Outer worlds 2 should be exclusive.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'll stick with my wait and see approach. As of right now, I feel there are few reasons to believe that XGS' games outside of the Minecraft brand are coming to other platforms. If an XGS sanctioned game gets developed and published for Switch and/or PS4, I'll change my tune.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

They can't control sub par journalism and click bait titles lol

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think its very easy to see wich games can come to other platforms. Doubt we see any games coming to PS. But i expect Gears POP for example to release on Switch also at some point.
I can see Ori 1 come to switch and maybe later Ori 2 in a while also and Battletoads. Dont expect Gears, Halo etc to come.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Thank you for providing a source!

What did exaggerate? That's exactly what he said.
I still don't get why people would get upset at ME for mentioning what someone in the industry said.

Your words

Then again, I also would never expect Microsoft to release Halo onto PlayStation, but Colin Moriarty made it pretty clear that there was some work actually being done towards that with Halo: MCC at one point

There wasn't any work actually being done towards that, CM never said there was any work actually being done towards that.
You made that up.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
One thing that makes me wonder, most people typically say that we're 2-3 years away from Microsoft's acquisition spree giving results. But the way I see it, being a PC gamer that has no interest in Xbox 1, or PS4, or Scarlett, or PS5, the gamepass subscription is going to give me Gears 5, Ori 2, Psychonauts 2, Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3 and the Age of Empires 2 remaster within the next 12 months, with Psychonauts and Wasteland most likely greatly benefiting from having MS's resources behind them (as opposed to being independently released). I think that's a pretty sweet line-up for what it is, and I'm not at all bothered that 3 of tehm are also releasing on Playstation, why would I be?

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
Focus Home I think would also be a really great one, they're seeming like they're going to ramp up their output here soon.
I've played Sherlock Holmes and The Devil's Daughter on Game Pass. Focus already have some info on how games perform under the service.

This 150-200 number of games on Game Pass is crucial. If you put too many games, then there's less exposure for each, so the benefits for the devs begin to reduce.

My point is: maybe (sure?) there are many games already planned to arrive in the next months, from many publishers. Deals probably were signed already. They just plan the releases to mantain a good variety of the library every month.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Vampyr, Farming Simulator, Surge also. I think we see Plague Tale soon also

RE: Plague Tale, I really hope so. Were I in better financial shape I'd have bought it already, because I really want to play it. Right now though, I'm super poor, but subbed up to GP until the year's end thanks to the £1 Ultimate deal.

Oct 26, 2018

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Initiative, a first-party Xbox game studio, has recruited former Respawn, BioWare and Naughty Dog developers to its rapidly growing team (via Video Games Chronicle).

Senior Apex Legends designer Sean Slayback and BioWare lead animator Ryan Duffin have been hired, according to LinkedIn updates. Joining them are artists Ryan Trowbridge and Justin Walters, who worked on Uncharted 4 and 2016's Doom respectively.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I didn't realize that the "Phil Spencer is exactly who you think he is" article on Gamespot was just one part of a series of articles.

Not sure if theses were posted yet:

There's a lot of content there. Possibly threadworthy stuff, though I'm too busy with work at the moment.

I thought this was interesting, given how it's taken as a certainty that Lockhart is dead:

"Last year we talked about xCloud and then we said we were working on new game consoles, but that's all I said." Spencer clarified, "We didn't say that [a streaming console was in the works]. I think maybe some people thought that that was the disc-less one that we just shipped. We are not working on a streaming-only console right now."

Why even reraise the multiple consoles point from 2018? And then make a point of saying "btw there is no streaming console"?

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Your words

There wasn't any work actually being done towards that, CM never said there was any work actually being done towards that.
You made that up.
What words? All I said was I'd assume he'd have prettygood connection a in the industry since he's actually part of it (from which many of isn't aren't).

I personally don't think I exaggerated, but if I did then I apologize, but I don't see it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
One thing that makes me wonder, most people typically say that we're 2-3 years away from Microsoft's acquisition spree giving results. But the way I see it, being a PC gamer that has no interest in Xbox 1, or PS4, or Scarlett, or PS5, the gamepass subscription is going to give me Gears 5, Ori 2, Psychonauts 2, Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3 and the Age of Empires 2 remaster within the next 12 months, with Psychonauts and Wasteland most likely greatly benefiting from having MS's resources behind them (as opposed to being independently released). I think that's a pretty sweet line-up for what it is, and I'm not at all bothered that 3 of tehm are also releasing on Playstation, why would I be?

Yeah the "no results" for years thing is people speaking specifically to console and list wars. To gamers who don't give a shit, every Microsoft purchase means more games to Game Pass and better funding of existing projects. Getting to play all those games over a service that's already paid for with no additional cost is a great benefit.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Did anybody actually listen to the MattBooty interview with gane informer. He literally stated that most 1st party games would never make sense not to be exclusive. Whereas something like minecraft that was already 3rd party made sense to stay 3rd party.
For clarification, my comment didn't pertain to anything that related to the current Xbox team. This was based off of supposed "rumors" (which have since now proven to be false) about MCC coming to PlayStation. Again, now that I've seen evidence, I agree Colin's statement was false. I don't know where the hell he heard that from.

IGN is borderline a joke with that article click bait, and Collin I remeber his last big prediction was God of War would flop because of low pre-orders and them not sticking to the old gameplay formula lol.
I agree IGN is a borderline joke, but I don't think using a prediction about God of War is a good comparison for that. Sony Santa Monica seemed to be in a lot of trouble. Their previous project (before GOW4), which they had spent years on, got completely scrapped and supposedly was terrible. Their game before that (other than games they helped publish) was God of War: Ascension iirc and that game didn't instill much faith either. Now, if you want to make fun of IGN, I'd say the whole Filip plagiarism fiasco, the Pokemon Alpha Sapphire "Too Much Water" review, or even the reviewers complaint of Gears of War Ultimate Edition using the "A" button too much.

In all honesty, IGN is a shell of its former self. The only people that I really care for over there at this point are Ryan McCaffrey (who comes off as a real genuine dude), Damon Hattfield, and Miranda Sanchez. The rest are either fine or have shown a time or two their ugly side, or have made a comment that has completely made me question what they are doing in the given scenario in the first place (like those reviews).

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Surely it depends on the scope of what The Initiative are doing. If its a MP title then it could easily go into Xbox Game Preview and we could be playing it in early 2021, if its something else, could be longer. If they want to get people excited, maybe we will hear about it late next year. Announce late 2020 -> Spring 2022 launch, 18 months or so isnt bad

Aug 23, 2018
I would be shocked if the Initiative's title didn't have both a single player and MP component. Something like Uncharted I would guess. The people they are hiring are all coming from SP devs mostly.

I'm guessing the reveal will happen sometime by E32021. If they're already staffing up for production a very small teaser next year is possible as well.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Surely it depends on the scope of what The Initiative are doing. If its a MP title then it could easily go into Xbox Game Preview and we could be playing it in early 2021, if its something else, could be longer. If they want to get people excited, maybe we will hear about it late next year. Announce late 2020 -> Spring 2022 launch, 18 months or so isnt bad

Not one part of this seems likely or realistic.

A MP beta in the lead up to release would make sense, but it'll be very controlled and on short cycles.

There's not a chance a world class team like The Initiative will have their game on Game Preview. I wouldn't expect any first parry studio to do that. Some of them joined Microsoft to avoid having to resort to doing that. I imagine it's a "never again" kinda thing for Compulsion.

Initiative will have all the pomp and fair of a huge AAA title and then some in the lead up to their first game.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
For clarification, my comment didn't pertain to anything that related to the current Xbox team. This was based off of supposed "rumors" (which have since now proven to be false) about MCC coming to PlayStation. Again, now that I've seen evidence, I agree Colin's statement was false. I don't know where the hell he heard that from.

I agree IGN is a borderline joke, but I don't think using a prediction about God of War is a good comparison for that. Sony Santa Monica seemed to be in a lot of trouble. Their previous project (before GOW4), which they had spent years on, got completely scrapped and supposedly was terrible. Their game before that (other than games they helped publish) was God of War: Ascension iirc and that game didn't instill much faith either. Now, if you want to make fun of IGN, I'd say the whole Filip plagiarism fiasco, the Pokemon Alpha Sapphire "Too Much Water" review, or even the reviewers complaint of Gears of War Ultimate Edition using the "A" button too much.

In all honesty, IGN is a shell of its former self. The only people that I really care for over there at this point are Ryan McCaffrey (who comes off as a real genuine dude), Damon Hattfield, and Miranda Sanchez. The rest are either fine or have shown a time or two their ugly side, or have made a comment that has completely made me question what they are doing in the given scenario in the first place (like those reviews).
No worries man I wasn't meaning to come down on you if it sounded like it. I appreciate your reasonable response.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Think their first game will be also a SP linear experience. The team isnt that big yet. You grow over time.
Dont think they will go big like a open world or MP. Wich can easy create problems. Think they will go "safe" the first time.
Like Control i think. Not in terms of the gameplay but more the scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.