• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2018
not sure if this has showed up in any recent Gears 5 footage, but a new action figure comes with a new weapon (my guess is something functionally similar to the Gorgon pistol).
Gears-5-Kair-Diaz-Storm-007.jpg

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah, that was why I mentioned Double Fine. Very happy they're on the team now. Their games might not be for everybody, but they always have a lot of heart and you can feel the creators behind them in every single production. They have... Identity, which is some of what I value most in art.

I was never that big a fan of Press Play, but still sad to see them go. Kalimba was supposedly very good, so maybe I should try that sometime.

Before I started playing it I didn't think I would like it, but I ended up really enjoying Kalimba. And Max: The curse of Brotherhood was great! I wasn't sure what to think of their next game, and we'll never know either.

But definitely do give Kalimba a try, definitely!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, that was why I mentioned Double Fine. Very happy they're on the team now. Their games might not be for everybody, but they always have a lot of heart and you can feel the creators behind them in every single production. They have... Identity, which is some of what I value most in art.

I was never that big a fan of Press Play, but still sad to see them go. Kalimba was supposedly very good, so maybe I should try that sometime.

I loved Kalimba. Really under-talked about little game.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Here my hot take get ready
i wish ms (or sony) buys bioware from ea with da and me ips and brink it back to the glorious past

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
People are cherry-picking posts that they don't like. There are people in here trying to have an actual discussion about XGS, Gears 5, Scarlett etc. Not all of that is positive, but it's relevant discussion nonetheless. I'm one of the biggest trolls in this thread (next to Regis) but even I can see that 10% are posts unrelated to Xbox, 80% are people reacting to those posts, and 10% are people trying to have a relevant discussion.
tonky-meme-final.jpg

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I believe that the one thing that people do not get when it comes to Microsoft and the strategy they are employing is that they are doing everything to not be like Sony. There are areas where they will be an overlap because they are in the same market, but Microsoft is on a strategy where what they want is to have a diverse portfolio which is the only thing that will drive Game Pass.

They already have a studio that makes the best simulation racer, another that makes the best arcade style racer. They are damn good when it comes to shooting games and they had one of the best fighting games this gen. Apart from that, they have added RPG studios, they have added a studio that makes good action adventure titles, they are building two teams to undertake a new games that are most likely going to be third person adventure titles, and they are going back to their roots with a new flight simulator and Real Time Strategy. To add to these, you still have survival horror and the games that Double Fine makes.

There have been holes in Microsoft's lineup, but what platform holder does not have gaps in their lineup/portfolio?

Microsoft is doing a far greater job trying to lineup as diverse an experience as they can craft, and most on here agree with that. And most who frequent this thread or previous versions of it have voiced concerns as to where it was the lineup was lacking, the need for more first party studios, and there is a confidence that they are on the right path. That does not in any way, shape or form concern people to go spam a Sony first party thread and concern trolling as to how they need more multiplayer content, better racing or shooting games. Or how they need to diversify to a point where not all their huge games are in one genre.

If you are looking at the sheer number of development teams, this is bigger than what anyone else has, especially when you consider that some developers have multiple projects. At some moment in time, Microsoft will stop purchasing studios, but more importantly, at some moment in time, these studios that they have bought will start churning out games. It makes for a better debate to maybe try and see where they are going than fixating on where they were before they started bolstering their first party lineup.
Every platform holder has hes in their lineup. The issue is when the hole in your lineup is in a genre that is probably the most popular in the world. Sony doesn't care that it doesn't have a first party tactical RPG. MS should care it doesn't have cinematic third person action adventure that's good.

Apr 6, 2018
Days Gone sold very well didn't it? Despite the so-so scores.
each zombie based game scores in the 60-70s (TLOU and RE have zombies, but that's not the point of those games) and sold extremely well
If Undead Labs really creates the big "shared-world" State of Decay game I expect them to, I can see them being one of the big winners next-gen in the XGS portfolio. Maybe not in terms of a Metacritic number, but the potential of that kind of game in the PC (especially Steam) and Xbox eco-system with Game Pass as an easy entry point is incredibly huge in my book, especially in an age where social media, YouTube, Mixer and Twitch drive the success of a game more than ever.

I know Undead Labs has a lot to improve, but with the added resources and especially the recent and significant boost in staff count I'm very confident that they will be a more successful studio for XGS than some might think.
Undead Labs managed a pretty unique thing this generation: procedural narrative, with total immersion, freedom and world reactivity, yet it's compared to regular games when it's such a strange game
\\

Remedy is def a megaton meltdown. Not only Remedy has been attached to MS for over a decade, fans have been begging MS for a AW2 for years.
Sony having the chance to make a new AW is indeed a megaton meltdown.
Here people will have meltdowns, the average xbox player wouldn't care as he didn't care before
I literally had to check the title to make sure I wasn't in the Sony thread. Fucking unreal...
Use the ignore button
Yeah that's super disappointing then. I'm not an escape hater, ign's interview made me a fan of it despite me not liking it at first, I love forge and it's essentially that so I can't complain but a large scale multiplayer gears with vehicles and such is soooooo slept on. Hordes are cool, that's fine, innovate and evolve it as much as you want but let's not act like the MP isn't the bread and butter of gears, arcade gives me some hope. Them always referring to it has me worried though, I'd really be disappointed if the new MP modes we get are like how 4 was with dodgeball and some others, yeah there fun but there just game modes, nothing more.
IDK how I will create a large battlefield with a gameplay designed on short and difensive options.
Arcade AFAIK looks like it's a casual friendly brand modes in versus

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
Every platform holder has hes in their lineup. The issue is when the hole in your lineup is in a genre that is probably the most popular in the world. Sony doesn't care that it doesn't have a first party tactical RPG. MS should care it doesn't have cinematic third person action adventure that's good.
Cinematic action adventures aren't the most popular genre in the world, far from it.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what studios MS is gunning for next? we know they have their sights set on a couple of Japanese developers, there's definitely more in the pipeline planned for XO19 and E3 2020.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I wonder what studios MS is gunning for next? we know they have their sights set on a couple of Japanese developers, there's definitely more in the pipeline planned for XO19 and E3 2020.
I feel like a sports title with GaaS elements could be valuable to the Games Pass library. Like a football or basketball game with an interesting twist. I think they'd need a new studio to do that. Who owns the developers of Rocket League?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like a sports title with GaaS elements could be valuable to the Games Pass library. Like a football or basketball game with an interesting twist. I think they'd need a new studio to do that. Who owns the developers of Rocket League?
They should bring all the Kinect Sports stuff back minus the Kinect of course.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This...I have been saying this for a while now. Sports titles would do great on GP... add lawn/table tennis, wave racing, surfing, archery, street basketball, boxing, track, and a couple of smaller sports and put them all under the XGS Sports brand.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Speaking of X019 do you guys think the show will more than a big Inside Xbox like an actual showcase. I really miss the gamescom briefings they use to have, it wasn't as big as E3 but it still showed more of the games from E3 and 2015 had a surprise reveal for Halo wars 2.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of X019 do you guys think the show will more than a big Inside Xbox like an actual showcase. I really miss the gamescom briefings they use to have, it wasn't as big as E3 but it still showed more of the games from E3 and 2015 had a surprise reveal for Halo wars 2.
I really have no idea what they plan to do this year, but if they listened to criticisms from last years show then they might go bigger this time around and will be saving some major announcements for the event.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
From Japan, I'd love to see White Owls and Grounding Inc. I know these two have been working together to co-develop The Good Life. I think Swery's small projects could do well on Game Pass. I doubt an acquisition would happen, but I'd like to see MS try to publish another Platinum game. Though, my choice of studios would be 4A, Remedy and Asobo.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Many here do not care to spam Sony threads with what they do not have as a first party, and I tend to play a lot on it (PS5). It is a sign of respect, and maturity.

This is the Microsoft first party thread, and to most of us, Microsoft has gone a long ways to try and make sure that the experiences they have been missing are catered towards going forward. For this reason, I have stated that there will be a lot of derailing in this thread before those studios start pushing out games because that is the only thing that concern trolls have to fall back on.

That they do not have third person experiences that are critically acclaimed has been discussed ad nauseum, by the very same people you seem to think you are educating. It is not a great debate topic unless you are looking at it from a point of what might be achieved by Obsidian, playground's second studio, The Initiative, Ninja Theory, Compulsion and maybe Rare in combination with Microsoft Global Publishing partnerships.

Those are the debates that move the needle in this topic, things like what IP people would love to see come back....because these are the people that play games on this, sometimes as their main platform.
I really have no idea what they plan to do this year, but if they listened to criticisms from last years show then they might go bigger this time around and will be saving some major announcements for the event.
It is hard to imagine what they could do with the show this year that could be bigger. The main things that they could show might well be more gameplay footage of titles like Bleeding Edge, Ori, Battletoads....stuff that they showed a video on but did not have a gameplay demo on.

The headline event for last year was the acquisition of Obsidian and InXile. If they are going to announce anything, I would think that that would be it as they wait for E3 to show games coming into the next generation.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
If I had to guess, I would say FromSoft and Platinum are at the absolutely top of the list. Microsoft knows they need a Japanese developer, but I don't think they trust themselves to build one from the ground up. Getting a Japanese studio that's commercially viable in the West should be priority number one. Platinum also certainly seems to fit the mold of the other acquired studios (financial uncertainty, high output, multiple projects, veteran leadership).

I'm not sure if either of those studios is realistic, but I would be surprised if Microsoft wasn't calling them every day.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This...I have been saying this for a while now. Sports titles would do great on GP... add lawn/table tennis, wave racing, surfing, archery, street basketball, boxing, track, and a couple of smaller sports and put them all under the XGS Sports brand.
There was way too much competition when they had that brand running, and that was why they chose to close down that operation. I really do not know that they would even be interested in attempting to make those titles.
If I had to guess, I would say FromSoft and Platinum are at the absolutely top of the list. Microsoft knows they need a Japanese developer, but I don't think they trust themselves to build one from the ground up. Getting a Japanese studio that's commercially viable in the West should be priority number one. Platinum also certainly seems to fit the mold of the other acquired studios (financial uncertainty, high output, multiple projects, veteran leadership).

I'm not sure if either of those studios is realistic, but I would be surprised if Microsoft wasn't calling them every day.
Go big or go home. That is what I hope they accomplish with the next few studios that they look to bring in. I still hope that they also get into contact with Sakaguchi regardless of whether those deals are possible or not.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Epic recently bought Psyonix, the makers of Rocket League.

I agree that some kind of sports game would be a great addition to the XGS lineup. There were rumors that Microsoft was trying to revive NBA Jam last year. The announcer from the original game said he was working with Microsoft on bringing it back (Boom Shacka Lacka!). An XGS NBA Jam game would be great for Scarlett and to get casual gamers to try xCloud.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Remember when people were saying MS was going to unveil 3 new XGS IPs at E3?
What were the three? I know Bleeding Edge is one.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
User Banned (5 days): Antagonistic behavior over a series of posts; history of similar infractions
Cinematic action adventures aren't the most popular genre in the world, far from it.

Single player? Not multi? Keep telling yourself that while Uncharted, got of war, Spiderman, HZD continue to be on top 10 lists and nothing from MS is.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Think Phil was hinting at something when he wrote that tweet about a Asian studio, or just acknowledging that a Asian studio definitely would be nice to have in XGS? And what studio could be a good fit I wonder, which one is small enough that fits their plans, I guess?

Maybe something for XO19 and maybe it's something that is gonna take a while. I do hope it comes to fruition though.

I think more than anything he was just commenting on what a lot of the audience players are thinking. And musing on that little period in the 360s time where there was a big push for first party Asian, especially Japanese stuff. Phil was still mostly in the UK at that time, but I'm sure he had thoughts of that. I'd imagine if Phil had taken over Xbox in the middle of the 360, the landscape would look a bit different.

I would be pretty surprised by any Japanese announcements this year, but I think it'll happen. I'm also replaying Lost Odyssey right now so I've got sequels on my mind.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Those are the debates that move the needle in this topic, things like what IP people would love to see come back....because these are the people that play games on this, sometimes as their main platform.

You are not the arbiter of what is a good debate in a first party topic. Games people work like from first party including new studios to make them are totally fair game. As an Xbox fan, take your gate keeping bullshit somewhere else.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Was it new IP or new XGS games? If the latter, I think they were Minecraft Dungeons, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Bleeding Edge.
Probably Bleeding Edge, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and maybe Pyschonauts 2?

Minecraft Dungeons was previously announced already. Psychonauts 2, (while previously announced) MS just purchased the publishing rights to the game, making it a new addition to their lineup.

This is assuming Blair Witch (third party, maybe timed exclusive?) and Wasteland 1 (previously mentioned) don't count.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

What's the most popular genre in the world again?

AOE2 HD sold more than 5 million copies on Steam, afaik, the numbers there are above 10 million owners. The series has one million MAU. Minecraft is doing gangbusters. Flight Sim on it's prime sold millions, Forza Horizon 4 sold millions. Halo still sells millions.

To say that cinematic third person action adventure is the most popular genre in the world is an extremely console centric and alienated POV.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Most popular genre in the world? Buwahahaha. You mean multiplayer shooter right?Just want to let you know that you may be living in a bubble and not realize it.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Third person cinematic action adventure games are not the most popular genre in the world.

Multiplayer shooters are the most popular genre in the world.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most popular genre in the world? Buwahahaha. You mean multiplayer shooter right?Just want to let you know that you may be living in a bubble and not realize it.

First of all, I'm discussing single player games, second, why do you keep burying you head in the sand for games the xbox is missing in many areas and many games skip the platform entirely. Should we continue to discuss how great Forza is? Yes it is, woot!

To deny Xbox doesnt have any holes in its lineup is like denying xbox sells as many consoles as its competitor....It doesnt no matter how much you try to backflip around MAU. The fact of the matter is the market is changing and Xbox is skating to where the puck is by trying to pivot to services. But it hasnt yet, and until it does Xbox has work to do in its lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I'm discussing single player games, second, why do you keep burying you head in the sand for games the xbox is missing in many areas and many games skip the platform entirely. Should we continue to discuss how great Forza is? Yes it is, woot!

To deny Xbox doesnt have any holes in its lineup is like denying xbox sells as many consoles as its competitor....It doesnt no matter how much you try to backflip around MAU. The fact of the matter is the market is changing and Xbox is skating to where the puck is by trying to pivot to services. But it hasnt yet, and until it does Xbox has work to do in its lineup.

It doesn't matter what you are discussing, what you said was wrong. Don't try to move goalposts now. Skyrim sold more copies than most of these single player third person action adventure games. There are other examples.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Oh my good lord. This has been talked about to death. No, differentiating between single and multi in terms of 'popular' is largely immaterial. Yes, MS needs more games. No, they haven't arrived yet. No, not everything needs to be 'cinematic action game'. No, saying that doesn't mean those games are bad or nobody wants them alongside other types. Yes MS are pivoting to services but they are clearly doing so by, er, investing in games.

WE DONE?

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It doesn't matter what you are discussing, what you said was wrong. Don't try to move goalposts now. Skyrim sold more copies than most of these single player third person action adventure games. There are other examples.
Wow, Skyrim is a first party game? That's great. Since when?

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Oh my good lord. This has been talked about to death. No, differentiating between single and multi in terms of 'popular' is largely immaterial. Yes, MS needs more games. No, they haven't arrived yet. No, not everything needs to be 'cinematic action game'. No, saying that doesn't mean those games are bad or nobody wants them alongside other types. Yes MS are pivoting to services but they are clearly doing so by, er, investing in games.

WE DONE?
I feel like we're having the same discussion in this thread every day now, but now we have people bickering over everything.

Studio acquisitions were at least (for the most part) pretty positive discussion, even if it dragged on a bit long.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like we're having the same discussion in this thread every day now, but now we have people bickering over everything.

Studio acquisitions were at least (for the most part) pretty positive discussion, even if it dragged on a bit long.

I think the issue here mostly is people just want to see new games and the fruits of Spencers work on software. The Acquisitions are too new for that and we are in a lul before next gen. Combined with weak first party turnout this gen overall and it leads to a thirst regarding first party games. The line that Spencer needs more time is wearing thin, especially since he seems to have focused on hardware since taking over Xbox. The hardware is great, it's my primary system. Better turnout on first party would be better but that seems like it won't happen until next gen. That leaves yet another year thinking " better luck next year".

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

To deny Xbox doesnt have any holes in its lineup is like denying xbox sells as many consoles as its competitor.

I don't think anyone is denying that there's been holes in the line-up, but it's how they should be filled we might look at differently. In my opinion it still would be best if each first party did their own thing. Just like I wouldn't push for Nintendo to do cinematic AAA games, I don't think Microsoft should try to ape what Sony is doing. I wouldn't push for Sony to do Zelda or Halo either, which arguably they tried with Killzone. It's better if they find their own thing and their own strength, which could be western RPGs for Microsoft next generation. They would be quite different, but a New Vegas or Knights of the Old Republic style RPG from Obsidian or a Fable from Playground, could be equally appealing as single player games as the cinematic style Sony specialises in.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while since I posted.

Patience clearly isn't a virtue of gamers. XGS has arguably the most diverse 1P setup of any publisher out there.
The quality will come, I have no doubts at all they'll have incredible games in many genres across PC and console. If I was a betting man, I'd say InXile and Playground 2 are the ones to watch.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think anyone is denying that there's been holes in the line-up, but it's how they should be filled we might look at differently. In my opinion it still would be best if each first party did their own thing. Just like I wouldn't push for Nintendo to do cinematic AAA games, I don't think Microsoft should try to ape what Sony is doing. I wouldn't push for Sony to do Zelda or Halo either, which arguably they tried with Killzone. It's better if they find their own thing and their own strength, which could be western RPGs for Microsoft next generation. They would be quite different, but a New Vegas or Knights of the Old Republic style RPG from Obsidian or a Fable from Playground, could be equally appealing as single player games as the cinematic style Sony specialises in.
Outstanding post and I agree with most of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.