• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
You realize we've all ready gotten them, with new ones on the way and people (especially fanboys from other platforms) roast what XGS has on tap now, right?

You realize theres this ridiculous narrative how XGS needs to make Sony-esque games now? And this new schtick about Remedy is comical at best. QB wasn't good enough and XGS would be better off with out Remedy but, suddenly its a great idea if they go over to Sony? And Control legit looks like a spiritual successor to QB if any game ever did. I'm sure you get the point.

Boy, please. Until the fanboy shenanigans and double standards cease, requests for what kind of games should be made under XGS by gamers can't and won't be taken seriously -- at least by me.

I agree with this. Both Sony and MS has money to spend helping first party devs. The difference is that Sony has proven repeatedly that can make those kind of games well, MS hasn't. That doesn't mean MS can't, just they have not shown they can yet. They probably need it more as it is a bit of a gap in MS's portfolio which is exacerbated by the fact that these games are popular now.

Conversely, MS benefited when FPS's were the most popular games around and they had Halo, one of the biggest FPS's in the world while Sony flopped around with Killzone and Resistance.
I believe that the one thing that people do not get when it comes to Microsoft and the strategy they are employing is that they are doing everything to not be like Sony. There are areas where they will be an overlap because they are in the same market, but Microsoft is on a strategy where what they want is to have a diverse portfolio which is the only thing that will drive Game Pass.

They already have a studio that makes the best simulation racer, another that makes the best arcade style racer. They are damn good when it comes to shooting games and they had one of the best fighting games this gen. Apart from that, they have added RPG studios, they have added a studio that makes good action adventure titles, they are building two teams to undertake a new games that are most likely going to be third person adventure titles, and they are going back to their roots with a new flight simulator and Real Time Strategy. To add to these, you still have survival horror and the games that Double Fine makes.

There have been holes in Microsoft's lineup, but what platform holder does not have gaps in their lineup/portfolio?

Microsoft is doing a far greater job trying to lineup as diverse an experience as they can craft, and most on here agree with that. And most who frequent this thread or previous versions of it have voiced concerns as to where it was the lineup was lacking, the need for more first party studios, and there is a confidence that they are on the right path. That does not in any way, shape or form concern people to go spam a Sony first party thread and concern trolling as to how they need more multiplayer content, better racing or shooting games. Or how they need to diversify to a point where not all their huge games are in one genre.

If you are looking at the sheer number of development teams, this is bigger than what anyone else has, especially when you consider that some developers have multiple projects. At some moment in time, Microsoft will stop purchasing studios, but more importantly, at some moment in time, these studios that they have bought will start churning out games. It makes for a better debate to maybe try and see where they are going than fixating on where they were before they started bolstering their first party lineup.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
I believe that the one thing that people do not get when it comes to Microsoft and the strategy they are employing is that they are doing everything to not be like Sony. There are areas where they will be an overlap because they are in the same market, but Microsoft is on a strategy where what they want is to have a diverse portfolio which is the only thing that will drive Game Pass.

They already have a studio that makes the best simulation racer, another that makes the best arcade style racer. They are damn good when it comes to shooting games and they had one of the best fighting games this gen. Apart from that, they have added RPG studios, they have added a studio that makes good action adventure titles, they are building two teams to undertake a new games that are most likely going to be third person adventure titles, and they are going back to their roots with a new flight simulator and Real Time Strategy. To add to these, you still have survival horror and the games that Double Fine makes.

There have been holes in Microsoft's lineup, but what platform holder does not have gaps in their lineup/portfolio?

Microsoft is doing a far greater job trying to lineup as diverse an experience as they can craft, and most on here agree with that. And most who frequent this thread or previous versions of it have voiced concerns as to where it was the lineup was lacking, the need for more first party studios, and there is a confidence that they are on the right path. That does not in any way, shape or form concern people to go spam a Sony first party thread and concern trolling as to how they need more multiplayer content, better racing or shooting games. Or how they need to diversify to a point where not all their huge games are in one genre.

If you are looking at the sheer number of development teams, this is bigger than what anyone else has, especially when you consider that some developers have multiple projects. At some moment in time, Microsoft will stop purchasing studios, but more importantly, at some moment in time, these studios that they have bought will start churning out games. It makes for a better debate to maybe try and see where they are going than fixating on where they were before they started bolstering their first party lineup.
well said

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get back to normal Xbox conversations rather than listen to the drone of concern trolls and morons, please?

Thanks.

This.

Was thinking about the gameplay possibilities afforded by Halo going open world and I'm doing that really REALLY stupid thing of setting my expectations too high that the game will be an immediate disappointment. Whoops.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Great post. Should be threadmarked.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Yet they print their games on plastic discs.
giphy.gif

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Alright, ignoring derails. Do we know what happens to publishing rights for Outer Worlds after this coming up one?

Private Division likely has the first crack at publishing TOW2. However, I would expect Microsoft to settle for that. It boils down to this scenario:

1. Private Division settles with MS, Obsidian makes TOW2
2. MS walks away, Private Division gets nothing, Obsidian has to make a new IP

Private Division is going to get their payday, the only question is how big of a check does MS need to write.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hold up, people aren't saying they need more SP, they are saying they need more SP AAA critically acclaimed exclusive 3rd person action adventure games. None of the other games count.

I think most people just want much higher quality new tentpole SP games from Microsoft, I don't think it necessarily matters what genre it is (though some genres of game are naturally less popular than others). Microsoft could make Banjo Kazoothree, an epic new RPG, a new Perfect Dark, Shangheist, a crazy new high production hack and slash etc, and if they're super high quality, they'd still have the intended impact.

Hell, even a much better, re-imagined Gears or Halo could too, lest we forgot those games are already highly cinematic narrative heavy games, they just need somewhat of a Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil 7 or God of War esque reboot to revitalise things.

It isn't just cinematic third person action games that gain critical acclaim after all (though they are more often the ones that win GOTY awards), see Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Astro Bot, Shadow of the Colossus, Monster Hunter World, Persona V, Sekiro etc, or even Microsoft's very own Forza Horizon. If Microsoft had more tentpole titles of the quality of Forza Horizon 3/4, they'd no doubt start to change the first party narrative in their favour, and simultaneously appeal to a wider demographic of gamers.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Private Division likely has the first crack at publishing TOW2. However, I would expect Microsoft to settle for that. It boils down to this scenario:

1. Private Division settles with MS, Obsidian makes TOW2
2. MS walks away, Private Division gets nothing, Obsidian has to make a new IP

Private Division is going to get their payday, the only question is how big of a check does MS need to write.
Do they make it exclusive though? If not I could see MS walking away.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why is this thread now an official system wars thread? Should this thread just be locked? You know it wasn't a toxic thread thread in its prime. It takes a hell of a lot for a mod to peak here anymore.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's also a person being more negative about XB
it will only get worse brace yourself for all the thrashing these people will give to games the new studios will release because they are not what they personally like and their weird followers will push that as a narrative and shove it under the throat of all of us and say "but but rand and jez said it so it must be true"

I agree with everything you said but this particular point is something I don't think many people see coming despite it being a dark blot on the horizon.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you see a post you believe violates the TOS or otherwise negatively impacts discussion, report it and try not to engage. We take all reports of trolling or system wars seriously, and we will review them to see if they violate the TOS.

The subject of this thread is discussion of Xbox Game Studios and their output. Please remain on topic.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, I wouldn't point too hard at plastic discs. Things are steadily moving away from primarily physical media. I like the bottles, wouldn't mind buying one as official merchandise lol.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If MS wants they will get the publishing rights for Outer Worlds 2. 2K wont be asking crazy money also because that will maybe push MS away from getting it and Obsidian makes a new IP and 2K doesnt get paid at all.
If i am honest i think it would be a better idea to have a new IP. Even if Outer Worlds is good. Just start fresh. Less confusion also because 1 was on other other platforms aswell etc.
But at the end its Obisidan and MS their choice.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If you see a post you believe violates the TOS or otherwise negatively impacts discussion, report it and try not to engage. We take all reports of trolling or system wars seriously, and we will review them to see if they violate the TOS.

The subject of this thread is discussion of Xbox Game Studios and their output. Please remain on topic.

All right thank you!

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Really excited for the upcoming Tech Test :D
I avoided the Versus mode and stuck for the Horde mode for up to a year after launch but surprisingly when i started playing Versus, it just clicked and i've poured countless hours into it.

TepidReliableFlamingo-size_restricted.gif
BabyishElegantAardwolf-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Wait what

Where is the survival horror thing? Do you mean Blair Witch Project?

But i agree that they are doing a great job at diversifying.

If MS wants they will get the publishing rights for Outer Worlds 2. 2K wont be asking crazy money also because that will maybe push MS away from getting it and Obsidian makes a new IP and 2K doesnt get paid at all.
If i am honest i think it would be a better idea to have a new IP. Even if Outer Worlds is good. Just start fresh. Less confusion also because 1 was on other other platforms aswell etc.

The Outer Worlds directors already made it clear that they want to do a sequel, if it's possible

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

If it's a huge hit (which, as much as I'd love, it probably won't be. I'm expecting moderate hit, same for Control), I'd rather MS not try to acquire it and leave it to Obsidian to decide what to do next.

I think Obsidian might end up working on something else anyway. Guaranteed funding and not having to worry about sales means they might try to get some passion projects off the ground.

I just want a KoTOR sequel. Get the rights to Star Wars, you cowards. EA are just pissing them up the wall.

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
If Microsoft buys another studio: What genre would you prefer? RTS, JRPG, AAA Shooter/Action/Adventure, plattforming, Point and Click?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for this.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
We're only talking publishing rights with The Outer Worlds. If Obsidian were independent and funded by smaller publishers, then sequel rights to OW would be an issue, but luckily they are owned by one of the largest companies in the world.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
for me i just hope that TOW is fantastic as many expect it to be so that it will be alot of new people into the ecosystem, it has that potential per the reception....i hope they choose to make a sequel if it hits the anticipated heights...if t does hit that then microsoft has theball in their court, they can move or negotiate

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't expect the publishing rights for The Outer Worlds sequels to be much of an issue. Microsoft already owns the IP and the developer. As others have already said, we'll either get a sequel published by Microsoft or no game at all.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft buys another studio: What genre would you prefer? RTS, JRPG, AAA Shooter/Action/Adventure, plattforming, Point and Click?

I would love to see a studio specialising in platform games like Playtonic seems to be doing currently, but that's just personal preference and might not be something that's appealing to a wider group.

I also miss Twisted Pixel. Not that their games were perfect, but you could easily feel the company dna in all the games they did, even if they were widely different. If they could get a similar studio to that (and Double Fine might already fit the bill), I'd like that. Drinkbox is at the front of my mind having just completed Guacamelee! 2. They do a lot of different stuff, but it's typically still easily identifiable as a Drinkbox game with the type of humor, paper cut-out aesthetic and similar. Someone like that would be a good addition to the team.

If they're looking for another franchise studio, let's get Sumo working on more Crackdown :)

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I just want a KoTOR sequel. Get the rights to Star Wars, you cowards. EA are just pissing them up the wall.

I wouldn't call Jedi Fallen Order piss on the wall, but yeah I really wish EA weren't the sole holders of the SW video game license. The new Battlefront games just aren't my jam.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I must admit, I loved the overall style and feel of Gears MP but I was terrible at it. Far more interested in the Escape and Horde stuff but I should really get into the MP side at some point.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I think there's a democratic side of it too. Microsoft could do well to be very friendly with 2K, and really all publishers, as Game Pass starts to take off.

Think of it this way, Microsoft let's 2K keep publishing Outer Worlds games, maybe under the condition that they are Xbox platform exclusives, then maybe 2K will be more inclined to launch the next XCom, or the next Bioshock or Civilization, or even something like Borderlands or GTA on Game Pass.

Obviously Outer Worlds for GTA isn't really a fair trade, not yet anyway, but a lot more games are probably gonna move towards day one subscription service launches, assuming Take 2 doesn't have their own service, they'll have to chose someone elses. And they'll may remember who let them keep Outer Worlds.

This is but one of many possible futures.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call Jedi Fallen Order piss on the wall, but yeah I really wish EA weren't the sole holders of the SW video game license. The new Battlefront games just aren't my jam.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that FO is a small glimmer of hope in an otherwise disastrous relationship. I really hope we get multiple studios working on SW games when the EA lose the rights. Sony, MS, Nintendo, they all need to get in on the action.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The first few hours of We Happy Few were good but it's starting to piss me the hell off. I have to walk at a annoyingly slow pace in this area otherwise everyone becomes suspicious of me, I have to constantly pop those joy pills otherwise they will all attack me. But they only work for a very short while and if I take too much I get sick and... people won't like it and... yep will attack me.

Plus I can only find these joy pills in those phone booth things. It's starting to ruin my enjoyment.

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
I would love to see a studio specialising in platform games like Playtonic seems to be doing currently, but that's just personal preference and might not be something that's appealing to a wider group.

I also miss Twisted Pixel. Not that their games were perfect, but you could easily feel the company dna in all the games they did, even if they were widely different. If they could get a similar studio to that (and Double Fine might already fit the bill), I'd like that. Drinkbox is at the front of my mind having just completed Guacamelee! 2. They do a lot of different stuff, but it's typically still easily identifiable as a Drinkbox game with the type of humor, paper cut-out aesthetic and similar. Someone like that would be a good addition to the team.

If they're looking for another franchise studio, let's get Sumo working on more Crackdown :)
Twisted Pixel was a studio which similar ideas to Double Fine. Sadly their teased AAA-Project didn't make it. But for me the worst decision was to shut down Press Play, although neither of their new projects gave me a thrill of anticipation.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Think Phil was hinting at something when he wrote that tweet about a Asian studio, or just acknowledging that a Asian studio definitely would be nice to have in XGS? And what studio could be a good fit I wonder, which one is small enough that fits their plans, I guess?

Maybe something for XO19 and maybe it's something that is gonna take a while. I do hope it comes to fruition though.

Oct 27, 2017
for me that rand guy is just a normal youtuber reacting to issues....he is not an insider and knows nothing he might get the occasional tease from people with an actually insiders knowledge that being said all the guys you mention try to act like they represent the xbox community but the reality is they dont...isnt it ironic that these guys were once positive about the process and where the xbox brand was heading but suddenly all of them turn and start acting like those people they always posed against?....they are all moaners and its not like the phil spencer xbox plan has changed...it has not changed so why have they all suddenly turn into moaners?...it shows you that none of them believe what they say,no difference between them or the people who will lambast xbox for anything at this point.... whatever they were saying when they said give phil and the team time to implement their plans...its ridiculous and a sham...all of them sway their opinions based on the popular trend in news and it sucks by hiding behind their efforts to act like they arent fanboys or blind followers of xbox which only makes them look bad because all their arguments are like the negative people they used to be against...imagine using the word "hardcore gamers or Tripple A" in a quest to make a point..terms that no one can definitely define....no one can tell me the plans of xbox now is different than it was 6 or 3 months ago when these people were rallying behind phil and his plans..its ridiculous and i for one see through their crap...its all about the subs,its all about appealing to other people who view them in a different light because of their podcast attachment to xbox...they are all like "lets prove that we arent fanboys,that we arent blind followers,we tell it like it is" whiles making the whole situation worse and not adding anything sensible to the whole situation but further compounding it into a pressure cooker just like the other people these same people tried to call out...no difference they are all on a different side of the same coin

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Twisted Pixel was a studio which similar ideas to Double Fine. Sadly their teased AAA-Project didn't make it. But for me the worst decision was to shut down Press Play, although neither of their new projects gave me a thrill of anticipation.

Yeah, that was why I mentioned Double Fine. Very happy they're on the team now. Their games might not be for everybody, but they always have a lot of heart and you can feel the creators behind them in every single production. They have... Identity, which is some of what I value most in art.

I was never that big a fan of Press Play, but still sad to see them go. Kalimba was supposedly very good, so maybe I should try that sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.