• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the 3 people or so that may care, there was a neat little update for Forza Street a couple hours ago. It added a couple things that will come in handy in the future (like a message area where the devs can share news, tips, upcoming features, etc.), but most importantly any area of the game only requires one energy to progress as opposed to "high level" areas requiring 2 or 3. That drastically decreases the time you need to progress or grind, making it a bit easier to move on. It doesn't change that much because progress is still throttled by car upgrade parts which need up to a week of waiting to get, but it's a positive change for what it's worth.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
For the 3 people or so that may care, there was a neat little update for Forza Street a couple hours ago. It added a couple things that will come in handy in the future (like a message area where the devs can share news, tips, upcoming features, etc.), but most importantly any area of the game only requires one energy to progress as opposed to "high level" areas requiring 2 or 3. That drastically decreases the time you need to progress or grind, making it a bit easier to move on. It doesn't change that much because progress is still throttled by car upgrade parts which need up to a week of waiting to get, but it's a positive change for what it's worth.
Still waiting for this to launch on mobile.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Game running on PC + TeamViewer mobile = problem solved :P

I kid. It would be better to have it on mobile. The gameplay is extremely simplicistic (two-buttons involved, not even steering) so I don't get how it still has not launched on Android and iOS.
Yea, it doesn't really make much sense to me that it launched on PC but not mobile. I'd expect it to be the other way around.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting that Alpha Protocol has been removed from Steam for purchase. It's a longshot, but if Microsoft purchased the IP and was letting Obsidian take a crack at Alpha Protocol 2..... oh boy. A man can dream.

A spy RPG would be such a unique property to have in the MS portfolio. Obsidian certainly has a bunch of lessons learned from the project. Feargus has talked several times about wishing he could do a sequel, but Sega wasn't interested.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I have two thoughts, and in gonna lay them out back to back in one post, because I'm a wild man.

RE Japanese studios and games. Just because we aren't seeing ports yet doesn't mean they aren't in the works. These things can take a minute, longer depending on the studio. Especially if the ps4, PC, or switch versions were already in the works when the deal was made. I hope we see Xbox return to TGS soon, that would really be a show of confidence and commitment to me.

That being said It doesn't really seem like ports are Xboxs focus though, I think they're more concerned with bringing games to the west that wouldn't have made the jump before. Which will probably help in the long run. If these games are successful on Xbox in the west without first being successful on PS4, it shows there's an appetite and it might be easier to convince Japanese developers to aim at Xbox from the beginning. That combined with building support teams in Japan tells me they're playing a long game.

RE XCloud and "forward compatibility". I'm beginning to think more and more that, at least early in the gen, Scarlett games will be supported by Xbox One X at least. Obviously scaled back versions and it won't be universal, but I think it'll be pretty common. The reason I think that is because we know X-Cloud is currently being built with Xbox One hardware, and they're saying it will play "four generations of Xbox games". So either they're gonna have to immediately replace and augment the Xbox One fleet with Scarlett units once specs are finalized, and won't be able to stream any next gen games until the rollout is done, or Xbox One will be able to play Scarlett games at least for a few years so they have time to roll out and QA the Scarlett streaming fleet and eventually cut over from the Xbox One fleet.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I went back and watched the E3 conference again and Phil's interview on GB....I've come around a lot since then lol. Their conference left me bitterly disappointed at first but I see it now more for what it was, teeing up 2020. Very excited for Scarlett, xCloud, Halo, and even Gears 5. Flight Simulator looks awesome too, can't believe they got me hyped for that lol.

Basically...forgive me Father Phil and XBox brethren...I've come to atone for my sins lol.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Replaying Enslaved on XB1X got me thinking on how would people feel if MS bought the IP from Bandai Namco and Ninja Theory finished the trilogy with two more games?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went back and watched the E3 conference again and Phil's interview on GB....I've come around a lot since then lol. Their conference left me bitterly disappointed at first but I see it now more for what it was, teeing up 2020. Very excited for Scarlett, xCloud, Halo, and even Gears 5. Flight Simulator looks awesome too, can't believe they got me hyped for that lol.

Basically...forgive me Father Phil and XBox brethren...I've come to atone for my sins lol.
Yeah, rewatching MS E3 reactions on youtube made me appreciate how good a show they put on.

Oct 25, 2017
Did all those games happen before Kadokawa bought them? Im asking because it might have something do do with it.

Kadokawa bought FromSoft in 2014 to info.

I don't think Kadokawa would be a deal changer for From doing or not doing a MS exclusive.

I also don't think they don't want to do any exclusives lately, not for Sony, MS or Nintendo. Dark Souls is a huge success, Sekiro sold REALLY well and Elden Ring will probably their ticket to even more mainstream popularity. Why trade that for exclusivity?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Kadokawa would be a deal changer for From doing or not doing a MS exclusive.

I also don't think they don't want to do any exclusives lately, not for Sony, MS or Nintendo. Dark Souls is a huge success, Sekiro sold REALLY well and Elden Ring will probably their ticket to even more mainstream popularity. Why trade that for exclusivity?

I personally want Bloodborne 2 as Bloodborne is the best game FromSoft has made imo.

I don't even care if Bloodborne 2 is exclusive to Xbox or goes multiplatt. I just want it.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally want Bloodborne 2 as Bloodborne is the best game FromSoft has made imo.

I don't even care if Bloodborne 2 is exclusive to Xbox or goes multiplatt. I just want it.

It probably won't happen and as someone who absolutely adores the game (although Sekiro is my favorite by From), i really don't want a sequel. It finished everything so neatly.

Also, about the exclusive on the least selling platform: MS now releases their games on Steam and i'm pretty sure it's numbers are on par with the PS4 :P

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, about the exclusive on the least selling platform: MS now releases their games on Steam and i'm pretty sure it's numbers are on par with the PS4 :P

Call me when Gears: Ultimate, Rare Replay, FM7, SoD2, Sea of Thieves and FH4 is on Steam. So far it's only AoE and Gears 4.

I mean, what Xbox is doing with PC is great, but needs a lot of work.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Germany sure loves Forza Horizon 4.

bildschirmfoto2019-06u3kw8.png

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying Enslaved on XB1X got me thinking on how would people feel if MS bought the IP from Bandai Namco and Ninja Theory finished the trilogy with two more games?
They should just nurture the IP they already own. Rare alone has a plethora of IP that should be made, then there is franchises like Lost Odyssey and Recore that has a lot of potential.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They wouldn't. Kadokawa Corp owns several game companies at this point (Spike Chunsoft, From Software, 5pb/Mages) or companies who also publish games (Enterbrain, Kadokawa Shoten) and they're totally hands off. They're just a holding company really.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
On the FromSoftware making 2nd party games debate...you could make the same case for any 2nd party game ever. If Insomniac and Crytek can make second party games, so can FromSoftware. Will they? Doesn't seem like it. They have their A team tied up on a rather large project for awhile. Microsoft appears to be using 2nd party for small to mid sized stuff. Seems like if they're investing in AAA, they want to own it.

In general though, I think the Xbox ecosystem is going to be more attractive to independent developers next gen due to PC and Game Pass. I think we're going to see some surprises in 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me when Gears: Ultimate, Rare Replay, FM7, SoD2, Sea of Thieves and FH4 is on Steam. So far it's only AoE and Gears 4.

I mean, what Xbox is doing with PC is great, but needs a lot of work.

yikes

call me when they put everything immediately where i want because if not it doesn't count even though we know that all future releases will be on steam, which was what we were discussing

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
On the FromSoftware making 2nd party games debate...you could make the same case for any 2nd party game ever. If Insomniac and Crytek can make second party games, so can FromSoftware. Will they? Doesn't seem like it. They have their A team tied up on a rather large project for awhile. Microsoft appears to be using 2nd party for small to mid sized stuff. Seems like if they're investing in AAA, they want to own it.

In general though, I think the Xbox ecosystem is going to be more attractive to independent developers next gen due to PC and Game Pass. I think we're going to see some surprises in 2020.
I do think Game Pass will open up some interesting doors, maybe more PC centric titles coming to Xbox Hopefully.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I do think Game Pass will open up some interesting doors, maybe more PC centric titles coming to Xbox Hopefully.

It's going to open a lot more doors than most of the gaming world are anticipating. It's not just Game Pass in a vacuum. It's the exposure being in Game Pass brings to PC...which is more world wide. When Game Pass is on cloud, $10-$15 dollars gets someone in the ecosystem.

I predict in 5 years, less than 1/3rd of Microsoft's Game Pass subscriptions will be console only. The customer engagement and mindshare of having 20 million people be able to download your game will do more for your brand than selling the game at full price to 200 million gamers...of which only 1-2% of them will buy it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Has Game Pass done anything like that before? A game that normally wouldn't come to Xbox gets ported over specifically do to Game Pass?

Game Pass has been officially on PC for about a week. Not on Xcloud yet. It's been in its infancy and we've seen it have a positive impact on Game brands. If developers were not making games for Xbox this gen due to low player base, then why wouldn't the opposite be true if Game Pass/PC/streaming exponentially increases consumer reach?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
First, it's very hard to buy any Japanese company by American one. It's not just like with any others studios, where Microsoft put money on the table and sign the cheque.
Not that I think this is relevant anymore, but this point is very overstated but gets repeated all the time. It's not hard to buy a Japanese company. It's not. It's a bit more complicated and there are somewhat more rules, but no, it's not very hard or impossible. It's nearly impossible to do a fully hostile takeover in Japan, which is different than elsewhere, but Microsoft isn't going to steal a Japanese studio anyway lol. They just need board approval (and potentially shareholder approval if they go certain ways). No excessive government approval (no more than anywhere else at least) or arcane sacrifices required.

Has Game Pass done anything like that before? A game that normally wouldn't come to Xbox gets ported over specifically do to Game Pass?
Didn't Phil just talk about how he isn't too into the idea of Game Pass exclusives? Stated in that discussion are that devs are coming to him with the intention of just releasing on game pass. I don't think we'll ever know if a game is ported just for game pass. That'd be a tricky marketing move.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
so playing a 1st party game on steam is another loophole? lol. bro

Nothing exists in a vacuum. Putting games on Steam increases the mindshare of Xbox significantly. Indirectly will result in more sales of Game Pass...which increases value and engagement of Xbox ecosystem....which will result in more games in Xbox ecosystem.

Why do you think half the budget for games is advertising in some cases? Mindshare is critical to commercial success. Microsoft putting their games on Steam significantly increases mindshare of Xbox brand. It's why they're taking the margin hit.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Didn't Phil just talk about how he isn't too into the idea of Game Pass exclusives? Stated in that discussion are that devs are coming to him with the intention of just releasing on game pass. I don't think we'll ever know if a game is ported just for game pass. That'd be a tricky marketing move.

I don't think we'd ever know even if it did happen. I doubt games will ever be fully game pass exclusive, I think the most we'd get is "launching early on game pass". Phil talked about people plugging episodic games in to game pass, using time as part of the drama and having that built in audience for each episode, but I can't see buy to own hurting that significantly. Microsoft makes money on sales and game pass, and they have full control over both stores.

If a game was ported to Xbox just on the promise of game pass though, which I think could happen, I don't know how we'd find out. Seems like a decision only the developer or publisher will make. And it could totally happen. Game pass is a guaranteed audience, and once it expands to mobile via streaming it could be a huge boon to games.

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
i hope the 2 SKU consoles will still be a thing i really feel it will be difficult for xbox to maintain the power we think the 1 SKU scarlett will have and still have price advantage in comparable terms to the p.s 5....its really interesting...i hope 1 SKU scarlett doesnt launch been more expensive than the ps 5.....if it does then microsoft needs to do alot of advertising to convince people why they have to purchase their more expensive console whiles we have forward compatibility...i hope they get it right....microsoft have the power of leveraging so i am curious to know how they use that power to reduce the pricing of the next gen console so that it can have power and also price advantage

Roman Bellic

Banned
Jun 13, 2019
Can someone explain me what is the point of making additional Xbox One annotation label at the bottom of front cover for Xbox One game?! That's really strange, incomprehensible for me and looks somehow stupid.​
I know Halo Infinite will be released on Project Scarlett on day one and I know that label will be very reasonable, but on Project Scarlett games cover, not for Xbox One. But why Gears 5, Just Dance 2020 or Zombie Army 4: Dead War? These games are scheduled to be released before Project Scarlett. I know as well Project Scarlett will be/is going to be fully compatible with Xbox One, but this label should be appear on Scarlett's covers anyway, not on Xbox One.​

QNrarh4.jpg

MFAHx5I.jpg

hSSXStc.png

OC3Gx19.jpg

Also, another thing to nice. DOOM Eternal has only Xbox logo at the top and Xbox One label at the bottom, but this game will be also released in 2019, not after November 2020.​

Q6WAB4W.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.