• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I'd love them to expand on the concept and have all kinds of dangers in a huge open world. Imagine having werewolves or ghosts as well along with the zombies. Imagine having tornadoes or sandstorms to defend from. Imagine being in an area with a lot of small islands, bridges brought down by the constant storms, and you either swim or go with a boat in the big waves with sharks and jellyfishes to avoid. I'd adore if it was a full-on disaster simulation with all kinds of monsters, natural events and wild animals to handle instead of just zombies everywhere. It would still be about survival, building and defending your camp and all, but there would be a lot more resources to look for as you have all kinds of different needs and, most importantly, there'd be dozens of different danger scenarios you'd have to face.

Yes... And no. This sounds a bit unrealistic, like throwing everything and a kitchen sink into a single game. I like the basic idea, but I'd prefer it to be a bit more focused, and maybe move further away from the current horror apocalypse theme.

If we're talking simulation-heavy survival of tightly knit communities, which seems to be Undead Labs' current specialty, here are some settings that I would like to see explored:

• '50s sci-fi styled colonization of another planet filled with strange alien creatures and otherwordly natural hazards
  • prehistoric world with dinosaurs and other beasties, either from a perspective of a pulpy group of explorers coming from more modern times OR from a perspective of a tribe of early people (so basically B.C. revived)
  • something akin to The Incredible Shrinking Man or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, where a group of people gets minituarized
  • a group of seafarers/explorers on a ship - lots of different possibilities here, from something inspired by myths of Ancient Greece, Sinbad the Sailor (together with Ray Harryhousen-esque animatronic monsters), to 16th century sea monster hunters or even contemporary fantasy (for example, something like China Miéville's The Scar, just less story-driven)
  • polar explorers faced with Lovecraftian horrors

But I'm also really curious to see what other genre or type of game Undead Labs might be comfortable with.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes... And no. This sounds a bit unrealistic, like throwing everything and a kitchen sink into a single game. I like the basic idea, but I'd prefer it to be a bit more focused, and maybe move further away from the current horror apocalypse theme.

If we're talking simulation-heavy survival of tightly knit communities, which seems to be Undead Labs' current specialty, here are some settings that I would like to see explored:

- '50s sci-fi styled colonization of another planet filled with strange alien creatures and otherwordly natural hazards
- prehistoric world with dinosaurs and other beasties, either from a perspective of a pulpy group of explorers coming from more modern times OR from a perspective of a tribe of early people (so basically B.C. revived)
- something akin to The Incredible Shrinking Man or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, where a group of people gets minituarized - a group of seafarers/explorers on a ship - lots of different possibilities here, from something inspired by myths of Ancient Greece, Sinbad the Sailor (together with Ray Harryhousen-esque animatronic monsters), to 16th century sea monster hunters or even contemporary fantasy (for example, something like China Miéville's The Scar, just less story-driven)
- polar explorers faced with Lovecraftian horrors

But I'm also really curious to see what other genre or type of game Undead Labs might be comfortable with.

Yeah, these sound like great ideas too. It would be nice to see Undead Labs put this concept into a fresher experience: I played State Of Decay to completion but already by the sequel the formula was tiring me a little, so I'd like it to be done in a different setting and not just the usual mindless zombies like in most games. But they are talented and creative devs and now with bigger budget and more technical help from MS, I'm sure their next project will be more solid and less janky than their previous games.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'd simply like SoD3 to be polished to the max, and have a much-expanded relationship/community system with better-written emergent goals and longer-term stories emerging from the scenario.

The gameplay loop is crudely compelling in a fun way, it simply needs a better top and tail and more surprises and deeper meaning (e.g. when a member of the community dies, there's not really that much long-term effect in my experience) to the simulation.

EASY RIGHT?

(I like SoD2 a lot).

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017

What happened to Tunic?

People representing this game (publishers maybe? I know it wasn't the dev himself) were on Keighly's E3 streams and from what I recall he was kind of pushing them on how long until release/how far along is development, but they were pretty non-committal about it.

It always seemed like a 2020 or later sort of thing to me.

Apr 6, 2018
I was talking about the game design of the game, even if the execution was good.
HZD wasn't safe in terms of 'new IP and genre from dev team who never shipped such a game, let alone to such a high quality', but it was safe in terms of design.

That's not to say it's bad, at all.
^^^^
Yay gamepass. I can't wait to see the evolution of the program.

If the proportion that rare gave us the gp could be aroung 5 mln of users right now?
*Poaching

;)

The way it should be. I'd rather they hire high quality developers and take their time, as opposed to rush out a game. If it's a reboot like we think, they need to nail it the first time.
Well I may be ok or not with that vision, but I didn't delivered four games like the forza horizons with seven dlc since 2010, so I guess that I had to trust Playground's management

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I said this on Twitter and in the Discord but MS pulling the Okey doke on a lot of people upgrading to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Get people to sign up for the highest tier $15/mo, and then increase the value of it so by the time their sub is up for renewal they are too used to the service to get rid of it. MP Paywall going away nextgen and all the moves MS is making just hardens my stance on it. Especially with PC GamePass being a separate sub and they need to get those users to upgrade.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Excited to have @CrisCantRead join the @TheInitiative design team!
Drew Murray added,
Cristian E3 tired Zzz @CrisCantRead
So now that im back in LA i think that it would be good to let everyone know that I am working at @TheInitiative in Santa Monica This team is incredibly talented and im excited and blessed to be working with…

Apr 6, 2018
I'd love them to expand on the concept and have all kinds of dangers in a huge open world. Imagine having werewolves or ghosts as well along with the zombies. Imagine having tornadoes or sandstorms to defend from. Imagine being in an area with a lot of small islands, bridges brought down by the constant storms, and you either swim or go with a boat in the big waves with sharks and jellyfishes to avoid. I'd adore if it was a full-on disaster simulation with all kinds of monsters, natural events and wild animals to handle instead of just zombies everywhere. It would still be about survival, building and defending your camp and all, but there would be a lot more resources to look for as you have all kinds of different needs and, most importantly, there'd be dozens of different danger scenarios you'd have to face.

I'm not a fan of werewolves and ghosts

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
User banned (3 days): Don't link to sites associated with harassment movements
There have been some setbacks because of the internet controversy around Tim Soret, but the development is moving along.

I haven't heard anything about that, but Shannon Loftis never had anything to do with The Last Night. It's an ID@Xbox game, not a Microsoft-published title.

Experience would be great, but Grounding and White Owls are also obvious choices - they could even be acquired together, since they're collaborating on The Good Life. Swery seemed to have a good working relationship with Microsoft, and The Good Life definitely had some problems with funding, what with the first crowdfunding campaign being unsuccessful. Of course, Valhalla is also an option, although they're technically a Canadian company now.

Then in South Korea there are Phantagram and Blueside, who've worked with MS in the past.

In relation to Odd Tales, this is probably what I'm recalling. So that's probably the internet controversy you're speaking of too?
Mod Edit: Link Removed.

Also, White Owls, Mist Walker, or Grounding Inc. would probably be the most obvious get. I would love MS to pick up the D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die IP from Access Games and give it to Swery, that man was onto something with that game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
In relation to Odd Tales, this is probably what I'm recalling. So that's probably the internet controversy you're speaking of too?
Mod Edit: Link Removed.

Also, White Owls, Mist Walker, or Grounding Inc. would probably be the most obvious get. I would love MS to pick up the D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die IP from Access Games and give it to Swery, that man was onto something with that game.
Please don't link gamer gate content here.

Last edited by a moderator:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Oh no my friend. Its absolutely true.
People worry too much about things that they cannot influence.

Many on this site have decided what they are going to get next geeration, so power, while it matters, is not the sole reason of people getting the console they will be getting.

I follow that next gen thread, and there was a time when Sony simply having a console in between what Microsoft was going to offer was going to be a good business decision. The power gap if in the range of 20% would also nt matter enough, but it is now a monumental mistake if Micrososoft is somewhat weaker. Microsoft selling more consoles early was being seen as something that would be a blunder too. The opinions in that thread change with every opinion or rumor that comes in.

I have been gaming for so long, and looking back at history, it is worth noting that sometimes someone will end up with a better console because you did a vastly better job designing it. Sometimes it will be that someone messed up, and sometimes it is a timing issue based on when a console launches or a combination of factors that include how much someone is willing to lose money at launch.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Many on this site have decided what they are going to get next geeration, so power, while it matters, is not the sole reason of people getting the console they will be getting.

I follow that next gen thread, and there was a time when Sony simply having a console in between what Microsoft was going to offer was going to be a good business decision. The power gap if in the range of 20% would also nt matter enough, but it is now a monumental mistake if Micrososoft is somewhat weaker. Microsoft selling more consoles early was being seen as something that would be a blunder too. The opinions in that thread change with every opinion or rumor that comes in.

I have been gaming for so long, and looking back at history, it is worth noting that sometimes someone will end up with a better console because you did a vastly better job designing it. Sometimes it will be that someone messed up, and sometimes it is a timing issue based on when a console launches or a combination of factors that include how much someone is willing to lose money at launch.

People were simply saying that If PS5 can get perfect cost/power balance between Lockhart and Scarlet, difference to Power with Scarlet wouldn't matter that much.

And Microsoft being weaker with only one console is different situation than Sony being weaker against Microsoft 2 SKU stragedy.

Next gen start is going to be so much different that old gens, that you cant really compare it to old ones and draw conclusions from there.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Aug 23, 2018

That thread is horrible. You can tell what the vast majority are rooting for every time a new rumor comes out. The salt will be insane if Anaconda ends up being more powerful

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
People were simply saying that If PS5 can get perfect cost/power balance between Lockhart and Scarlet, difference to Power with Scarlet wouldn't matter that much.

And Microsoft being weaker with only one console is different situation than Sony being weaker against Microsoft 2 SKU stragedy.

Next gen start is going to be so much different that old gens, that you cant really compare it to old ones and draw conclusions from there.
Maybe people do not understand the business side of things.

Microsoft just bought a bunch of studios, they just expanded Game Pass to PC. Their aim should it come down to a 2 SKU strategy was always to have something that appeals to consumers at a certain price point and that the diversity of their game lineup would keep people invested in subscriptions.

A low power SKU for people that are price conscious and a more powerful console for people that want that high end product. They have Zen 2, they have Navi, they have a good RAM type and a next generation SSD. That in my books is good enough if it is implemented on both consoles.

At some moment in time, people have to move from this mindset that if Sony is not doing it, then it is not being done right. Nintendo does their thing and they are still in business, Microsoft does their thing and they have been profitable in gaming for ages.......and the same thing applies to whether it is right or wrong to buy studios.

A good amount of people on this topic are invested in Ultimate, for the foreseeable future. Most are already of the opinion that they are going to get a higher powered console should there be an option.....they see no stragedy. If anything, if that pans out well and there are more people on the ecosystem, it lends itself to more subs, more sales, and Microsoft willing to spend more on more varied content.

Some are too caught up in this console war to ever see sense in it. Microsoft particularly in the last two years have made a lot of good decisions when it comes to hardware and services, and in the last two years they have really begun to make inroads into having better software.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Microsoft just bought a bunch of studios, they just expanded Game Pass to PC. Their aim should it come down to a 2 SKU strategy was always to have something that appeals to consumers at a certain price point and that the diversity of their game lineup would keep people invested in subscriptions.

A low power SKU for people that are price conscious and a more powerful console for people that want that high end product. They have Zen 2, they have Navi, they have a good RAM type and a next generation SSD. That in my books is good enough if it is implemented on both consoles.

At some moment in time, people have to move from this mindset that if Sony is not doing it, then it is not being done right. Nintendo does their thing and they are still in business, Microsoft does their thing and they have been profitable in gaming for ages.......and the same thing applies to whether it is right or wrong to buy studios.

A good amount of people on this topic are invested in Ultimate, for the foreseeable future. Most are already of the opinion that they are going to get a higher powered console should there be an option.....they see no stragedy. If anything, if that pans out well and there are more people on the ecosystem, it lends itself to more subs, more sales, and Microsoft willing to spend more on more varied content.

Some are too caught up in this console war to ever see sense in it. Microsoft particularly in the last two years have made a lot of good decisions when it comes to hardware and services, and in the last two years they have really begun to make inroads into having better software.

Absolutely i am not saying only Sonys way is right way. But comparing to Nintendo is also irrevelant because they have always done their own thing and Sony and Xbox have been direct competitors.

And there isn't anymore this "who sold most consoles is ultimate winner". While i think Sony is going to lead on sales again, Microsoft is still going to generate huge profits with Xcloud and gamepass and that is enough for them and that is their strategy. While Sony has PSnow, i dont think it will ever be same value as gamepass or exactly same styled service. We are not going to see PS5 games on there day one, because they mostly make SP games and they make huge profits with those sales.

But next Xbox is going to sell lot better than One. Now they have all these services, games coming and hardware won't be problem.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
That thread is horrible. You can tell what the vast majority are rooting for every time a new rumor comes out. The salt will be insane if Anaconda ends up being more powerful
If all you are so invested in the power narrative, and it shows in the way you debate, then the mental gymnastics are always crazy when things do not go as planned.

All I want from both Microsoft and Sony are consoles that are not too far from one another when it comes to power on the top end. I want Microsoft to succeed with Game Pass, and by succeed I mean become wildly successful because that is what will drive interest and more quality content to the service.

Game Pass for what it is worth is the best service anyone has come out with when it comes to gaming for the price that it is offered at. And they have started ramping up more and more games coming to it on day one.

Oct 26, 2018

• '50s sci-fi styled colonization of another planet filled with strange alien creatures and otherwordly natural hazards
  • prehistoric world with dinosaurs and other beasties, either from a perspective of a pulpy group of explorers coming from more modern times OR from a perspective of a tribe of early people (so basically B.C. revived)
  • something akin to The Incredible Shrinking Man or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, where a group of people gets minituarized
  • a group of seafarers/explorers on a ship - lots of different possibilities here, from something inspired by myths of Ancient Greece, Sinbad the Sailor (together with Ray Harryhousen-esque animatronic monsters), to 16th century sea monster hunters or even contemporary fantasy (for example, something like China Miéville's The Scar, just less story-driven)
  • polar explorers faced with Lovecraftian horrors

I think for the next SoD, it would be smart if undead labs took some cues from days gone( giant hordes, zombie animals, etc.) Also they should add pets or something that can help you look for supplies

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think for the next SoD, it would be smart if undead labs took some cues from days gone( giant hordes, zombie animals, etc.) Also they should add pets or something that can help you look for supplies
All I want is better animations. Way better polish when the finished product ships.

Hope they are hiring people that will help with that because they have a really good game that could do more polish to take it to the the next level or two.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
User Warned: Console Wars; history of similar posts

Ehhh before E3 and Reiners tweet everyone was sure Anaconda is going to be most powerful console and people didn't have problem with that. I think salt would be much bigger If PS5 was more powerful because Xbox fans have been so sure next gen Xbox is going to be most powerful.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
In the thread about next gen I read that Game Informer's Andrew Reiner apparently clarified on what he said. That he didn't just mean PS5 devkits but that developers were given target specs, which is why PS5 would be more powerful.

One thing though, what about Phil saying nobody knows the Scarlett specs yet?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
In the thread about next gen I read that Game Informer's Andrew Reiner apparently clarified on what he said. That he didn't just mean PS5 devkits but that developers were given target specs, which is why PS5 would be more powerful.

Target specs means even less than devkits.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This new? The logo when starting a game.

p4pf80p9z1531.jpg

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This new? The logo when starting a game.

p4pf80p9z1531.jpg

Someone in the Game Pass OT mentioned a survey sent to insiders that talks about this.

I'm in the Alpha Skip Ahead ring in Xbox Insider program and in the hub there's a survey about Game Pass games.

First question ask me: In the last week or so, have you noticed any changes when you start up a Game Pass game on your Xbox?

My answer is… no! Anyone knows WHERE SHOULD I NOTICE ANY CHANGE? 🙄

Next questions of this survey, for interested people.
What do you believe it means when you see a "Game Pass" image when starting a game?
How favorable are you toward see this "Game Pass" image when starting a game?
How valuable is it to see this "Game Pass" image when you start a Game Pass game?
Overall, how relevant is this "Game Pass" image to you?
Overall, how much does this "Game Pass" image when you starting up a game feel like an advertisement?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Can we please not waste time on that in this thread as well? There's already a dedicated carnival of stupid thread.

Nobody knows the final specs for anything right now, not even MS and Sony. There are ballpark aspirational targets that can and will be adjusted based on a number of technological factors and strategic decisions that will be made once the final hardware is available, and that won't be happening for some time.

The info that Reiner has shared in good faith is vague and incomplete, and the internet took it and, not unexpectedly, made a huge mess out of it.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Can we please not waste time on that in this thread as well? There's already a dedicated carnival of stupid thread.

Nobody knows the final specs for anything right now, not even MS and Sony. There are ballpark aspirational targets that can and will be adjusted based on a number of technological factors and strategic decisions that will be made once the final hardware is available, and that won't be happening for some time.

The info that Reiner has shared in good faith is vague and incomplete, and the internet took it and, not unexpectedly, made a huge mess out of it.
As soon as I saw him bring that dumb shit in here I put him on ignore.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Random as hell but does anyone think they'll bring xcloud to macs? I doubt we'd see something like the windows store (or maybe they'll just have Mac versions of steam games) ported over.

Facts, doesn't matter how powerful or how cheap the next systems are the key selling point will be gamepass. Let's say ps5 releases with the last of us 2 and idk a new ratchet and clank (id lose my shit) and Xbox has halo infinite and whatever the other devs are working on. You'll have one console being regular day 1 console and you have to pick the launch games vs a console that regardless of what you buy, you'll get instant access to every must have launch exclusive AND third party games.

Customer love value, switch proves that. Ps4 launch price proves that. If you tell the average soccer mom (if they market it right) hey buy our console and you don't have to buy any additional games, just sign up for a dollar on top of whatever 1/3 month gamepass card that comes with the new hardware. Halo infinite for FREE will move butts trust and believe, like do people honestly think that if ps5 pulled a Wii sports and gave you the last of us and some others essentially for free you guy wouldn't haul ass to such a deal?? Soccer moms are going to lose there shit, I remember asking my mom for the WII and then when we get to the store I ask for Zelda and she reaches in her wallet saying "Ugh there's always something extra."

To the average soccer mom, free is free, that's why every kid is on Apple Music (which I also literally bought an iPhone for) because whose parents are going to buy them a new album every week/month? Power is secondary to value for the scarlet consoles, if you think anything else your wrong. MS wouldn't be pushing gamepass so hard if it was otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.