• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I would be annoyed as hell if the only banjo related news was him as a playable character on smash a game Xbox users can't even play.

We'll, I would have very low expectations. If something has huge as Banjo was happening something would have leak earlier. Plus Spencer said for years how much he would have like to add some Xbox famous character in other platforms games like Smash. Plus the wording of Shinobi's tweet? Yeah I'll go for Banjo and Kazooie in a Smash roster.

Globally, I'm really hype for this E3 and I think it will be stellar. But this time around I have very low expectations, near zero regarding new strong exclusive games announcements.

According to Gary Barlog (CD at Santa Monica) God of War took 4 years of development starting in 2014. Two years into development they had the official announcement for the game at E3 2016. Comparatively Playground has been working on whatever they are doing since 2016 (or earlier) and guess what it is now going to be over two years. I don't see why using your example (even though you got the total dev years are wrong for GOW) that Playground being at least 2 years into development can't also announce something at E3 just like GOW.

Plus look at what TC had put off in a short time with GOW Ultimate and 4.
Well they were already staffed and working.
An impressive one is Kojima Productions. Considering this guy can take forever to make a game, the timing of the studio creation, Death Stranding reveal (an all new IP) the choice of the engine and the first in engine video, damn he worked fast!

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has already posted, but I just listened latest Giant Bombcast where Brad and Jeff mentioned:

"There were a persistent rumor last year at E3 that a major acquisition is going to be announced and then it didn't."

"Way more major than any of the studios they [Microsoft] picked up."

"Big institutional company [Ben started to talking over so the last part is little hazy]".

I remember the crew talking this before MS press conference last year, but afterwards they never clarified if the rumored "major" acquisition was one of the five-six studio acquisitions revealed in the stage. Apparently it wasn't.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Opening with Gears 5 or Halo would be most obvious, but it's also be a huge boost of confidence in their new studios if they let say Ninja Theory show off their game first up.

willbsn

Oct 25, 2017
Opening with Gears 5 or Halo would be most obvious, but it's also be a huge boost of confidence in their new studios if they let say Ninja Theory show off their game first up.
That would be cool. Opening with something we've never seen before in terms of a New IP would be a bold statement, but doubtful IMO.

I don't think they'll open Halo two years in a row, so that makes Gears 5 the logical choice

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Hey people, romance between JD and Kait or not?
I think it would be interesting because we haven't seen a proper romance from a Woman's perspective in videogames outside of Bioware's and some other RPGs.
This relationship has a lot to explore, i hope they are not family as an old rumour suggested.
a4xis33dfdcy.jpg

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I think it would be interesting because we haven't seen a proper romance from a Woman's perspective in videogames outside of Bioware's and some other RPGs.
This relationship has a lot to explore, i hope they are not family as an old rumour suggested.
a4xis33dfdcy.jpg
I'm team Kait + Del

JD can get with that Fauz guy.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
a4xis33dfdcy.jpg
I'd like that in context of Gears 4 but with the last E3 trailer I find it hard to believe in any romance between the 2 can exist.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
a4xis33dfdcy.jpg
They look so different now. By Gears 6, they'll be unrecognizable.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sorry if this has already posted, but I just listened latest Giant Bombcast where Brad and Jeff mentioned:

"There were a persistent rumor last year at E3 that a major acquisition is going to be announced and then it didn't."

"Big institutional company [Ben started to talking over so the last part is little hazy]".

I remember the crew talking this before MS press conference last year, but afterwards they never clarified if the rumored "major" acquisition was one of the five-six studio acquisitions revealed in the stage. Apparently it wasn't.
At this stage I wonder why they don't just say who it was that was rumoured to be picked up?

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

This falls in line with what Waypoint said too. And there was that rumor that started on Polygon about MS buying a major publisher last year. Maybe the choice was to buy one big publisher or a bunch of smaller indies that they could then staff up and they choose the latter because publishers come with a lot of redundancies. Then again a publisher would cost a lot more than what they paid for the acquired studios, so what did they do with the remaining budget, I wonder.

At this stage I wonder why they don't just say who it was that was rumoured to be picked up?
From the Waypoint discussion it sounded like they weren't sure. Austin speculated about Capcom, Konami (Studio not entire company) or maybe Sega game division. This is also speculation but Austin said what if MS was going to acquire Capcom but Monster Hunter World did so well that they didn't need to be acquired anymore. Just to be clear all of this was Waypoint speculation, not rumors.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What? they have like 0 chemistry, this is like shipping Robin Scherbatsky and Marshall, i mean...
I don't know who those people are.

JD and Kait's "moments" in 4 felt really forced to me. I don't know why a woman who grew up in commune of sorts would want to get with what is essentially a male version of Megan McCain.

At least Del had her back in the preview we got.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
a4xis33dfdcy.jpg
A romance subplot ranks pretty high on the list of things I've never wanted in a Gears game.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am going on with Forza Street, probably the only person on this board who bothered doing so. I recently completed episode 2 (out of 3) after a couple weeks of play, a feat only achieved by 0,29% of the players: less than one in 300 people, in short. I've already made a post the other week where I pointed how the progression gets a huge stopgap with the fact that certain events require cars with certain characteristics with certain performances too, and the only way to upgrade them beyond a point is using rare car parts you can only get once per week. But this wasn't a huge issue, so far: worst case scenario you could brute force most events, and you can outdrive a decent amount of gap between you and your AI opponent if you're good at the game. It's grindy, it's f2p, but it was manageable.

Now, I've hit a major roadblock, one I may be stuck for 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, who the hell knows. You have to know that besides the upgrade pieces and the currencies required to upgrade your car, which is really only a matter of grinding and some time, there's also a system of stars related to vehicles. From 1 to 5 stars, every vehicle has various levels to reach. You can upgrade your car with the parts and currency only so far within a star level: to go further, you need to increase the car's star level. How do you do that? Guess what, lootboxes.

I wouldn't be 100% opposed to the idea per se. It's an annoying mechanism, but it's also a F2P game, so it is what it is. Now, these lootboxes can contain a huge variety of cars, including duplicates: it is in fact the duplicates that raise a car's star level, as finding enough of your type increases the star level of said car that you already own. The final event of Part 1 requires a performance level of the car I can only achieve with a 3-stars vehicle of said class. The best I got is 2-stars and something, which means I need at least 2-3 more duplicates of that car to reach what I want, so that I can spend the currencies and car parts to upgrade the car. If you play a lot you can get a lootbox or two per day, but that's it.

I have no idea when I'll get enough duplicates of that specific car to move forward, as the current performance of the maxed out 2 stars car I own is simply not enough to beat said event. Yes, it's a scheme to get me to spend money, but the problem is that I could, in theory, spend 200 Euros and not get a single car of the exact kind I need for that event. 20 Euros get you a whopping 5 lootboxes, basically, and while what I'd get from those are likely useful cars that would make some optional backtracking grind easier to pull off (earning more currency and lootbox credits)... this is pretty annoying. Grinding is no longer enough, I need to play continously and be immensely lucky to go on. I want to go on, I'm in the last 25% of the game or so. But boy this roadblock is an annoying one.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also playing Forza Street. I'm just taking my time with it. I think I'm on the last chapter of the first world/event or whatever lol

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

They say it's 'way more major than any of the studios they [Microsoft] picked up', but they talk about it like it's a singular studio. Jason says that simply announcing "they're going to be making a game" for us is a big deal' - the emphasis here being on the singular "a game". That doesn't read like a publisher. If it were a publisher it would be plural "making games".

I actually think this might be Insomniac. They're one of the few major independent studios still operating, and plus that would also align with what Brad heard last year of an announcement that was tantamount to 'Smashing a PS4 on stage'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also playing Forza Street. I'm just taking my time with it. I think I'm on the last chapter of the first world/event or whatever lol

It's actually a decent game for what it is. I was lucky enough to get a 3-star Camaro ZL1, it's currently upgraded to IP 581 which allows me to brute force most events. The issue is how the final event of each part of every chapter (what a mouthful) requires you to have a very specific kind of car with a pretty good performance, and what I own is not always enough or upgradeable enough without waiting plenty of time. The upside is that I will be able to log-in once or twice a day, get shit done and move on with it. On the other hand, you kinda need to grind to have better chances of progressing with the lootboxes, so... yeah.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I actually think this might be Insomniac. They're one of the few major independent studios still operating, and plus that would also align with what Brad heard last year of an announcement that was tantamount to 'Smashing a PS4 on stage'.

Insomniac under the banner of Xbox Game Studios? Can't really see that happening, but it would be huge. I really liked Sunset Overdrive and last year's Marvel Spider-Man blew my fuckin mind into pieces.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Insomniac under the banner of Xbox Game Studios? Can't really see that happening, but it would be huge. I really liked Sunset Overdrive and last year's Marvel Spider-Man blew my fuckin mind into pieces.
It's purely a guess, and probably a poor one. Insomniac appear to be very financially healthy rn, so I don't know if they'd want to seel. Also technically Insomniac does contain multiple studios, so presumably they would be making 'games' and not 'a game'.

There's gonna be gigatons, i know of one. Do not miss this. That's all I'm going to say.
Thought I'd cross-post this. Dunno how credible Zippo is however.

Last edited:

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
They say it's 'way more major than any of the studios they [Microsoft] picked up', but they talk about it like it's a singular studio. Jason says that simply announcing "they're going to be making a game" for us is a big deal' - the emphasis here being on the singular "a game". That doesn't read like a publisher. If it were a publisher it would be plural "making games".

I have hard time to see why Insomniac would be leaps and bounds more prestigious/major acquisition than Playground Games. Both studios have similarly solid track record this gen and both are developing more than one game at a time.

Also, there is the long history and success (especially with the latest R&C and Spiderman) with Sony + multiple people from Insomniac have mentioned how much support Sony gives when developing single-player games which Insomniac is best known for: "Sony FP has the best pipeline and support system in the business to create big story-based games. Some people don't realize all of the support a publisher can give a developer, and that's true of every major publisher for every major game."

If I had to guess Insomniac is one the independent studios that will continue working closely with Sony when next-gen consoles have released.

Status
Not open for further replies.