• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Wow, big news! Hope things go smoothly.

MS's record with franchise movies/tv shows are bad. Halo TV show still in pre-production, movie got canned. Minecraft movie got postponed and even Universal's Gears movie is not even in production even though it was announced during the launch of Gears 4

Well, there were three other Halo TV series that did come out, they were okay, not terrible.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Halsey was barely in halo 4... yo what game did you play lol. In 5 yeah they did but she was barely there in 4's CANPAIGN. Maybe in spartan ops sure but she didn't real do all that much. The librarian and didact are forunners. Us readers knew about him for sure, ngl. But if you played halo games at all you'd know who the Forunners are. Librarian basically created moder day humans and specifically John. Didact hates humans and seeked to rule the universe by using humanity as bullets in his war with the composer. Really don't know what's hard to understand about that, I didn't even go in depth with the halo 4 terminals. That's just what you learn off the cutscenes. That's just speculation, forunners are pretty much god like beings so it wouldn't surprise me if didact had a back up body or some shit. None of that is confirmed though, just speculation. Like, if you skipped all the cutscenes I'd understand where your lost but your missing key details of the story... how you do know what the composer does but not what it the didact was going to use it for like? He literally pulled up on earth prepared to use it on everyone... that was the last mission in the game. You should replay it, still, i garuntee you can't name a more emotional and character driven/growth plot in halo more than what 4 did.

How isn't that A class character growth, we don't even see his face but you know EXACTLY what he's feeling. I can't think of any other scene in halo that's like this. The other games definitely had slightly more mystery but is halo fans knew who the forunners are, there kinda like the main plot of halo in general so no books were required to understand that. Does it help? Sure, but I honestly think it adds to the mystery for fans that don't know. All they know is some god like forunners woke up to a new universe and wants to rule it because he thinks it's his birth right. That's what you should've taken away, just not some dude with a composer, I mean mans does a loooot of I am holier than though speaches throughout the game, made it pretty obvious.

ALSO she's not a mad scientist. Oni just wants her dead/silenced. Look what they did to keegal (the y'all dude from key an peele) from hunt the truth. She does generally care for a lot of her Spartans. Her thirst for knowledge teeters on the edge of mad for sure but that's always been her character, knowledge over everything else.

At the end of the day the universe took a back seat in a halo game and focused on master chief and Cortana's relationship, that was literally the whole point of halo 4. Seriously go watch a review for it, people will tell you why. Sure they took the universe to unknown direction, but if anything I think that was the least read the books to understand halo theres ever been. That candle goes to halo 5.

They didn't need to have Halsey in the game for long to change the way she is. It's clear from the opening pre-rendered cut-scene. The whole story arc of her being the scapegoat for the Spartan 2 project is also BS. They just forced all of this in because they needed Halsey to be a potential enemy in sparton ops.

I know who the Librarian, forerunners, and Didact are. I just think they did a horrible job explaining who these characters are or their significance to the universe. Also don't get me started on the "seeds" the librarian left and John's "evolutionary journey". They turned Chief into space Jesus with that bullshit. Trying to push the notion that his physical nature, the suit, combat skill, etc. is all the result of some gene seeds is so silly and stupid, it hurts my brain.

The whole relationship between John and Cortana was the only aspect that wasn't a train wreck. So it makes sense you want to focus on that. However there is just so much wrong with everything else that it's a damn shame what 343i have done.

I don't necessarily agree with your sentiment about the state of the universe, even if I do think they made a mistake by leaning too hard on EU stuff in 4. At the end of the day, in Halo 4, you don't need to know there are two Didacts. It's completely inconsequential to that story.

As for the Knights, at first, he wanted his elite soldiers' knowledge and experience, but freed from organic bodies. Given the threat of the Flood, I think that makes a kind of sense...

I agree that there being two Didacts is inconsequential to the story and that's what makes that story thread stupid. It just drives confusion from people like me who have fallen behind with the books but still tries to keep up with the story in Halo.

I also get their intentions with the knights. I just think it's incredibly stupid. It's never properly explained what the prometheans are and it's puzzling how 343i is OK with that.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
How many of those minutes relate to a certain bear and bird.

Banjo will be there, but it will evoke the same feelings as this:

conker.jpg

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm disappointed already. Xbox: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

All I want to see is big acquisition news out of Japan. Unannounced games from there.

All the announced shit is not interesting at all to me, and the all but confirmed Fable 4 I've been waiting for needs a trailer or teaser.

10 years since Lost Odyssey, better late than never pittance from 3rd parties. Fable is still dead. Gears of War is the most boring franchise I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing and it's getting flagship hawked with franchising along with hardware upgrade hype it seems like every year. I'm not willingly playing any of that shit.

I bought the One X that I didn't need. I pay for Game Pass that I don't need, waiting for first party exclusives to justify everything.

One week to find out if I should dump my Microsoft stock, and stop supporting the brand entirely. E3 needs to be good, and I have a feeling it won't be.

Only a few back compat releases for weeks and months, tune into IX to get hawked controller paint jobs and bundles for shit I own already, or listen to enthusiam for game updates. God damn. Crackdown 3 might have killed all hope.

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty sad that E3 2018 didn't have a fleeting moment of there being a new Conker game
My favorite one was Lucky Tales

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm disappointed already. Xbox: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

All I want to see is big acquisition news out of Japan. Unannounced games from there.

All the announced shit is not interesting at all to me, and the all but confirmed Fable 4 I've been waiting for needs a trailer or teaser.

10 years since Lost Odyssey, better late than never pittance from 3rd parties. Fable is still dead. Gears of War is the most boring franchise I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing and it's getting flagship hawked with franchising along with hardware upgrade hype it seems like every year. I'm not willingly playing any of that shit.

I bought the One X that I didn't need. I pay for Game Pass that I don't need, waiting for first party exclusives to justify everything.

One week to find out if I should dump my Microsoft stock, and stop supporting the brand entirely. E3 needs to be good, and I have a feeling it won't be.
Just dump it, save yourself the stress.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are making your decisions regarding Microsoft stock based on Xbox Japanese exclusives?
My god lol

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hot dang man. We're talking about non-essential products here. Don't keep buying in with the hopes that you'll get what you want. Buy shit based on results and not promises.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only a few back compat releases for weeks and months, tune into IX to get hawked controller paint jobs and bundles for shit I own already, or listen to enthusiam for game updates. God damn. Crackdown 3 might have killed all hope.
Lol

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Had a thought - Obsidian was working on an MS exclusive called Stormlands for launch on the Xbox One before it was cancelled right? What are the chances they revisited that work for next generation instead? They must have done a tonne of preproduction and investment into it...

What do you guys think? Any chance it could be revived?

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018

Let me get this straight the Xbox division has made more money in the last two years than they ever have, and you want to dump your Microsft stock because of

E3 needs to be good, and I have a feeling it won't be.

giphy.gif

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

You can bounce bro, no one's holding you down here. It's also really easy to cancel your game pass sub if you don't need it. You can even restart it later when they add games you want.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I agree that there being two Didacts is inconsequential to the story and that's what makes that story thread stupid. It just drives confusion from people like me who have fallen behind with the books but still tries to keep up with the story in Halo.

I also get their intentions with the knights. I just think it's incredibly stupid. It's never properly explained what the prometheans are and it's puzzling how 343i is OK with that.

Well to be fair, so far it's completely inconsequential to the games at all, so if the games are all you were interested in, you could ignore it entirely (and indeed, if you hadn't been looking into EU stuff to begin with, it's something that you would never have come across [I really don't mean for this to come across as hostile or accusatory, so please forgive me if it reads that way]). That may change in Infinite, of course. I can agree that it's a bit of a fudge to make both an antagonist Didact and the Halo 3 terminal Didact make sense, but having read the Forerunner Trilogy, it's not something I ever thought was stupid. In fact Cryptum - the book that first brings up the two Didact thread - is a really good read, by a well-respected hard sci-fi author.

The Knights are explained, albeit in a terminal, which I would absolutely agree is not ideal. However, there are things you can infer just from the setting of Halo 4; we know we're on a Forerunner world, so these are obviously Forerunner constructs. We know the Forerunners were at war with the Flood, a parasitic lifeform that infects organic life. Therefore we can at least infer that at some point the Forerunners created artificial soldiers to combat that threat. I think that's kind of enough for the average player, at least so far as 'understanding' goes - I know a lot of people don't like the Prometheans from a gameplay perspective, but I see that as a separate issue. Maybe I'm wrong in that.

Slash12771

Jul 12, 2018
Hoping to see the fruits of MS first party efforts this year. NT should be showing something. I think Fable will be revealed this year. Battletoads, and Gears 5 plus Halo Infinite will be making appearances. Forza is still on break right? I think MS biggest problem this gen has been getting some big name 1st party titles. I think 2019 is still too early to see the 1st party results I want, but e3 2020 should be a good year for that. Since obsidian, and the other companies would have enough time to really settle down and develop.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Hoping to see the fruits of MS first party efforts this year. NT should be showing something. I think Fable will be revealed this year. Battletoads, and Gears 5 plus Halo Infinite will be making appearances. Forza is still on break right? I think MS biggest problem this gen has been getting some big name 1st party titles. I think 2019 is still too early to see the 1st party results I want, but e3 2020 should be a good year for that. Since obsidian, and the other companies would have enough time to really settle down and develop.

I think the next step for Microsoft is to diversify its portfolio. Not in terms of genres, which I feel they have a decent handle of, but more so where their developers are located. If they are acquiring studios, hopefully they're in Japan or Europe outside of the UK.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Ugh when you get the email that you were chosen for a briefing ticket but already have your work travel booked to the other side of the country 😒

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Was told they are expected to talk in multiple % terms of performance gains, IE 2x,3x,4x,

So XB1S - 4x performance for Lockhart, 2x of XB1X for Anaconda.

This was hard info to lock down mostly becuase I dont think Microsoft fully knows yet, they just started getting production samples from AMD and performance output can vary widely right now with simple things like adjustments to clock speeds etc. Among those talked to, who absolutely would know this information, these performance figures were the consuses of the group.

thank you for taking your time to comment on that part.
Knowing they just have received production samples from AMD would indicate that the 'next level' stuff that hasnt been announced you think? >=D

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this straight the Xbox division has made more money in the last two years than they ever have, and you want to dump your Microsft stock because of

E3 needs to be good, and I have a feeling it won't be.

giphy.gif

Gamers are a dramatic bunch, mostly due to oppression and the need to rise up

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Wait a minute, a mad power hungry king uses The Spire to destroy the world, consigning the old kingdom to myth, and then a long time later a new kingdom has risen and a new hero must stop a new threat from destroying the world again... Isn't that basically already the plot of Fable?

Add time travel because someone saw a movie I'll tag as a spoiler below recently and ad another planet because someone got really excited by the lighting demo in Mourningwood in Fable III.

Avengers

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019

LOL!!!!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Sell Xbox. Reinvest in some yoga classes or something.

You shouldn't be this stressed out over a toy. It's not that serious. If it's not not fun...mentally, physically and emotionally invest in something else.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

I genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Last edited:

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Had a thought - Obsidian was working on an MS exclusive called Stormlands for launch on the Xbox One before it was cancelled right? What are the chances they revisited that work for next generation instead? They must have done a tonne of preproduction and investment into it...

What do you guys think? Any chance it could be revived?

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. Because the more I think of this, the more I think it's possible. Someone agree with me already so I can move on with my life.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.