• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The little stuff from Wasteland 3 you can see there looks great already.

I'm so happy the team at inXile will get so many more eyes on this game. I hope the added resources will really result in a polished product. Could be one great key-title for Game Pass PC.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If God of War after 4 mainline titles (4th being the mediocre one) can re-invent itself and become better for it, Gears or Halo can do the same.

The same can be said about Spiderman, how many mediocre Spiderman titles have been released?

As for NEW IP to challenge Ghosts/Death Stranding, well yes MS needs to have a healthy approach to NEW IP alongside existing franchises.

Personally as a fan: I wish MS would fund a FromSoft Action/RPG game.

I think there's a distinct difference. Did God of War have a hardcore fan base for the mechanics and game design of God of War, or for the premise, characters, story, and style?

Being multiplayer, it's much harder for Gears or Halo to get really crazy without pissing a ton of people off. They have staple gameplay that isn't offered in the same way by anyone else.

Perhaps innovation should come in the way of structure and format, not radically changing the core game. Halo and Gears innovated so much in that department and set the standards for everyone else. 2 weapon limits, regenerating shields/health, cover systems, and even active reload all permeate in other franchises today.

Halo and Gears can continue to innovate and grow, but a radical reinvention is not so much needed. Baby steps. If both games go open world for campaign, that's a pretty good and kind of large leap already.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I personally have always been of the mindset that Halo/Gears should go design crazy for their campaigns and separate their MP components so that fans can have their core intact. But yes, change too much about any of them and they are no longer Halo/Gears that fans want.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
The little stuff from Wasteland 3 you can see there looks great already.

I'm so happy the team at inXile will get so many more eyes on this game. I hope the added resources will really result in a polished product. Could be one great key-title for Game Pass PC.

Feeling a little dumb to have "preordered" (backed) a game that'll end up on game pass though... :(

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think there's a distinct difference. Did God of War have a hardcore fan base for the mechanics and game design of God of War, or for the premise, characters, story, and style?

It had a hardcore fan base for the mechanics and the game design. Did you somehow miss all the concern and dissatisfaction with the changes before the game released? Meanwhile, even many of the series' fans thought that Kratos was an annoying character, repulsive in his constant anger, and eventually almost a self-parody. In the reboot many of those elements were, well, rebooted.

That said, I don't think that Halo needs a reboot, and in terms of characters and narrative, Gears has already had one in Gears 4.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I never played a Conker or Banjo game.

anigif_sub-buzz-6979-1503356981-5.gif

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it does seem like Microsoft is courting some smaller to midsized publishers for game pass partnerships. Paradox just announced this, and said they'd be announcing the first slate of releases at the Xbox briefing next week.

The tweet made it seem like they were just gonna throw some old games on there, but the post above is a little more detailed and it does say "launching on day one". Hope we'll see a few more publishers make similar announcements over the next week or so.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
How can your hype be so low for something you haven't even seen or played? Let alone heard of.

Apr 6, 2018
Stealth you say? Do I need to hide in bushes in Gears too now?
Never heard about any bushes

Stealth in Gears eh?

LikelyFantasticBellsnake-size_restricted.gif
The crouched walking kind evolves the meta of the game more than any other changes
Still not sure about the Hub. Think Kait and Del will go on a journey and Marcus and JD handle more the Jin problem and politics.
Marcus his voice actor also said Marcus was gonna be abit more of a father figure in this one and i think Marcus and JD being together only will help that. This is gonna create in some good banter for sure.
Escape is a sort of campaign, or at least TC considers it like something in the middle between a horde and a story mission.
If you think about it, enemies always start running once you see them in a zone in prior games. Even when they teach you how to yank and execute a deebee at the beginning of 4, it alerts the entire patrol instead of being a cool stealth kill.

I wont be reading the details that Morgoth posted, but I appreciate him posting that for people who are dying for information haha. Hopefully nothing too spoilery in there...
Obviously, all the deebees are connected to the same network. Those showed in the trailer are infected by the smarm.
Look the final act of gears 4, while JD is talking with Jin via a deebee, a pouncer, infects it with a needle and it starts to behave differently.
I really hope Gears doesnt have stealth hiding in bushes/3 talent trees and tacked on crafting.
The escape mode is exciting though!
Never heard of any bushes.

Is Escape going to take the place of Horde or will it be a separate game mode?
Separate.
I think it'd be cool if we swapped back and forth between Kait/Del and Marcus/JD. Maybe like a 70/30 split. Kait and Del segments would be all new gameplay types. Open(ish) world, open quest system. Stealth. All that jazz. And Marcus/JD segments could be more traditional, linear, cover based shooting. Nice balance of old and new
No way it behaves like this, Jd and Marcus will partecipate for sure in sequences like the absedium of a human city showed in the e3 trailer.
They may have their own escape map.
Right now I'm more excited for escape than for the campaign
I want all that info about Gears 5 to be true, but something doesn't click, The Coalition is a big studio but this seems like a little bit too much for them, Gears 5 depicted by Morgoth Bauglir doesn't sound like your typical AAA game, it sounds like a fucking AAAA, just imagine all the resources put into New Ephyra and the Escape mode.
IDK anything about New Ephyra, it could be easily five square meters or daggerfall big AFAIK.
Escape may be a big deal.
Still TC is not little, they are 350+ last december and they outsource a ton of work( 5:30-6:00), outside of tactics and pop. Plus there's the unknown project in the making behind the scense.
Plus studio size doesnt' mean anything, re2remake and ac odissey claimed both to have used 800 developers and the sizes of the games are so different
It doesn't sound out of the realm of possibilities to me. Unreal is a really good engine to work with. Then there was that developers conference where the coalition showed how much people they have working at their studio + subcontractors. It wasn't an exact number but from the graph they showed it was in the 650-750 range. Half of their work was subbed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHHzSdqJbZs&feature=youtu.be almost 700.
This obviously includes tactics, pop, 4 post launch and maybe PD
Like someone said 70/30 split can be the case. I dont see them focusing only on Kait and Del. We for sure get some parts with JD and Marcus dealing with the whole COG situation etc.
This will result in some good banter between JD and Marcus also and their history.
Or Jd and Marcus will have their own escape campaign
The thought of exploring New Ephyra sounds great, hopefully it's not as boring as the first settlement from Gears 4 though.
I've never heard about exploring new ephyra, only that it's in the middle
While i do think that the post-launch cosmetics for Gears 4 were simply amazing, i do hope that the way of progression in Gears 5 isn't as focused on lootboxes like it was with Gears 4. Really hoping for some transparency on that in the upcoming weeks.
Well new horde, versus and escape content won't be developed for free

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Escape campaign? Hope not. JD and Marcus need to be part of the SP also and their journey there.

Apr 6, 2018
That would be a huge mistake and not liked by the community. Wouldnt think Coalition would be that dumb.
Why? They will still have their mission and the community may even enjoy that more than the kait's one because it will be closer to 3/judgement structure.
In the trailer the even set a new character who looks a close friend of jd, Fazh Chutani(the guy who talks with jd)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why? They will still have their mission and the community may even enjoy that more than the kait's one because it will be closer to 3/judgement structure.
In the trailer the even set a new character who looks a close friend of jd, Fazh Chutani(the guy who talks with jd)
Because the need to be part of the story. Not part of some PVE mode. The story so far is perfectly setup now with Kait and Del going on their own journey and Marcus and JD dealing with the COG situation and then at the end meet up again. Would be pointless and really bad if we only get to see JD and Marcus in cutscenes on the stuff they are doing.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
From the Xbox Games Studios site:

unknown.png

I've been saying this for years and with the recent investments in the PC space, i wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the 14 games for this years briefing.

Also imagine seeing Mechwarrior, Age of Empires and MS Flight Sim on stage this year :D The three oldest gaming franchises that MS has (correct me if im wrong btw).

Apr 6, 2018
Because the need to be part of the story. Not part of some PVE mode. The story so far is perfectly setup now with Kait and Del going on their own journey and Marcus and JD dealing with the COG situation and then at the end meet up again. Would be pointless and really bad if we only get to see JD and Marcus in cutscenes on the stuff they are doing.
they could deal with that without being playble and still being part of the story, their deal with Jin will be obviously treated in game. They will partecipate for sure in the absedium showed in the trailer.
Their eventual escape campaign will just be one of their mission for the cog.
Their journey won't be the only part of the plot, they will remain in contact, especially if got right the New Ephyra hub
I'm sure that they don't have any campaign, plus there are several things that I need to clarify. If new ephyra is the center, why they start from that village

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
That would be a huge mistake and not liked by the community. Wouldnt think Coalition would be that dumb.
Meh. They could throw a ton of lore into that escape mode with the short narrative touches. Cool stories from JD's childhood, them sharing memories of Anya, and them growing and developing a closer relationship. I think it could be really cool.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Why don't they just focus on making the campaign as much epic and polished as possible instead of trying to build all those modes? I don't think it's a smart choice. Just focus on the campaign and pvp.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it does seem like Microsoft is courting some smaller to midsized publishers for game pass partnerships. Paradox just announced this, and said they'd be announcing the first slate of releases at the Xbox briefing next week.

The tweet made it seem like they were just gonna throw some old games on there, but the post above is a little more detailed and it does say "launching on day one". Hope we'll see a few more publishers make similar announcements over the next week or so.

They own HareBrained Schemes, a studio still making content for BattleTech. The rights to both BattleTech and Shadowrun belong to Microsoft since they bought FASA.

It would not surprise me if Paradox and Microsoft reached some deal that would allow HareBrained Schemes to keep making games with those IPs (the head of HBS created both Shadowrun and BattleTech), but in exchange those games have to be GamePass material.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Dont think that gamemode is gonna be that interesting story wise. Can someone link me that leak again of the mode.
Because of what i remember it looked more like a strike then a part of the campaign story. Really doubt its gonna be such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.