• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
1) get rid of UWP (read- allow mods)
2) bring 360 emulation on PC and give us access to Xbox' BC catalogue.
3) streamline the store + downloader (allow download throttling, allow users to choose install directories)

Basically, make the process as hands-off as possible, and bring backwards compatible Xbox titles on PC (could be part of GamePass). Doesn't take much.
Uwp (or some evolution of it) is the primary development platform for the upcoming wcos kernel update, so I doubt it will get rid anytime soon.

Though, it's already moddable... I can see they making some design changes to make it better though.

2 is allegedly in works, but who knows if they are actually able to deliver it.

Regarding 3, I'm sure it will be improvements but I dunno about letting you chose ant directory. It's a design choice to have the folder owned by the system instead of the user... Though who knows, I can see they being more lenient to have some of their design decisions go in favor of pleasing consumers.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You made that Klobrille? Its nice.

D7MGpdQX4AEdv8N.jpg:large

Jul 13, 2018
Klobrille Any word on Ninja Theory's Bleeding Edge? I'm asking since I'm seeing two conflicting reports online. On one hand, it's rumored to be a PvP arena-style sci-fi game while on the other, it's rumored to be a narrative based co-op PvE sci-fi game (which I'd personally prefer). Thanks in advance.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn when it comes to compatibility for next gen games. On the one hand, I have a One X, and it's such an animal I'd hate to see it just get shoved aside for a next gen system, but I also don't want next gen games to have to target an aging spec. On the other hand, I'm gonna play Fable IV as soon as physically possible, and I'd rather not stream it if I can help it, at least not to begin with.

I plan to trade my system in but they do have a situation where they are going to have to retire at least one system early and it's likely the 1X.

We will see something from them. It could be an in engine tech demo or just a pre-recorded video interview but I'm sure some of the new studios will definitely have a presence at E3..

They just had a pitch meeting recently. They are nowhere near ready to show anything. We know that some of the new studios will have a presence but the initiative won't be one of them.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
They just had a pitch meeting recently. They are nowhere near ready to show anything. We know that some of the new studios will have a presence but the initiative won't be one of them.
Patrick Soderlunds Embark Studio released this tech demo just weeks after the studio was announced.
They were currently less than 20 devs when they did that. What makes you think TI can't show off something similar to hype up fans.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Patrick Soderlunds Embark Studio released this tech demo just weeks after the studio was announced.

They were currently less than 20 devs when they did that. What makes you think TI can't show off something similar to hype up fans.
I mean they can but that vid is also probably for investors or kickstarters to get people interested to join etc.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
This is the move that is most interesting to me. We've all noticed that Game Stack is missing an engine. Buy the Fox Engine, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman, and the rest of their IP, then give those projects to newly acquired and existing XGS studios. Use the existing developers (what's left of them) to make games in Japan.

I wanna take this aside for a second. Not picking on you specifically, but a lot of people say this. Game Stack doesn't need an engine. If Game Stack becomes an all in one engine, then it's not a stack anymore, it's an engine and if you want to use the features you're tied to that engine. Game Stack is much better off being a series of APIs that can be plugged in to any engine, then developers can use whatever engine they want to use, and still take advantage of Game Stack. You tie all that to an engine and you're eliminating tons of potential customers in people who are used to Unreal, or used to Unity, or other companies like Ubisoft or EA or IoI that may want to use game stack features but have an engine they're using already.

Microsoft acquiring an engine and making it a spoke for the wheel of Game Stack isn't impossible, but it'd be a whole different direction than they seem to be going.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna take this aside for a second. Not picking on you specifically, but a lot of people say this. Game Stack doesn't need an engine. If Game Stack becomes an all in one engine, then it's not a stack anymore, it's an engine and if you want to use the features you're tied to that engine. Game Stack is much better off being a series of APIs that can be plugged in to any engine, then developers can use whatever engine they want to use, and still take advantage of Game Stack. You tie all that to an engine and you're eliminating tons of potential customers in people who are used to Unreal, or used to Unity, or other companies like Ubisoft or EA or IoI that may want to use game stack features but have an engine they're using already.

Microsoft acquiring an engine and making it a spoke for the wheel of Game Stack isn't impossible, but it'd be a whole different direction than they seem to be going.

I don't think there's anything wrong with MS offering an engine as part of Game Stack. They don't need to make the use of the engine mandatory to use the rest of the services in Game Stack.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know how long the Xbox conference is going to be this E3?

Was thinking about some of the announcements that has a good chance of being there, and how much time each game will have to show.

-Halo Infinite
-Gears 5
-Gears Tactics
-Age of Empires
-Ninja Theory Game
-Outer Worlds
-Battletoads
-Dino Crisis Remake
-CyberPunk
-Great Rune

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

While I agree, having an engine with the full stack implemented and ready to use could go a long way to drive the adoption of the services and their development platform.

Of course eventually every big engine adds support for this but imagine if unreal engine for instance defaulted to using Xbox live for networking?

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xbox consoles as hardware for arcade units sounds pretty kosher. I'd like to see that :-P

I wonder if we'll see any Asian studio acquisitions at this e3

If it means we get more game ports, I'm all for it.

New arcade boards, new rebranded consoles in homes, new xCloud WonderSwan phone service to hook Japanese mobile users.

If Phil were to ink a deal to give most of it to Bandai Namco, I could see them sooner than Sega being successful in Japan, and even willing to bend Sony over in a console war fight by reining in their own brands and IP to exclusivity.

It would be crazy and exciting to see anything at all happen in Japan though.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
While I agree, having an engine with the full stack implemented and ready to use could go a long way to drive the adoption of the services and their development platform.

Of course eventually every big engine adds support for this but imagine if unreal engine for instance defaulted to using Xbox live for networking?

Yeah, which would be much less likely to happen if Microsoft were a direct competitor of Epic, as opposed to just a service supplier.

Besides a whole, all purpose engine is a lot to maintain, much more than something like a service package. Microsoft would be taking on a crazy amount of overhead and taking on an entirely new kind of business, and unless they bought someone like Unreal, they'd not be guaranteed to see any major profit out of it. Even with Unity, since Unity makes a lot of money off adds, they'd restructure it so much they couldn't just assume they'd be making the same profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.