• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Inappropriate Terminology
That's interesting, because back then the rumour would have been baseless speculation. According to rumours, Playground were initially pitching an original IP action RPG to multiple publishers, but they failed to land a deal, so Microsoft then suggested that they turn it into a Fable game instead. To my understanding, that happened at some point in 2017, not earlier than that. The first confirmation of Playground's second studio came at the start of 2017, and the first news of their second project being an RPG - still not Fable at that point - broke later that year.
MAybe MSFT read the comments and thought that it was a great idea? \s/
Well I had to say that the friend that told me that detail was a irl friend of Stefania Duico, at the time manager of XBox in italy and now she covers the same role with Netflix. So maybe he could've heard something from her.
But Gears 3 is the best in the series :/
I don't think so. The level design was hurt by the decision of using four players coop instead of two, making all the game like a collection of hordes with small effective variety of enemies(the opposite of 4 which has fewer enemies but with better caratterizations)and unbalanced weapons. The later hurts even pvp which was definitely fucked by judgement. The only things in which 3 is better Imho are horde and beast.
I think the reception will be divided, especially if you look at the Forums, lot of people not happy with Kate being the main protagonist but the Gears hardcore fans are never happy, haha.

I think it was a very good trailer, the voice acting, animations and the setting all added to the gravity of the moment. Doesn't look linear and the environments themselves are quite excellent.

I am personally curious about what they can do graphically. I want to see RTX, Industry leading Graphics, 4k 60 on 1x and PC will be mind-blowing. Can they hit 1080p 60 on 1S?
Hey I'm happy with Kait as long as she doesn't drop sjw bombs from nowhere.
When someone will clearly demonstrate why open space will fit gears I will rest, until then I will fight this nonsense.
I only played the first game and its remaster, playing through the second. Not a fan of anything so far, really. It's an okay franchise, nothing special thus far. Having said that the trailers for Gears 5 look great, which is one of the main reasons I am pushing through these games even in the parts I'm not enjoying a lot. After seeing the 15th "let's split up in these two conveniently placed tight corridotrs" section I can't help but roll my eyes, so the more open design of 5 sounds refreshing to say the least.
People like you are reason why franchises decay.
Hey Morgoth Bauglir
Can you please stop doing those monster comments? LOL

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep up the Wall of China Quote posts, keep the One Word Cool Or LetsGo posts.

Keep the dookie, crapdown and L if < 90MC scores the fuck out of this thread :)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Sorry, what does that even mean.. Like she's not allowed to run through the streets with a chainsaw yelling "FEMINISM!!!!"? I mean cuz 1) I'd be all for Kait doing that and 2) maybe my understanding differs from yours.

(Ah.. wasn't trying to get you banned or anything. Just genuinely trying to understand what you meant and why you put it that way. Let me know in a message if you want to explain and it's not something you just wanna drop)

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like you are reason why franchises decay.

Seems drastic. I'm a huge shooter fan, been so since the first half of the 90's with the very first FPS games like Wolf 3D and Doom. Played a lot of third person action games and shooters throughout the years, and some of my favourite games of these past couple generations fall into this category (Max Payne, Alan Wake, WET, etc.). Gears Of War, to me, has always been a bit slow and clunky, even revving up the sensitivity it feels slow compared to the games I normally play. That would be fine, not every game needs to be a runner, see the aforementioned Alan Wake also being slow.

My biggest complaint of the franchise, so far, is how linear and predictably it's been. I don't mind a linear shooter, and in fact, I play through the Call Of Duty campaigns basically every year. But what disappointed me so far is how formulaic this linearity has been. Every time you enter a big room with multiple covers you just know enemies will be swarming in from 3 directions. Every little detour is the way towards a secret collectible. Every 5 minutes the paths separate conveniently for the team of 4 to end up 2 by 2. Every other room there's an area to defend because little robot needs to hack a door or something. Apart from the boss fights, every encounter in 1 was basically the same, so I'm happy 2 introduced some slightly different enemies already.

To me, the idea of opening up the game's formula a bit seems great, because it would defeat one of the game's weaknesses in my eyes. As far as I know, this may be fixed in the second half of 2, in 3, in Judgment, in 4. I have not played those yet. I will play those. I do not claim I know anything special about this franchise as before these runs I'm doing now I played a total of maybe 4 hours between the entire franchise, and even most of those were multiplayer. To me, Gears 5 sounds exciting, exciting enough to revisit a franchise I never cared about. So far, I see why I did not bother in the past, but I'm not hating it. There's a lot of things that work and many I dislike, but it's easily a solid 7 shooter so far thanks to some excellence here and there.

Honestly, regardless of what you think of this franchise, I wouldn't like it if a game got stuck on its own clichés and shortcomings some 14 years into the franchise. Halo Infinite will be nothing like Halo 1. Forza Horizon 4 is a whole other beast compared to the first Horizon. I'd rather see Gears 5 disappoint by trying to shake up the formula a little bit than doing the exact same thing as the first games. Those games exist and can be played greatly to this day thanks to excellent backwards compatibility on Xbox One. But in 2019 I sure as hell hope a Gears Of War game manages to shake up the formula.

Aug 26, 2018
When someone will clearly demonstrate why open space will fit gears I will rest, until then I will fight this nonsense.

Well, the Coalition thinks open levels/large areas are the way to go, lets see if it works out. I was making an observation, I personally don't mind linear/open-ended areas.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You know what's crazy? We're getting fewer leaks from all these major tech companies about the next major revision in gaming hardware than from the freaking White House/US Congress/UK Parliament (and lots of other places that make life and death decisions fairly regularly)... Interesting.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm pretty confident the Gears E3 presence will be excellent.

With both Gears 5 and Gear Tactics looking promising so far (and Gears Pop looking solid, too), the franchise will likely get a big boost this year.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
You know what's crazy? We're getting fewer leaks from all these major tech companies about the next major revision in gaming hardware than from the freaking White House/US Congress/UK Parliament (and lots of other places that make life and death decisions fairly regularly)... Interesting.
Corporations are more competent that the government? That's not anything new.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I'm pretty confident the Gears E3 presence will be excellent.

With both Gears 5 and Gear Tactics looking promising so far (and Gears Pop looking solid, too), the franchise will likely get a big boost this year.

I hope so, I'm more than ready for Gears being great again. At its best, very few games can compete.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I can't believe E3 is getting so close, its really exciting. MS has been milking their E3 spotlight for so long (I mean the road to E3 Inside Xbox feels so long ago now even lol) that it made the wait that much harder.

New Gears info, new Ninja Theory game, lets go!

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Always preferred Gears to Halo, but did enjoy Halo 5 MP, so getting info on both should be great. I'm particularly interested to see how gears evolves this time around. Gameplay changes etc. If they open up the areas somewhat and allow for some more wide-linear exploration and varied game play, I'd be down for that. The one thing that made 4 seem a little dated was the continuation of the "Walk a bit, see an open area with cover, have shoot-out, move to next area, repeat." format. Even get some light environmental puzzles in there to change the pace a bit. Sort of like a challenge tomb.

As someone that loves side scrollers as well, I can't wait to see Battletoads.

Should be a fun E3.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Anyone think the upcoming Streets of Rage 4 is a good indication as to what the new Battletoads will be like?

While it'll end up having a different art style and probably not on the same scope, i'm at least happy that Dlala went for hand-drawn 2D visuals. I'd love to see them adding a level editor as some sort of post-launch content or possibly in a Battletoads 2 :D

Also SoR4 looks great! Can't wait to see more of it hopefully soon :D

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
overruled-featured-1260x709.jpg

The art direction of Dlala's last game appears to be a pretty good fit for the Battletoads franchise. I would love to see something similar.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
SJW = Social Justice Warrior?
Give me some context, he was being anti feminism? I'm confused lol.
No, feminism is the mere fack of having Kait as the lead and kicking ass.
I guess he was against something like batwoman's trailer, you know, imagine Kait saying something like "Hey Marcus, you didnt kill the locust did you, you know why? Because you are a stupid white male hahaha"
But theres nothing that can lead us to think that The Coalition will do something like that, so, he was dumb for saying that, and the terminology he used was dumb aswell.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Their other game (Nothing To Fear) did get some positive previews last year. I think they're going to fully focus on Battletoads before moving on with NTF. Hoping that they can still deliver on a great experience with the support from Rare/XGP.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure that they had a great concept for Battletoads or presented something really compelling. Dlala had a deal in place for a game with Disney before they shut down all their game projects. My guess is that part of the vision for that game with Disney is being applied to Battletoads. You don't get Disney and Microsoft both to turn over one of their franchises to you without a compelling pitch and very clear indications that you can deliver.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that they had a great concept for Battletoads or presented something really compelling. Dlala had a deal in place for a game with Disney before they shut down all their game projects. My guess is that part of the vision for that game with Disney is being applied to Battletoads. You don't get Disney and Microsoft both to turn over one of their franchises to you without a compelling pitch and very clear indications that you can deliver.
It also helped that MS had a close relationship and knowledge of Dlala since they worked in the same incubation area as Lift London

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I only played the first game and its remaster, playing through the second. Not a fan of anything so far, really. It's an okay franchise, nothing special thus far. Having said that the trailers for Gears 5 look great, which is one of the main reasons I am pushing through these games even in the parts I'm not enjoying a lot. After seeing the 15th "let's split up in these two conveniently placed tight corridotrs" section I can't help but roll my eyes, so the more open design of 5 sounds refreshing to say the least.
Playing through old games rarely yields the same result as playing them when they're new. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of Halo is because I didn't play it until 2014, and by then the game design was so dated I had a hard time enjoying myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.