• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Maybe? I mean, it's quite a coincidence that Booty was eating pancakes with shapes that could be referencing those two studios specifically... but it could still be a coincidence.

Klob said we'll be going back to those pictures for the good or the bad, but who knows...

If anything, my theory is that they might have received a LOI, but acquisition deals are still not closed.

EDIT: AND we also got this

Don't get me wrong I've been fishing this theory for a while now. I am not an industry Insider nor do I pretend to be. I just like to follow the news and put pieces together there's a third company that I would want to say Microsoft is going to acquire but there's a lot less evidence for that one. As far as IO and stardock goes however I have been doing some homework and if you look at my history or just the last few thread posts there's a lot of ducks that lineup.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Just let the developers do whatever the hell they want, Fable is an old IP that needs a complete reboot with new and ambitious ideas.

That's fine, I just don't see the point of calling it Fable if it has no thematic or mechanical ties to the original Trilogy. Like let's just reboot Perfect Dark as a Gothic horror third person platformer with dating sim elements then?

I'm not trying to be a whiny, don't touch my IP, fan boy or anything, I wouldn't be that upset if the Playground did all new characters and a new world and completely threw out the original trilogy story wise, I literally only care about the tone and the player agency. I just don't see the point in making Fable without that. I can even take or leave the 'British humor' of it all, as long as it's got the same kind of whimsical with very dark edges vibe, I just don't want Fable to become a by the numbers open world RPG.

Let the devs do whatever they want, but if what they want isn't Fable, don't make them call it Fable.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I don't think Microsoft will acquire another studio this year. They already have more first-party studios than Nintendo, and plenty more IP than they know what to do with. If they're smart, they'll wait see if their heavy investing last year will bear fruit first, before jumping in for another round of spending.

Right now, all they should focusing on is funding and delivering content, whether it's through xCloud or their brand new console.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Playground being a great dev, being a great dev in the UK, and being a great dev with full MS backing now, makes me very content in the idea of them 'reimagining' Fable. I have complete faith they'll make a Fable for a new generation of gamers and make it well.

I don't think Microsoft will acquire another studio this year. They all ready have more first-party studios than Nintendo, and plenty more IP than they know what to do with. If they're smart, they'll wait see if their heavy investing last year will bear fruit first, before jumping in for another round of spending.

Right now, all they should focusing on is funding and delivering content, whether it's though xCloud or their brand new console.

As far as I'm concerned they aren't where they need to be for first party manpower, especially with bigger fish jumping in. I would say buy more early and often because the price is only going to go higher when these other tech companies start sniffing around. They did good getting 4 studios last year and sort of seeing which way the wind was blowing there. Better to not be in a bidding war with the likes of Google or Amazon and to get more content creators before those types have all their ducks in a row.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't think Microsoft will acquire another studio this year. They all ready have more first-party studios than Nintendo, and plenty more IP than they know what to do with. If they're smart, they'll wait see if their heavy investing last year will bear fruit first, before jumping in for another round of spending.

Right now, all they should focusing on is funding and delivering content, whether it's though xCloud or their brand new console.
Like every insider on here has hinted at them acquiring more studios this year.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Microsoft will acquire another studio this year. They already have more first-party studios than Nintendo, and plenty more IP than they know what to do with. If they're smart, they'll wait see if their heavy investing last year will bear fruit first, before jumping in for another round of spending.

Right now, all they should focusing on is funding and delivering content, whether it's through xCloud or their brand new console.
You need a constant delivery of content with xCloud, Game Pass, and Xbox, so buying more studios as they debut and expand their services is in their best interest. Especially as Google and Amazon are trying to compete in this space. MS is thinking big and for the long term and they've fully committed in completely investing in it to not only be a success but the market leader.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Stardock.

It is as plain as the pancakes on Matt Booty's plate..

NascarSlide.png

Doubt it, Otherwise he would of cut Saturn into his pancakes the obvious option is they got the rights for Captain America game hence creating his shield in pancakes.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
You need a constant delivery of content with xCloud, Game Pass, and Xbox, so buying more studios as they debut and expand their services is in their best interest. Especially as Google and Amazon are trying to compete in this space. MS is thinking big and for the long term and they've fully committed in completely investing in it to not only be a success but the market leader.

Agreed. Consoles Wars is pretty much over, there's much bigger competition, Microsoft is staying ahead of the game and buying IPs and Studios.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
IOI and 4A Games must be acquired if they want really well designed single player games

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I am more excited for Gears 5 than I have been for any Gears game since 2. But I'm a little conflicted now. I may want to wait a year and play the enhanced version on far more powerful hardware.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Sumo..Sumo..Sumo... Although it wasn't "critically acclaimed" Crackdown 3 was a game that "just works". No loading times, few to no major hiccups, fluid game play. As a developer Sumo Digital is very talented. They don't seem to have their own IP to pitch to a major publisher yet, but Microsoft likes using them on their projects. Could Sumo Digital be the next "Playground Games" ? Could Sumo take some of Microsoft's IP's and make them their own? Viva Pinata? Sudeki? Blinx?!

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
You can choose only 3 more studios.

Option A:

- Asobo Studio
- Relic Entertainment
- IO Interactive

Option B:

- Remedy Entertainment
- Dontnod Entertainment
- 4A Games

Option C:

- Larian Studios
- CyberConnect 2
- Klei Entertainment

Option D:

- Bluepoint Games
- Double Fine
- Iron Galaxy

Option E:

- The Farm 51
- Yager
- Piranha Games
You just had to make it hard. It would probably be Option C for me, but if I could have a total of 6 more studios out of all of these it would be these - Larian, Cyberconnect2, Bluepoint, Asobo, Relic and IO. The Farm 51, Yager, Dontnod, Remedy, and Yager are all good too of course, but those are my preferences.

The biggest thing with a lot of these studios, is for them to get the support and budget they need. Larian makes REALLY great games, but I hate seeing them limited to Kickstarter and I want them to be fully focused on making the greatest with what they have (they also have strategy and ARPG experience so expanding them with additional teams would be great). All of these studios can become industry leading if given the time and budget. 4A Games was my pick before, but I think they're doing well enough and can stay independent.

All of these options are really good, but for me it would be A, B, C, or E (Option D would be Bluepoint really). It's honestly hard to pick. Since I love RPGs so much, it would probably come down to Option C. Sure, Klei isn't an RPG dev, but CC2 and Larian is worth that much to me. Option A would be my second pick, with B next, then E and finally D. Though the thing with E is that each of those studios I can see having A LOT of potential.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Sumo..Sumo..Sumo... Although it wasn't "critically acclaimed" Crackdown 3 was a game that "just works". No loading times, few to no major hiccups, fluid game play. As a developer Sumo Digital is very talented. They don't seem to have their own IP to pitch to a major publisher yet, but Microsoft likes using them on their projects. Could Sumo Digital be the next "Playground Games" ? Could Sumo take some of Microsoft's IP's and make them their own? Viva Pinata? Sudeki? Blinx?!

I like what Sumo does, and I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated internal studio tied to Crackdown going forward, but Sumo may be a bit large. They've got what, five studios spread over two countries. Someone can probably correct me on that if I'm wrong. Point being they'd be a much larger acquisition than any of the current wave.

Then again that size could be the exact reason why they would acquire Sumo. It'd be a nice single stroke way of getting several talented teams. Potato potato.

I can dig this but they won't make Hitman and Metro anymore so either they'd need some of MS other IP's or make new ones

The obvious choice for IOI would be Perfect Dark, what would 4A handle though?

I think IOI owns the Hitman IP, and Freedom Fighters for what it's worth.

As for 4A, I dont think theyre really in the cards, but I guess if they were brought in to the fold, it'd be to work on new original IP. Which isn't out of the question, Ninja Theory and Compulsion are both almost certainly going to be working on new IP. I could also see 4A working on an open world survival game in the Gears universe, that could be neat.

Last edited:

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Also Sumo is like 500+ heads, that's a shit ton of people to add to payroll for minimum gain.

If they bought Sumo, IOI and 4A that's literally 1000 devs added.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Sumo is a fine dev but I see THQ getting them and not MS. Crackdown was just unfortunate.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS's management is the source of CD3's issues. Sumo is a great developer and anyone else would have done just as well.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I like what Sumo does, and I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated internal studio tied to Crackdown going forward, but Sumo may be a bit large. They've got what, five studios spread over two countries. Someone can probably correct me on that if I'm wrong. Point being they'd be a much larger acquisition than any of the current wave.

Then again that size could be the exact reason why they would acquire Sumo. It'd be a nice single stroke way of getting several talented teams. Potato potato.

They are at the upper bounds of what Matt Booty said as far as size, but they wold be so great at supporting other studios the way they do now. I know it is not my money but I would grab them before someone else does.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I don't want to talk badly on a dev but what has sumo made to garner all this attention of their last 10 games how many had a meta over70 how bout 80 how many over 90?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to talk badly on a dev but what has sumo made to garner all this attention of their last 10 games how many had a meta over70 how bout 80 how many over 90?

You say that like Microsoft didn't just buy inXile, Undead Labs and Compulsion. None of their output has been really groundbreaking or even critically well received but Spencer saw something in them to want to bring them in to do bigger/more titles exclusively for the Xbox brand.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018

If you don't count Crackdown 3 (which in my opinion is in the 70s) 9 out of 10 over 70. They helped with Forzas, and Little Big Planets, and last I checked those games rated pretty good.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yall do realize that Sumo is like 5 studios...they are huge. I doubt MS is acquiring them.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Yall do realize that Sumo is like 5 studios...they are huge. I doubt MS is acquiring them.

In the last 7 years Sumo Digital has collaborated with Microsoft on 7 different titles. I don't want them to combine their studios to make one new AAA IP, but use their multiple studios to support existing XGS or have a studio or two go for their own AA IP.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

No way. If anything, I think with Google entering the race, and Apple showing renewed emphasis on gaming, we're going to see an even greater investment in Xbox from MS going forward. What better vindication to the higher-ups at MS than so many tech giants entering the gaming sphere?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
remedy would be an absolute bonkers, instantly top tier first party studio. any wishlist of acquisitions that has them is an easy pick.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I can dig this but they won't make Hitman and Metro anymore so either they'd need some of MS other IP's or make new ones

The obvious choice for IOI would be Perfect Dark, what would 4A handle though?

The thought of IO Interactive giving up Hitman to work on Perfect Dark is too painful for me to think about. Hitman is a venerable, if niche, franchise that is somehow getting better over time (Absolution being an anomaly). I'm a constant proponent of studios making new IPs, but Hitman is one of the few I hope never goes away. It's been almost 20 years now, and still no one does stealth like IO Interactive.

I'd rather they stayed independent and making Hitman games with Warner Bros than not making them with Microsoft.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
No way. If anything, I think with Google entering the race, and Apple showing renewed emphasis on gaming, we're going to see an even greater investment in Xbox from MS going forward. What better vindication to the higher-ups at MS than so many tech giants entering the gaming sphere?
MS has tried forever to be more trendy or hip or zeitgeisty or whatever, and Xbox is the one area they've had some success. They don't have AirPods or "googling" in their column. I agree that this is a place they'd be tempted to put their balls on the table.

Though when it comes down to it, dollars still rule all, especially the higher up the food chain you go. But MS CEO Satya Nadella has been very public about his support of the Xbox division. They still see Xbox as the gateway drug into the larger MS sphere, pushing broader apps and services.

It works. Their giving me free Xbox currency got me using bing at least half the time. I tend to buy my movies and stuff through them because I see the sales and since I'm in their store anyway. Without Xbox I'd surely be buying more through Apple or amazon or google play instead.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
MS has tried forever to be more trendy or hip or zeitgeisty or whatever, and Xbox is the one area they've had some success. They don't have AirPods or "googling" in their column. I agree that this is a place they'd be tempted to put their balls on the table.

Though when it comes down to it, dollars still rule all, especially the higher up the food chain you go. But MS CEO Satya Nadella has been very public about his support of the Xbox division. They still see Xbox as the gateway drug into the larger MS sphere, pushing broader apps and services.

It works. Their giving me free Xbox currency got me using bing at least half the time. I tend to buy my movies and stuff through them because I see the sales and since I'm in their store anyway. Without Xbox I'd surely be buying more through Apple or amazon or google play instead.
Great post and I wholeheartedly agree.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
You say that like Microsoft didn't just buy inXile, Undead Labs and Compulsion. None of their output has been really groundbreaking or even critically well received but Spencer saw something in them to want to bring them in to do bigger/more titles exclusively for the Xbox brand.

InXile has a rich history of talent. Tides of Numera, and Wasteland 2 are very good games with some of the best writing in video games. Not sure what your comment is trying to say about them.

Undead Labs have been successful with state of decay, though the franchise lacks polish.

Compulsion makes creative worlds, with rich stories and unique artstyles. The purchase is about potential.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You say that like Microsoft didn't just buy inXile

inXile put out 2 81+ games this gen so I'm not sure where you got the idea that they aren't a high quality developer. I guarantee you that Wasteland 3 is also going to be a solid 80+ game putting them at 3 80+ games this gen

Most developers could only dream of putting out that many quality games in the course of 5-6 years, and on kickstarters with limited budgets and resources none the less.

InXile was one of MS smarter purchases. Literally the only acquisition that I'm against and that I feel was a waste is Compulsion but they were most likely bought for dirt cheap.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding IOI, we have:

- Klob saying its acquisition was being considered a few months ago.
- Booty eating pancakes with the shape of IOI's logo.
- Microsoft Dev Blog post about DX12 with IOI as one of the devs/partners using the feature.
- Microsoft Denmark's article/interview with someone from IOI.

You could read a lot into it or not.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Regarding IOI, we have:

- Klob saying its acquisition was being considered a few months ago.
- Booty eating pancakes with the shape of IOI's logo.
- Microsoft Dev Blog post about DX12 with IOI as one of the devs/partners using the feature.
- Microsoft Denmark's article/interview with someone from IOI.

You could read a lot into it or not.

It's happening.

Actually think MS snag the Hitman IP as well

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
IOI are in my list of studios who would really make Xbox a rival to Nintendo and Sony.

World class level design.
Experience in creating amazing characters

Just a world class acquisition

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just have Microsoft buy Sony and Nintendo. Half the users of the website would be posting in our thread. Wouldn't that be great.

probably not

Status
Not open for further replies.