• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Me and my buddy Klobrille was just discussing a possible Acquisition the other day. So was it confirmed Klobrille, c'mon you can tell me..

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree. About the publisher part, I don't think that's necessary because Google isn't gonna take it there.

Says who? You don't know what Google will do to get in this market. What about Amazon? Should MS and Sony (for that matter) wait until the others act? Heck no, that's how you end up missing the boat. I don't think MS is going to miss the boat this time. They may start the boat!

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Says who? You don't know what Google will do to get in this market. What about Amazon? Should MS and Sony (for that matter) wait until the others act? Heck no, that's how you end up missing the boat. I don't think MS is going to miss the boat this time. They may start the boat!
Remember when Google bought Motorola in 2012 literally for patents then sold them off 2 years later? That's what buying a publisher would be. Stadia is a streaming platform you don't really need a publishing arm you need IP and I think that they know the Motorola thing was stupid. I don't see google buying a publisher when moneyhatying works just as well. I don't see MS buying a publisher either. IMO it's just doesn't fit.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
By acquiring Zenimax MS get the talent to compete in multiple genres where they are currently lacking.

And like I said Stadia is real, and has Googles resources behind it

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
By acquiring Zenimax MS get the talent to compete in multiple genres where they are currently lacking.

And like I said Stadia is real, and has Googles resources behind it

Aside from Zenimax online what doesn't MS already have an answer for that Zenimax could offer? Bethesda? Obsidian. MachineGames? 343. Arkane? Compulsion. Rare can make anything, and Ninja Theory again can be broad in what they do.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
hmm didn't see this mentioned from the xcloud session:

They're focusing on making Xbox One games available first but also used an example of high end PC games streaming to a less powerful PC.
not surprising I guess that they might do that but first I have seen them talk about streaming games that are not on xbox one.

Temporary saves can be implemented so users don't lose progress when dropping connection but those saves can be deleted upon reconnect to avoid altering difficulty
also looks like a more mobile friendly save system.

Last edited:

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Aside from Zenimax online what doesn't MS already have an answer for that Zenimax could offer? Bethesda? Obsidian. MachineGames? 343. Arkane? Compulsion. Rare can make anything, and Ninja Theory again can be broad in what they do.

They have studios who have created iconic characters and worlds, which MS are lacking.

Nothing wrong with adding more world class devs either, and the studios at Zenimax are exactly that

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They have studios who have created iconic characters and worlds, which MS are lacking.

Nothing wrong with adding more world class devs either, and the studios at Zenimax are exactly that

So it's IP. Again it's fine to want established IP. But that alone doesn't make it a good purchase. MS doesn't need to do it. The other purchases were necessary to fill out the portfolio, plus helping awesome devs stay in the fight. Zenimax is gonna be fine, probably even better if they are left alone.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
So it's IP. Again it's fine to want established IP. But that alone doesn't make it a good purchase. MS doesn't need to do it. The other purchases were necessary to fill out the portfolio, plus helping awesome devs stay in the fight. Zenimax is gonna be fine, probably even better if they are left alone.

Not just the IP which is worth its own weight in gold but they get the studios who have experience in launching new IP and having huge success.

Like I said if MS hesitate Google or someone else will just do it and see huge rewards

Putfire

May 12, 2018
I think it has better options than Zenimax, it would be very expensive and I do not see IPs so strong as to compensate for this value. You can buy several good studios for less. Take Two, Capcom, Sega are Publishers that would cost less and give you more valuable IPs.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has better options than Zenimax, it would be very expensive and I do not see IPs so strong as to compensate for this value. You can buy several good studios for less. Take Two, Capcom, Sega are Publishers that would cost less and give you more valuable IPs.

though in one swoop microsoft would become the top FPS and RPG developer on the planet.

Oct 25, 2017
pls stop wishing for publishers to be acquired

pls pls pls

are you actually comparing compulsion to arkane? they made one pseudo immersive sim with awful level design and structure and you are comparing them to the guys who made PREY?

lol

i'm pretty sure take two is way more valuable than zenimax in the stock market and also in what would equate to pure cash (for buying and etc)

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
MS won't bu Zenimax. The only reason it could happen: Zenimax is a private Company and that would make a purchase way easier than Take Two, EA or so on. But it would be way too expensive. And yeah, I don't think that Klobrille tried to hint to Todd Howard. And if his reference was the lies, how about Hello Games?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
MS won't bu Zenimax. The only reason it could happen: Zenimax is a private Company and that would make a purchase way easier than Take Two, EA or so on. But it would be way too expensive. And yeah, I don't think that Klobrille tried to hint to Todd Howard. And if his reference was the lies, how about Hello Games?

Zenimax isn't going to be too expensive, tbh. $4-5 billion would be more than enough to buy them in my mind. Maybe even less.

Yeah, you'll say $5 billion is a lot. But Microsoft is sitting on $150 billion. $5 billion isn't very much to them.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be quite something for MS to say "you know that game that Google launched Stadia with? Yeah, we own that".

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm 1000% sure that Klobrille is not trying to get you to think about developers associated with lying. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest we should probably stop associating any devs, including Hello (or Bethesda or Peter Molynieux), with "lying". It's just not a very helpful label.

I also don't think buying publishers is the way to go. A platform holder taking too much control of the industry is inherently threatening to third party partners. Aggressively moving on other players in the space would be a huge red flag. It's a bad look, and I don't want MS to go down that route. Will Google try? Maybe, I doubt it. But even if they do - that doesn't mean it's open season on publishers. MS wants to be a safe haven for developers and publishers and partners of all types. That's what they're doing for Amazon's competitors with cloud services. That's what they are doing with crossplay and dev tools and such in the gaming space now.

Why jeopardize all of that for a few more IPs and a few hundred more employees?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 1000% sure that Klobrille is not trying to get you to think about developers associated with lying. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest we should probably stop associating any devs, including Hello (or Bethesda or Peter Molynieux), with "lying". It's just not a very helpful label.

I also don't think buying publishers is the way to go. A platform holder taking too much control of the industry is inherently threatening to third party partners. Aggressively moving on other players in the space would be a huge red flag. It's a bad look, and I don't want MS to go down that route. Will Google try? Maybe, I doubt it. But even if they do - that doesn't mean it's open season on publishers. MS wants to be a safe haven for developers and publishers and partners of all types. That's what they're doing for Amazon's competitors with cloud services. That's what they are doing with crossplay and dev tools and such in the gaming space now.

Why jeopardize all of that for a few more IPs and a few hundred more employees?

They wouldn't be jeopardizing shit. There's been many rumours out there that the investment firms have been looking at selling zenimax. They are one case where if they're looking into it, you make sure your name is in the hat. MS cannot just sit by and let someone like Google take the first step because all that will do is allow their foot in the door. The end game for video games will be a lot like the movie industry as they consolidated.

Dec 11, 2017
Microsoft spent $26 billion on LinkedIn. What's stopping them buying a big publisher? I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even half of that to nab someone with a solid amount of giant franchises.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
And Bethesda have their own E3 press conference this year. They announced that last week. If they are on the way to become part of MS why they will have separate show? It's not happening, people need to move from this idea.

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
I was just wondering... what if Microsoft announced some king of deal with Steam on E3? After Halo: MCC on PC and Steam and the deals Epic Games has been making, it's not such a madness thinking about it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering... what if Microsoft announced some king of deal with Steam on E3? After Halo: MCC on PC and Steam and the deals Epic Games has been making, it's not such a madness thinking about it.
I doubt there would be any kind of formal deal but I do see Microsoft going with a more store agnostic approach on PC. Putting their games everywhere with xbox live hooks. Wouldn't be surprised to see all of their game services spread out. Like what if Game Pass had a catalog from multiple stores? (That would probably have to be a partnership I guess).

But......wild idea here, what if they did something similar on their console platform. If cloud streaming takes off, that means there is another revenue source in the traditional console space. Sooo what if Microsoft opened up their console to other digital stores provided that they use Azure as their cloud streaming platform. I have been thinking that way ever since they announced that hololens would be an open platform. Now granted, AR is the future of computing and a much bigger market, and they need dev support unlike in gaming but if Windows PCs are an open platform, AR and VR are open platforms, why not consoles as well? Especially when a lot of the consoles played will just be a box in the cloud. (ok technically it wouldn't be truly open like a pc, since Microsoft would tie you to Azure streaming as opposed to another provider, but more open).

Anyway, just a thought. Microsoft probably isn't that nice and would only do that if the market forced them to do it.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
It doesn't make sense for a well established platform to buy a publisher. People suggesting Bethesda are not thinking things through.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Maaaan I really want to see more from Gears 5. The bigger team as well as three full years of dev time should be really healthy for the title. I expect The Coalition to blow people away.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think MS would buy all of Zenimax. They could buy some studios from them that arent performing well enough.

I can see Google doing it though. Google isnt much of a publisher right now. I can see them buying a publisher and merging them with whatever they have currently. Thats if they are serious about Stadia. I dread Google buying a publisher. It could turn into a bidding war. And lets be honest, Zenimax would be better off in MS's hands than Googles. >.>

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Maaaan I really want to see more from Gears 5. The bigger team as well as three full years of dev time should be really healthy for the title. I expect The Coalition to blow people away.

Yeah, i'm craving for some more Gears news as well. I think they'll really start pushing it after the E3 showing similar to how FH4's style of marketing went. 2019's really going to be an amazing year for action games.

TiredImpoliteKestrel-size_restricted.gif

ThatGuyJangle

Flashbulb Games
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the plug, but it may be of some interest to folk in here!

Trailmakers (previously Project Karoo!) is out TODAY on Xbox Game Preview!

Should be on the store around 16:00 GMT, with it being Game Preview there's also a trial available to check out. If you enjoyed Nuts 'n Bolts, you may well enjoy it!

We're also doing an AMA on the Xbox One Reddit if anyone wants to ask anything regarding the game, game dev, the Press Play days etc.

New Launch Trailer.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sorry for the plug, but it may be of some interest to folk in here!

Trailmakers (previously Project Karoo!) is out TODAY on Xbox Game Preview!

Should be on the store around 16:00 GMT, with it being Game Preview there's also a trial available to check out. If you enjoyed Nuts 'n Bolts, you may well enjoy it!

We're also doing an AMA on the Xbox One Reddit if anyone wants to ask anything regarding the game, game dev, the Press Play days etc.

New Launch Trailer.

Looks like fun! I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.