• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
We will see. It is difficult to exactly predict today how they will differentiate as - in the end - this also will kinda be up to the individual devs.

I don't think people are having trouble with the main differentiation
  • Lockhart: best-value, low price
  • Anaconda: best performance, higher price
For both targets - best price AND best performance - Microsoft aims to have the best answers available on the whole market.

That's how PC gaming and buying a better graphics cards ever worked. But even looking at that sector, the most logical way to reduce GPU power needed is: resolution. Microsoft is advising devs for years already to use dynamic resolutions in their games.

The Xbox One X is a "last-gen" console the moment next-gen arrives. I can see it being forward-compabilty supported with xCloud though - but other than that, a new gen is a new gen.

agree

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
X plays Xbox One games in 4K. Graphics are more than just resolution and FPS, next-gen games will evolve in every other technical area, too.

I just can't imagine that Lockhart - a console designed to be best-priced on the market, can play 4K at 60fps. It would kinda go against its main intention and its primary reason why this console even exists, hence why I made a suggestion earlier that I think Lockhart might be a 1080p/60fps console (with optional Anaconda version xCloud streaming). This would explain the big GPU difference while the CPU could stay the same minus a lower clock speed.

Lockhart is not designed to anyone on this forum.
Ya Albert Penello said that a value 1080p next gen console could happen, and makes sense for the market. He said that in the next gen thread around 2 weeks ago.

I agee with him. The X attempts to bring Xbox one games to 4K resolution. Lockhart would bring 4K Scarlett games down to 1080p. That's why Lockhart only needs to be 4tf if andaconda is 12tf.
Yes Lockhart could have a weaker gpu than the X but It will have better ram and 4-5x better cpu.the x can't play next gen games because it has a cpu that was garbage 6 years ago in it.
249-299$ 4tf, 3.0ghz zen2 12gbgddr6
499$ 12tf 3.2ghz zen2, 16 gbgddr6
Lockhart would play the same games at a lower resolution. And average joe playing madden or COD doesn't know what's in his box so they won't care if it has a weaker gpu than the X. Average joe never owned an X anyway.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

The idea of RPG elements is cool. I'm expecting maybe some lite crafting or gear upgrades, maybe like upgrading a squad of marines that travels with you. The way Halo 5 ended there are some cool opportunities to make a slightly dirtier Halo game with a little more room for things like that.

I can't think of a good way to work in talent trees or leveling, but then again I'm not a designer at 343.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Ya Albert Penello said that a value 1080p next gen console could happen, and makes sense for the market. He said that in the next gen thread around 2 weeks ago.

I agee with him. The X attempts to bring Xbox one games to 4K resolution. Lockhart would bring 4K Scarlett games down to 1080p. That's why Lockhart only needs to be 4tf if andaconda is 12tf.
Yes Lockhart could have a weaker gpu than the X but It will have better ram and 4-5x better cpu.the x can't play next gen games because it has a cpu that was garbage 6 years ago in it.
249-299$ 4tf, 3.0ghz zen2 12gbgddr6
499$ 12tf 3.2ghz zen2, 16 gbgddr6
Lockhart would play the same games at a lower resolution. And average joe playing madden or COD doesn't know what's in his box so they won't care if it has a weaker gpu than the X. Average joe never owned an X anyway.

But there is more to graphics then resolution as well, other graphical detail which wouldn't be inclued on the Lockhart. Xbox One X has super sampling, that is the route they should be going in, doesn't matter if you don't have a 4K tv you are still going to see improvements.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
But there is more to graphics then resolution as well, other graphical detail which wouldn't be inclued on the Lockhart. Xbox One X has super sampling, that is the route they should be going in, doesn't matter if you don't have a 4K tv you are still going to see improvements.
Yes there's more to it that's why i didn't say 3tf Lockhart. The extra tf should be able to handle most of the other requirements.
If they want to get in the 249-299 sweet spot at launch they will do what I'm saying. They won't be able to make a 8tf console and sell it under 349$.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha. So true. My only complaint is that I have had less exclusives interest me to where I wanted to play them compared to Xbox 360. Going into next gen, im just hoping that more games appeal to me enough to where im interested in playing them.
You will have less exclusives going forward.
Even Switch might get the games.

But they are still MS games.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Listener to the Brad video. With what Phil said at E3 about forward capability, not backwards which left me confused at the time with the wording, and with Brad saying they are trying to add that one to the xbox one so MS will have an infinitely larger install base at launch, makes me think of MS consoles as cell phones/steam boxes.

I can see no more real next gen launches for MS after scarlet and just refreshes every 3 to 4 years, and after 3 refreshes make the oldest version of xbox incompatible like I see with apple mobile games and older iPads.

It's not a bad strategy as long as games are available on the "year 9" model. I can see the next refresh drop in 3 years and the xbox s would be incompatible and leave the x, lock hart, anaconda, and the refresh as the models to play games. Again following same pattern in 6 years dropping the x and leaving the others.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You will have less exclusives going forward.
Even Switch might get the games.

But they are still MS games.

Yeah, maybe but since I don't play on PC, I don't count Xbox One exclusives going on PC as no longer being exclusive. For me, they still are. For Switch, I own it but I wouldn't play say Gears 5 or Halo Infinite on it. If Switch gets Xbox One games, until proven otherwise, I believe that they will be the smaller 2D platformers. So for me, the exclusives would still be exclusives.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Just reading the name In Amber Clad makes me wanna listen to every Halo OST for the whole night.

If 343 wants Halo Infinite to be good, they better bring Marty home. Halo is not the same without him.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

brad has got to be wrong about lockheart being 4k/60fps. just no way.

also, this is the first i've heard that MS's goals are to match ps5 with power with anaconda and offer a lower end model with lockheart. most speculation is that MS would offer both the low end (@299) and high end (@499) for the gen with ps5 sitting roughly inbetween (@399). begs the question, if he is indeed right, would both anaconda and ps5 target the 399 or the 499 point?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe but since I don't play on PC, I don't count Xbox One exclusives going on PC as no longer being exclusive. For me, they still are. For Switch, I own it but I wouldn't play say Gears 5 or Halo Infinite on it. If Switch gets Xbox One games, until proven otherwise, I believe that they will be the smaller 2D platformers. So for me, the exclusives would still be exclusives.
Good Point :-)

BeholdDeath12

Mar 4, 2019
Hey everyone! :) I too have been following this thread for a while and decided to get in on it. All of yous are awesome :) Awesome conversations!

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And to be even more honest, while I can understand playing games on PC due to the higher specs but why would anyone want to play a Gears 5 or Halo Infinite on a Switch? Yay...720p...woohoo!!! LMAO.

Joking aside, just hoping for more exclusives that I want to play next gen than I have had this gen which to be honest, should be very easy to do since as of now, it's only three games.

Mar 4, 2019

also, this is the first i've heard that MS's goals are to match ps5 with power with anaconda and offer a lower end model with lockheart. most speculation is that MS would offer both the low end (@299) and high end (@499) for the gen with ps5 sitting roughly inbetween (@399). begs the question, if he is indeed right, would both anaconda and ps5 target the 399 or the 499 point?
In regards to Lockhart, I think he forgot to mention the graphics complexity in order to achieve that 4K/60fps target he was referring to. But, I think Brad has been wrong on several occasions before.

Feb 15, 2019
For the whole next gen console aiming for 4k/60 argument/discussion I think it might be a while before 60 FPS is the standard of all games, not because the consoles can't handle 60 FPS, but because developers tend to prioritize resolution and graphics because that's easier to sell, and it's a lot easier for the average consumer to notice "this game looks amazing" rather than "this game runs very smoothly". The graphics will be better, and maybe even things like physics or AI will be much improved before 60 FPS becomes the minimum standard imo. So I'm not saying it won't be powerful enough to run current games at 4k/60, but rather that saying "aiming for 4k/60" isn't something Microsoft can actually do, outside of maybe some requirement for 1st party devs, but even then that would be unlikely. Game developers will do what they want with the extra power

Also as for the next gen potentially not having a blu ray player, I hope not, even as an almost exclusively digital buyer, the price difference would be, what, $50 or so, pretty much negligible when extrapolated over the entire 5-8 year gen, and for those minimal savings you now have no ability to play any disc games ever. Even if you never buy physical games anymore odds are you have at least some physical games from earlier in the gen, or from the 360 that are backwards compatible, or maybe you get a game as a gift, or a friend comes over with a game of theirs or whatever.. So unless they have some physical to digital conversion service at Microsoft stores or something I don't know if it would actually make sense.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

He was speculating on what it would be as he hopes anaconda will be targeting 4k60.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Well that assumes someone is planning to actually do something like this.

But if someone WERE planning to do this, I think the question is how much does it cost? If it's cheap enough, 1080p may not matter if it plays the newest games.
Penello
To this forum? No way. LOL.

That said, I think 1080p is totally a viable target resolution in 2020. TV manufacturers will probably stop shipping 1080p sets in the next few years except for the very smallest sizes.

I don't generally like this "Screen size vs. Viewing Distance" argument for the most part, but I do believe it's true that if you look at where the mass market is buying sets (usually between 42in - 50in), these non-HDR 4K sets make it pretty tough to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p at any sort of reasonable room size. So a very well designed 1080p game, with all the lighting and post-processing turned to 11, may look pretty damn good.

The hard part is actually explaining all that to someone with the required nuance.

Albert Penello making too much sense. Also like he said if it's a 1080 console it has to be quite a bit cheaper than ps5. Imagine a 249$ Lockhart going up against a 399 ps5. Or a 299$ Lockhart against a 499$ ps5. Like brad sams also just said Lockhart is aiming to be a lot cheaper than the ps5, which to me means more than 100$.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I still don't see MS giving up a middle ground "sweet spot" console at $400 to Sony alone. I think MS is dead set at having the power advantage at all costs and will price their high end box at PS5 price no matter how much they lose on consoles at first. Subsidize through Gamepass.

Also, I still believe the One X will be forward compatible.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
MS will release more regular hardware, I just think they cater to every type of buyer be it high end, mid end and low

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
What are y'alls favorite games on game pass? I signed up for the deal they had back in February to play Crackdown, and through a series of events I've ended up with 4 months for 2 dollars.

I've played most of the first party games on there already, plus Hellblade. I'm currently playing through We Happy Few right now and despite its numerous technical and design flaws loving it, but there's still 3 months to kill after I finish that.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
What are y'alls favorite games on game pass? I signed up for the deal they had back in February to play Crackdown, and through a series of events I've ended up with 4 months for 2 dollars.

I've played most of the first party games on there already, plus Hellblade. I'm currently playing through We Happy Few right now and despite its numerous technical and design flaws loving it, but there's still 3 months to kill after I finish that.

Ashen and Mutant Year Zero. Ashen is not just a good game pass game, but one of the best rpg games this generation.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I still don't see MS giving up a middle ground "sweet spot" console at $400 to Sony alone. I think MS is dead set at having the power advantage at all costs and will price their high end box at PS5 price no matter how much they lose on consoles at first. Subsidize through Gamepass.

Also, I still believe the One X will be forward compatible.

Not a fat chance. The x will stay forward compatible as long as the Og and not a minute longer.

Jun 22, 2018

Metro 1 and 2.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

I just have a PC, so I've got limited options. Forza Horizon 4, ReCore, and Halo Wars DE have been my favorites. The first two games I never expected to like.

Still haven't tried Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, We Happy Few, or State of Decay 2.

ReCore is the biggest surprise. There's a lot more depth to the combat systems than I expected, and the platforming is fun. Some metroidvania (what a shit term that is) design present, which is good. The challenge runs are pretty cool. Only critique is the poor performance I've had (aka easily the worst running game on my PC amd its not graphically impressive) and the story/voice acting feels a bit cheap. Overall, I hope this is something Microsoft takes another look at. The foundation is there for a unique franchise.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

The single greatest game on Game Pass is Mass Effect. Given the game is 12 years old, you've either played it already or have no interest in it (which I find personally offensive). In which case Cities Skylines is a game I've been addicted to for far too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.