• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You people are missing my point and arguing against a non existant "microsoft will make zero money!!!" when the argument is "microsoft will make less money while nintendo will get money for basically zero effort so i'm failing to see how this is better for microsoft"

I'm already paying for live and gamepass after buying xbox hardware. Even bought some games despite being ashamed to admit! Microsoft got a good deal of money from me already. But i also have a switch. Comes next gen and this so called partnership happens, what incentive would i have to buy a scarlett? Stronger hardware? Meaningless if i can stream the games to my switch anyway. At most i would keep my gamepass sub. I wouldnt pay for live if switch was my main console, just like i dont pay for switch online now when xbox is my main one (despite being way cheaper). I would get all xbox exclusives through GP and the eventual AAA multiplat (which probably would have a split for nintendo as well), other than that i would just buy everything on the console i use. Crossplay is in a good situation for nintendo - pc - microsoft so i wouldnt have to worry about "leaving friends" behind either (if i cared for onine gaming to begin with but for the sake of argumentation lets pretend i do).

So yeah, i would go from a hardware buying multi service subscriber client mainly on the xbox ecosystem to a single service subscriber mainly on a competitor ecosystem occasionally using live. I know microsoft wants my money one way or the other. What i'm arguing is that i doubt they want less money than i'm giving them right now. Which would totally happen.

I'm not using any of these features and most of the people i know don't either. Remember that most of the world is poorer and or less new tech savvy than the first world countries you people live in.

MS doesn't NEED to sell you hardware in order to make money off of you. The need to sell Hardware is a costly barrier between them and the gamers they want to reach.

Imagine how much more software and services they would sell if they could potentially sell to every gamer needing to first convince them to buy a Scarlet.

There's no way this scenario would net them less money. Not only would their margins be higher, but their volumes would be too!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
On Inside Xbox, Matt Booty mentioned all studio heads are in Redmond this week.

This co-ordination being pushed by Booty inspires a lot of confidence in their future output. I don't think we will be seeing large gaps in quality between Xbox exclusives going forward.

What excites me the most is what this means for a studio like inXile or Undead Labs (for example, being a lowest denominator in many minds and discussions) when they have access to Ninja's motion tech, or 343/Coalition's engineering expertise.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
MS doesn't NEED to sell you hardware in order to make money off of you. The need to sell Hardware is a costly barrier between them and the gamers they want to reach.

Imagine how much more software and services they would sell if they could potentially sell to every gamer needing to first convince them to buy a Scarlet.

There's no way this scenario would net them less money. Not only would their margins be higher, but their volumes would be too!
I think they get it lol

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love that all the studios have a big meet up and every studio is a couple of people.
I mean as a Compulsion dev it would be a awesome thing to have met a Coalition dev and have that direct line now.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm excited to see 343i's new tech. The SlipSpace engine looks amazing from the natural scenes they've shown

And I don't know if we're prepared to see FH5 in japan on next gen hardware

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This co-ordination being pushed by Booty inspires a lot of confidence in their future output. I don't think we will be seeing large gaps in quality between Xbox exclusives going forward.

What excites me the most is what this means for a studio like inXile or Undead Labs (for example, being a lowest denominator in many minds and discussions) when they have access to Ninja's motion tech, or 343/Coalition's engineering expertise.

Yep. I think office cross collaboration is huge even if it's just engineers working on best practices for things like UE4, Xbox Live integration, Azure use, etc. It should hopefully promote games to really set a quality standard like you mentioned.

I can imagine the Forza guys asking everyone who is going to need car tech to a room of silence lol.

To be fair, everyone will likely be picking the brains of the Forza engine team in regards to ray tracing because I have a feeling they're going to be leading the way with RT implementation.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I think office cross collaboration is huge even if it's just engineers working on best practices for things like UE4, Xbox Live integration, Azure use, etc. It should hopefully promote games to really set a quality standard like you mentioned.

To be fair, everyone will likely be picking the brains of the Forza engine team in regards to ray tracing because I have a feeling they're going to be leading the way with RT implementation.

Yeah was just kidding. Bought Forza 7 in the latest sale and oh my god it looks great! Can't wait to see a next gen Forza.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I'm really eager to hear the future plans of the Global Publishing team and what they'll offer for the upcoming years. They could definitely "fill in the gaps" and offer that excitement for new IPs, traditional sequels to existing IPs and rebooting IPs. This gen wasn't the best example for them with most of their titles underperforming critically or commercially, but there are definitely some stand-out titles like Ori and Killer Instinct which despite its launch reception managed to get up to 10 million players across pc and Xbox.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Our 13 game development studios focus on delivering great games for everyone, wherever they play—on console, PC, or mobile devices. We're responsible for developing and publishing some of the biggest game franchises in history: Age of Empires, Forza, Gears of War, Halo, Minecraft, Microsoft Solitaire, Microsoft Flight Simulator, State of Decay, and many more. We believe that play is the thing that unites everyone, because when everyone plays, we all win.

Good to see AoE there. But yeah then Microsoft Solitaire, Microsoft Flight Simulator haha.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

What I do wonder though... is it that easy for them to do???

do we know if any of the original XGS have shared tech n the pass?? Rare/343i/Coalition/Turn10 ect...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
getting all the studio heads together with Xbox etc has to be about Scarlett right?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Matt Booty gathering all the heads for the 13 studios to share technology ideas etc. made me imagine this:
iipsrv.fcgi

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Am I right in thinking Turn 10 used the Water tech from Sea of Thieves
I believe it was Playground that used the water tech first in FH3

I think all the studio brass are meeting in Redmond either for a briefing on Scarlett or E3 - or both.

definitely both, i imagine it'll be a pretty comprehensive overview of the 12 months, with E3 being the main focus, remember Phil mentioning the other day about sitting down and seeing what's ready to show for E3 and what they can show off at a later date.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If Microsoft is like every other corporation its most likely a meeting to figure when to schedule the next meeting.
Indeed they'll all be getting together and they'll say the right things, about how they'll share this and that and work together etc, and they'll enjoy the team building sessions and the corporate entertainment. But then they'll all get back to their desks next Monday morning and forget any of it ever happened and carry on as usual.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Matt Booty: Gentlemen, we have brought all of you here to unveil our latest piece of advanced technology, that we all hope you'll take complete advantage of: The Kinect 3!

Joe Neate and Craig Duncan shout and cry tears of pure joy and excitement.

The rest of the studio heads: ... Seriously?

Matt: Nah, just kidding, more details on project Scarlet

Joe and Craig: Oh... Yeah, of course. Kinect, psh, who would ever like that piece of junk, amirite?... :(

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
So with Crackdown 3 featuring that cloud-powered tech, what IP/franchise do you folks think they'll bring that tech to?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
So with Crackdown 3 featuring that cloud-powered tech, what IP/franchise do you folks think they'll bring that tech to?
Mercenaries!!!!!!!

Oh, you probably mean MS IP. Gears could use that tech very well, especially in campaign and horde modes. Halo could benefit, and Obsidian might find some neat uses for it. Mechassault, Forza: Twisted Paradise, and Crimson Skies would suit it nicely.

Razdek

Oct 27, 2017
If xCloud came to Switch I'd end up playing more Xbox's games *shrug*

This is a very good reason why Nintendo wouldn't want it on Switch as it would take attention from their ecosystem. It's not just the games but the community.

Of course they could always come out with their own Xcloud handheld instead of hoping and praying for Nintendo to let them onto the Switch but people here saying they shouldn't.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very good reason why Nintendo wouldn't want it on Switch as it would take attention from their ecosystem. It's not just the games but the community.

Of course they could always come out with their own Xcloud handheld instead of hoping and praying for Nintendo to let them onto the Switch but people here saying they shouldn't.

Yeah, but I'd also buy a Switch and probably buy their software. So both MS and Nintendo would get more out of me.

Razdek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but I'd also buy a Switch and probably buy their software. So both MS and Nintendo would get more out of me.

Or they can just wait for your to buy a Switch without the need of Xbox anything on it and keep it exactly the same right now. They don't need Xcloud to sell their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.