• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I think Obsidian's new game is going to be XSX exclusive since I expect that will be launching sometimes after 2021 given how long AAA RPGs take to make. Perhaps Fable as well.

I expect both to be. My personal suspicion is that Hellblade 2 will be the dividing line between cross-gen/next-gen (with Hellblade 2 being the first next-gen only game).

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea where the idea behind the Xbox 20/20 name came from for their July event?

I don't think Xbox 20/20 is the name of the July event, but I could be wrong. 20/20 is a initiative where Xbox will give us some next gen news each month. Could be inside Xbox, a press conference, or a Xbox Wire post, etc.

news.xbox.com

Xbox 20/20: Join Us as We Look into the Future of Xbox - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note on 8/7/2020 – Xbox has a massive year ahead of us, as outlined below. After reassessing our programming for the rest of the year, we’ve decided to stop using the “Xbox 20/20” phrasing as it implied that we would be releasing information in one way only, through a dedicated monthly...

What was already going to be a once-in-a-generation year for gaming – a new generation of consoles, a wave of new next-generation games, and the launch of new ways to play with game streaming – 2020 has become the year that challenged us all and tested every commitment we've made in the face of COVID-19

Xbox 20/20

Starting with the May 7 episode of Inside Xbox, we will be showcasing what happens next in the world of Xbox, every month, which is why we're calling it "Xbox 20/20." These monthly moments will take place throughout the rest of the year and will be a way for us to engage, connect and celebrate with you about what's in store for the next generation of gaming, including what's next for Xbox Series X, Xbox Game Studios, Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud. Every month will bring something different. Stay tuned to Xbox Wire for more details.

Shinobi from the start has said July will be Microsoft's E3 event, so I think thats been the plan.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
I just want a smash or all stars fighting game from xbox with their ip or a party game in the vein of fusion frenzy

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want a smash or all stars fighting game from xbox with their ip or a party game in the vein of fusion frenzy
KI fills in for first party fighting game, however a revamped Fusion Frenzy with high production values and polish would be a great fill in for a party game as well as be perfect for Game Pass and cross play with PC.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I'm really excited about Double Fine next gen. Their games have always been unique and super creative. With their studio culture and being able to simply focus on making games now, I cant wait to see the wild stuff they come up with.

Its unlikely, but I would love more Costume Quest. (I'm a real sucker for Halloween)

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm really excited about Double Fine next gen. Their games have always been unique and super creative. With their studio culture and being able to simply focus on making games now, I cant wait to see the wild stuff they come up with.

Its unlikely, but I would love more Costume Quest. (I'm a real sucker for Halloween)
I have no doubts both Double Fine and Compulsion Games will be wellsprings for some of the most creative games next generation.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I have no doubts both Double Fine and Compulsion Games will be wellsprings for some of the most creative games next generation.

Compulsion is one Im keeping my eye on. I haven't had a chance to play We Happy Few yet, but I do have it downloaded. But I do remember reading about that game being a victim of circumstances. Being that they had to release it early access to even be able to continue developing it but by doing so it made a poor first impression for a lot of people.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I just kind of realized that it's actually very possible that we won't see MS' first AAA exclusive (that isn't Forza) until 2022. Because I doubt we will get Playground's RPG next year, no way will we have Obsidian's big new RPG, same goes for inXile, The Coalition, The Initiative.

However, who knows. Perhaps The Initiative CAN actually deliver their game sometime next year, same goes for Playground of course.
And the same goes for Hellblade 2. But something is telling me it isn't the case.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I just kind of realized that it's actually very possible that we won't see MS' first AAA exclusive (that isn't Forza) until 2022. Because I doubt we will get Playground's RPG next year, no way will we have Obsidian's big new RPG, same goes for inXile, The Coalition, The Initiative.

However, who knows. Perhaps The Initiative CAN actually deliver their game sometime next year, same goes for Playground of course. But something is telling me it isn't the case.

Well, its hard to say. Most of the acquired studios had games in the works prior to being purchased.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

However, who knows. Perhaps The Initiative CAN actually deliver their game sometime next year, same goes for Playground of course.
And the same goes for Hellblade 2. But something is telling me it isn't the case.

I take it you're not counting Everwild or Forza Horizon or Halo?

Also I think there's a very good chance we see Fable in 2021. New team, true, but Playground management seems to be too notch and they've been working on it for three years already.

Then I expect to see global publishing exclusives too.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Also I think there's a very good chance we see Fable in 2021. New team, true, but Playground management seems to be too notch and they've been working on it for three years already.

I keep forgetting about Everwild, maybe that's indeed a 2021 title? Yes intentionally didn't mention Halo and Forza. I don't think we're gonna see FH returning until 2022. Unless you expect FM8 this year?

When they announced Everwild last year, do we know for how long it had been in development already?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

Flight Simulator? Although we don't know exactly when it's coming to Xbox...

I think they will have a big non-Forza title in late 2021. Just not sure what it could be.

(Part of me is hoping for a Fable II remake to tide us over until the reboot. I know some people will say: "but you can play it through BC". Well.. PC players can't, so a new version of Fable II holds value beyond just prettier graphics)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Spring 2022 is very likely the first time we'll see a Series X exclusive and it will be Hellblade II.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those of you that played Control, how long is the game roughly! I'm currently at the point where I have to fight a "monster". That shouldn't give anything away for people that haven't played yet.

Joo

May 25, 2018

But when you compare three years to what it has usually taken from different devs to make a totally new AAA IP, three years is nothing.

Horizon Zero Dawn started in 2011 and released in 2017, Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, Ghost of Tsushima went to development in 2014.

Of course some games take longer than others, but if Fable is this very ambitious open world RPG, there is no way it's ready in three years with a team dipping to the whole genre for the first time. It's more likely that it'll take three more from this point.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Well there you go. And I would wager we haven't seen all the third-party publishing deals yet.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But when you compare three years to what it has usually taken from different devs to make a totally new AAA IP, three years is nothing.

Horizon Zero Dawn started in 2011 and released in 2017, Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, Ghost of Tsushima went to development in 2014.

Of course some games take longer than others, but if Fable is this very ambitious open world RPG, there is no way it's ready in three years with a team dipping to the whole genre for the first time. It's more likely that it'll take three more from this point.
I can see them planning for Fable to be released in fall 2021 but it being delayed to March/April 2022.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I can see them planning for Fable to be released in fall 2021 but it being delayed to March/April 2022.
Might be and great if they could make it, but it would still be quite bit faster development time than what studios usually have needed for comparable projects.

Based on other recent games, my guess would be that we'll get Fable at the end of 2022 or later.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be and great if they could make it, but it would still be quite bit faster development time than what studios usually have needed for comparable projects.

Based on other recent games, my guess would be that we'll get Fable at the end of 2022 or later.
When did their RPG started development?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I hope we don't get any $10 webcam presentations for the July showing. The fact that they've done the dev showcase for XSX on Mixer with a studio and presenter hopefully means that this is out of the question.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we don't get any $10 webcam presentations for the July showing. The fact that they've done the dev showcase for XSX on Mixer with a studio and presenter hopefully means that this is out of the question.
There's no need to hope for this and it's getting silly how many times this hope is being repeated in this thread for Xbox's E3 replacement in July that's not an Inside Xbox episode.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
We will not get a low quality main presentation. I promise. Microsoft has done a lot of work for other events like Build and it showed.

Joo

May 25, 2018
When did their RPG started development?
Well if I remember correctly, they opened over 170 positions for the second team at the end of 2018, but to my understanding the game was already at least at some stages of planning when MS acquired them in 2018 and announced it at E3.

So I guess it's actually about 2 years now? Full production definitely didn't start until the very end of 2018 or at the start of 2019 because the massive staff increase took place then, so it will take a long time for anything to come from them.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if I remember correctly, they opened over 170 positions for the second team at the end of 2018, but to my understanding the game was already at least at some stages of planning when MS acquired them in 2018 and announced it at E3.

So I guess it's actually about 2 years now? Full production definitely didn't start until the very end of 2018 or at the start of 2019 because the massive staff increase took place then, so it will take a long time for anything to come from them.
Yeah, then fall 2022 might be the earliest.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the concern being pushed by some about Xbox not just exclusively targeting the next generation hardware right away to start the generation. Here are many logical reasons that it should not be a huge concern. So just enjoy the fact that more of your friends and family that may not be able to upgrade right away at launch can play Halo Infinite and some other games with you as you play on your new Xbox Series X.
  • Third parties always do a cross gen transition period for obvious business and platform reasons, and Xbox is leaning some into that too it appears. However, some of the most impressive third-party cross-gen games stand toe to toe with anything that comes out at launch from the platform holders usually.
  • Halo Infinite will be the premiere Xbox Game Studios cross-gen release, and it is being built on a next generation Slipspace engine that has been described in the Halo Infinite official art book description as "To take full advantage of its prodigious graphical prowess, 343 Industries built an all-new, next-generation game engine, giving their world-class artists the tools and technology to realize the worlds, war, and wonder of the Halo universe in unprecedented style and fidelity."
  • Xbox knows the PC platform for obvious reasons as owners of the Windows OS and having been targeting it for first party games for a number of years now, so they know what it takes to scale games appropriately to the target hardware. The highest-level PC hardware is always where games look and play best such as Red Dead Redemption 2.
  • The SSDs are awesome to have on both consoles and should bring about some game design changes over time, but it is funny that the Godfall developer mentioned before that the PS5 SSD allows them to do things impossible on current hardware when they are also targeting PC. I don't know whether the PC system requirements will mandate an SSD, but you can be sure it won't require some insane level of SSD drive if it does. This would be the one area where Sony first party may be able to do something unique early on in one of their games if they choose, but it doesn't really make sense that it will be anything overall game wide that is too meaningful early on at launch (more likely some focused portions of a game to "show off").
  • Probably the biggest question would be devoting additional development resources to target more platforms, but this is zero concern for 3rd party games of course who are already doing that or don't have to if they don't want to (Medium and Scorn are both next generation exclusive games for example). So, it just comes down to Xbox Game Studios who are already targeting PC anyway, and obviously they should know their own dev kits and tools better than anyone. And let's be honest, they aren't going to stupidly spend forever grinding on optimizing an Xbox One version of their game if it has reached a certain point of performance given that we are going to a next generation.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

None of us know how far along Obsidian's game is. Wasn't the suggestion that it was the reason that Microsoft purchased them? It could be pretty far along.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

Don't forget Global Publishing. They have a couples aces up their sleeve iirc.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I understand the concern for potential compromises completely. While lots of things can easily scale up or down with power (texture detail, resolution, framerate, etc.), some things don't - world size and density, artificial intelligence, lots of NPCs/enemies on screen, etc. Those are things that have to be designed around your lowest common denominator, and then scaled UP from there. This is also why some cross-gen games have historically been developed by separate teams for each platform.

You mention one good point, which is that with Microsoft putting all of their games on PC now anyway, their first-party games were never going to be designed with solely the XSX silicon in mind. However, what you CAN do with PCs, is increase the system requirements for your games. An Xbox One is always going to be an Xbox One.

I do think the effect of Microsoft's cross-gen plans is hugely overstated by (usually motivated) parties who think it's a massive mistake. It's one year and first-party only, meaning it's likely to affect, what? 2-3 games at most? And the extent of an effect it will have is directly tied to what kind of game it is. I don't think a Forza Motorsport title would be massive affected by scaling down to an Xbox One, for example. A Forza Horizon game would be much more impacted by it, because it would dictate things like how big and geometrically complex their open world can be.

All we can hope is that, when it comes to their cross-gen games, Microsoft are throwing enough development resources at them to make sure the next-gen versions truly feel next-generation.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Yeah no, lol.

Microsoft aren't going to release zero AAA first-party games in 2021, in the early days of a new console generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.