• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree, I am leaning more to thinking it is something about a deeper dive into Series X, whatever that may be. The term Xboxing Day just implies it is something more than purely software, at least in my opinion. So if it's not Lockhart, it might be more on Series X.

Or an Elite Controller 3.0 :)

possibly VR as well

I keep wondering if DLI came about not because of controllers but through research in VR headsets... simply because you don't notice latency issues so much through gamepads but you sure as shit notice it on VR helmets

Aug 23, 2018
All aboard the Hype Infinity - Xbox 20/20?
Let's go!

uCv0eNn.jpg

Hope it's not too late to grab my spot!

Thanks for your info. Somehow I forgot about Paradox purchasing HBS. I'm looking forward to whatever they're doing next. And fingers crossed Shadowrun does return in some way, shape or form.

Is advertising on television that important in this day and age?

No, especially not on ESPN day time TV in July when there are no sports on.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know what time it is, I just want them to get it right. I've longed for Microsoft to get this right. They have the most powerful console, they have the studios, they have the man I've come to trust to lead them in this time. It's their time to shine and I just simply want them to do it. I feel that Microsoft can take gaming further than any other company in the world. I've been on their vision since 2001, it has been a dream deferred but now it is time to take that to the masses in the world. So, until they do it, it isn't silly, this is their biggest E3 event ever, I want them to rise to the occasion.
Then continue to stay concerned for Xbox to not rise to the occasion for their E3 replacement during the same year they're releasing new console/s for the next generation. Xbox either executes well or they don't. They know what time it is.

Mar 11, 2019
Jeff Grubb has been saying the second week of June is "Xboxing Day". What do you guys think that means? Do you think it's a reference to Xbox Lockhart? Do you think it references bundling xCloud with GamePass? Maybe the release date/price of Xbox Series X?

He has been right on almost everything so far, so I tend to believe him. Next week, something Xbox is coming. But I still hve no idea what "Xboxing Day" could mean.
Only thing I can imagine is official price and preorders, I dont think they want to delay it much longer when Playstation intends to have theirs up after the June 4 event. Also based on Phil's words I think they will attempt to at least price match the PS5.

For example there may be people in doubt that want to choose one of the two, and when only one is available they go for that one first.

Oct 27, 2017
Then continue to stay concerned for Xbox to not rise to the occasion for their E3 replacement during the same year they're releasing new console/s for the next generation. Xbox either executes well or they don't. They know what time it is.

That's all. Not concerned in the sense that it will break my heart, lol, but in the sense that this is my favorite hobby and I want who I feel is best suited for this to strive going forward. I feel good about what they will have, all I offer is what I'm sure many people feel though.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be a bit weird to have an unboxing, price, date when the big game event is month away. Buy this thing, we will show the games later.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's all. Not concerned in the sense that it will break my heart, lol, but in the sense that this is my favorite hobby and I want who I feel is best suited for this to strive going forward. I feel good about what they will have, all I offer is what I'm sure many people feel though.
All I'm saying is Xbox knows this. LOL Hence why I think it was good thing there was negative reception towards their last Inside Xbox despite the fact the presentation was fine, but the timing and messaging set people up for AAA next gen and gameplay expectations that the trailers didn't offer.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I work in the video advertising industry, and I haven't even started editing some stuff that will be shot soon but released before mid-july. Honestly, yeah a lot can still be done in a month. The main meat of the show (game demos and trailers from each studio) is not even linked to that "filming" and "editing" that I'm talking about when I say production values (good cameras, some great interview setups). The content won't move, of course, but what I mean by stepping it up is finding a way for it to look much more professional than what the latest Inside Xbox is (and it will be better executed already, but it might need to be even more depending on what Sony will do).
Same here. We've had to put together some pretty crazy shit during this pandemic with no budget and no time. If we can do it, I have no doubt MS can too. Looking at what they did for Build, it seems like they have the capabilities.

I wonder why he called it Xboxing day. To me, Boxing day implies some kind of sale lol.
Probably just because its the only thing he could find that alludes to it being Xbox. That or preorders go up?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a bit weird to have an unboxing, price, date when the big game event is month away. Buy this thing, we will show the games later.

I doubt we get a price or a date.

Phil already said (when talking about the Games Awards reveal), he felt it would be weird to show the Xbox Series X without a game (I believe he used the word "tone deaf"), so he showed the Hellblade 2 trailer.

I imagine price will be announced after the July event, and thats when preorders will go up. They probably want to wait for Sony to announce the price of the PS5 as well.

So definitely not this month.

If I had to take a guess, IGN and other smaller outlets go through the Series X, the UI, the new storefront (which is coming to Xbox One), mess around with various games, show off some backwards compatibility, quick resume, controller impressions, xCloud, etc.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt we get a price or a date.

Phil already said (when talking about the Games Awards reveal), he felt it would be weird to show the Xbox Series X without a game (I believe he used the word "tone deaf"), so he showed the Hellblade 2 trailer.

I imagine price will be announced after the July event, and thats when preorders will go up. They probably want to wait for Sony to announce the price of the PS5 as well.

So definitely not this month.

If I had to take a guess, IGN and other smaller outlets go through the Series X, the UI, the new storefront (which is coming to Xbox One), mess around with various games, show off some backwards compatibility, quick resume, controller impressions, xCloud, etc.

Oh, that would be well worth a look then. Hopefully that.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Studios dedicated to one IP:
343 - Halo
Coalition - Gears
Turn 10 - Forza
World's Edge - Age of Empires
Undead Labs - State of Decay
Mojang - Minecraft

Studios that will be doing multiple IP:
Obsidian
InXile
Playground
Compulsion
Ninja Theory
Double Fine
The Initiative
Rare

Personally I think the Coalition and Undead Labs should be experimenting with new IP, but we'll see what happens. State of Decay 3 better really fucking bring it though, was totally unimpressed with SoD2. Part of that might be that I'm totally fed up with zombie shit though.

I agree, coalition and 343 are huge and talented. Arguably the only / main criticisms they have had is the handling of an existing property and how it contrasts with the predecessors.

Would love to see them get let loose on a new IP.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
possibly VR as well

I keep wondering if DLI came about not because of controllers but through research in VR headsets... simply because you don't notice latency issues so much through gamepads but you sure as shit notice it on VR helmets
Wow good call, totally hadn't thought about this. We know they have collaborated on a recently announced headset with HP. Maybe it could have something to do with that?

It just seems odd that mere months ago, Phil Spencer said they weren't interested in VR and tried to set expectations in that regard.
Only thing I can imagine is official price and preorders, I dont think they want to delay it much longer when Playstation intends to have theirs up after the June 4 event. Also based on Phil's words I think they will attempt to at least price match the PS5.

For example there may be people in doubt that want to choose one of the two, and when only one is available they go for that one first.
Yeah, this one seems to be the safest prediction. They must have an idea of where Sony is looking in terms of pricing. Interested to see whether they're able to match the price despite being the more powerful console.

If they're able to achieve that, it would be pretty nuts. Though I expect it to be about $50 more.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess that brings up a good discussion topic, what IPs would everyone like to see be brought back?

For me it's probably (in this order):

1. Perfect Dark
  2. Fable
  3. Shadowrun
  4. Banjo
  5. Viva Pinata
Bonus: 1 vs 100
LTTP, but:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Fable
3. Perfect Dark
4. PGR
5. Shadowrun

+++
Kameo, (RC) Pro-Am, Brutal Legend, Iron Brigade, Viva Pinata

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
PS5 event has been delayed. I honestly respect the decision as they have very little to gain from delaying other than dodging any negative press from holding their release (which I can't imagine would happen).

Although the delay I believe helps Xbox, the smaller the gap between Sony's event and Xbox's event, the better.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 event has been delayed. I honestly respect the decision as they have very little to gain from delaying other than dodging any negative press from holding their release (which I can't imagine would happen).

Although the delay I believe helps Xbox, the smaller the gap between Sony's event and Xbox's event, the better.
Only a bad event from Sony helps Xbox. Anything else doesn't.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

The gap doesn't matter near as much as the quality of the presentation the Xbox Team makes in July. That will be what determines the direction of the narrative they've been trying to massage since December. PlayStation is very likely going to make some solid strokes with their presentation, Xbox has to bring its A-game.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Huh, wait...Thursday isn't happening anymore? I don't see it on the front page.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think they show Lockhart until they announce the price of Series X which won't be until later, I'm thinking August.

I think we get a literal unboxing of the Series X and info on updates to Game Pass, xCloud, UI and other aspects of the console.
What if they announce lockhart and price but don't announce series X price? I could MAYBE see them do that

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Microsoft is going to have to show something either really new, or really impressive with their full Series X reveal.

I don't think it will go well if it's something like PS5 with Silent Hill, Horizon 2, "Some Japanese Exclusive" and a Naughty Dog tease versus Forza 8 with better graphics, the X1X version of Halo Infinite with faster loading, a port of Gears 5 running at 120FPS, and a quirky AA-budget game from one of their new studios (think Bleeding Edge or Grounded).

I guess I'm trying to keep my expectations low since Microsoft hasn't really pushed a big "system seller" game since Halo 5. Even Gears 5 last year was handled super weird with the multiplayer-only demo and refusing to show the campaign (which by most accounts actually ended up being good???).

Fable and Hellblade gameplay would probably go over well.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is going to have to show something either really new, or really impressive with their full Series X reveal.

I don't think it will go well if it's something like PS5 with Silent Hill, Horizon 2, "Some Japanese Exclusive" and a Naughty Dog tease versus Forza 8 with better graphics, the X1X version of Halo Infinite with faster loading, a port of Gears 5 running at 120FPS, and a quirky AA-budget game from one of their new studios (think Bleeding Edge or Grounded).

I guess I'm trying to keep my expectations low since Microsoft hasn't really pushed a big "system seller" game since Halo 5. Even Gears 5 last year was handled super weird with the multiplayer-only demo and refusing to show the campaign (which by most accounts actually ended up being good???).

I think a re-imagined Perfect Dark would do this. Maybe something with a bigger focus on espionage and stealth since Agent Dark is a spy after all.

Would love to see a big AAA Perfect Dark where you visit multiple locales doing spy shit.

Oct 27, 2017

I imagine that there is going to be something for 'all gamers' there. However, their tentpole franchises are going to have to show promise. Hopefully something new that appeals to the imagination. We are going to get Halo, Forza and perhaps Gears, but we need to see others elevated to the stature of these franchises.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Definitely not what's going to happen.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

Yeah graphically some of their games are going to be held back by the Xbox One, which is unfortunate. I'm hopeful that they'll showcase some stuff that will be XSX exclusive and can wow graphically. They need to show off that power, this gen should've taught them they can't rely on 3rd Party to do it for them.

I think Obsidian's new game is going to be XSX exclusive since I expect that will be launching sometimes after 2021 given how long AAA RPGs take to make. Perhaps Fable as well.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Come on now with this. I don't think anyone should have to tell you that it isn't going to be just this. Did you forget about The Initiative, Playground Games, Obsidian and so on? Whether their projects can be shown of gameplay demo wise or a short trailer with solely cinematics or some gameplay in there.....we don't know yet.

Shinobi is excited about the show, Klobrille said ab-so-lute-ly when asked if there would be AAA third party exclusives like a SO and Ryse.

July will be good.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah graphically some of their games are going to be held back by the Xbox One, which is unfortunate. I'm hopeful that they'll showcase some stuff that will be XSX exclusive and can wow graphically. They need to show off that power, this gen should've taught them they can't rely on 3rd Party to do it for them.

I think Obsidian's new game is going to be XSX exclusive since I expect that will be launching sometimes after 2021 given how long AAA RPGs take to make. Perhaps Fable as well.

While I have my doubts about that as well, we really don't know for sure this will be the case. Valid arguments have been made that this doesn't necessarily mean bad news, as valid arguments also have been made that it isn't really ideal.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020
I like that some games are cross gen because remember xbox messed up in 2013/2014 so they are not finished with the xbox one like sony is with their thing because after the last of us part 2 and ghost of tsushima it all full steam ahead. The xbox goodwill that they have from all these good pro consumer level things is awesome and i know we would like them to drop the xbox one and just focus on the Series X but they feel they atleast need to have some stuff both before the cutoff date in 2021/2022 This is my thinking though i could be totally wrong but hey having fun and playing games is all i care about.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Now that the PS reveal is postponed I'd love to see Sony and Microsoft doing a back-to-back reveal in July. It would be at least a little bit like those glorious E3 days. Highly unlikely, but I'd be ecstatic about that.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Sony made the absolute right move, respect to them. As for delaying or something helping Xbox or making their event worse, or anything like that, thats not true.

What makes or breaks these events, and these consoles, are one thing: the games.

If you show good games, everything is forgotten. Marketing blunders, silence, backwards compatibility controversy, etc etc. And I really think Sony and Microsoft will have great events with a lot of games.
The X1X version of Halo Infinite with faster loading, a port of Gears 5 running at 120FPS, and a quirky AA-budget game from one of their new studios (think Bleeding Edge or Grounded).

This 100% won't happen.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
That doesn't make any sense though. The whole point is to compare the price of Lockhart directly to the Series X and show how it's an entry level option.
I only say MAYBE as then it would allow them to have gone first on price. I don't think they will but they could. Come out and say we have a lower performance model at $300. Not that it's the best way but the way things are right now who knows.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020

Lol

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
This thread continues to deliver on hyperbole and Xbox Ded if they don't follow Sony comments.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
This thread continues to deliver on hyperbole and Xbox Ded if they don't follow Sony comments.

Crazy isn't it? I mean we've had like seven years of Xbox doing not exactly the best they can. If anything I would say those times warranted having worries or being disappointed.

But now they have so many new studios, new games in the works, lots of things to look forward and a clear sign that Xbox isn't going anywhere, except up and we still get this weird nonsense. Sure I have my doubts too about a few things and we'll have to see how they unfold but overall there's more positivity for Xbox than negativity.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea where the idea behind the Xbox 20/20 name came from for their July event?

Hoping as we get closer to July they market it similar to Sonys "media briefing", feels much more like E3 in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.