• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure people who said this basically never plan to buy Xbox no matter what, because this isn't hard to fight against, this is just straightforward stupid respond to reboot IPs, no even worth for my time to reply them.
This. People open to newer AAA singleplayer games from MS will consider Xbox especially with services like Game Pass.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
Still don't understand this take. Why do you hope it's not PD over a new IP if you have "little memory of the IP"? Would that not make it (basically) a new IP for you?
It's not just you either - I feel like this is every detractor's take, as of there's a limitation to using a world and character from a game they don't even have a strong memory of.
The only argument to existing IP I could understand is if a studio has to play in a sandbox for franchise reasons (like a Marvel Studios thing). Nobody wants The Initiative to have to, say, make a Halo spin-off because there would be things they definitely can and cannot do. Other than names (Joanna Dark and dataDyne) they literally have free reign.
Uncharted could have been called Pitfall and made no difference whatsoever to the end product.
Very true and this made me think of Metal Gear in 1987, Snake's Revenge and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake in 1990. The majority of Metal Gear Solid fans are probably not even aware of these earlier games.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Xbox has a lot more to prove than PS was when God of War was announced. We're under a huge microscope
Yeh I get that for sure, I just find it super unfair that Xbox would get a neutered perception due to rebooted IP's (if they existed) when God of War is one of the most critically acclaimed games this gen and throughout we've had critically successfully reboots such as Tomb Raider.

I just don't want it to be a baton to club Xbox with when there is a clear double standard.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The Microsoft IP I care about the most, Killer Instinct, is likely not getting a sequel for the next 3 years at a minimum. That makes me so sad since the X1 release was such as return to form for the franchise. I get that KI was a "niche game" amongst 5-10 million sellers, but it had so much heart and was so refined and well supported on a minimal budget that I think it more than made up for it.

I'm also one of those people that thinks MS should support KI by bringing it to every platform that can support it right now and see if they can drum up enough interested for a sequel exclusively to their new console/PC.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Microsoft IP I care about the most, Killer Instinct, is likely not getting a sequel for the next 3 years at a minimum. That makes me so sad since the X1 release was such as return to form for the franchise. I get that KI was a "niche game" amongst 5-10 million sellers, but it had so much heart and was so refined and well supported on a minimal budget that I think it more than made up for it.

I'm also one of those people that thinks MS should support KI by bringing it to every platform that can support it right now and see if they can drum up enough interested for a sequel exclusively to their new console/PC.

Do we know if Killer Instinct was successful in Microsoft's eyes?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. What a waste. Who is watching ESPN right now?
Not me, but people are desperate for sports of any kind since everything was put on pause. I'm sure there's quite a few people watching.

I don't know if MS will run TV ads for the July event, but we can be damn sure they're gonna push hard when pre-orders are ready.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why are you sad when you can still play and enjoy the game regardless if they make a sequel or not? That's the thing I love about fighting games. I still enjoy playing Super Street Fighter Turbo and older fighting games.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Just finished playing through the entire MCC on Legendary on co-op with my brother and now I'm hyped as fuck for Infinite. C'mon 343 blow me away with what you've been cooking.

I even did Spartan Ops but Jesus were those a slog to get through. Did help my Kill X of Y type of enemy achievements though!

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
MS needs to push HARD with marketing.
And this time not just USA.
I gotta think they're not going to embarrass themselves with that "tier" shit this time around. Couldn't believe they were marketing W3 while designating Poland a tier 2 country, that was so goddamn stupid. This time I think they will do better.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Dungeons entered the most played list at 9th place

Most played games - Microsoft Store

Most played games – Shop these 49 items and explore Microsoft Store for great apps, games, laptops, PCs, and other devices.

10th in UK

I consider this the most accurate most played chart based on how they track it, and Minecraft Dungeons jumped to #4 which is right about Minecraft itself. Very impressive and well deserved too, as my family has been having a total blast playing through this!

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Reworking on a previous franchise has plenty of downsides unless they completely knock it out of the park. The bigger one to me is bringing in new fans to the console. They announce something like Fable, there will be people who roll their eyes no matter how the game looks, no matter how much different it is, no matter how much BETTER it is. They'll say "same old Xbox, same old IP" and move on. I guarantee we will see a lot of this with the rebooted franchises once they get announced, and it will be hard to fight against this type of speak.

Now, if these new talented teams were working on something brand new, that would shine a new light on the Xbox side of things. When people see good things on something NEW... that sends a better message.
Studios dedicated to one IP:
343 - Halo
Coalition - Gears
Turn 10 - Forza
World's Edge - Age of Empires
Undead Labs - State of Decay
Mojang - Minecraft

Studios that will be doing multiple IP:
Obsidian
InXile
Playground
Compulsion
Ninja Theory
Double Fine
The Initiative
Rare

Personally I think the Coalition and Undead Labs should be experimenting with new IP, but we'll see what happens. State of Decay 3 better really fucking bring it though, was totally unimpressed with SoD2. Part of that might be that I'm totally fed up with zombie shit though.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Do we know if Killer Instinct was successful in Microsoft's eyes?
The documentary is next week, maybe one of the people on the Xbox side talks about this. I would guess it was pretty successful but not sequel guaranteed success or anything. If it comes back. itll be because of someone advocating for it in xbox and Max, of course.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Why are you sad when you can still play and enjoy the game regardless if they make a sequel or not? That's the thing I love about fighting games. I still enjoy playing Super Street Fighter Turbo and older fighting games.

I feel it has a lot to do with the active population + continuous support.
We want more people playing KI (for better matches) and we want brand new content.

For example, I tried to play some KI online and got DESTROYED because most of the people that were playing were really good. Doing all the tutorials didn't help.
If KI2 (4?) released I would jump back in because I feel I would be able to be matched against people of my skill more easily.

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020

Great points. KI is really a key item of when I will buy a series X. Not that it is a system seller on its own, it is not in my opinion. But it tells me where MS's head is at with continuing to support unique successes for them, which I believe it is. If they are willing to continue to support games like KI and not just drop it when its not Gears/Forza/Halo, then I am in.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
And it's a win-win, Phil and the team usually love their big E3 stage, so if the Sony event has great production values, cool games and impressive demos, Microsoft will have to step up too.
In what way can they "step it up" in such short notice amid this crisis and they're already struggling to put the event together as is? I get you're point but I think they're "stuck" with what they have planned regardless of what Sony shows.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would guess it was pretty successful but not sequel guaranteed success or anything. If it comes back. itll be because of someone advocating for it in xbox and Max, of course.

I think Game Pass being... well Game Pass, gives them a good case to eventually work on Killer Instinct II.

Fighting game is a whole category on there, and having your own fighter on there instead of constantly paying NRS, SNK, and Capcom would be a good case for the sequel imo.

And I wasn't aware of the documentary, I'll definitely watch that.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We want more people playing KI (for better matches) and we want brand new content.

For example, I tried to play some KI online and got DESTROYED because most of the people that were playing were really good. Doing all the tutorials didn't help.
If KI2 (4?) released I would jump back in because I feel I would be able to be matched against people of my skill more easily.
Oh I understand wanting a sequel, but not being sad for lack of a sequel to a fighting game where the core mechanics and systems are great and can always be enjoyed competitively locally or online. I understand being sad for no sequel to single player games, especially story driven one's where there's more story to tell. Not to mention levels, systems, mechanics, A.I., etc... can all be expanded upon, increased, and improved and so on. That being said I definitely don't want the KI IP to go dormant again and feel there's so much that can be done with it including a sequel, spin off games using KI characters expanding the lore, and crossover games that could be huge like MK vs KI.

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Game Pass being... well Game Pass, gives them a good case to eventually work on Killer Instinct II.

Fighting game is a whole category on there, and having your own fighter on there instead of constantly paying NRS, SNK, and Capcom would be a good case for the sequel imo.

And I wasn't aware of the documentary, I'll definitely watch that.
A big budget reboot of Phantom Dust by a partnered Japanese Studio would be perfect for Game Pass.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about the advertising but what this is showing me, at least preliminarily is that Sony is going to go big. Microsoft will be afforded to know what the bar is for their proper unveil. They should study this and the noise around it accordingly.
This is silly. As if they have to study how Sony is going big marketing their next big thing for fall. LOL Of course MS is going to spend tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of dollars advertising globally their next big thing that's releasing this fall that's also a gateway to services they're selling. They've spent years setting up for this.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
In what way can they "step it up" in such short notice amid this crisis and they're already struggling to put the event together as is? I get you're point but I think they're "stuck" with what they have planned regardless of what Sony shows.

I mean, I work in the video advertising industry, and I haven't even started editing some stuff that will be shot soon but released before mid-july. Honestly, yeah a lot can still be done in a month. The main meat of the show (game demos and trailers from each studio) is not even linked to that "filming" and "editing" that I'm talking about when I say production values (good cameras, some great interview setups). The content won't move, of course, but what I mean by stepping it up is finding a way for it to look much more professional than what the latest Inside Xbox is (and it will be better executed already, but it might need to be even more depending on what Sony will do).

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Yep. There's only so much you can do, especially in this climate. It takes a while to make a gameplay demo for a game mid-development. Games are really rough through the dev process. When you see a gameplay demos for a game a year or more out, they did a lot of side work just to get that 5 minute sliver polished and ready for the public to see.

The demos Microsoft have planned for us (if any) have likely been in motion for a while. As for production values for the event, one would hope Microsoft is already shooting for a professional quality broadcast. They shouldn't need to react to that lol.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I work in the TV industry, and I haven't even started editing some stuff that will be shot soon but released before mid-july. Honestly, yeah a lot can still be done in a month. The main meat of the show (game demos and trailers from each studio) is not even linked to that "filming" and "editing" that I'm talking about when I say production values (good cameras, some great interview setups). The content won't move, of course, but what I mean by stepping it up is finding a way for it to look much more professional than what the latest Inside Xbox is (and it will be better executed already, but it might need to be even more depending on what Sony will do).
July event isn't Inside Xbox since beginning.

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020

I play KI at least once a week. Most of the time I play against normal difficulty CPUs. I ramp up the difficulty in the rare occasions when I feel brave.

Tried to play online once when the game was still new and had my ass delivered to my doorstep. I rather enjoy my time with my offline bots.

And since Combo Assist was first introduced I've never turned it off once. lol

It's the count of store reviews.

Looks bugged though if you click through to individual titles they often don't match.

I see. Thank you.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure they have a deck of content thats constantly changing. It'll be shuffled around based on expectation imo.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Yep. There's only so much you can do, especially in this climate. It takes a while to make a gameplay demo for a game mid-development. Games are really rough through the dev process. When you see a gameplay demos for a game a year or more out, they did a lot of side work just to get that 5 minute sliver polished and ready for the public to see.

The demos Microsoft have planned for us (if any) have likely been in motion for a while. As for production values for the event, one would hope Microsoft is already shooting for a professional quality broadcast. They shouldn't need to react to that lol.

I'm totally talking about what's outside the games. Making a game demo polished, stable, great-looking takes much more time than shooting and editing an interview. Only talking about interview setups, cameras, editing, animations. That's why I'm saying the main content is already planned and well into production, but what's outside (transitions between games, interviews, etc.) probably hasn't all been shot yet.

July event isn't Inside Xbox since beginning.

Nothing has ever been said explicitly. It could be an Inside Xbox, just bigger (like X019 which was a nice show), or it could be anything else (and I know, it will be something else). While it seems obvious they're going to want to detach themselves from the name for this next event, we can't assume it has always been planned this way.

Oct 27, 2017
This is silly. As if they have to study how Sony is going big marketing their next big thing for fall. LOL Of course MS is going to spend tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of dollars advertising globally their next big thing that's releasing this fall that's also a gateway to services they're selling. They've spent years setting up for this.

I get all that but if Microsoft wants to get to where they want to go, their games unveil in July can't be done through the prism of an Inside Xbox. There is going to have to be a certain degree of professionalism with it. Press kits and whatever else that typically accompanies an E3 conference for example. Halo Infinite can't be shown for the first time in a pixelated manner on Mixer or whatever. When I was watching the Inside Xbox on Mixer, I didn't think it looked special, then I saw a trailer on IGN and I was pleasantly surprised. The gaming masses need to see it direct from Microsoft this time around. I believe that these things and others will be covered well but in the event anyone that power to move things reads these kinds of posts, I hope they know what is expected.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As long as MS cover all bases, they don't have to show a massive amount. Halo, Hellblade, Forza, Fable etc should be 1st party showcases. As much as I want loads and loads showed, if its not high quality/not ready yet, don't show it.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Jeff Grubb has been saying the second week of June is "Xboxing Day". What do you guys think that means? Do you think it's a reference to Xbox Lockhart? Do you think it references bundling xCloud with GamePass? Maybe the release date/price of Xbox Series X?

He has been right on almost everything so far, so I tend to believe him. Next week, something Xbox is coming. But I still hve no idea what "Xboxing Day" could mean.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get all that but if Microsoft wants to get to where they want to go, their games unveil in July can't be done through the prism of an Inside Xbox. There is going to have to be a certain degree of professionalism with it. Press kits and whatever else that typically accompanies an E3 conference for example. Halo Infinite can't be shown for the first time in a pixelated manner on Mixer or whatever. When I was watching the Inside Xbox on Mixer, I didn't think it looked special, then I saw a trailer on IGN and I was pleasantly surprised. The gaming masses need to see it direct from Microsoft this time around. I believe that these things and others will be covered well but in the event anyone that power to move things reads these kinds of posts, I hope they know what is expected.
This is MS's replacement for E3 in the same year they're releasing a new console/s for the next generation. This concern is silly. I don't get it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Grubb has been saying the second week of June is "Xboxing Day". What do you guys think that means? Do you think it's a reference to Xbox Lockhart? Do you think it references bundling xCloud with GamePass? Maybe the release date/price of Xbox Series X?

He has been right on almost everything so far, so I tend to believe him. Next week, something Xbox is coming. But I still hve no idea what "Xboxing Day" could mean.

I don't think they show Lockhart until they announce the price of Series X which won't be until later, I'm thinking August.

I think we get a literal unboxing of the Series X and info on updates to Game Pass, xCloud, UI and other aspects of the console.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
As long as MS cover all bases, they don't have to show a massive amount. Halo, Hellblade, Forza, Fable etc should be 1st party showcases. As much as I want loads and loads showed, if its not high quality/not ready yet, don't show it.
I do think they kind of need too though. They have more to prove and if that involved announcing stuff far out, now is the time. They need to sell people on the XSX.

Oct 27, 2017
This is MS's replacement for E3 in the same year they're releasing a new console/s for the next generation. This concern is silly. I don't get it.

We know what time it is, I just want them to get it right. I've longed for Microsoft to get this right. They have the most powerful console, they have the studios, they have the man I've come to trust to lead them in this time. It's their time to shine and I just simply want them to do it. I feel that Microsoft can take gaming further than any other company in the world. I've been on their vision since 2001, it has been a dream deferred but now it is time to take that to the masses in the world. So, until they do it, it isn't silly, this is their biggest E3 event ever, I want them to rise to the occasion.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

They can't be struggling to put it together. Their July event is later than a June E3 would have been. There's more than enough time to change or fine tune their event.

It's already on Xbox and PC. What other platforms ?

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I don't think they show Lockhart until they announce the price of Series X which won't be until later, I'm thinking August.

I think we get a literal unboxing of the Series X and info on updates to Game Pass, xCloud, UI and other aspects of the console.
I tend to agree, I am leaning more to thinking it is something about a deeper dive into Series X, whatever that may be. The term Xboxing Day just implies it is something more than purely software, at least in my opinion. So if it's not Lockhart, it might be more on Series X.

Or an Elite Controller 3.0 :)

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Want...

New Otogi, Jade Empire, ChromeHounds, Mech Assault, Ninja Gaiden.

All this - yes!

Reworking on a previous franchise has plenty of downsides unless they completely knock it out of the park. The bigger one to me is bringing in new fans to the console. They announce something like Fable, there will be people who roll their eyes no matter how the game looks, no matter how much different it is, no matter how much BETTER it is. They'll say "same old Xbox, same old IP" and move on. I guarantee we will see a lot of this with the rebooted franchises once they get announced, and it will be hard to fight against this type of speak.

Now, if these new talented teams were working on something brand new, that would shine a new light on the Xbox side of things. When people see good things on something NEW... that sends a better message.

I don't know, I think it will be a good thing to have people come and check out the Xbox side of things.

Such a weird take. I don't see why "eye rolling" is a clear reaction to Fable. I also fail to understand why comparing two games, one we've had entries in far more recently makes sense. Fable has a very recent case of "not working out" and is still likely to have fans who want the original formula back. The conversation is about Perfect Dark, a franchise that has had zero new entries for almost two entire console generations (considering it was a 360 launch title). That game has almost zero constraints (as a property) and I can't fathom why anyone would associate it with negativity.

My bigger question, to you and anyone else who thinks a PD revisit is a terrible idea, is what if Darrell Gallagher wanted to make a 3rd person action/espionage game regardless? What if he wanted to set this game in the near-future setting? What if he wanted to continue exploring female protagonists for his narrative? Would calling it "Neon City Blues" make ANY difference whatsoever to the end product?

WHO CARES? Let the devs decide. If its PD - great! If it's not PD but something like it - great! If it's nothing like anyone was guessing, and is just a fresh IP - great! If it's a reboot of Brute Force - go for it!.

Well I hope these people say the same about God Of War and the rumoured silent hill remake and demon souls remake.
^this

Status
Not open for further replies.