• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
If they get DS into pc game pass, when console gamers are starving for anything Jp to hit the service..

I have no words, there's hundreds of Jp games they could get instead, hundreds.. and they go after another PC only game pass game.

We console players, pay more, get less.. and they make these moves to make us feel even worse.. in a way it's impressive, how they manage to find new ways to make console users feel worse.
This is a bit dramatic

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I remember when the PS Studios website banner got updated and included Death Stranding a lot of people thought it meant Kojima Productions was bought lmao

All that confirmed for me is that DS2 is indeed in development and PS owns the IP (since a lot of talk recently on that topic). But yeah people had a lot of speculation, not that I don't understand mind you given how Bluepoint and Housemarque acquisitions were presented by having a game of theirs included on the banner.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
All that confirmed for me is that DS2 is indeed in development and PS owns the IP (since a lot of talk recently on that topic). But yeah people had a lot of speculation, not that I don't understand mind you given how Bluepoint and Housemarque acquisitions were presented by having a game of theirs included on the banner.
All it confirmed for me was they wanted to include games published under the PlayStation Studios banner (as Death Stranding was) on their website 😂 which should be obvious. It was just an updated lineup of games rather than old stuff from a selection of the FP studios. I guess DS2 is in the works based on what Reedus said. Kinda surprising it would get a sequel, but maybe not as it did get some critical acclaim.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
All it confirmed for me was they wanted to include games published under the PlayStation Studios banner (as Death Stranding was) on their website 😂 which should be obvious. It was just an updated lineup of games rather than old stuff from a selection of the FP studios. I guess DS2 is in the works based on what Reedus said. Kinda surprising it would get a sequel, but maybe not as it did get some critical acclaim.

You can be on the banner too one day. We can all be banner slices. Maybe klobrille will mock one up of this OT. Slice me right up.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If they get DS into pc game pass, when console gamers are starving for anything Jp to hit the service..

I have no words, there's hundreds of Jp games they could get instead, hundreds.. and they go after another PC only game pass game.

We console players, pay more, get less.. and they make these moves to make us feel even worse.. in a way it's impressive, how they manage to find new ways to make console users feel worse.
Not long ago the PC support on Game Pass was inferior to the console offerings. There is just no pleasing everyone.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't think MS is going to take the foot off the COD gas, per se (though, as I've said before, I think maybe a 4 or 5 year cycle with either a gap year or regular "smaller" games to fill the lulls would probably be better than the current 3 year cycle.) But, I do think it's interesting to think about Sledgehammer here specifically. Sledgehammer has not had great press and results lately. In fact, its entire history has been marked by gambles and saves and compromises. Advanced Warfare, WW2, Cold War - where they disagreed with Raven, ostensibly always the support studio, and lost getting relegated to partner studio alongside Raven. Decent/good games that nevertheless did not set the high water marks for their franchise. They've lost both of their founders.

And yet, they've continued to grow - exponentially even. New studios in new locations and a LOT of new people. And they're now working on multiple projects. Here's the thing. Will they continue on the COD train? Maybe, entirely plausible, quite probable. But that doesn't mean their COD project has to look like the yearly COD products we've been getting either. At least one of them could well be a genre and tone or even franchise departure.

In that case, IF The Initiative can prove itself as the "lead" studio on Perfect Dark, perhaps there is indeed a case for taking some of the talent at Sledgehammer, potentially with less direction after high profile project setbacks and the loss of their former leaders, to allow TI to step in and direct them towards something new. It's plausible, at least.
Sledgehammer's might not be as big/good as Infinity Ward or Treyarch's games. However there's a reason they're growing. Even a "bad" Call of Duty is still selling 20 million copies and generating at least a billion dollars annually. Especially WW2, that was a huge success.
www.playstationlifestyle.net

Call of Duty: WWII Has One of the Best Selling Weekends For a Call of Duty Title - PlayStation LifeStyle

Activision has released the opening weekend Call of Duty WW2 sales numbers, and the game is now the second best selling in the franchises history.
venturebeat.com

Call of Duty: WWII has already made $1 billion in sales

We're thrilled to announce the return of GamesBeat Next, hosted in San Francisco this October, where we will explore the theme of "Playing the Edge." Apply to speak here and learn more about sponsorship opportunities here. At the event, we will also announce 25 top game startups as the 2024 Game...

This is what I don't think people really are getting. It's like people who say EA should stop making FIFA or Madden annually and actually improve the games because the games are too similar. That doesn't change the fact that if they don't release FIFA or Madden they're missing out on hundreds of millions for that year. Madden/FIFA will still be on the best seller charts no matter how little was improved year-over-year.

You can say "Microsoft has the money that they don't need that extra billion a year" or something. But I don't buy it. Microsoft has been extremely hands off with much smaller studios and projects. Now we think they're going to start messing with one of the biggest IPs in gaming that generates an insane amount of money, mainly because it releases annually? Especially when it makes a ton of sense for Game Pass to have that one guaranteed massive game every year.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Dusk Golem also said Death Stranding 2 was in the works, and he has a pretty good track record.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Buy Midnight School Walk 真夜中学園さんぽ | Xbox

"I've been having strange dreams lately... dreams of a girl in pain..." In the summer of third year of high school, the movie club which he belongs in crisis of survival! Have make movie until Cultural festival, if don’t make impress the audience, movie club will be forced to abolish. To him...

Comprar o Fairy Elements | Xbox

What awaits at the end of an adventure that spans over 200 years in a fantasy RPG?

Buy OneShot: World Machine Edition | Xbox

The World Knows You Exist. Experience an adventure game with puzzles that go beyond its own window and establish a unique bond with the main character. In OneShot: World Machine Edition, you discover a strange computer operating system with a self-contained world installed. Explore this world...

Here's your new JP games, folks. Pulled from Judge in the Xbox JP thread lol

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
Sledgehammer's might not be as big/good as Infinity Ward or Treyarch's games. However there's a reason they're growing. Even a "bad" Call of Duty is still selling 20 million copies and generating at least a billion dollars annually. Especially WW2, that was a huge success.
www.playstationlifestyle.net

Call of Duty: WWII Has One of the Best Selling Weekends For a Call of Duty Title - PlayStation LifeStyle

Activision has released the opening weekend Call of Duty WW2 sales numbers, and the game is now the second best selling in the franchises history.
venturebeat.com

Call of Duty: WWII has already made $1 billion in sales

We're thrilled to announce the return of GamesBeat Next, hosted in San Francisco this October, where we will explore the theme of "Playing the Edge." Apply to speak here and learn more about sponsorship opportunities here. At the event, we will also announce 25 top game startups as the 2024 Game...

This is what I don't think people really are getting. It's like people who say EA should stop making FIFA or Madden annually and actually improve the games because the games are too similar. That doesn't change the fact that if they don't release FIFA or Madden they're missing out on hundreds of millions for that year. Madden/FIFA will still be on the best seller charts no matter how little was improved year-over-year.

You can say "Microsoft has the money that they don't need that extra billion a year" or something. But I don't buy it. Microsoft has been extremely hands off with much smaller studios and projects. Now we think they're going to start messing with one of the biggest IPs in gaming that generates an insane amount of money, mainly because it releases annually? Especially when it makes a ton of sense for Game Pass to have that one guaranteed massive game every year.

To me, if Activision keeps only developing COD like they are doing now would be quite disappointing. I had hoped that with the acquisiton, teams at Activision would create more stuff than just COD, GamePass as a subscription service needs games constantly, so I hope that they let some of the studios/ teams to work on new IPs or other games.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
To me, if Activision keeps only developing COD like they are doing now would be quite disappointing. I had hoped that with the acquisiton, teams at Activision would create more stuff than just COD, GamePass as a subscription service needs games constantly, so I hope that they let some of the studios/ teams to work on new IPs or other games.

It would be nice but CoD prints money, and is one of the reasons why Activision is as big as they are (a long with King of course). To not release CoD with as much frequency as it has been is a huge money loss. Which I am fine with, I don't care about that side of things, but looking at it from a business perspective, it is hard to argue against that.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I mean they are creating what Game Pass needs. One massive game (the best selling game the majority of the years) onto Game Pass every single year. That's huge.

You don't hamper a franchise like Call of Duty to try something cute like a new IP.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
It would be nice but CoD prints money, and is one of the reasons why Activision is as big as they are (a long with King of course). To not release CoD with as much frequency as it has been is a huge money loss. Which I am fine with, I don't care about that side of things, but looking at it from a business perspective, it is hard to argue against that.

Yeah obviously if they keep selling from a business perspective it makes sense. It's gonna be interesting to see how much affects them not having a mainline CoD game next year.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Pc game pass was always cheaper and still is, that's the major difference.

That part I keep forgetting about and on the surface it does look unfair.

But in reality PC Game Pass is cheaper because it doesn't include Gold and PC has much bigger competition with things like Amazon/Epic giving games away for free and all the crazy Steam sales. And in general PC games are just cheaper than consoles games anyway. If MS made it more expensive it would be dead on arrival.

Oct 25, 2017
Tiago doesn't insult anyone, he is just unhappy with the Japanese offerings on xbox. And its hard to argue against that :P But he means well. More people insult him than he does to anyone else.
This was always the part that got me..he don't be attacking NONE of y'all. Says his opinion, some ppl take it too far and throw shade on him he ignores it rinse and repeat. It's fucked up. Just ignore him if it bothers someone that much

Oct 25, 2017
This was always the part that got me..he don't be attacking NONE of y'all. Says his opinion, some ppl take it too far and throw shade on him he ignores it rinse and repeat. It's fucked up. Just ignore him if it bothers someone that much

If you want to ignore the part where he is pedantic and arrogant to anyone who disagrees with him, sure. I dont think anyone should be banned, but i also dont really like being treated like an idiot

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I don't think you're gonna see MS step in and cordon off certain studios as "no CoD zones" or anything like that. The status quo will probably stay the same on that front, unless the series' commercial performance starts to plummet.

But if for example some Infinity Ward devs get a great idea for something new, Xbox should be able to facilitate that. Expand the studio to support an additional project or whatever.

Respawn and more recently Deviation are studios created by ex-CoD veterans that got tired of making the same game over and over. Ideally under MS ownership you wouldn't need to worry about your best talent leaving for greener pastures, since you have the capabilities to support their ideas in-house.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to ignore the part where he is pedantic and arrogant to anyone who disagrees with him, sure. I dont think anyone should be banned, but i also dont really like being treated like an idiot
I don't really think that calls for bans or insults either but even than if that's the case ignore the dude man. Idky ppl ignore(heh) that feature

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The problem with the postings are the wrong facts. It's not true that there have been no JRPGs added to Game Pass since mid-2021. And speaking of broader content from Japan, Japan-inspired or from other places in East Asia, there has actually been a lot of diversity in Game Pass offerings which I posted about before as well. TGS is coming soon and I expect more there.

Never called for a ban or anything. I just don't engage anymore.

Last edited:

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
I don't think you're gonna see MS step in and cordon off certain studios as "no CoD zones" or anything like that. The status quo will probably stay the same on that front, unless the series' commercial performance starts to plummet.

But if for example some Infinity Ward devs get a great idea for something new, Xbox should be able to facilitate that. Expand the studio to support an additional project or whatever.

Respawn and more recently Deviation are studios created by ex-CoD veterans that got tired of making the same game over and over. Ideally under MS ownership you wouldn't need to worry about your best talent leaving for greener pastures, since you have the capabilities to support their ideas in-house.

Yeah obviously they aren't gonna tell X studio "you can't make CoD anymore" but as you mention , if those studios want to create something different, hopefully Xbox's leadership helps with that.

As far as I know, every franchise under Activison had to be a billion dollar franchise , my hope is that with Xbox there is more creative freedom.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The problem with the postings are the wrong facts. It's not true that there have been no JRPGs added to Game Pass since mid-2021. And speaking of broader content from Japan, Japan-inspired or from other places in East Asia, there has actually been a lot of diversity in Game Pass offerings which I posted about before as well. TGS is coming soon and I expect more there.
pushing back on something you disagree with is the way to go. Banning someone for "wrong facts" is 🙅‍♂️🙅‍♂️🙅‍♂️
Yeah obviously they aren't gonna tell X studio "you can't make CoD anymore" but as you mention , if those studios want to create something different, hopefully Xbox's leadership helps with that.

As far as I know, every franchise under Activison had to be a billion dollar franchise , my hope is that with Xbox there is more creative freedom.
Yeah exact, like someone brought up Pentiment a couple pages back. You probably wouldn't have seen a game like that while Obsidian was independent, they would have been all hands on deck for whatever their next major game was. Xbox gave them a bit more breathing room

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021

Speak for yourself.

This poor console player is more than happy with the games coming to console GP this month.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
Tiago doesn't insult anyone, he is just unhappy with the Japanese offerings on xbox. And its hard to argue against that :P But he means well. More people insult him than he does to anyone else.
I agree all opinions should be allowed, absolutely. And no one should insult anyone because of those views. However I do find he can be very condescending when responding to anyone who disagrees.

But again, it's all part of an open discussion forum. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.