• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait until the showcase to make any conclusion about this being an empty year for Xbox. I think it will, but they could still show some games that are releasing this year to surprise us.
This is true. Like most ppl would expect forza for example. That would just reiterate another Xbox strategy problem of the holiday stuffers but at least it would be some games from them

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Idk bout no Xbox doomed or Xbox gonna fail or whatever but the hoops and rings getting jumped thru to not call out their 2022 is weird…even if starfield and redfall made it…it's still been empty this year
It is an terrible underwhelming first party lineup lol. Again, no one is saying that. But it's not literally zero. And Xbox isn't just first party. I think the weirdest thing about all this angst is that I've been expecting a barren 2022 since 2020 lol (or at least aware of being a possibility). We've heard about Xbox's 2023 since at least the beginning of LAST year. And we knew that 2022 was going to be light ever since we learned that Avowed was never 2022 and Everwild was rebooted (and also probably never 2022). Iono.

Again, maybe we spent too much time following this stuff in detail. I'm still disappointed about Redfall and Starfield delays, in isolation, but Xbox having an empty year *first party release schedule* is something I came to peace with early last year. And honestly, most of these posters should have come to the same conclusion too. That was the tenor of discussions late December and through many of the early months of 2022. I'm just not sure why people are surprised now.

The real shame is that so many of us allowed ourselves to be taken by the hopium lol. And that's also why I'm not falling into this "Wolfenstein 3 and 5 other games are coming soon!" trap now either :p

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It is a terrible first party lineup lol. Again, no one is saying that. But it's not literally zero. But Xbox isn't just first party. I think the weirdest thing about all this angst is that I've been expecting a barren 2022 since 2020 lol. We've heard about Xbox's 2023 since at least the beginning of LAST year. And we knew that 2022 was going to be light ever since we learned that Avowed was never 2022 and Everwild was rebooted (and also probably never 2022). Iono. Again, maybe we spent too much time following this stuff in detail. I'm still disappointed about Redfall and Starfield delays, in isolation, but Xbox having an empty year is something I came to peace with early last year lol. And honestly, most of these posters should have come to the same conclusion too.

The real shame is that so many of us allowed ourselves to be taken by the hopium lol. And that's also why I'm not falling into this "Wolfenstein 3 and 5 other games are coming soon!" trap now either :p
I ain't gonna hold u I expected an empty first half but redfall summer last year played me lol I thought I'd be playing that by like august at least. It's just funny the ONLY two things we had timetables on got the boot same time lol

And yea I'm not on no wolf 3 train lol

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I ain't gonna hold u I expected an empty first half but redfall summer last year played me lol I thought I'd be playing that by like august at least. It's just funny the ONLY two things we had timetables on got the boot same time lol

And yea I'm not on no wolf 3 train lol
lol yea, I was thinking a couple days ago about the decision to announce the delays this way. Did they just get decided that day and they thought they needed to get the word out ASAP before they had time to prepare anything to soften the blow? Or did they actually plan this for any amount of time? Kinda weird. In many recent cases with an upcoming showing for your game, devs have quietly delayed their games by announcing new dates along with their trailer. Was that not an option here because people did expect Redfall imminently?

Not sure, perhaps. I think the WAY in which it was announced contributed greatly to the angst, much more than the actual idea of the delay IMO. It came without the normal messaging guardrails that help people feel like things are in control and going in a good direction. Oh well. It is what it is. ╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭

Shun the unbeliever! Shun!

🤪

In all seriousness, great posts, totally agree. Games are games, 6 months is slightly sad, move on.
Nooo!! I'm getting shunned as hard from the first party thread as first party games are being shunned from the 2022 lineup!

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Haha thanks for this. Very confusing to read takes here about how MS is screwing up because... Sony is doing business as usual? lol.. As though Sony responding to MS buying Activision and adding EA Play to Game Pass or any number of smaller things is in any way unexpected or concerning. And that is just as true in the opposite direction, as well.

And let me explain why Xbox's 2022 is not disappointing. In isolation, Starfield and Redfall's delays - particularly out of nowhere with no asset or positive news to go with them - are personally disappointing. But, just like every other delay in recent memory, I got to "Ok, good. Hope it's great when it launches". But Xbox has no games this year!! Uh.. false. That's false even if you're just talking about first party exclusives, where we may be looking at 3-4 games. Yes, mostly smaller. Yes, Grounded is playable. Still exist. (Theoretically, pending delays lol).

But let's NOT just talk about first party exclusives. Please. I know this is the first party thread, but we HAVE GOT to stop pretending like the entirety of the console universe begins and ends at first party games that can't be played anywhere else. I do not care about exclusivity. I DON'T CARE. Not one bit. Also, why do I care that 1st party games are 1st party games? Can I not play a game if it's third party? Does it count for less gamer cred? Do I get different achievement points for them? Do I miss out on some shiny home screen icon? Don't think so. There are a lot of games to play in 2022 on Xbox. It's a great year to be on the platform (again, delays - some from 2020/2021 BEYOND 2022 now - notwithstanding). I had a great time on Xbox in 2019, wherein I played 30 minutes of Minecraft Dungeons and put off Gears 5 until 2020.

The only relevant perk is that they're on Game Pass day 1. And it would be so disappointing that there are no games on Game Pass releasi-..... oh. Wait, actually, this year has already been fantastic for Game Pass and somewhere around half of the big new releases still scheduled to come to Xbox this year are already announced for Game Pass.

I understand disappointment about the delays. Or about Halo. Or about whatever small specific thing we're upset about. I think those are valid issues and disappointments and annoyances. The concerns aBoUT tH3 StAtE oF xBOx!!, however, make no sense IMO.

June 12th! lets go SF :D

Oct 25, 2017
lol yea, I was thinking a couple days ago about the decision to announce the delays this way. Did they just get decided that day and they thought they needed to get the word out ASAP before they had time to prepare anything to soften the blow? Or did they actually plan this for any amount of time? Kinda weird. In many recent cases with an upcoming showing for your game, devs have quietly delayed their games by announcing new dates along with their trailer. Was that not an option here because people did expect Redfall imminently?

Not sure, perhaps. I think the WAY in which it was announced contributed greatly to the angst, much more than the actual idea of the delay IMO. It came without the normal messaging guardrails that help people feel like things are in control and going in a good direction. Oh well. It is what it is. ╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭

Nooo!! I'm getting shunned as hard from the first party thread as first party games are being shunned from the 2022 lineup!
Ice cold 😭

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
You are making a lot of (kind of offensive) assumptions. Nobody wants Sony to leave the gaming market, where the heck did I suggest it? And - in case you didn't notice - it's not Sony the problem. It's Xbox literally losing it's most beloved, historic, brands and studios to Sony.
Yes, Bethesda is beloved by the gaming enthusiasts. Blizzard is beloved by gaming enthusiasts... pc gaming enthusiasts, mainly. Activison? Nobody loves Activision. Didn't I specifically criticized the fact that Xbox is too pc-centered? Didn't I explicitly said that Xbox should try to understand and follow the console market's rules, that are deeply different from the pc market's one?
The gaming market is changing, consoles are becoming less and less important, but the consoles are still the foundations for what's coming next.

Personally I would now like agreements with oriental software houses.
However, I also think, that differentiating the offer is the best thing. It's not a bad thing to follow the PC market. There are a lot of players out there who prefer to play on the console but, at the same time, are attracted to the games that often come out on that platform. After all, xbox is not just consoles

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Haha thanks for this. Very confusing to read takes here about how MS is screwing up because... Sony is doing business as usual? lol.. As though Sony responding to MS buying Activision and adding EA Play to Game Pass or any number of smaller things is in any way unexpected or concerning. And that is just as true in the opposite direction, as well.

And let me explain why Xbox's 2022 is not disappointing. In isolation, Starfield and Redfall's delays - particularly out of nowhere with no asset or positive news to go with them - are personally disappointing. But, just like every other delay in recent memory, I got to "Ok, good. Hope it's great when it launches". But Xbox has no games this year!! Uh.. false. That's false even if you're just talking about first party exclusives, where we may be looking at 3-4 games. Yes, mostly smaller. Yes, Grounded is playable. Still exist. (Theoretically, pending delays lol).

But let's NOT just talk about first party exclusives. Please. I know this is the first party thread, but we HAVE GOT to stop pretending like the entirety of the console universe begins and ends at first party games that can't be played anywhere else. I do not care about exclusivity. I DON'T CARE. Not one bit. Also, why do I care that 1st party games are 1st party games? Can I not play a game if it's third party? Does it count for less gamer cred? Do I get different achievement points for them? Do I miss out on some shiny home screen icon? Don't think so. There are a lot of games to play in 2022 on Xbox. It's a great year to be on the platform (again, delays - some from 2020/2021 BEYOND 2022 now - notwithstanding). I had a great time on Xbox in 2019, wherein I played 30 minutes of Minecraft Dungeons and put off Gears 5 until 2020.

The only relevant perk is that they're on Game Pass day 1. And it would be so disappointing that there are no games on Game Pass releasi-..... oh. Wait, actually, this year has already been fantastic for Game Pass and somewhere around half of the big new releases still scheduled to come to Xbox this year are already announced for Game Pass.

I understand disappointment about the delays. Or about Halo. Or about whatever small specific thing we're upset about. I think those are valid issues and disappointments and annoyances. The concerns aBoUT tH3 StAtE oF xBOx!!, however, make no sense IMO.

We really back to exclusives don't matter and trying to handwave first party stuff?

Lol ok….

XBox's 2022 is absolutely disappointing so far and the first party landscape for the rest of the year isn't encouraging. Grounded 1.0? Come on…

2022 and the "holy trinity of XBox" may have to do the heavy lifting AGAIN in the 2nd half? Sure. I'm over it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
We really back to exclusives don't matter and trying to handwave first party stuff?

Lol ok….

XBox's 2022 is absolutely disappointing so far and the first party landscape for the rest of the year isn't encouraging. Grounded 1.0? Come on…

2022 and the "holy trinity of XBox" may have to do the heavy lifting AGAIN in the 2nd half? Sure. I'm over it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
We're back in the 2010's again baby!

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
User banned (1 day): Hostility towards another member

🤡

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Lol ok….

Just for fun, I did a search for posts under my name using the search terms "exclusives" and "overrated". Yes. Returned results where I have said and explained in detail why I think exclusives are overrated in Xbox OT 9, Xbox OT 13, Xbox OT 15, Xbox OT 17, and yes Xbox OT 18 too. That's not including all the times I explained why exclusives are overemphasized in this forum and broader internet discourse, without using the word overrated.

I went back to OT 4, wherein I said the comparably more measured: "I'd be much, much more pleased with 2-3 good to great titles every year regardless of size from 1st party (and personally, I don't even care whether they're exclusive or not)." [Rather than 6 every year] Kinda funny in retrospect lol.

And none of that is even the point here today, where I DIDN'T say exclusives don't matter - just that exclusives ARE NOT THE ONLY GAMES ON MY CONSOLE. HELLO??? (Though, again, yes, exclusives are overrated.)

00Quan[T]

May 12, 2022

Lol ok….

The reality is, the year is weak as of now, only the showcase can change that... maybe.

The delay is great for those games, it's bad for this year in general. My take is that they took this path knowing they had other games that could carry the rest of the year somewhat, of course no game will be the size of Starfield, but I refuse to believe they took this bullet completely unprepared for it.

The showcase will tell us all we need to know, I'm keeping my expectations in check right now.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with their classic franchises coming through. Plenty platforms lean heavy on their big franchises. Damn the window for what's allowed to show first party quality is so narrow. So many types of games that aren't allowed.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
Personally I would now like agreements with oriental software houses.
However, I also think, that differentiating the offer is the best thing. It's not a bad thing to follow the PC market. There are a lot of players out there who prefer to play on the console but, at the same time, are attracted to the games that often come out on that platform. After all, xbox is not just consoles

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they shouldn't differentiate the offer and/or ignore the pc market, quite the contrary, actually. What I'm saying is that they should pay more attention to the console market and don't act like it works the same way the pc market works. E.G.: lack of marketing, disregard for the importance of brand recognition, no marketing... Did I already say "no marketing"?
Besides that, I will never understand why, for instance, they chose to develop two (three) RTS spin offs of Halo and Gears. Halo and Gears weren't (aren't?) very popular IPs on pc, and the RTSs they launched were kind of... mh... not on par with the standards of other, more "hardcore", RTS. Plus, that's a genre the console gamers snub and that's not easy to play with a controller. I mean, they try to appeal to both the console gamers and the pc gamers with two product that do not please any of the two player bases.
Also, I'm just pissed off by the fact that they havent' published a Halo RPG, a Halo action adventure based on the Spartn-II program story, a Gears survival horror... lol
Anyway, they are finally receiving the funding the Xbox division needs to thrive, there are still a bunch of issues that need to be fixed, I just hope that they stop underestimating the importance of Xbox's past IPs, especially when there aren't many of them.

Sure. Figured I'll just post it here for everyone since it isn't super active and I had to dig it up.

Note that they have various projects listed as both confirmed and speculation?? I wouldn't put a ton of stock in that stuff, but the list of known projects is good.

Xbox Projects thread [XboxEra]
Thanks, I think that we should make a comment with all that rumored games (not a copypasta of that link, of course) and get it threadmarked...?

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020

Good approach! I generally don't allow myself to fall into the "hopium" category. I only "hoped" for Starfield in November because Todd said it was coming! Ugh.

As for folks hopped up on Hopium for things like Wolfenstein 3 or an acquisition announcement (lol!) at the showcase…. well, you only have yourselves to blame when the tears of disappointment roll down your cheeks when these things don't appear. 😆 But hey, if these things actually happen feel free to quote this post and I'll gladly own the "L".

The Starfield letdown has sort of washed its way out of my system now and I'm just ready to embrace whatever Phil and the Xbox team have to show us on June 12th. Can't wait to be a part of the Fleet of Hype. I think folks will be surprised how quickly the good feelings around Xbox can return if its a truly kickass show.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Weathering the doom and gloom and countering with shitposts
598775bfc7b6c740420938a3072bc521146de870.gif

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Since GING is absent I have to remind everyone Contraband will be a banger. It's been too many pages.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Hope this isnt a subtweet to Obsidian / Microsoft at large and I know MS is basically full hybrid now but afaik they are still requiring some days in office?

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
If Forza is 2023 they should honestly just announce that now. Yeah they haven't said 2022 but if they slap a 2023 on whatever they show, people are going to be talking about that after the presentation. Better to get the disappointment out of the way.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

The fact that games in general are going to be released throughout the year doesn't mean that Xbox isn't having an awful year so far.

And before you say anything, you can look up my reaction to the Starfield delay and you'll see that I agree with you.

Redfall being delayed is the least shocking announcement. The Starfield delay is not that surprising, if I'm honest, but it's a genuine bummer.

That said, there's always something to play.
That's a downside, for sure, and Starfield left a huge hole in the line-up, but Game Pass is still right there.

But just pointing to Game Pass and saying therefore all concerns are invalid feels a bit like an attempt to distract from the problem and saying that the only relevant perk are the day 1 releases feels a bit disingenuous, too.

When you say that, you disregard all the different reasons why people subscribe to Game Pass. Everyone has different tastes and Game Pass still isn't at a place where it can even cover most people's preferences. That's why we always have a bunch of people being disappointed by the new announcements every month, simply because it's not at a point where it can please everyone. Not to mention that there are absolutely subscription filler games you can also get everywhere else if you wait a bit or already got in the past. My EGS library is pretty big and I don't think I have bought a single game on that store.

And with these thoughts in the back of your mind, I have no idea how you can look at this

FSqF0R0XEAEhNJ1

and genuinely say "I don't understand the concern, it's gonna be great!". Because to me, with neither Stalker 2 nor Atomic Heart likely releasing this year, this looks kinda dreadful and if I wasn't subscribed until early 2024, I'd definitely cancel my subscription after playing through Plague Tale and maybe pick it back up to try out Forza, whenever that comes out.

And all that doesn't even go into day 1 first-party releases supposedly being the main draw of Game Pass and why a lot of people have subscribed to it in the first place.

So, please, let's not be dismissive of others and mock their tone just because you're fine with the situation.

At least there's Wolfenstein 3 coming out later this year.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Seems like it did pretty good tbh. 4 million for a new IP plus the Game Pass money is a nice beginning. Means lots of people played it. So, hopefully a sequel can build on that base.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Hope this isnt a subtweet to Obsidian / Microsoft at large and I know MS is basically full hybrid now but afaik they are still requiring some days in office?
I can't speak to anything about Obsidian or other studios, but Microsoft overall is not mandating anything about work arrangements. It's entirely up to each organization and team to decide what works best for them.

My group, for example, is 100% flexible right now. Some people are 100% remote, maybe even living remotely, others choose to come into the office multiple days per week, I personally just come in one day per week usually and occasionally come in other days.

Some organizations / studios might decide differently, but even within an organization or studio which decides that some people must / should be back at the office <x> days/week, there's always room for exceptions for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.