• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Some A+ doomers coming out of the woodwork over the last few weeks in this thread, gotta say
OKAY GUYS
This is our hype galaxy header. What do you think? Any suggestion is welcome.

zlGG4Tr.jpg
All aboard the hype fleet!

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Turn 10 Studios indicated progress on gameplay as early as December 2019, with Creative Director Chris Esaki detailing studio-wide playtesting underway for the "new experience" under the Motorsport team. Esaki continued, elaborating on various fundamental features, including new tire and suspension models at play.

Really think this puts that leak in context. Shows just how iterative the process is getting to release date.

The reveal for this game is everything I've been waiting for.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Sony is going to continue to exist and make its own deals with gaming companies for a long time to come. It's best to have some perspective about this and not take every piece of positive Sony news as a personal injury.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Perception becomes very important in this case. To the public, it seems to make more effect an AAA title of 1 year ago, rather than beautiful AA or indie day and date.
I don't think this is true. The value of these services is 80% driven by Day 1 releases.

Look at the PS+ Collection that debuted with the PS5. Nobody really cared, even though that lineup was chock-full of solid gold bangers.

I think adding Ubi+ is a nice get for PS+++, and arguably more valuable than Xbox's EA deal, but I don't think these are really meaningful in terms of driving sustained subscriber interest.

kruczynski

Sep 21, 2020
The whole point is that Xbox is also acquiring IPs and entire publishers that are beloved by gaming enthusiasts, they're doing exactly what you're asking them to do.

Some of you seriously wouldn't be happy unless Sony left the gaming market. Sony is going to continue to make moves to compete with the massive moves Xbox is making, you have to accept that.

You are making a lot of (kind of offensive) assumptions. Nobody wants Sony to leave the gaming market, where the heck did I suggest it? And - in case you didn't notice - it's not Sony the problem. It's Xbox literally losing it's most beloved, historic, brands and studios to Sony.
Yes, Bethesda is beloved by the gaming enthusiasts. Blizzard is beloved by gaming enthusiasts... pc gaming enthusiasts, mainly. Activison? Nobody loves Activision. Didn't I specifically criticized the fact that Xbox is too pc-centered? Didn't I explicitly said that Xbox should try to understand and follow the console market's rules, that are deeply different from the pc market's one?
The gaming market is changing, consoles are becoming less and less important, but the consoles are still the foundations for what's coming next.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The whole point is that Xbox is also acquiring IPs and entire publishers that are beloved by gaming enthusiasts, they're doing exactly what you're asking them to do.

Some of you seriously wouldn't be happy unless Sony left the gaming market. Sony is going to continue to make moves to compete with the massive moves Xbox is making, you have to accept that.

So true!

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I think adding Ubi+ is a nice get for PS+++, and arguably more valuable than Xbox's EA deal, but I don't think these are really meaningful in terms of driving sustained subscriber interest.
Technically they got "Ubisoft Classics", not Ubisoft+, which has a far smaller lineup. IMO the EA deal is still a much bigger lineup, with the sports games especially being big to the more casual audience

Oct 12, 2020
Some A+ doomers coming out of the woodwork over the last few weeks in this thread, gotta say

Truth.

I'm also reminded how much "angst" is tied together with "youth". Perspective can only be gained through experience. So many of the doom-filled comments are arising out of a "current snapshot" mentality. An examination of the broader picture reveals that Xbox is still set up for tremendous success in the not-too-distant future. I'd actually suggest they've ALREADY been quite successful this generation, despite recent and well publicized missteps.Toxically positive as I am, no way am I going to sugar coat the Starfield delay. I don't want to be too hard on the younguns though….as a whole, society is wired for immediate gratification.

Watching the Xbox content creators (many of whom I like and admire) snipe at one another on Twitter has to be one of the most bizarre things I've seen in relation to this hobby in quite a while. Everyone would do well to chill and either go touch grass or hug a tree or one's pet. Or something even more radical like play some games. I know, crazy right?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Turn 10 Studios indicated progress on gameplay as early as December 2019, with Creative Director Chris Esaki detailing studio-wide playtesting underway for the "new experience" under the Motorsport team. Esaki continued, elaborating on various fundamental features, including new tire and suspension models at play.

Really think this puts that leak in context. Shows just how iterative the process is getting to release date.

The reveal for this game is everything I've been waiting for.

I cant wait to see it and hear more :)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring over a Sensitive Topic
Compared to the whole Sony and their stand on the abortion rights this whole xbox and games in 2022 feel so small.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I don't really think that would put it to rest at all, other than as a literal statement. The articles and spicy internet/YouTube/podcast takes are going to write themselves if Microsoft end up leaning on Forza and a collection of Gears remakes in 2022.

I'm excited to see a next gen Motorsport running on a next-gen engine, but FM7 sold (I believe) less than 2 million copies - and that was despite being one of the big 4K titles MS showed off for the One X. Some of that was just the series feeling stagnant, but some of it was also that "sim-lite" racers just don't move the needle like other genres... or even other kinds of racing games. It's very unlikely to be the type of game to carry the holiday for them unless it looks amazing and seriously grabs attention.

Assuming no other first-party projects have surprise 2022 dates (not impossible, but I'm not putting money on it either), Xbox are going to have to pull something out of their ass. The one possible "dark horse" I see is if the rumoured Halo BR thing makes 2022 AND looks meaty and awesome. But that's rumour on top of rumour right now, and it's also difficult to say if months of rough headlines about Infinite would negatively impact interest in it.

I didn't mean in the sense "noone on the internet will complain [aside: ROFL], Forza is totally sufficient for their fall lineup" - I just meant that for all the less-informed people who are hearing bad Twitter takes right now that "MS has no 2022 games!!!", showing Forza first clearly shows that they heard wrong and will raise interest in the rest of the show.

I suspect that sometime on June 12th a lot of folks will suddenly feel better.

Lol indeed, can't wait.

After listening to Xbox podcasts all weekend, I have my extensive (and I think pretty well-researched) predictions for the showcase. It's early, but I think I can almost lock these in now. I've broken my list up into "Near Locks," "Likely," and "Unlikely/Would Be Surprises," broken down studio by studio. Without further ado:

This is a good rundown, well thought out. Some specific thoughts:

- I'm very confident the new Coalition project is not Gears remasters. This is like 2018 E3 when Phil specifically said "next generation of consoles" and it really did confirm Series S... They made a public post about multiple projects because it means something very specific. If it was just Gears content they could have made that statement any time in the past for their work on Gears Tactics or something.

- I think we are nearly guaranteed to see a new Minecraft / Mojang project, but not for 2022 release and not likely to be something people in this thread care about.

OKAY GUYS
This is our hype galaxy header. What do you think? Any suggestion is welcome.

zlGG4Tr.jpg

Love it, my only question is where do the 200 user icons go?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
You are making a lot of (kind of offensive) assumptions. Nobody wants Sony to leave the gaming market, where the heck did I suggest it? And - in case you didn't notice - it's not Sony the problem. It's Xbox literally losing it's most beloved, historic, brands and studios to Sony.
Yes, Bethesda is beloved by the gaming enthusiasts. Blizzard is beloved by gaming enthusiasts... pc gaming enthusiasts, mainly. Activison? Nobody loves Activision. Didn't I specifically criticized the fact that Xbox is too pc-centered? Didn't I explicitly said that Xbox should try to understand and follow the console market's rules, that are deeply different from the pc market's one?
The gaming market is changing, consoles are becoming less and less important, but the consoles are still the foundations for what's coming next.
This is such an overreaction. PS got a timed exclusivity on KOTOR and bought Bungie (giving them a very favorable deal and allowing them to stay multiplatform), and now Xbox is "losing it's most beloved, historic, brands and studios to Sony." Come on.... And like I've pointed out already, MS is acquiring historic Sony IPs like Crash and Spyro. They're both doing it! MS can't stop Sony from doing it and Sony can't stop MS from doing it.

And I'm sorry, but Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard games are beloved on consoles, them being also beloved on PC is just a big bonus.

Oct 12, 2020
Competition keeps them both adding value for gamers, win win :)

Indeed. :)

I find it beyond strange that folks seem aghast (even upset) that the competition is making their own moves they think they need to COMPETE with what Xbox is doing. As you say, gamers will win overall. If I'm finally convinced that I need to buy my first ever PlayStation to enjoy my gaming hobby to it's fullest, I'll do so.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm still playing Hades, FH5 and Halo Infinite, and barely touched Psychonauts 2. I'm good with 2022 being a down year since I just get to keep playing those + whatever surprises come in this year.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I don't think that would work well both from a game design perspective and financial success one. Games such as project cars 3 have shown that trying to cater to arcade and simulator audiences simultaneously never works, since casuals think the game is to much of a sim, whereas sim fans believe it's not enough of a sim. They want a sim experience with tired changes, penalty system, a quick menu to get racing on a track and so forth imo.

I am glad Chris seems to understand that. He once said (paraphrasing) that some sim games are more focusing on Motorsport than Forza and those dont even have Motorsport in the name. I am happy he won't make the same mistake the previous creative director did with FM7. Leave stuff like mods to FH and focus on what sim fans actually want.

Don't get me wrong the sim audience is smaller than the audience of arcade racers. So naturally you'd think finding a balance and getting both audience to buy your game is smart. However whenever a game tried to link them together they failed, because the audience interested in "hybrids" seem to be much smaller than either sim or arcade fanbase.
Interesting, well not much chance for any fun ancillary stuff if the hardcore racing crowd insists on only menus and T10 follows.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
This is such an overreaction. PS got a timed exclusivity on KOTOR and bought Bungie (giving them a very favorable deal and allowing them to stay multiplatform), and now Xbox is "losing it's most beloved, historic, brands and studios to Sony." Come on.... And like I've pointed out already, MS is acquiring historic Sony IPs like Crash and Spyro. They're both doing it! MS can't stop Sony from doing it and Sony can't stop MS from doing it.

And I'm sorry, but Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard games are beloved on consoles, them being also beloved on PC is just a big bonus.

All's fair in love and war! ;)

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm surprised there's not more talk of Rogue Legacy 2 here. It's an Xbox exclusive and it's a great game with amazing reviews.

SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
I don't know why it's so hard to understand that people are rightfully frustrated about the current state of Xbox line-up, If you're not, then thank god for you. People aren't talking about 2023, nor the future, nor xCloud, nor 2024+, nor Activision, nor Bethesta, they're talking about the 2022 year of their platform of choice which by any measurement and standard is, until now, sub-par.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't know why it's so hard to understand that people are rightfully frustrated about the current state of Xbox line-up, If you're not, then thank god for you. People aren't talking about 2023, nor the future, nor xCloud, nor 2024+, nor Activision, nor Bethesta, they're talking about the 2022 year of their platform of choice which by any measurement and standard is, until now, sub-par.
People are talking about a lot of things.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Indeed. :)

I find it beyond strange that folks seem aghast (even upset) that the competition is making their own moves they think they need to COMPETE with what Xbox is doing. As you say, gamers will win overall. If I'm finally convinced that I need to buy my first ever PlayStation to enjoy my gaming hobby to it's fullest, I'll do so.

Yeps, competition breads added value for gamers which is great.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
i bought it and played for a little but really need to sit down and grind. It's not like I'm busy or anything either lol

been watching moonmoon play it a lot
I sat down with it over the weekend and I'm having a blast. It feels like it's balanced very well and I'm making solid progress without having to really grind. There's like 4 or 5 classes that I really enjoy playing and offer a lot of variety in gameplay.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah I don't get the reactions from some. If this drives more impetus from MS at a competitive level, it benefits everyone. That's the whole point and why having a competitive Xbox this gen is great.

Yeah it's great Xbox as a whole is doing so well, then Sony making moves also, makes Xbox then try even harder and round and round we go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.