• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I wish E3 was still relevant but unfortunately I feel like it is permanently the end if they cancelled the digital event. I do hope something similar to E3 can replace it in the future though where you can be live in person.
The moment everybody started doing their own show it lost a lot of the impact, follow that by two plus years of a pandemic where they can't even have the usual I just saw it coming. Hopefully they do indeed recover but i don't think until at best 2024

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
At least Bethesda seems to have their shit together. Thank god for them.

In before Redfall delay lol

A delay dose not mean the studio doesn't have their shit together, nearly every big AAA game released so far this year was delayed (some a number of times), most time it's just the normal dev type issues :)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I think the hands off approach is the right one, it's perfect when you have studios with years of experience and multiple projects shipped (Double Fine, Ninja Theory, Bethesda, Playground or Inxile).

But it can go the wrong way when you are forming a new studio (The Initiative) or the studio is very young and grows a lot very quickly (Undead Labs). In those cases you don't have a culture to nurture and protect yet, the culture is still being formed and it can go way off if you are very lenient. These studios require more orientation.

In any case, from both reports it sounds like Microsoft is stepping in when required (hiring Crystal Dynamics with The Initiative) or changing leadership and improving processes and practices (with Undead Labs). But of course, these things take time and you are going to make mistakes (even when you have the best intentions).

So, yes, it's a bad look, but I think we are going to keep reading similar reports for years (even more so when the Activision Blizzard deal closes). Microsoft has gone from almost zero to 100 in less than four years (2018, when they announced the first acquisitions). It's impossible to grow so much and so quickly without issues, specially when you are managing thousands of people doing creative work.

All in all, Microsoft is also creating its new and improved culture as a platform holder. And that is going to take at least all this generation.

Yeah def agree with the points above, also with the main point that once raised to Xbox they stepped in!. So many reports coming out of these game studios these days, i mean just look at SIE/Playstation / ABK ect.., i'm glad they are getting highlighted and changing things for the better in the gaming industry.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Ya, Weird West is not clicking for me. I like the world idea but the overall game just isnt clicking for me. I have pretty bad ADD in some contexts, so the lack of voiced dialogue (I understand its expensive) paired with the amount of talking there is, makes me lose complete focus. Also not a fan of the camera angle in this kind of game. Immersive sims always clicked for me in 1st and third person, it just isnt here. Ah well, hope others like it

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I just opened the Xbox/Game Pass app on PC and Tunic is nowhere to be seen on the front page. What?

Heck, not only is the "Day One Releases" section filled with old stuff, it starts with Crackdown 3, followed by Carrion, Lonely Downhill Mountains and The Bard's Tale. No offence to those games but it ain't right how they're treating Tunic.

Jan 31, 2022
The moment everybody started doing their own show it lost a lot of the impact, follow that by two plus years of a pandemic where they can't even have the usual I just saw it coming. Hopefully they do indeed recover but i don't think until at best 2024
I do think that developers and publishers is a better format since then they could announce games when they are ready to but E3 had a lot of great moments such as the Cyberpunk reveal with Keanu Reeves as well as a way to have a live audience and meet the developers. And it's also nice to have a week where you get most of the biggest announcement or reveals rather than having them spread out.

And true it probably won't be until 2024 until E3 comes back or we get something new that would replace E3 and have in person events.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I was gonna try out Weird West last night from NZ but it didn't work out… so instead I checked out Infernax on a whim thx to the small download size.

This game slaps! Side quests, a morality system, some light metroidvania elements… there's a lot more depth here than I was expecting, and the difficulty is just right.

These indie games are the backbone of GP for me. It'll obviously be nice to have more AAA tentpoles in the future but these are equally appealing to me.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I just opened the Xbox/Game Pass app on PC and Tunic is nowhere to be seen on the front page. What?

Heck, not only is the "Day One Releases" section filled with old stuff, it starts with Crackdown 3, followed by Carrion, Lonely Downhill Mountains and The Bard's Tale. No offence to those games but it ain't right how they're treating Tunic.
Feel like more an issue with cache or somehing like that within the app.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021

Fairly certain this is a common issue with the app in general. The cloud gaming section won't refresh the newly added section unless you log out and back in for some reason

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
State of decay 3 started development in 2018 and is still in preproduction and it is 2022 I hope the hard work that have put into the game is worth it when it eventually launches. BUT I think it is also important for Mircosoft to listen, learn, and adopt to issues that appear at studios and not try to sugar coat or ignore issues if they do appear.

It seems like SOD3 is a VERY ambitious title and I hope they can handle all the systems that they're building as they go into production.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
State of decay 3 started development in 2018 and is still in preproduction and it is 2022 I hope the hard work that have put into the game is worth it when it eventually launches. BUT I think it is also important for Mircosoft to listen, learn, and adopt to issues that appear at studios and not try to sugar coat or ignore issues if they do appear.

It seems like SOD3 is a VERY ambitious title and I hope they can handle all the systems that they're building as they go into production.

Yeah, as I said in the thread about the article, I think Microsoft should continue with their hands off approach related to studio's direction and creativity, but management and HR issues they really need to dive in and not let studios handle it themselves.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Try force stopping the app/reseting via settings, maybe?

Not at home so can't check.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The only news out of XGS these days is about bad news.

They just look incompetent at this point. Clearly something needs to change.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020

Regarding the article, I am 100% confident in Microsoft cleaning up the harassments and misconduct issues. They said its been better the last 6 months.

But what is going on with the game itself? How is it still in pre-production 4 YEARS LATER? Like what is even happening. That is where the skepticism lies.

Weeks ago, when Rand said "Xbox might not have anything to show" regarding an event, I'm starting to think that hes right. I don't think some of these studios are actually making any real progress. Like at all.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Genre defining games is not easy to make, especially with some bad behavior

giphy.gif

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Mojang doesn't fuck up their handling of Xbox platforms challenge (extremely difficult)

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Next week Season One of Age of Empires 4 arrives:

- Ranked Seasons
- Content Editor beta (and Mods)
- Seasonal Events
- Megarandom Mode
- Major Balance changes
- A ton of quality-of-life changes

I hope the Xbox port is real because I would like to get back to AoE.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
On a side note, I enjoyed episode 2 of Halo. Its slower paced then the first and 100% focuses on world building and plot building. I think some of the reaction towards it goes to show how little people cared for anything in Halo but the action. Try to expand on anything else and its met with disdain. Def some iffy FX shots, but overall still solid. Also, Sorren is dope

yeah it's not all about the action for me, i love the lore and plot building and the fact this is going in it's own direction with Chief, as a fan of most of the books and animated shorts, this has be so good for me.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020

Apart from the disappointing news about Undead Labs and slow movement of The Initiative, what else is there? I might be out of the loop. Only other thing I can think of is the slow content cycle for Halo Infinite, but Season 2 is in one month so I can't really see the issue. I bet once the content really gets rolling, people forget about the lack of early content (just like they did with Apex Legends early on).

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Next week Season One of Age of Empires 4 arrives:

- Ranked Seasons
- Content Editor beta (and Mods)
- Seasonal Events
- Megarandom Mode
- Major Balance changes
- A ton of quality-of-life changes

I hope the Xbox port is real because I would like to get back to AoE.

Yep. That rumoured AoE Xbox port would be one of my biggest official announcements this year. Would be so awesome. Hope it happens.

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Like all of you, as soon as I saw that E3 is cancelled, I thought Xbox would once again wait until july.

But this is too far away so I'm going to assume the show is still planned for june.

Status
Not open for further replies.