• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick a name, any name

• Say Hola to Halo

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Age of Infinite Horizons

Votes: 144 29.3%
  • 20 years, 23 studios, Infinite Halo

Votes: 118 24.0%
  • Oh, I like it

Votes: 23 4.7%
  • …And the Horse You Rode In On

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Happy Anniversary Xbox!

Votes: 75 15.3%
  • You're safe now

Votes: 51 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Exactly. But I want everything to be close to Fable 1. Everyone likes Fable 2(me included) but it was far too easy compared to Fable 1. Especially the boss battles. But yea bring back armor and legenderies that are actually legenderies. And please.... Lets start off as a child. Fable is all about GROWTH... That's what makes it "magical." And make the will power more like Fable 1.

And based off the trailer, I'm glad we won't be getting ANYMORE Theresa. Was getting tired of her. But the story needs to be a mixture of light heartedness and being dark. That's how all the Fable games were.

yeah I agree. The first game was so full originality and I loved the whimsical medieval fantasy of it the most. Especially with the guild being in full swing and there being lots of other heroes walking around.

Whereas fable 2 onwards just felt worse and worse. I think it was the industrial revolution angle. Instead of showing how Technology could develop in a land filled with monsters and magic, they decided that all the heroes died and the guild was mostly forgotten along with all the monsters and magic. Leading it to becoming basically a stylized version of medieval britain. That just felt extremely lazy and uninspired comparing to how amazingly unique the world in the first game was.

The fact they seem to be going back to the medieval fantasy gives me hope. Hopefully theyre able to capture that whimsical colourful part of it. As for Theresa she's definitely gone. The fact that they said its a kind of soft reboot while it seems to be medival fantasy tells me they'll probably used the Spire to destroy the world again.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is a cloud company first and foremost. Of course whoever takes over won't shy away from cloud gaming, lol. That person will have to not only continue Phil's work, but also be able to foresee where gaming is going in the next 10 years and steer Xbox in that direction. Kind of like J Allard set the vision for Xbox 360/Xbox Live back in the day.

I agree but in my experience nothing is set in stone in the corporate world. Corporations fall in and out of love with various initiatives whenever there is a change in leadership.

Jul 17, 2018
yeah I agree. The first game was so full originality and I loved the whimsical medieval fantasy of it the most. Especially with the guild being in full swing and there being lots of other heroes walking around.
You felt really important growing up as a kid from Oakvale, being bought to the guild among different heros and learning how to be a hero. Growing from a kid, teenager and then adult in an medieval fantasy setting. Kinda like Harry Potter in a way. That's what I LOVE about Fable. Its about GROWTH and your decisions having an impact. Fable 1 had that a lot, Fable 2 a bit less and then Fable 3 not at all!

Whereas fable 2 onwards just felt worse and worse. I think it was the industrial revolution angle. Instead of showing how Technology could develop in a land filled with monsters and magic, they decided that all the heroes died and the guild was mostly forgotten along with all the monsters and magic. Leading it to becoming basically a stylized version of medieval britain. That just felt extremely lazy and uninspired comparing to how amazingly unique the world in the first game was.
I'm sorry but I don't think industrial theme works with fantasy setting. Yes, it could depend on the game/movie but I personally feel it doesn't. Fable 2 while a good game just felt "dead" compared to Fable 1. I don't know why they decided to get rid of the guild and heros. And yes, I agree it did feel lazy and uninspring. The world did not feel as "magical" compared to Fable 1. People who hype up Fable 2 as the best Fable game, just never played Fable 1 first. Guns DO NOT belong in a Fable game or any fantasy game unless its a fantasy like Bloodborne. But either way I trust Playground games a lot, in fact more than Lionhead to be honest.

The fact they seem to be going back to the medieval fantasy gives me hope. Hopefully theyre able to capture that whimsical colourful part of it. As for Theresa she's definitely gone. The fact that they said its a kind of soft reboot while it seems to be medival fantasy tells me they'll probably used the Spire to destroy the world again.

Yea it was to the point she was just there just to be there. She served no purpose in Fable 3. But yea I'm 100% okay with a reboot as long as they retain some of the things I listed, especially customization/growth and having a family. I LOVED having a family in Fable. Fable was one of the FIRST games to do that and mastered it. lol. Its the small things that count. But Playground games can expand FURTHER and have your kids grow to be teenagers and become heros themselves!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
You felt really important growing up as a kid from Oakvale, being bought to the guild among different heros and learning how to be a hero. Growing from a kid, teenager and then adult in an medieval fantasy setting. Kinda like Harry Potter in a way. That's what I LOVE about Fable. Its about GROWTH and your decisions having an impact. Fable 1 had that a lot, Fable 2 a bit less and then Fable 3 not at all!

I'm sorry but I don't think industrial theme works with fantasy setting. Yes, it could depend on the game/movie but I personally feel it doesn't. Fable 2 while a good game just felt "dead" compared to Fable 1. I don't know why they decided to get rid of the guild and heros. And yes, I agree it did feel lazy and uninspring. The world did not feel as "magical" compared to Fable 1. People who hype up Fable 2 as the best Fable game, just never played Fable 1 first. Guns DO NOT belong in a Fable game or any fantasy game unless its a fantasy like Bloodborne. But either way I trust Playground games a lot, in fact more than Lionhead to be honest.

Yea it was to the point she was just there just to be there. She served no purpose in Fable 3. But yea I'm 100% okay with a reboot as long as they retain some of the things I listed, especially customization/growth and having a family. I LOVED having a family in Fable. Fable was one of the FIRST games to do that and mastered it. lol. Its the small things that count. But Playground games can expand FURTHER and have your kids grow to be teenagers and become heros themselves!

Agreed about the guns. I did really miss running around with plate armour with my sword and bow. Im hoping they finally let us use shields this time as well.

Also it would be pretty cool if our character died, they let us continue on as our kid if we had one instead of just reloading a save since theyll have hero blood. Not sure how theyd manage to get that to work with stpry but itd be cool to have lineage.

Jul 17, 2018
Agreed about the guns. I did really miss running around with plate armour with my sword and bow. Im hoping they finally let us use shields this time as well.

Also it would be pretty cool if our character died, they let us continue on as our kid if we had one instead of just reloading a save since theyll have hero blood. Not sure how theyd manage to get that to work with stpry but itd be cool to have lineage.

That's a good idea but it would be extremely tricky and I think people would be divided on it.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
I would be disappointed if STALKER 2 didn't launch in April, but if they need the extra time they can take all the time they need. I have high hopes for the game and its probably my most anticipated non-XGS game.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If i had to choose between exclusive starfield or ff i would chose starfield. I could never really get into ff

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Hope the FF rumours aren't true for fans of that series on Xbox. Doesn't really affect me as I have no interest in those games, or JRPGs in general, but it's a huge franchise nonetheless.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
It just feels weird to see Nier and Star Ocean coming to Xbox but FF getting passed on.
Ill happily take those two though. Easily my two favo squeenix properties.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the FF rumours aren't true for fans of that series on Xbox. Doesn't really affect me as I have no interest in those games, or JRPGs in general, but it's a huge franchise nonetheless.

I would guess that it is real with how much Sony has been spending on times exclusives from Square. Moves like this will force MS to make a purchase (not necessarily Square but other Japanese developers) imo to secure content for their platform.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess that it is real with how much Sony has been spending on times exclusives from Square. Moves like this will force MS to make a purchase (not necessarily Square but other Japanese developers) imo to secure content for their platform.
yeah, Xbox needs to stop relying solely on SE for Jrpgs. Xbox needs it's own Jrpg studio.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Should have probably led with that post off the bat. 20 hours for the main story is reasonable length wise imo

Yeah 20-25 hours with heavy focus on reactivity/Agency so you can make more denser world it's my hope for games like Avowed, inXile game etc...

+ Side quest/factions that can have impact on the main quest too can push this number. Cyberpunk pace is really good imo maybe a little bit longer like +2-3 hours.

But games like AC with 60 hours just to finish the main story I can't anymore... Only R* can do that. Even Bethesda their main story is not that long.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
personally 2022 seems to be like a weak year to me in terms of new releases. thankfully game pass will be there for me.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018

They sure need to start looking into other devs that they seem unaware of their existence, Falcom, Gust.. Push harder to get Atlus now that they are into multiplat.

And get a couple studios as well, maybe build a new one and get a smaller one to grow as that seems easier.

personally 2022 seems to be like a weak year to me in terms of new releases. thankfully game pass will be there for me.

I agree, been saying it for a while now.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Yeah first half of this year is looking very dry for me. I mean I always got a backlog, so there's that.

Maybe we hear about the first FH5 expansion soon?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
sucks if Stalker is delayed but I'm going to be a dad in March 😱 so I'm going to have minimal gaming time for a while anyway.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
sucks if Stalker is delayed but I'm going to be a dad in March 😱 so I'm going to have minimal gaming time for a while anyway.

Congrats! From personal experience you will have a lot of late night game sessions, if you so choose. Those late night feedings, burpings and soothing back to sleep create opportunities to game assuming you don't mind the lack of sleep.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019

First game I really had time/energy to play since my kid was born in June 2020 was Halo Infinite.

If you get a bad sleeper then by the time you get that sorted, deal with the constant barrages of colds from daycare and just be a parent… Well it takes a while.

I wouldn't change it for the world. But it's a heck of a change if you're used to sitting down and playing several hours most evenings.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats! From personal experience you will have a lot of late night game sessions, if you so choose. Those late night feedings, burpings and soothing back to sleep create opportunities to game assuming you don't mind the lack of sleep.

First game I really had time/energy to play since my kid was born in June 2020 was Halo Infinite.

If you get a bad sleeper then by the time you get that sorted, deal with the constant barrages of colds from daycare and just be a parent… Well it takes a while.

I wouldn't change it for the world. But it's a heck of a change if you're used to sitting down and playing several hours most evenings.
Thanks! I barely ever play during the day, almost exclusively late at night since my wife needs like double the sleep I do. We'll see how that changes lol

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Thanks! I barely ever play during the day, almost exclusively late at night since my wife needs like double the sleep I do. We'll see how that changes lol

For me and my wife it worked better for me to stay up really late and her to then get up early, which meant I played all of Halo 1, 2, 3, 4 with my first kid sleeping on my stomach lol. Depends on your feeding strategy though and what intervals your kid will need.

Second kid was harder but I still finished Yakuza Kiwami!

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
yeah, Xbox needs to stop relying solely on SE for Jrpgs. Xbox needs it's own Jrpg studio.

FF is the most popular and well known JRPG so you can't just ignore it.

In fact if MS is aware of this Sony deal it would make sense why they haven't made much of an effort on the JRPG front. Since most JRPG fans will go where FF is, so why bother investing money in a group of gamers that will likely just go to Playstation in the end.

I love Final Fantasy but I am starting to hope FF16 bombs now and SE comes crawling to MS to recoup their money.

Jul 17, 2018
I'm really excited to see what the creation engine 2 can do. All talks about UE 2 but I think the CE2 is gonna set the open world genre on fire. I think its gonna be a TRUE next gen engine. Someone from Xboxera even mentioned the possibility of zero gravity and objects floating around. He/she even mentioned what Phil saying about this gen being a leap like 2D to 3D. Anyone agree?

Like I said before... Starfield gonna be a monumental part of Xbox history similar to Halo, Xbox Live, Gears, Kinect(even though it was short lived), the Bethesda purchase. You heard it from me first.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
You technically get more games but with BGS's RPGs, between the size, replyability, and the mods, you'd actually get more of a game than all 3 of those combined.

I wonder if PD will have replayability with a PvP arena style mode like the franchise history or try something else. Or would it have PvP but class based to differentiate from Halo?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely, but while I imagine PG is going to do a good job, Fable is their first Open world RPG. With no info its a complete unknown right now. I have a good idea of what to expect from BGS though.

You technically get more games but with BGS's RPGs, between the size, replyability, and the mods, you'd actually get more of a game than all 3 of those combined.

Yea...I'm banking on that to keep me busy for awhile. I just imagine there's going to be a lot to get into outside of the story...hard to quantify how much more that'll be with that power at their fingertips.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
FF is the most popular and well known JRPG so you can't just ignore it.

In fact if MS is aware of this Sony deal it would make sense why they haven't made much of an effort on the JRPG front. Since most JRPG fans will go where FF is, so why bother investing money in a group of gamers that will likely just go to Playstation in the end.

I love Final Fantasy but I am starting to hope FF16 bombs now and SE comes crawling to MS to recoup their money.

Nintendo doesn't have FF and it didn't stop them from investing in JRPGs and growing a fan base, that would be very weak from MS, a loser mentality.

edit: What did sony do when they lost bethesda LT (not even timed)? they got KOTOR, and I'm sure they have more stuff planned. With your logic, there would be no point in trying after losing the biggest wrpgs, why bother, right? ... yup.

Last edited:

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't have FF and it didn't stop them from investing in JRPGs and growing a fan base, that would be very weak from MS, a loser mentality.

edit: What did sony do when they lost bethesda LT (not even timed)? they got KOTOR, and I'm sure they have more stuff planned. With your logic, there would be no point in trying after losing the biggest wrpgs, why bother, right? ... yup.

I agree. MS can work with other Japanese publishers and developers while building up new studios if they wanted to. Not having FF isn't the end of the world.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think Nintendo invested much in JRPGs as opposed to they were just given to them.

Like TWEWY was a DS games so it makes sense that the sequel is on Switch, I doubt Nintendo paid for that. Games like Octopath would likely have been ignored by PS/XB gamers due to the graphics so it was likely why SE released it on Switch and I doubt Nintendo paid for that either, since they usually go for full exclusives and not timed. I can see them paying for SMT maybe, but most of the JRPGs they got likely weren't due to them paying.

TheCrazyGuru

Mar 29, 2021

The KOTR remake is a timed console exclusive. Still a good deal for Sony to get it first though.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I don't think Nintendo invested much in JRPGs as opposed to they were just given to them.

Like TWEWY was a DS games so it makes sense that the sequel is on Switch, I doubt Nintendo paid for that. Games like Octopath would likely have been ignored by PS/XB gamers due to the graphics so it was likely why SE released it on Switch and I doubt Nintendo paid for that either, since they usually go for full exclusives and not timed. I can see them paying for SMT maybe, but most of the JRPGs they got likely weren't due to them paying.

They doubled down on Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions.. they are the only 1st party with jrpgs these days.

After growing a fan base obviously games will start coming easily, but back on wiiU they had nothing and pushed their own stuff.

The KOTR remake is a timed console exclusive. Still a good deal for Sony to get it first though.

So are a lot of these FF deals at the end of the day, but that's not even the question here.. it's about trying to counter something, according to the KH related avatar user, MS should give up all together, aka lose out on KH, NIER and all the other big selling jrpg because sony timed hat a couple games.

Jul 17, 2018
I always found time exclusivity to be lame. Even go FULL exclusivity or go home. Even during the 360 era I found it lame. I get it, its business.

Status
Not open for further replies.