• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick a name, any name

• Say Hola to Halo

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Age of Infinite Horizons

Votes: 144 29.3%
  • 20 years, 23 studios, Infinite Halo

Votes: 118 24.0%
  • Oh, I like it

Votes: 23 4.7%
  • …And the Horse You Rode In On

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Happy Anniversary Xbox!

Votes: 75 15.3%
  • You're safe now

Votes: 51 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
People are talking about Elder Scrolls and Fallout and here is me thinking that I had more fun with games like Divinity 1 & 2.

Such a shame that I couldn't play through PoE 2, because I got massive headaches to to the jaggy movement.

Here's hoping that PoE 2 gets a 60 FPS and that Obsidian still develops some awesome cRPGs. Love those massive oldschool fantasy RPGs.
No chance you could play it on PC? Isn't too hard to run, even my potato 960 managed it at medium settings 1080p @ 60 fps. Great game and it would be a shame to miss out on it

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I picked up a Series X on a whim, and started playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition a few nights ago because it seems like the Xbox series I'd like the most. I'm on the last Act now.

I'm enjoying the game, but I guess I was wondering if I missed a webcomic or novel or something that sets up the story? It feels like you are really dumped into the middle of the action without explaining what is going on. Maybe that is an intentional choice, and if so, that is kind of cool. I just didn't want to miss out on lore or something that would have been common knowledge at the time the game released.
Don't think you missed anything really, most of the key setup information and how the universe got to the point it did is delved into in the next two games. The only thing you might want to know is some pre-emergence day lore that is pretty interesting and I found relevant when I first played through the series.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
No chance you could play it on PC? Isn't too hard to run, even my potato 960 managed it at medium settings 1080p @ 60 fps. Great game and it would be a shame to miss out on it

Thanks for answering! Youre right, PC would be an option but I can't stand playing on PC. Especially a game that is so massive like PoE 2.

I've made peace with the fact that I'm probably not gonna play it. Such a shame but well. Still hoping for an FPS boost. Please?! :(

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
It's obvious that The Outer Worlds was made on a budget, hence the half-baked animations and character models. But the writing and dialog were the highlights. It's pretty much a given that the sequel will exceed the 1st one in every way.

Oct 12, 2020
So I'm back from a two week stint from my family cabin where I have an older HDTV and a One X. Not going to sugar coat it, but it doesn't feel very good to play that config anymore - tried some Halo Infinite but it felt off somehow - compared to my Series X and LG oled. Makes you appreciate just how free of any sort of lag the new box is. Not 15 minutes after having returned to my place in the city i am now downloading Mass Effect LE and The Outer Wilds. 😍

it will be interesting to see how Mass Effect, especially the first one, holds up for me.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
I picked up a Series X on a whim, and started playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition a few nights ago because it seems like the Xbox series I'd like the most. I'm on the last Act now.

I'm enjoying the game, but I guess I was wondering if I missed a webcomic or novel or something that sets up the story? It feels like you are really dumped into the middle of the action without explaining what is going on. Maybe that is an intentional choice, and if so, that is kind of cool. I just didn't want to miss out on lore or something that would have been common knowledge at the time the game released.

thats just how many games worked at the time of their releases. Halo CE and even infinite does the same thing.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think Jez reported they're about the same size
Though, I have a vague memory of him correcting himself in a later podcast that he had confused or got some of the numbers wrong on one of the sides. Anyway, I'd be kinda surprised if TOW had as many people as Avowed, considering one is probably much further along in the process and the other is still quite early.

Nov 8, 2017
Most UE4 games simply aren't created with comparable budgets tho, in most cases the developer was simply focused on creating the game and not pushing the tech and visuals to the limits. Gears 5 was easily among the top 5 best looking at the time of its release. But looking at the UE4 indie/AA games (eg. Mutant Year Zero), it's clear the engine allows for efficient content production while providing visually pleasing results. Same goes for Unity, some really stunning games there, but most devs don't have the capacity to push it as hard.

Gears 5 is gorgeous for sure, no argument. It definitely has some limits - the open section are rather barren compared to the large maps of frostbite (which also shipped ray tracing in 2018). Control and metro exodus are also contemporaries that shipped very advanced features. Doom Eternal has basically unmatched perormance on pc (performs exquisitely, terrifyingly optimised). MW2019 has am advanced software vrs solution and, again, shipped with rt.

Gears 5 and Days Gone are the best looking Ue4 games of roughly that period, but both also did massive custom work on the renderer (in G5s case, it was work that was fed back into UE for everybody). So you definitely could get stuff that looked very high end on ue4, but you're also doing a lot of bespoke work to get there. In some ways that diminshed some (but definitely not all) of the reasons you might othewise choose a 3p engine. Days Gone I believe extensively rewrote parts of the engine and renderer.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Though, I have a vague memory of him correcting himself in a later podcast that he had confused or got some of the numbers wrong on one of the sides. Anyway, I'd be kinda surprised if TOW had as many people as Avowed, considering one is probably much further along in the process and the other is still quite early.

Avowed around 120
TOW2 around 70 preprod

he said I think when he rectified

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
The dashboard is back to being really laggy and awful. They fix it then it regresses.

Also i don't know why automatic game updates still don't work if your system isn't your main console due to family sharing.

Licorice Lain

Dec 4, 2021
My working assumption based upon the general knowledge surrounding XGS in 2023 is that Avowed will be March/April-ish, Contraband probs in May with Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark and potentially Project Cobalt dropping in the back half of the year with some unannounced stuff getting sprinkled in between. I have felt that this was a very conservative estimate (even with Covid), considering how much dev time these games have had.

Then again, I thought for sure Psychonauts 2 was going to be a Q1 2022 game, so maybe even now we are all being a bit too optimistic about these studios progress.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
waiting to see what the masters of UE Coalition do with their next UE5 games :O

BossySneakyHuman-size_restricted.gif

SpiffyJampackedGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

d574ca6a83fc746e716a4680fe3b73f83a981392.gifv

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
waiting to see what the masters of UE Coalition do with their next UE5 games :O

BossySneakyHuman-size_restricted.gif

SpiffyJampackedGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

d574ca6a83fc746e716a4680fe3b73f83a981392.gifv
Hoping to see some big improvements on texture quality and polygon counts in environment assets. Hivebusters looks top tier but that's mostly down to the lighting and materials. Without the Xbox One holding it back and from what we've already seen with the teaser Ue5 stuff I think they're gonna crush it

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Hoping to see some big improvements on texture quality and polygon counts in environment assets. Hivebusters looks top tier but that's mostly down to the lighting and materials. Without the Xbox One holding it back and from what we've already seen with the teaser Ue5 stuff I think they're gonna crush it

I have no doubt they will, but they have competition now :)

ncgSspl.gif

SIZ73Rq.gif

2W25WrZ.gif

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
How does the tone of the Pillars Of Eternity universe compare to Outer Worlds? I'm excited for Avowed but TOW burned me out a bit by the end, the satire just wasn't hitting as much as I wish it was.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
My working assumption based upon the general knowledge surrounding XGS in 2023 is that Avowed will be March/April-ish, Contraband probs in May with Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark and potentially Project Cobalt dropping in the back half of the year with some unannounced stuff getting sprinkled in between. I have felt that this was a very conservative estimate (even with Covid), considering how much dev time these games have had.

Then again, I thought for sure Psychonauts 2 was going to be a Q1 2022 game, so maybe even now we are all being a bit too optimistic about these studios progress.
Project Cobalt is not out in 2023 most likely 2024 or 2025 Wasteland 3 came out in 2020 and they finish the dlc for Wasteland 3.

Nov 8, 2017
That's the reason why some get a third party engine, because it comes with the source code and you can do as you please with it. What advanced feature did Control and Metro ship with RT? that could be added to and shipped with any engine on the planet. Same with vrs or anything else really. I don't think the coalition did massive amounts of work on the rendering side(could be wrong) i know they did a lot on the optimization, material and optimization side. But again that's the benefit of a ready made engine like unity, unreal, uniengine or Cry.

The point I'm trying to make is not that nothing else can ever do those features, it's that the companies on in house engines usually get there first. The public UE4 RT implementation was considered production ready mid 2020, which was about 1.8 years after Frostbite shipped their first attempt, about 16 months after Exodus got there with RTGI, and about 1 year after Control shipped with 5 RT effects (That look quite transformative in combination).

The future is very unknown obviously. Maybe UE5 represents the point that third party engines just can't be matched. But that's up in the air right now, we need to see what the next gen of those engines end up being before we declare perpetual victory for UE. This last gen, the main benefit of custom engines was not saving money on licensing fees (because it has so many other costs to offset that), it was that - so long as you could meet the staffing and budgetary requirements - you could usually stay at the absolute cutting edge and pushing boundaries by doing so.

My hot take is that Halo Infinite is an example where it largely backfired, causing production timeline blowouts and shipping results that don't seem impressive enough to have warranted going down that path. I think the alt universe where they went UE4 for Halo Inifnite, the game is probably not meaningfully worse, and it ships in 2019 or at minimum makes launch of the XS consoles in 2020 with more features and polish than we got in their Dec 2021 launch IRL.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
That's the reason why some get a third party engine, because it comes with the source code and you can do as you please with it. What advanced feature did Control and Metro ship with RT? that could be added to and shipped with any engine on the planet. Same with vrs or anything else really. I don't think the coalition did massive amounts of work on the rendering side(could be wrong) i know they did a lot on the optimization, material and optimization side. But again that's the benefit of a ready made engine like unity, unreal, uniengine or Cry.

Agree

Nov 8, 2017
Deliver us the moon came out in 2018 and had RT in it by 2019. The UE4 RT was perfectly shippable in 2018 as well if you used Nvidia Unreal branch which had a lot of optimization. Frostbite implementation was terrible performance wise. None of these games were doing anything bespoke either they just implemented Nvidia's solution. So i'm not seeing your point.

DUTM shipped RTX in December 2019. Are you certain none of those games you listed were doing anything of their own? Not even Control? I'm pretty sure they weren't just dropping in boiler plate code, although all parties necessarily collaborated closely with Nvidia because that was who was developing the hardware and driver stacks to make it possible in the first place. I know I asked Tiago Sousa about the RTX features in Wolfenstein YB and he reported it was a collab between Nvidia and and MG (i.e. not really involving id) but I didn't get much more info than that.

Do you disagree with the idea that having your own technology offers any advantages at all with respect to graphics? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what your exact position is. I've certainly seen developers discussing whether it's worth it to have your own engine at all (there was a good series of blog posts on these and some other topics by the lead graphics engineer at Zenimax Online Studios, Alex Tardif). But as I understand it, the main thing is that people have custom engines because it gives them full control over the graphics, the workflows, or both. Saving on licencing fees too, but again, that saving is dramatically offset by extra costs, and it only saves you money in certain cases.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Unreal Engine is such a big business for Epic that I think they can get away with investing significantly more resources into it than companies can justify doing with their custom engines.

Nov 8, 2017
Unreal Engine is such a big business for Epic that I think they can get away with investing significantly more resources into it than companies can justify doing with their custom engines.

The blog post I mentioned is here:

And yes, one reason that Unreal is now a lot more competitive with high end stuff than it was in, say, 2015, is exactly that as it becomes bigger business it absorbs talent and expands team sizes that becomes more challenging to match. There is now more or less a line that says "You must be this big to ride". A few holdouts on smaller teams still work with their own stuff but it's pretty rare.

UE5 is significant because now it looks plausible that for a while it might have a big lead in some respects. With the caveat, of course, that we still need to wait to see what other engines will be doing in a few years when major UE5 games will start shipping.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
How does the tone of the Pillars Of Eternity universe compare to Outer Worlds? I'm excited for Avowed but TOW burned me out a bit by the end, the satire just wasn't hitting as much as I wish it was.

the tone from POE 1 & POE 2 is really different, POE1 look like more classic Fantasy, Baldur gate vibe etc... POE 2 is lot more thoughtful & exotic with some latin country inspiration, lot more diverse, pirate vibe etc...

From the trailer & the description of the living lands look like Avowed will take from both.

GEO was created in 2020 look like is massively important for xbox. Lead by Sarah bond

+600 person and growing across the globe from engineer, business dev, strategic partner, Data etc...
Dedicated XGS team to help them focus on high quality games & development environment/Co-development partner etc... (and even " other potential partnerships in the connected entertainment sector (games and entertainment)👀.")
Game Pass content portfolio acquisition & Global Third party
And lot more...

Likely the team that will bring more Japanese content on Xbox because it's now unified and global they have people in costa rico,india, china etc... Really ambitious team. Maybe some third party exclusive too, jez hearing things 👀

Nov 8, 2017
What do you mean by high end? Paragon was 2016...and that was one of the best looking games with a plethora of new tech...distance matching, material layering, stride warping, orientation warping, etc all at 60fps...no other engine was doing that. Shit Paragon is still a great looking game.

I have no idea what was going on in paragon, I haven't played it.

To clarify, by high end in the post you quote I'm referring to my overall general impressions of visual quality and performance on display for specific games.

My choice of 2015 was not an accident, as 2016 is I feel where we got Gears 4 which could stand tall among the top 5 or so best looking games that year. Although most probably wouldn't rank it as the best looking or performing, since that was the same year as Uncharted 4, Doom 2016, Battlefield 1, and Quantum Break, all of which I think can make a strong case for one or the other (either most visually impressive or most visually impressive for how well it performs).

In 2015, it's an interesting case because the one game that does look stunning on Unreal is running on UE3, in what was described as a "heavily customized" version of that engine. I don't really know the exact specifics, but in the 2013-2015 period I can't think of any other major UE games that looked abnormally good for their time other than Arkham Knight. That period in my mind is dominated by Frostbite (Battlefront was a stunning game, but the earlier stuff looked great too), Cryengine (Ryse), Guerilla's engine (KZ:SF and Until Dawn), Naughty Dog's engine (TLOU in 2013), and so on.

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021
Pillars of Eternity is darker, and has a pretty big focus on the whole religion and spiritual aspect of the world. I won't spoil either of the games but they heavily deal with religion and it's affects.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Way more serious. It still has it's humorous moments, but it's more of a cut and dry fantasy RPG tone-wise, maybe even a bit darker than something like Elder Scrolls. A lot "darker" than Outer Worlds in terms of feel I would say.

And that's not to say it doesn't have some visually striking and colorful locales, but it's not a continuous rainbow like TOW could be sometimes either.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As others have said, it definitely takes itself more serious than The Outer Worlds. That's not to say it's all bleak and grim, though. Pillars 2, in particular, has the perfect blend of light-heartedness to go along with its more serious tone. I expect great things for Avowed.

As much as I enjoyed The Outer Worlds, I agree that its satire was far too blunt and shallow. I hope setting the sequel in a new system allows them to tone it down a bit.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I have a question.

In previous console generation, God of War, TLoU: Part II, HZD, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus were all looking amazing. And I remember only Days Gone has Unreal Engine (it's also looking great too).

Can they achieve same level of visuals with UE or it's because they use in-house engine?

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
I have a question.

In previous console generation, God of War, TLoU: Part II, HZD, Spider-Man, Shadow of Colossus were all looking amazing. And I remember only Days Gone has Unreal Engine (it's also looking great too).

Can they achieve same level of visuals with UE or it's because they use in-house engine?

Just take a look at Gears 5 and Hivebusters and you'll have your answer :)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are people expecting DLSS support for future AAA titles like Starfield, Hellblade and such? I see FH5 does not have it. Planning to get a gaming laptop just for MS titles and and i'm curious to know what people think, that could help me decide between an Nvidia or an AMD setup.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Are people expecting DLSS support for future AAA titles like Starfield, Hellblade and such? I see FH5 does not have it. Planning to get a gaming laptop just for MS titles and and i'm curious to know what people think, that could help me decide between an Nvidia or an AMD setup.
For Starfield it's probably better to look for Bethesda Softworks's recent games for reference than the games of the XGS publishing arm. Arkane added the DLSS support for Deathloop soon after the launch, so Starfield probably will support it too.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Usually this is a by game basis marketing deal… Infinite doesn't have DLSS which honestly would help a ton with its bad optimization and cpu cycles

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Outer Worlds is like a skit from Children's Hospital and Pillars of Eternity is House MD. Don't worry its just tone comparison, Pillars writing is far better than House.

One feels like its most worried about being a joke/satire factory and the other is mostly serious with some moments of light humour sprinkled around.

Sep 8, 2020
Just noticed some rumors that we are getting a State of Play, is there any rumors that we are also getting some kind of Microsoft digital event in Q1?
Guess I'm very thirsty for some info on Starfield, Everwild and/or Redfall

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Just noticed some rumors that we are getting a State of Play, is there any rumors that we are also getting some kind of Microsoft digital event in Q1?

Microsoft doesn't really do anything outside big events except for indie streams. They do Inside Xbox on occasion, but that doesn't really often include new information like that. I wouldn't expect anything until E3 really (Or around when E3 usually is).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't see why they would. Sony is probably doing it mainly for Horizon and Ghostwire.

E3 sort of time, why rush if you aren't releasing anything and covid working issues, be cool, take the pressure off.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

They didn't have much before E3 last year. Think there was an ID@Xbox showcase maybe. I wouldn't expect any big event before June to be honest.

I think most big Xbox announcements will come through the two-weekly game pass announcements. I expect a fair amount of 3rd party day-one deals in the first half of 2022.

2022 might turn out quite similar to 2021. i.e. a number of big third party game pass deals first half, then E3, then first party releases.
  • In 2021 it was The Medium, Outriders, MLB, Octopath, ... --> E3 --> Psychonauts 2, AoE IV, Forza Horizon, Halo.
  • In 2022 it seems to be a similar idea: R6: Extraction, Crossfire, STALKER 2, TW:Warhammer 3, ... --> E3 --> Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Starfield + maybe some smaller first party (e.g. Grounded, Josh Sawyer game).

Status
Not open for further replies.