• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDrift

Jun 9, 2019
I think the closet games would be Ryse Son of Rome, Quantum Break, Hellblade, and Plague's Tale. I would, however, recommend that your friends maybe try games outside of their comfort zones or genres they don't typically dabble in. That really is the true appeal of Game Pass, in my opinion. I would recommend games like the Ori games, Death's Door, Tunic, Donut Country, just to name a few.

Haha let me tell something funny. That's what I did, and for sure I think it was for the best.

I used to have only PS Consoles (Have more than one console in Brazil is expensive as hell) and I made the change in the Xbox One Era. (hahaha not the best one to made the change). I was not a fan of uncharted and TLoU in PS3, with X360 getting JP games at the time (My personal taste at the time), I thought that getting a Xbox One would be a good idea. (hell I was so wrong about the JP games).

Yeah the JP games was a mistake, a bad one. But in the other hand, I got to know a lot of others games and it's was really really good, they were games that I definitely would not play if I stayed in the comfort zone. And when GamePass came, well, it was awesome. I never had played so many games like that.

So, I'm glad that I made the change and left my comfort zone (yeah I missed some others games that I would liked to play like Bloodborne, FF7R and Persona 5) but at the end it was for the better.

Trying things outside your comfort zone can do marvelous things, but I will be sincere, not everyone is willing to make it.

Ps.: Yeah, I still don't have a PS4/5, but now I got a better job, I will be getting one in the next year, when supply gets better I guess. I got a Series X, it was expensive as hell, so no way to getting a PS5 at the same time. (And PS4 cost way more than a Series S in Brazil, currently, more than 1000R$ ~ 192,50USD so it not makes sense to buy one anymore)

Ps2.: \o/ Persona on Xbox!

Ps3.: No FF7R is sad.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
GP alone doesn't give you a gold sub, or EA games.

It's not that linear.

I would also argue, if that's your argument, that xbox should be going for more console GP only games as a lot more pubs would be willing to game pass their stuff if they don't lose pc sales in the process.

As a console user we are paying the same for less.

I'd agree that we PC gamers have a better deal given that we do not pay for gold or need ultimate for EA PLAY, that's right. That being said, console games are more expensive (70€ or 80€ , I cannot remember) so, I guess that bringing a game to console game pass might be more expensive, I don't know.

Regarding your second point, there are games that do not release on PC GP and yes on console. I remember that Outriders came out day one on console GP , but not on PC. A more recent one is GTA : San Andreas remaster that did release on console GP but not on PC GP.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I'd agree that we PC gamers have a better deal given that we do not pay for gold or need ultimate for EA PLAY, that's right. That being said, console games are more expensive (70€ or 80€ , I cannot remember) so, I guess that bringing a game to console game pass might be more expensive, I don't know.

Regarding your second point, there are games that do not release on PC GP and yes on console. I remember that Outriders came out day one on console GP , but not on PC. A more recent one is GTA : San Andreas remaster that did release on console GP but not on PC GP.

I can point out 1-2+ pc exclusives per month vs 1/2 per year on console. It's not even close.

Considering we pay more, at very least we should get the same number of games... honestly this isn't asking for much at all, it's actually being nice for the pc users that pay less and still would be getting the same amount of games!

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
User banned (1 day): Platform wars. Account in junior phase.
Oof Ryse. I think Titanfall was another Sony exclusive style game. It seems Xbox users have a sophisticated palette and don't enjoy borderline tech demo cut scene games.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
Very happy with xCloud getting M+KB by the way . I don't really mind that we have to play the console versions, they are usually way better optimized than PC ones (One of the reasons why I'm thinking on buying a console, sometimes being a PC user is a pain with some games).

Hopefully many game developers start adding M+KB support.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Goddamn it's fine not to enjoy Sony style games but the console-war rhetoric is a bit whack.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Any comment saying Xbox players don't want Sony style games is disingenuous.

I feel like most of us long-time Xbox players have been demanding an exclusive game like Sony's top games for the last decade.

The lack of an action game like ninja gaiden in the xbox and 360 days as well has never been rectified. Hellblade is good but not nearly in depth enough, although maybe they will improve combat in hb2 although everything I see about it talks up the tech work and not the gameplay.

I hope Perfect Dark at least approaches the realm of professionalism portrayed in Naughty Dogs games. Of course with a unique spin on it and not in an effort to emulate ND.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
So, I was talking with some friends that bought their first Xbox (Series S) and are exploring the GamePass Library... and they were asking for 1st party games with graphics like Uncharted/TLoU/GoW.

And... I dunno, I can't find much games with those requirements. Only one that came in mind was Gears 5. But it may be tough to get into the game when this is the 5th game in the franchise.

And this make me think.... Xbox/MS should invest more in those type of games? To get people that came from PS more engaged with Xbox?

I do think that Hellblade 2 and Fable (seeing playground historic) would fit those requirements, but maybe Xbox need more of them?
I am not so sure that, with Xbox's current direction, that we will see as many of those types of experiences from their first party catalogue.

I don't really want to rehash any age old debates, but I am increasingly of the mindset that those sorts of AAAA-budget, shorter narrative-focused experiences aren't the most efficient focus for the Subscription service model. I think this is why we have seen Xbox focus on prestige WRPGs. I'd wager they're more efficient since they last longer in terms of engagement.

Of course, Game Pass isn't the sole driver of revenue for Xbox - they sell each game individually on console and on PC storefronts. They derive revenue from having players in their ecosystem, generally, and thus do need premium experiences to incentivize new entrants. So no doubt Xbox will have those types of experiences in Game Pass, and on their platform, from both first and third parties - The Coalition, Ninja Theory, and Compulsion Games are obviously standout examples in this area, along with Guardians of the Galaxy from Eidos Montreal, etc.

I just don't think we will see the same focus on the genre that Playstation has - which is totally fine, since Playstation doesn't have the same focus on RPGs and shooters that Xbox has.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So, I was talking with some friends that bought their first Xbox (Series S) and are exploring the GamePass Library... and they were asking for 1st party games with graphics like Uncharted/TLoU/GoW.

And... I dunno, I can't find much games with those requirements. Only one that came in mind was Gears 5. But it may be tough to get into the game when this is the 5th game in the franchise.

And this make me think.... Xbox/MS should invest more in those type of games? To get people that came from PS more engaged with Xbox?

I do think that Hellblade 2 and Fable (seeing playground historic) would fit those requirements, but maybe Xbox need more of them?
Damn how could i forget. Psychonauts 2 is worth playing for sure. It has great graphics and story but its obviously stylized

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I can point out 1-2+ pc exclusives per month vs 1/2 per year on console. It's not even close.

Considering we pay more, at very least we should get the same number of games... honestly this isn't asking for much at all, it's actually being nice for the pc users that pay less and still would be getting the same amount of games!

Business make moves that serve customers.

A: Putting a PC-only game like Three Kingdoms on GP serves the PC strategy crowd. A decently sized portion of the PC crowd gets a popular PC game.

B: Aiming for enforced number of games parity between PC and Xbox GP. Serves the virtually non-existent crowd that's preoccupied with counting the numbers of games on PC but not Xbox. I'd say they're are dozens of them, but that would be overstating their number.

Microsoft doesn't and shouldn't pursue arbitrary parity. They need to continue putting good games on Xbox GP, but they can safely ignore all complaints about the numbers not matching exactly between the two services.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
World of Warcraft console edition or League of Legends Wild Rift would be huge gets for Xbox.

Nothing ever happened with all those WoW console rumors that were going around last E3 season

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Any comment saying Xbox players don't want Sony style games is disingenuous.

I feel like most of us long-time Xbox players have been demanding an exclusive game like Sony's top games for the last decade.

The lack of an action game like ninja gaiden in the xbox and 360 days as well has never been rectified. Hellblade is good but not nearly in depth enough, although maybe they will improve combat in hb2 although everything I see about it talks up the tech work and not the gameplay.

I hope Perfect Dark at least approaches the realm of professionalism portrayed in Naughty Dogs games. Of course with a unique spin on it and not in an effort to emulate ND.

While Sony has some great games they do lack variety. They are all 3rd person action adventure skill tree based games. Where are their FPS, TPS, RTS, arcade racers, WRGS? Xbox has a bunch of those.

I would rather Xbox lack one genre than 5+ genres. And like you said we have Hellblade coming so at least that is something.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean yeah they can do what they want. Watch that video SpartyCrunch shared from the recent dev talks on xcloud touch controls. Gears 5 and SOT has clever optimizations for cloud where you sprint by holding the joystick to the top of the circle, separate wheels for each inventory radial menu ( rather than having to hold LB, move thumbstick, and press X or B etc to swap menus). Gears 5 adjusts the difficulty/recoil and has various controls for strafe shooting, aim+shoot, "sticky" buttons, etc. Devs are able to make any combo of buttons tied to whatever iconography they want.

There is a fixed amount of "locations" for these buttons though on the screen as to not overcrowd it. However, there can be multiple layouts that dynamically appear and disappear as needed.
Yea, I did after I posted that, since I was thinking about it haha. It was a really cool talk! And yea, I'm curious to see how it continues improving.

Some info from Jason on BC.
Never considered licensing deals for voice actors and writers... makes sense (considering the Judgment kerfluffle).. but damn. What a crazy legal world we live in haha..

I sort of agree, but at the same time I think indies deserve a spotlight in the big show too. Games like Somerville and Cocoon look great. But Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, As Dusk Falls, all could have been slimmed down quite a bit. Sea of Thieves maybe could have been in the extended show, too. Stuff like that. Cuz I agree that I was tuning out a bit in the middle of the show around the Lightyear Frontier time
Agreed! Some of the known content for sure could have been pared down. Overwatch 2, Diablo getting such extended segments isn't surprising, and I know some people enjoyed the deeper dives on Diablo, but yea, shaving a few minutes off a few known-quantity games could have helped. The reality is that we're really still only talking about fairly short segments for each game, but the relative pacing can feel so off. (It's funny watching DF afterward and seeing Rich complain about it still being trailer trailer trailer, and how he prefers it being slow and letting devs explain. Different preferences always.)

First "Super Game" by SEGA, the new one from Creative Assembly (coming to Xbox):

Chasing the Fortnite money, not doubt! I like how colourful it is.

Creative Assembly? Really....

FV30dU0acAMx_AD

I can't play EA games online again on my Series X, when i boot Fifa 23 suddenly they ask me to login my EA account, when I try to login with my EA account it said it already linked with my Xbox account, and cannot be linked with another account, seriously man.. they're the one who makes the problem and I'm the one who get the shit, and they can't/won't fix my problem.
I HAVE BEEN DENIED BY MY COLLEAUGES

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Not speaking for anyone else, but I want some Sony first-party style games. Anything made by Insomniac: please, straight into my veins, I'll genuflect as I back out of the room, thanking the heavens for the blessed gift. Santa Monica: I pledge my 2nd born, and will kiss the ground you walk on. Guerrilla: Don't mind if I do. ND: I'm already asleep, please close the door on your way out.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Not speaking for anyone else, but I want some Sony first-party style games. Anything made by Insomniac: please, straight into my veins, I'll genuflect as I back out of the room, thanking the heavens for the blessed gift. Santa Monica: I pledge my 2nd born, and will kiss the ground you walk on. Guerrilla: Don't mind if I do. ND: I'm already asleep, please close the door on your way out.
I think the problem is that we're not entirely clear what this means. Like "Sony-style"... would that include a Far Cry clone? Or does it have to include mechanical dinosaurs to be Sony-status? Would that include an open world motorcycle simulators with don't-call-them-zombies? (I actually can't remember the name of this game right now, and it scares me...).

I don't mind people saying they want games from MS that are like Horizon or TLOU or whatever. I get it, I'd be excited for that too. But "Sony-style" is such a silly sentiment. What it means to you is different from what it means to me, which makes these conversations impossible. Plus, the trolls out there can take it and basically say "well, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that MS needs _________. So they still cant do it!! HAHA" Just silly.

That said, I would be very sad if MS went after the Sony strategy wholesale and dumped a ton of money into making a few very expensive, very high production big bets. One or two would be great, but I like the variety we're looking at now.

While I think this doesn't look that bad. I'm still curious what SEGA does if Super Game initiative flops. Is it time to pack it up and sell the company?
They have a few in the works, right? I imagine they have to give it a few tries before packing it all up. But they are investing A LOT of money on this. So, they do need one to hit big.

Especially since it's clear that they're taking devs away from other franchises and games that they would otherwise be making.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I think the problem is that we're not entirely clear what this means. Like "Sony-style"... would that include a Far Cry clone? Or does it have to include mechanical dinosaurs to be Sony-status? Would that include an open world motorcycle simulators with don't-call-them-zombies? (I actually can't remember the name of this game right now, and it scares me...).

Agreed. They have different studios who different things, some of those I love and some I'm entirely disinterested in.

Also Days Gone is the not-zombies game.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
They have a few in the works, right? I imagine they have to give it a few tries before packing it all up. But they are investing A LOT of money on this. So, they do need one to hit big.

Especially since it's clear that they're taking devs away from other franchises and games that they would otherwise be making.
Yep. I think Super Game is super risky for SEGA, which is good they need some kind of cash cow, BUT if none of them really blow up… they just invested a ton of money into games with no real vision of the future. I think that's when Microsoft strikes.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think when people stay Sony-style they're referring to Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. I'm not a big fan of Horizon, I liked Ghost (didn't love it). I would be cool if Xbox wanted to make an Assassin's Creed clone like those two, as long as it's more compact than AC. The only reason I liked Ghost is because while yes it was a checklist game, it was relatively short.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of "narrative driven" games… we'll see that with Hellblade 2 (Ninja Theory) and Compulsion (new IP).

I think getting Asobo as an acquisition would further those type of games (Plague Tale).

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
While I think this doesn't look that bad. I'm still curious what SEGA does if Super Game initiative flops. Is it time to pack it up and sell the company?

Id be surprised if Sega has pinned their entire hope as a company to this. As much as it does look cool, it also feels a little outside the zeitgeist. The usual suspects are also still doing pretty well for Sega, Total War is still big, Atlus and Yakuza seem to be doing better than ever.

Then again, we're living in a world where Activision sold to Microsoft. Personally, Sega is better off independent, but at this point that just feels like a mantra.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
While Sony has some great games they do lack variety. They are all 3rd person action adventure skill tree based games. Where are their FPS, TPS, RTS, arcade racers, WRGS? Xbox has a bunch of those.

I would rather Xbox lack one genre than 5+ genres. And like you said we have Hellblade coming so at least that is something.

I'm not sure why this turned into a genre comparison, someone just mentioned wanting recommendations in that flavor. MS should, and to an extent is, producing games like them. I mean, we talk about the variety on offer on Xbox/GP, and this is another one that is requested a lot. Also, PS users are accustomed to it wholesale, so it would behoove them (MS) to produce a few more in that vein, at the very least to soften the on-ramp from users switching ecosystems.

I don't mind people saying they want games from MS that are like Horizon or TLOU or whatever. I get it, I'd be excited for that too. But "Sony-style" is such a silly sentiment. What it means to you is different from what it means to me, which makes these conversations impossible. Plus, the trolls out there can take it and basically say "well, no, that's not what I meant. I meant that MS needs _________. So they still cant do it!! HAHA" Just silly.

That said, I would be very sad if MS went after the Sony strategy wholesale and dumped a ton of money into making a few very expensive, very high production big bets. One or two would be great, but I like the variety we're looking at now.

"Sony-style" just means 3rd person narrative/cinematic action-adventure games. I don't think anyone is asking for a complete strategy shift, just a few more with those budgets. They aren't lacking the money to put towards it clearly. Also, see above for other ulterior reasons.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I think when people stay Sony-style they're referring to Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. I'm not a big fan of Horizon, I liked Ghost (didn't love it). I would be cool if Xbox wanted to make an Assassin's Creed clone like those two, as long as it's more compact than AC. The only reason I liked Ghost is because while yes it was a checklist game, it was relatively short.
I think you can fairly stretch out the definition to include games like Spiderman, H:FW, and GoT in the sense of their production value. Sony let those games develop for years and years, and clearly poured tons of money into them - in spite of the fact that they are primarily single player titles. You really don't see that from many, if any publishers. They can justify it because those games are going to go on to sell 10 million copies or whatever, not to mention they are prestige titles that lock in players to their ecosystem.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Agreed. They have different studios who different things, some of those I love and some I'm entirely disinterested in.

Also Days Gone is the not-zombies game.
OMG. It was in my brain and then I felt the knowledge bleed from me in real time. Thank you haha.

Yep. I think Super Game is super risky for SEGA, which is good they need some kind of cash cow, BUT if none of them really blow up… they just invested a ton of money into games with no real vision of the future. I think that's when Microsoft strikes.
Yea... I mean the smart thing to do would be to swoop in while they're making it, to support their development and hopefully make those games successes. Even if that's not acquisition.. they could maybe lean on the existing partnership to provide significant marketing and Game Pass backing to Sega's efforts, as they try to figure this out. Of course, that might end up being risky for Xbox's brand too, so who knows..

Even then. TLOU plays pretty differently from God of War 2016. In terms of gameplay, Ghost plays more like Assassin's Creed. Horizon plays more like Far Cry. TLOU is certainly not like either. TLOU2 departs even more strongly in tone, narrative style, presentation. The connective tissue is a camera angle, a focus on the broad strokes "narrative" - though they are truly nothing alike, and that there are big budget set pieces to go with big budget polish.

I agree with you, what people are thinking about is something that is undeniably blockbuster and an industry moment - it's just that that's an inherently nebulous thing (and not to mention a kinda impossible thing to design for). And for all we know, by the time MS has the time and resources to put something like that together, we might be on the other side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe effect - familiar with and respectful of their quality and yet somewhat fatigued with the formula.

I would love to have them make these games, I DO enjoy playing them. I just fear we're steering them in the wrong direction by talking about things in a strange and inconsistent way.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think you can fairly stretch out the definition to include games like Spiderman, H:FW, and GoT in the sense of their production value. Sony let those games develop for years and years, and clearly poured tons of money into them - in spite of the fact that they are primarily single player titles. You really don't see that from many, if any publishers.
That's fair. I just mean the typical linear narrative third person game that is associated with PlayStation. Horizon/GoT do have a certain level of polish/production value that not a lot of games get.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
What is their conception of a super game anyway...?
According to Utsumi, a 'SuperGame' title has to meet four main criteria: "(i) multi-platform, (ii) global multi-language development, (iii) simultaneous worldwide release, and (iv) AAA titles. In other words, you can imagine that the scale of game development will be that of a global blockbuster."

I love how 3 of them are kind of just the standard for western studios 😂

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
What is their conception of a super game anyway...?
Unclear. We get the feeling that it boils down to a GAAS game that makes them a lot of money and keeps people engaged for a really long time. I think the ambition is less that people come back periodically for new content, but that these projects even become their main driver games - like Destiny, Siege, Fortnite, etc.

Sullivan But of course, this definition includes NONE of that hahahaha

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That's fair. I just mean the typical linear narrative third person game that is associated with PlayStation. Horizon/GoT do have a certain level of polish/production value that not a lot of games get.

The games do get bundled together and conflated, even though they rarely play all that similar/differ in tone. Their only real through line is 3rd person perspective.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

indeed

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
The games do get bundled together and conflated, even though they rarely play all that similar/differ in tone. Their only real through line is 3rd person perspective.
Exactly. So why do we still call them Sony games? We're really talking about "Good games that have had the type of impact that Sony games have had in the last few years." But we don't talk about them that way haha. There are few you out there who really believe 3rd person is the key to unlocking everything, but I'm thinking it's something else XD

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Exactly. So why do we still call them Sony games? We're really talking about "Good games that have had the type of impact that Sony games have had in the last few years." But we don't talk about them that way haha. There are few you out there who really believe 3rd person is the key to unlocking everything, but I'm thinking it's something else XD

Well one angle (Twitter) is the console-warrior who lumps them in as "sad dad walking simulators" or "one and done games" - in terms of why they are lumped together, in a negative context with this perspective I've come across. All it really means is high budget/production value SP games, as gameplay/tone/story are all vastly different.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
But lest you all think this is actually a big deal for Sega..

From VGC:
In an interview on Sega Japan's recruitment website (translated by VGC), executive VP Shuji Utsumi explains: "Sega offers a wide range of game content, including hardware and arcade content, which is made possible by its diverse range of technologies. We have defined 'SuperGame' as the development of AAA titles that cross over SEGA's comprehensive range of technologies, and we will aim to achieve this in our five-year plan."

Explaining further, Utsumi said: "Several titles are being developed within the framework of SuperGame, and while each title will vary, there is no doubt that they will be interactive titles that go beyond the traditional framework of games.

"For example, in the past, people who played games were called gamers, but now watching games has become a culture in itself, and such people could no longer be called gamers. I think there is great potential in the relationship between people who play and watch games. We are thinking of creating new entertainment within these possibilities."

According to Utsumi, a 'SuperGame' title has to meet four main criteria: "(i) multi-platform, (ii) global multi-language development, (iii) simultaneous worldwide release, and (iv) AAA titles. In other words, you can imagine that the scale of game development will be that of a global blockbuster."

Sega's general manager Katsuya Hisai added: "Several projects are currently underway for SuperGame. In my department, around 50 people are already involved in the initial stages. We expect that the final number of employees will be several hundred."
So basically.... What is Super Game? Sega says: .╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭

Also:

"We expect that the final number of employees will be several hundred." Yea? Gonna spend $800m over 5 years and you're only gonna have that many people on this? Puts that Sonic Frontiers team size in perspective, I guess.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The dna they share is third person with highly cinematic, motion captured cutscenes. Thats what sets them apart from a lot of the competition, at least in terms of quantity and consistency. They play differently, but they all have great cutscenes (and generally good stories / single player bc that pairs nicely together). They likely share a lot of tech as Horizon and God of War and Spider Man and TLOU and Days Gone and Ghosts and Ratchet all "look similar" in a way. There's a familiar sense of production behind them all which is quite impressive when we're talking multiple studios and teams doing their own work on different IP.

Only Gears 5 and Halo Infinite are games with similar production values and story/direction to come out of XGS recently i think. Maybe Gears Tactics but that's less immersive some may argue.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
But lest you all think this is actually a big deal for Sega..

From VGC:

So basically.... What is Super Game? Sega says: .╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭

Also:

"We expect that the final number of employees will be several hundred." Yea? Gonna spend $800m over 5 years and you're only gonna have that many people on this? Puts that Sonic Frontiers team size in perspective, I guess.

So they are after a cultural phenomenon type hit i.e., Fortnite, Minecraft etc. Well good luck I suppose? It's pretty nebulous given the other descriptors are standard in the AAA space - global release, multi-language support, AAA budget etc.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well one angle (Twitter) is the console-warrior who lumps them in as "sad dad walking simulators" or "one and done games" - in terms of why they are lumped together, in a negative context with this perspective I've come across. All it really means is high budget/production value SP games, as gameplay/tone/story are all vastly different.
Yep. And if everyone said, I wish Microsoft could fund a few more high budget, high production, HIGHLY POLISHED SP games, I don't think many people would say anything except "Yea, awesome, go do it." The framing vs. Sony is the problem. Confuses the ask, and it makes the goal impossible to measure.

The dna they share is third person with highly cinematic, motion captured cutscenes. Thats what sets them apart from a lot of the competition, at least in terms of quantity and consistency. They play differently, but they all have great cutscenes (and generally good stories / single player bc that pairs nicely together).

Only Gears 5 and Halo Infinite are games with similar production values and story/direction to come out of XGS recently i think. Maybe Gears Tactics but that's less immersive some may argue.
Mm. Mocap. I guess I didn't consider that aspect. I could expand that to maybe quality of acting [performance and voice] and/or polish in presentation. So are we saying we want movies in our games? Is it time to bring the Quantum Break TV show back?

I do wonder if QB2 would satisfy what people are asking for Re: all this. It ticks the boxes, certainly. And yet, as mentioned, the goalposts have already moved in my brain as I type this.

Why is Raz so tall??? Ew, I hate it.

ez123 Oh you're right, it is the tiny, tiny head... weird...

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
So they are after a cultural phenomenon type hit i.e., Fortnite, Minecraft etc. Well good luck I suppose? It's pretty nebulous given the other descriptors are standard in the AAA space - global release, multi-language support, AAA budget etc.
I think that ultimately yes, they are just hoping for a single hit on that level that they can then use to bankroll the rest of their operation like EPIC does with Fortnite. They want a cash cow live service game like most other publishers have.

Status
Not open for further replies.