• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2020
I was listening to a particular daily gaming news show the other week, and a particular host was talking about the different approaches between Xbox and PlayStation. He was saying how with Game Pass, Xbox aren't going for the big budget, game of the year-style games... and that was ok. And it's like... really? What on earth do you think Avowed, Fable, Hellblade, Perfect Dark etc are? Indie 2D side-scrollers?? He basically stopped short of saying that third person cinematic games are the only ones that matter. And that's a really terrible line of thought to propagate.

latest

adam3s

Mar 17, 2021
Got to be honest, I'm lost on the current discussion that's happening. If people want Sony style games, why don't they buy a PlayStation? Room in the market for both consoles to offer something different (room in the market for at least 3 consoles!).

1st Party needs to offer diversity, true, and that can include 3rd person 'cinematic' games but if someone bought an Xbox then came on here saying they wanted Xbox to be more like Nintendo - think most would just question why that person bought an Xbox in the first place.

I like that the three consoles are offering something different, so don't get the push for Xbox to be like Sony. Yeah, Sony games get a lot of attention but so do Nintendo games, as they have their own identity that attracts its own audience.

During much of the Xbox One generation, Xbox lost its identity but with games like: Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, and Halo Infinite - not to mention Game Pass, they are building it back up - and it is turning heads and getting more attention on Xbox again. Once the big RPGs that Xbox has lined up start releasing, they will have a lot of eyes on them.

Also, let studios play to their strengths. Sony are well placed to create the types of games they do, as they have the studios and the support network set up for it. Chasing trends rarely works out, look at Sony during a lot of the PS3 era - releasing a bunch of FPS games that didn't get half the attention or acclaim as Halo.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Even though I frequent the PS OT, it is entertaining to see how familiar the discussions are here. "What genre of games are Xbox missing? Who will Microsoft buy next? What unannounced games are in development? There's gotta be another showcase coming up, right?" Replace Xbox and Microsoft with Sony and PlayStation and you have the PS OT. We all want something new to talk about and our patience often grows thin as we hover around the keyboard all day. Sometimes you just gotta take a break and play some games. Game Pass has a lot to choose from, after all. It is going be a very exciting generation with both MS and Sony making big moves to make their platforms stronger. Let's have fun with that instead of worrying about something we can't control.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft has acquired, what, 15 studios over the course of the past 4 years and are primed to have a console generation with the most ambitious first party lineup that the industry has ever seen and people are still unhappy. Lol.

That's not to say that there aren't gaps in the Xbox that Microsoft could aim to fill…but let's not discredit their already incredible attempt to do so. Each OEM has gaps in their portfolio. For as much as people want a "Sony" game in this thread, the PS OT has the same amount of people hoping for just one of the ~9 RPGs MS has in development.

People just need to relax, it'll be a great generation for everybody.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This is what I find ridiculous, Sony is the one who saw the gap not the fans, Sony.

Playstation fans would always say their lineup was diverse when in reality they just released the same games over and over with a different coat of paint.

MS is actually releasing diversity, I don't see how diversity equals 3rd person games.

This 3rd person game nonsense sounds like the next evolution of Xbox has no games/Xbox only has Halo/Gears/Forza.

I almost seems Xbox will only be good enough if its Playstation.

the reason why we go round with these arguments is because people tend to respond in bad faith.

People go "Guys, third person, cinematic, graphically rich games are what a large section of the market seems to love. It'd be great if Xbox makes (or shows off) some more of that" and for some weird reason, folks take it as an attack on xbox or (like you're doing) a claim that Microsoft's games aren't diverse.

90% of the time, these are well meaning suggestions.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
This is what I find ridiculous, Sony is the one who saw the gap not the fans, Sony.

Playstation fans would always say their lineup was diverse when in reality they just released the same games over and over with a different coat of paint.

MS is actually releasing diversity, I don't see how diversity equals 3rd person games.

This 3rd person game nonsense sounds like the next evolution of Xbox has no games/Xbox only has Halo/Gears/Forza.

I almost seems Xbox will only be good enough if its Playstation.

This is a bit ridiculous. Don't know why there is constant comparisons between line-ups, and shitting on the other side. I see it on both ends; "PS only has 3rd person walking simulators", "Xbox only has FPS games". As if a specific camera perspective is all that matters with respect to a games diversity, genre, gameplay, or tone.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
User warned: Antagonizing another member
Microsoft has acquired, what, 15 studios over the course of the past 4 years and are primed to have a console generation with the most ambitious first party lineup that the industry has ever seen and people are still unhappy. Lol.

That's not to say that there aren't gaps in the Xbox that Microsoft could aim to fill…but let's not discredit their already incredible attempt to do so. Each OEM has gaps in their portfolio. For as much as people want a "Sony" game in this thread, the PS OT has the same amount of people hoping for just one of the ~9 RPGs MS has in development.

People just need to relax, it'll be a great generation for everybody.

Lmao yup. "Paging PlanetSmasher"

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft certainly have the resources to produce third person games in addition to all of the first person games they're doing and they have studios creative enough to put their own spin on it.

They are..? Compulsion's new game is third person, Fable is third person, Gears is third person, Hellblade 2 is third person, Indiana Jones is likely third person. That's five games and we haven't even gotten into some games offering multiple perspectives.

Do they have as many has Sony? No. Just like Sony has no answer to Microsoft's western RPGs like Elder Scrolls or Starfield or FPS like Halo and Doom or RTS like Halo Wars 2 and Age of Empires.

No one is saying they shouldn't invest in third person games and they are. They could even be investing more and it would be great, but they need to define what makes Xbox unique. And as I said in my previous post, they are, by not doing everything the same way as the other guys.

This is a fair point I didn't consider because I still don't see Bethesda, the publisher, and all of their studios as part of Xbox proper when I'm talking about XGS. It's not ill-intended, just something that takes a little more time and something didn't have on my radar when I wrote that post.

They are however, even if they're a seperate entity and that's very important in helping defining what Xbox is. They need to get to the point where people ask, why aren't Sony doing the kind of games Microsoft is? They were there previously with Xbox Live, XBLA, titles like Halo, Gears, Bioshock and Mass Effect. Not everything done in-house, but with stuff associated with Xbox. This is what they need again, not necessarily the same type of titles or genres, but things that make people ask "hmm, why isn't that on Playstation?".

For now we still haven't felt the full weight of the Zenimax acquisition since titles like Deathloop, Quake, Ghostwire Tokyo aren't exclusive (well, timed to PS5 :)) and there still hasn't been an ID shooter or a Bethesda single player RPG or even a mindshare driver like an exclusive Arkane game. That'll take time, but it will happen eventually.

Voodoopeople put it better when he talked about a gap in their portfolio, which is a better description of what I meant to say.

There will always be gaps. I listed five third person games above and obviously they could have more. No one is saying otherwise and if they have more cash on top of the 10+ billion they spent since the Minecraft acquisition, sure, start filling out the gaps. The reality is, any first party has gaps, even more so if five games isn't enough to plug the hole, but this time they also have clear strengths in many areas, their competitors are leaving gaps.

You're also right to say that in the end, it's all about production values for me and that's what I'm missing the most from XGS. I assume most of the time, when people bring up Sony, it's because some of the games they publish tend to really show the budget and maybe that's why it's so easy to point to their 3rd person action adventures when it's actually about the money they put behind these games.

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Production value and polish is what some of those Xbox first party games lack.

Last edited:

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Jez's hinting on Compulsion's next game got me hyped. Really excited for that studio and what they're able to achieve with the proper funding/resources.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

They had five studios in 2018 (Rare, Mojang, 343i, Coalition and Turn 10), before they started buying and building. They spent 10+ billion since the Minecraft acquisition and today has the largest first party in the industry with 23 studios.

People begged them for more single player games and they now have titles like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield exclusively and studios like Arkane, Obsidian and inxile working for Xbox. They're bringing back legacy titles like Perfect Dark and Fable. And they're almost giving Game Pass away due to the conversion trick allowing up to three years of Gold to become Game Pass Ultimate.

Yes, they're in a transition phase, so not everything has come to fruition yet, but this is the strongest Xbox has ever been in terms of structure and line-up.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
They had five studios in 2018 (Rare, Mojang, 343i, Coalition and Turn 10), before they started buying and building. They spent 10+ billion since the Minecraft acquisition and today has the largest first party in the industry with 23 studios.

People begged them for more single player games and they now have titles like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield exclusively and studios like Arkane, Obsidian and inxile working for Xbox. They're bringing back legacy titles like Perfect Dark and Fable. And they're almost giving Game Pass away due to the conversion trick allowing up to three years of Gold to become Game Pass Ultimate.

Yes, they're in a transition phase, so not everything has come to fruition yet, but this is the strongest Xbox has ever been in terms of structure and line-up.
Ya know, when you lay it out like this, we really have come a long way.

Feels good.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Jez's hinting on Compulsion's next game got me hyped. Really excited for that studio and what they're able to achieve with the proper funding/resources.
I think what Compulsion really needed was financial safety in order to actually have a vision for their game. We Happy Few suffered BECAUSE it was crowdsourced. Once they revealed the game at E3, they realized what was promised through the campaign and what everyone wanted more of were drastically different things (one promised a randomized survival game and the other essentially pushed for a narrative experience in an interesting world).

These clashed on release and it explains why the game seemed to not know what it wanted to be. Then came the DLCs which heavily shifted towards the latter and generally are viewed as what We Happy Few really was meant to be. The final DLC "We all fall down" was fantastic and if they really cement themselves into making interesting worlds with interesting characters and stories, I think they will do great.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I actually love that MS has a very strong "social style" or shared-with-others gaming experiences. I tend to find gaming more enjoyable with others than alone. It is hard to have these shared experiences with certain types of games. I do not mean to take a way how much others enjoy them, though.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020

People just want to see them show the games. And by games, I mean exclusives other than the big 3 (Halo, Gears, Forza). They have a lot in development and I'm sure when that happens, people will shut up. But we have to see something (that isn't CGI). Until that happens, the talks will continue

And it doesn't need to be a full in-depth gameplay show like Horizon 2 got. A simple gameplay montage like Forspoken or GOW: Ragnarok got is enough.

But theres games thats been in development for 3+ years that we haven't seen anything of

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It was last Friday in his info dump on the Xbox Two pod. If I remember right, he said something like he wasn't hyped for Compulsion's game before but he has heard some stuff recently that made him VERY hyped for it. I think he was hinting at a bigger budget and possibly setting/gameplay of it.

This bad boy is mine.

Does that screen have haptic feedback for the button presses?

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I think we can probably discuss these topics without resorting to takes like "Sony only make movie games", which often look a bit warry. Let's not do that please.

Let's also not accuse thread regulars of posting in bad faith because you disagree with them, either. By all means, disagree. But be civil, please.

In other news, my copy of Lost Judgment turned up today!

This should be threadmarked in every thread going forward.

You know what, this is a great idea. canderous do you mind if I threadmark your post on Game Pass conversion rates? It's a good thing to have easily at hand.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

This bad boy is mine.

I have a Surface Duo and it does have this feature for games with touch controls. It works fine, the software is a little fucky in terms of rotating and spanning, but hopefully they'll fix that. It's a neat feature, especially if you don't want to carry extra shit. I recently bought an old 2nd hand iPhone and a backbone grip and I kind of prefer that as a portable gaming device, but if I'm not going on a long or planned trip, the Duo with Touch controls still works and I'll always have it with me.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Sure, these concepts are probably just that: concepts, but they're fun enough to spark the imagination. One thing I know for sure: There is more Minecraft coming. I know from trusted sources that Mojang has at least two all-new projects that aren't Minecraft or Minecraft Dungeons, although I have no idea exactly what those games might look like. Perhaps we'll discover that all of those pixel-style art posts were in fact teases for full-blown projects ... or maybe not. One can hope, though.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It was last Friday in his info dump on the Xbox Two pod. If I remember right, he said something like he wasn't hyped for Compulsion's game before but he has heard some stuff recently that made him VERY hyped for it. I think he was hinting at a bigger budget and possibly setting/gameplay of it.
Hmm. Now I'm hyped too. thanks for the info.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Surface Duo and it does have this feature for games with touch controls. It works fine, the software is a little fucky in terms of rotating and spanning, but hopefully they'll fix that. It's a neat feature, especially if you don't want to carry extra shit. I recently bought an old 2nd hand iPhone and a backbone grip and I kind of prefer that as a portable gaming device, but if I'm not going on a long or planned trip, the Duo with Touch controls still works and I'll always have it with me.

Honestly, I just need the dual screens for reading manga and watching YouTube.

Gaming is a bonus.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'm just stoked we're getting a diverse variety of both first person and third person titles.

For First-person you have: Halo, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Whatever ID's working on, Redfall, Outer Worlds 2, Inexile's RPG, etc.
For 3rd you have: Fable, Gears, Everwild, Ninja Theory's various titles, Compulsion Games, State of Decay 3, etc.

And then you have Starfield, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls which offer both.

Plenty of choice, plenty of options.

yeps, and plenty of big production and cinematic games in there also :)

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
can you really blame them when Sony keeps moneyhatting some of the biggest AAA jrpgs for the foreseeable future. All MS needs to do is fund a sequel to LO or a brand new IP or just create a studio to tackle the genre.

I don't blame anyone, I'm part of that same group of people lol

But yeah, LO2 is my dream game!

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I think what Compulsion really needed was financial safety in order to actually have a vision for their game. We Happy Few suffered BECAUSE it was crowdsourced. Once they revealed the game at E3, they realized what was promised through the campaign and what everyone wanted more of were drastically different things (one promised a randomized survival game and the other essentially pushed for a narrative experience in an interesting world).

These clashed on release and it explains why the game seemed to not know what it wanted to be. Then came the DLCs which heavily shifted towards the latter and generally are viewed as what We Happy Few really was meant to be. The final DLC "We all fall down" was fantastic and if they really cement themselves into making interesting worlds with interesting characters and stories, I think they will do great.
I'll never forget that first E3 trailer for We Happy Few, and being astounded/impressed by the tone they had constructed for the game. I ultimately never got around to playing We Happy Few - really need to do that

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
can you really blame them when Sony keeps moneyhatting some of the biggest AAA jrpgs for the foreseeable future. All MS needs to do is fund a sequel to LO or a brand new IP or just create a studio to tackle the genre.
To be honest, I don't even know if Playstation is moneyhatting them. May just be that the publishers feel there is little incentive to bring them to Xbox unless they have a corresponding Game Pass agreement (with the cash that brings)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Y'all want third person games but MS devs and their third party partners for the most part want something different. 😉

I mean Xbox has 3P/FP/RPG/SIM/RACER/INDIES/STRATEGY/MMO/MOBILE games, so yeah they are good :)
and if more studios come along and they want to do more 3P, thats all good too :)

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of the better diversity of Xbox 1st party.

Jez Corden again recently reiterated his knowledge of Mojang working on 2 distinct projects that aren't Minecraft or Dungeons. I wonder what event/when they'd get revealed.

Is minecon in and of itself big enough? TGAs?

Or just leave it for e3?

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017

I agree, I think they had an awesome trailer that put WAY too much attention on a game that they weren't ready to deliver.

I played it after years of patches with DLC and thought it was amazing.

He basically said he's heard info on what they're working on and is VERY interested in it now. Didn't want to leak it or anything, but that it caught his attention.

I can't wait for more, loved We Happy Few

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Jez Corden again recently reiterated his knowledge of Mojang working on 2 distinct projects that aren't Minecraft or Dungeons. I wonder what event/when they'd get revealed.

Or just leave it for e3?
Mojang working on projects not Minecraft related would be pretty surprising, but very welcome. Or they'd be different genres using the Minecraft IP like Dungeons?

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget that first E3 trailer for We Happy Few, and being astounded/impressed by the tone they had constructed for the game. I ultimately never got around to playing We Happy Few - really need to do that
We Happy Few after the patches, the DLC, and on Series X hardware is a very fun game. Feels like a late gen 360 game to me. Has some dated mechanics and gameplay, but the writing and world are so great. It's a wonderful experience, I think.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
We Happy Few after the patches, the DLC, and on Series X hardware is a very fun game. Feels like a late gen 360 game to me. Has some dated mechanics and gameplay, but the writing and world are so great. It's a wonderful experience, I think.
If I am looking for a singleplayer story experience, you think its worthwhile?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
People need to stop this dumb fanboy/bias accusation shit, just because people don't think MS needs to invest heavily in a specific sub-genre of games. You don't need to write a couple of paragraphs about popularity/market share/platform interest/bla bla bla etc, just admit you selfishly want more of them because you like them. We don't need a bunch of feigned reasoning. Let's get some stuff out of the way, MS has by far the most diverse first party out there. MS has plenty of third person games in development, MS has cinematic third person games in development. MS is not lacking in them, when you have a varied first party output it should result in two or three releases in a particular genre/sub-genre not a ton. MS has plenty of other genres/sub-genres which it has not invested in (arcade/kart racers, JRPGs, fighting games), these are in need of investment not a particular sub-genre you like. Seriously go into the Nintendo OT and post the same thing, see what response you'll get 😂

It gets really hard to take these type of post seriously when you open with "You're not going to personally hurt Phil Spencer...", this is platform warring nonsense not people who aren't invested in your favourite sub-genre of game at the detriment of anything else. Like come on, making Halo into a third person shooter. One of the most iconic FPS franchises ever made, it literally elevated the entire genre and console shooters on its own. If you want to see mass outcry and anger, then tell people they're turning Halo into a TPS. I love third person cinematic games as much as anyone, but stop this nonsense.

Yep, let me guess... was it Tim 😂

lol nice post.

Sep 8, 2019

Or just leave it for e3?
Remember New Game 1.exe and New Game 2.exe when they revealed their new Logo(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.