• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh absolutely. They've lots of 3rd person titles in development. I don't think that's a problem. I think a more appropriate/accurate complaint is that Microsoft is lacking in 3rd Person cinematic titles, which a lot of people seem to love, there's clearly a huge vocal market for, and is where their biggest competitor really flexes. In that list above, Hellblade 2 and Compulsion's next game are really their only answers there.
Ah personally I'm so burnt out from that they can stay far the hell away

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Oh absolutely. They've lots of 3rd person titles in development. I don't think that's a problem. I think a more appropriate/accurate complaint is that Microsoft is lacking in 3rd Person cinematic titles, which a lot of people seem to love, there's clearly a huge vocal market for, and is where their biggest competitor really flexes. In that list above, Hellblade 2 and Compulsion's next game are really their only answers there.
Yeah I understand that cinematic 3rd person is what people and critics enjoy, but it annoys me that that's the standard for a "good" or worthy game.

Psychonauts 2 is third person but not ""cinematic"" yet has some of the best storytelling and writing I've experienced in a long time. While I enjoy uncharted and God of War a lot I'm getting a little tired of the formula

Game Pass conversion rates

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
If I have gamepass ultimate can I still buy a regular gamepass voucher to add more months?

Does gamepass ultimate prohibit the lower tier?
You can add it, but it won't be 1:1 to Ultimate.

Token says…You get…
1 month of Gold20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Gold50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold8 months of Ultimate
1 month of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)2 months of Ultimate
6 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)4 months of Ultimate
12 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)5 months of Ultimate
24 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)10 months of Ultimate
1 month of Xbox Game Pass PC Games20 days of Ultimate

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
You can add it, but it won't be 1:1 to Ultimate.

Token says…You get…
1 month of Gold20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Gold50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold8 months of Ultimate
1 month of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)2 months of Ultimate
6 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)4 months of Ultimate
12 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)5 months of Ultimate
24 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)10 months of Ultimate
1 month of Xbox Game Pass PC Games20 days of Ultimate
This should be threadmarked in every thread going forward.

Thank you.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019

Yeah, Microsoft definitely needs to get some non western developers or something. I want some 3rd person RPG's with fast and tight gameplay like Dragons Dogma. All these FP-RPGs that are being made by XGS are going to have crap melee combat. They were fine in the 90's with M&M Xeen, Ad&d Darkmoon and TES:Arena, but they dont work with modern 3D open worlds

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
just got a series s and I'm confused :(

when i click on a game in gamepass, install or download or whatever, nothing happens? It seems like I can only add games from the microsoft store?

I also can't seem to figure out how to view my downloads? like I have to search the game through gamepass and then click "view in queue" or something, but there has to be a simpler way to view downloads. on 360 all you had to do was press the home button and it was right there but I pressed the home button here and I didn't see anything related to downloads?

and then in the queue, there's no indication that it's downloading and after like 10+ minutes the download/install is still at 0%

help :C

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis

when i click on a game in gamepass, install or download or whatever, nothing happens? It seems like I can only add games from the microsoft store?

I also can't seem to figure out how to view my downloads? like I have to search the game through gamepass and then click "view in queue" or something, but there has to be a simpler way to view downloads. on 360 all you had to do was press the home button and it was right there but I pressed the home button here and I didn't see anything related to downloads?

and then in the queue, there's no indication that it's downloading and after like 10+ minutes the download/install is still at 0%

You can view your queue by:

press home button on controller > My games and apps > manage > queue.

So you dont need to go to the store section to download them. As for gamepass, you should be able to download right from there. When you click on the game you should get an option that says "install" which you press and it should start downloading. If it doesn't and or its staying at 0, it could be a connection issue. I would hard reset the console as well as your router/modem. Once the router is back up, turn the console back on

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

also are you subscribe to gamepass or is it just gold for you?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I can't even picture that amount of money in cash, talk about rolling in it.
I don't want to necro the Bethesda thread, but I saw this fun post about how big $7.5B actually is from 1 year ago. And I was like.. this is a good question! The thickness of one US $1 bill is 0.0043 inches (0.109mm). 7.5B of those bills stacked into the air would go up 818km. The edge of space is officially 100km up. At 800km, the topmost bills have largely escaped the confines of atmospheric drag entirely and could probably orbit the Earth for a good long while before burning up on reentry. Not bad! [Unless I've done my math wrong. TOTALLY POSSIBLE]

What about volume wise? The dimensions of a $1 bill are 156.1mm x 66.3mm x aforementioned 0.109mm - thus, 1,127 cubic mm. A Series X is 160mm x 160mm x 310mm = 7,936,000 cubic mm - or $7,041 in $1 bills stacked in a rectangular prism. What a steal at just $500! lol.

The total volume of $7.5B in $1 bills would be 156.1 x 66.3 x 0.109 x 7,500,000,000 = 8.46 TRILLION cubic mm. Which is 8,461 cubic meters. How big is that? Well, just under 3 and a half Olympic sized pools. So, you can definitely literally SWIM in this money. But it's not as much as you'd like if you wanted to build a monument to the eternal supremacy of cash, either.

I spent way too much time on this because I'm bad at math. lol

Is Harmonix ever brought up in Acquisition talk in general. I feel like they are a forgotten studio that I wish any company would give a shot to make whatever they want.
I bring it up occasionally and I know a few others have. It makes sense from the perspective that music games have become very, very niche. But, they're still expensive as ever to produce, with licensing and all sorts of stuff. Harmonix used to be under the Activision arm, but since they're independent now, it's probably a bit more challenging to pull off some of those deals (though, they seem to still be doing fine). Big companies, like MS, would tend to have easier times negotiating contracts [RIP Groove..]. This seems like a perfect Game Pass opportunity. A small, but dedicated, niche of gamers who can support an ongoing stream of revenue and DLC. But with POTENTIAL appeal to a lot of people who aren't sure whether they want to really jump in or not. Plus, they can kind of go off the beaten path with their games (kinda like Fuser, to some degree). Not the type of thing people subscribe to Game Pass for, but potentially one of the reasons that they choose to maintain the sub over time.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Yes. Just got my broken Series X back in the mail after not sending it back for half a year. I had this exact same problem. I normal-restarted the console and then it seemed to work (but was still a little temperamental at first).

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bring it up occasionally and I know a few others have. It makes sense from the perspective that music games have become very, very niche. But, they're still expensive as ever to produce, with licensing and all sorts of stuff. Harmonix used to be under the Activision arm, but since they're independent now, it's probably a bit more challenging to pull off some of those deals (though, they seem to still be doing fine). Big companies, like MS, would tend to have easier times negotiating contracts [RIP Groove..]. This seems like a perfect Game Pass opportunity. A small, but dedicated, niche of gamers who can support an ongoing stream of revenue and DLC. But with POTENTIAL appeal to a lot of people who aren't sure whether they want to really jump in or not. Plus, they can kind of go off the beaten path with their games (kinda like Fuser, to some degree). Not the type of thing people subscribe to Game Pass for, but potentially one of the reasons that they choose to maintain the sub over time.
It does seem like a good fit for Game Pass. Lots of DLC for those really into it and a niche experience for people to try for "free" for those who are curious.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I reset the system and things seem to be fixed. I guess it was just a glitch? Hopefully this isn't an indication that my system is borked...

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Just completed Tales of Arise (1000/1000), great game. Not perfect but I highly recommend it nonetheless.

Ready for Lost Judgment now, whenever it hits the door of my house.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my Series X from Wal-Mart. Was able to recover my old ass Xbox 360 Gamertag through sheer will & effort (its been over 10 years).
And I did the 3 year GamePass deal for $1. Feels good.

First up...Ori.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree they should invest more in this area, it's clearly a strong element in attracting a large portion of new gamers, despite what people say here. It doesn't have to be the same story or the same game, it's something I'd personally like to see more of. I think I'd count Fable as well. I know it's an RPG but most likely a action RPG like Zelda/Witcher, heavily focused on 3rd person movement and combat, rather then something like Fallout/Grounded where you feel like your controlling a camera rather then a character (which puts me off using this type of 3rd person mode).

Last edited:

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

Indeed...and don't mess with them being RPGs, co-op, GAAS or any other funky business. Just straight up 12hr AAA bangers, please.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Great to see some anticipation for Tales and Lost Judgment. Can't wait to play both games. I'm an idiot and started with Cyberpunk 2077 and will be blocked for both games after I'm done with it. CP2077 is better than expected tho.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Edit: None of my complaining was 1st party related, so I'll move it.

Are sports games doomed? Is there any merit to a 1st party sports game? MLB The Show works, and maybe having it be 1st party makes some of those edges less sharp. But, on the other hand, it's not like MS has avoided monetization and quality issues in past titles, so 1p is no guarantee of avoiding those issues.

Meh. We need like a MS cycling simulator. Or a MS volleyball. Or a... MS rowing. XD

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah I understand that cinematic 3rd person is what people and critics enjoy, but it annoys me that that's the standard for a "good" or worthy game.

Psychonauts 2 is third person but not ""cinematic"" yet has some of the best storytelling and writing I've experienced in a long time. While I enjoy uncharted and God of War a lot I'm getting a little tired of the formula

I don't anyone is saying these are the standards for 'good' games. Afterall, the frontrunners for GOTY this year don't fit that mold of 'cinematic games'.

People are saying those are very popular and help uplift a brand…and are hoping MS invests more in that space.

I have no idea why there's so much resistance in this thread to simply giving consumers more of what they want to see

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hope it is a self-contained story and that it is epic af.

I'm probably dreaming too big here, but I really hope they don't do smaller content drops for the single player campaign and they really go for it with like annual drops every Fall. I know it's a different time, but I'm hoping they can get on a candence where they are putting out close to ODST/Reach size updates yearly with alternating teams working on each drop. How fucking epic would that be.

If they go with smaller drops that would deflate any hype players have and kill much needed momentum a 10 yr plan would entail I think.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I agree they should invest more in this area, it's clearly a strong element in attracting a large portion of new gamers, despite what people say here.

nailed it perfectly

People hear 'next generation consoles' and want to see spectacular visuals and blockbuster set-pieces. That's all there is to this.
Can't wait to see Hellblade 2 in action.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
From a business perspective there's plenty of merit to a first-party sports game, as MLB The Show demonstrates, there's just not much merit from the license holders, as MLB The Show demonstrates.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's not necessarily the cinematic 3rd person games people want. People just like visually stunning big games. Cyberpunk 2077 was probably the most hyped game ever, with people calling it the GOTY before it even released, and it's not third person. But it had shiny graphics (on high end PCs) and cinematic cut scenes (frankly, those cut scenes were incredibly tedious and got boring very fast for me, but that's beside the point).
So first person games can absolutely be what people want and be the critics' darling. All it takes is the right marketing--and actually a great game. As CP2077 proved, great visuals aren't enough.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
I don't anyone is saying these are the standards for 'good' games. Afterall, the frontrunners for GOTY this year don't fit that mold of 'cinematic games'.

People are saying those are very popular and help uplift a brand…and are hoping MS invests more in that space.

I have no idea why there's so much resistance in this thread to simply giving consumers more of what they want to see

You're right. But, certain answers are understandable: after years in which the narrative seems to consider worthy of acclamation mainly the games with a strongly cinematic cut. I like them, so I'm also happy to play them. But, I would also like the press and players to better treat those games that perhaps have a poorly curated plot (e.g. The Ascent) but many other merits, etc . ..

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Looking at it laid out like this....the complaints seem...extra? They have plenty of third person
Yes guys we need more 3rd person cinematic...zzzzzzzzzzz

It's not hard to understand why people want more 3rd person AAA games with great production values from XGS. People want it because there's a market for it. They don't have to look and play like Sony's games but having more games that have a focus on that kind of storytelling isn't a bad thing. It also doesn't have to be an either this or that, so I don't get why people are being so defensive about it. Fact is that Sony's first party games have been critically or at least commercially very successful (sometimes both), so why wouldn't you want your platform of choice to emulate that success one way or the other? It's like saying "I don't care about Japanese games, therefore Xbox doesn't need any" which is completely besides the point. Having your platform known to only cater to a specific market or genre limits the success and growth, obviously. Like, it's fine if your don't play or care about 3rd person games. There are 10 FP games coming from XGS, you don't have to worry about anything (lol @ listing Fallout and TES as "3rd person" because they have that option). But even the biggest fanboy should want better first party diversity if they want their favorite brand to succeed, not because they should chase "trends" (a genre or a camera perspective isn't a trend) but because it attracts more customers and why wouldn't you want that.

Also, putting an "etc." at the end of your list doesn't make it magically longer if there isn't more.

Elano

Banned
Aug 4, 2021
Y'all want third person games but MS devs and their third party partners for the most part want something different. 😉

Beta Ray Bill

Jun 10, 2020
People want third person cinematic games because that's what Sony does. If Sony did first person shooters, that's what people would want the most.

Dec 11, 2017
Sony may have a lot of 3rd person cinematic games. You know what? They're great. People clearly think they're great. They sell great.

It wouldn't hurt Xbox at all to have a group of games of that ilk. I'd even love a Halo game like this. Have a crack. At least the newness of it would get folks excited.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
People want third person cinematic games because that's what Sony does. If Sony did first person shooters, that's what people would want the most.

To be honest, I do think it's kind of a fair argument, because the fact that it's what Sony does means that there are none on Xbox. I do really like this genre, and in switching over from PS to Xbox being my primary console, it feels like something I left behind. For better or for worse, this isn't a genre that's highly invested in by the third parties (unlike something like open-world games, RPGs, or first person shooters, of which there ARE many good third party versions), so if you want cinematic third-person games, you either have to get a PlayStation or hope that Microsoft invests in the genre. Aside from Asobo, I don't know that I can think of one game in this genre from a third party that's worth much.

I'm definitely excited for Hellblade and Compulsion's next game, but I'll admit, when I found out that Perfect Dark was another first-person game, I was also a little disappointed.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Sony may have a lot of 3rd person cinematic games. You know what? They're great. People clearly think they're great. They sell great.

It wouldn't hurt Xbox at all to have a group of games of that ilk. I'd even love a Halo game like this. Have a crack. At least the newness of it would get folks excited.
Pretty much the reason I have owned playstations...I game 99% on xbox but when a new 1st party Sony game drops I am all over them.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

That's exactly what I'm getting at.

Even if you didn't enjoy that type of game before, who says your favorite developer wouldn't do it better? Maybe even with an IP you're actually interested in or something completely new to stretch their legs a little or maybe a bit of both, like how Playground Games is doing Fable. I'd love it see more of it.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the reason I have owned playstations...I game 99% on xbox but when a new 1st party Sony game drops I am all over them.

What bothers me is how people so readily draw lines in the sand. Like damn, can't someone like both first person and third person?

I like that Perfect Dark is going to be first person. The studio is saying all the right things so far and I can't wait to see more of the game. But damn would I love for Microsoft to give me a God of War or The Last of Us 2.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
What bothers me is how people so readily draw lines in the sand. Like damn, can't someone like both first person and third person?

I like that Perfect Dark is going to be first person. The studio is saying all the right things so far and I can't wait to see more of the game. But damn would I love for Microsoft to give me a God of War or The Last of Us 2.
If a game is good I am playing it.

Elano

Banned
Aug 4, 2021

Most people feel the way you do. There's just an undercurrent of people saying MS *needs* more cinematic third person games... When most devs and publishers period don't even make those types of games.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Xbox wants whatever it's first party studios want to make. I guess if Phil decides he wants to corner the 3P AAA market he will have to buy Sony. It's pretty obvious that this isn't going to happen and he's happy to leave that genre to Sony.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to understand why people want more 3rd person AAA games with great production values from XGS. People want it because there's a market for it. They don't have to look and play like Sony's games but having more games that have a focus on that kind of storytelling isn't a bad thing. It also doesn't have to be an either this or that, so I don't get why people are being so defensive about it. Fact is that Sony's first party games have been critically or at least commercially very successful (sometimes both), so why wouldn't you want your platform of choice to emulate that success one way or the other?

Because Microsoft has a ton of studios specialized in other areas and as a company they need to find what defines Xbox and sets it apart from competitors. And they're already doing that: Game Pass, backwards compatibility, FPS, western RPGs, co-op, survival games, imsims etc. Following Sony is chasing a moving target. If they had done cinematic games, people would be asking why they don't do Ubisoft template games like Sony. If they did that people would be asking why they're doing regular Ubisoft template games and not superhero Ubisoft template games like Sony and on and on it goes.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't do third person games - and they are - but it's more important they find their own niche that sets them apart. Nintendo and Sony do that as well.

Microsoft needs to get to the place, where people ask, why aren't Sony doing the stuff Microsoft is?

But even the biggest fanboy should want better first party diversity if they want their favorite brand to succeed, not because they should chase "trends" (a genre or a camera perspective isn't a trend) but because it attracts more customers and why wouldn't you want that.

Microsoft has as much diversity as any first party, if not more so. This year's releases goes from simulation (Flight Sim) to platformer (Psychonauts 2) to FPS (Quake, Halo Infinite, Deathloop) to RTS (AoE4) to driving (FH5). They've released updates and expansions to MMOs and survival games like State of Decay 2, Fallout 76, Grounded and what ever genre Sea of Thieves is.

This isn't about first party diversity, because if it was it would be immediately clear that is one area, they're not lacking.

It's not necessarily the cinematic 3rd person games people want. People just like visually stunning big games.

I agree with this. Production value is a much bigger area some Xbox releases lack in, than cinematic games or genre diversity. Some of the teams are simply too small to compete visually and that might make them seem less exciting to some.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox wants whatever it's first party studios want to make. I guess if Phil decides he wants to corner the 3P AAA market he will have to buy Sony. It's pretty obvious that this isn't going to happen and he's happy to leave that genre to Sony.
No reason not to invest in studios that want to make these games though. Its a winning formula, the opportunity for growth is pretty big once they start consistently offering these types of games. Sorry, I just find this sense of taboo blizzare when people mention they want more effort on 3rd person games. It doesn't mean reduction of investment elsewhere.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah there's no real argument that Microsoft first party isn't diverse. They even make third person cinematic action games! They should continue to focus on what the studio is passionate about making.

Also this isn't just a quick "make a game like God of War" thing. God of War is what it is because of the what, 14 year(?) history of the franchise leading up to it's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.