• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
No way we will see any gameplay before E3 2022 at the earliest.

Never say never!

giphy.gif

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Could be another surprise shadow drop like Octopath was.

I was thinking the same thing. Considering how our of nowhere Octopath was I could even see it being announced for Game Pass first wave of September, right before it releases. Though I think Octopath had already been on PC for a minute when it came to Xbox.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Can't imagine TGA getting a trailer for Starfield when it's a year out. Bethesda likes to keep things close so e3 2022 would fit better. Though it definitely would get a lot of attention and reiterate the Xbox exclusive thing.

I think TGA will be Redfall gameplay and maybe something else like.. idk. Avowed or Compulsion

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Re' the tech test radar - "We've heard all the feedback and we have a new iteration that will be in the next preview which will be more in-line with players' expectations."

Bummer. I've really grown to love the spartan ability radar in the ranked H5 playlist and loved that that seemd to be the basis of HI. Seems like a massive step backwards to go back to classic style.

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
I understand what Staten is saying but man, I'm dying for see some campaign gameplay. Let's see if they can bring us something soon.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Re' the tech test radar - "We've heard all the feedback and we have a new iteration that will be in the next preview which will be more in-line with players' expectations."

Bummer. I've really grown to love the spartan ability radar in the ranked H5 playlist and loved that that seemd to be the basis of HI. Seems like a massive step backwards to go back to classic style.
I think thats fine for ranked but not the base social playlist (honestly should just be removed for ranked imo). At the end of the day, it feels more punishing to use given the lack of info it ends up giving.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Just put the new theme up, and man Master Chief is still the coolest character in any video game ever. Absolutely timeless.

Also, I'm confident the campaign will be good. There has yet to be a Halo campaign I haven't enjoyed (yes, even 5; though wasn't my favorite story, the gameplay was still top notch, and I enjoyed it more than any CoD or BF campaign last gen), and even just going off the gameplay in the tech preview, I know I will have a blast with the campaign.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I saw last evening that the Xbox Series S was till in stock at Amazon (US) and its still the same today. Do people just not care about this model? I mean, I know I don't since I have had a Series X since launch, but it feels like MS just should have focused on the XSX this gen
It took me a long time to appreciate it but I still think they should have just focused on the Series X and pushed to make a slimmer cheaper model in 3 years. Because eventually the Series X is going to be a ~$300 console. They want to simply increase their presence in all households and eventually offer cloud gaming so it makes some sense to have a cheaper Series console that eventually can run 4K games over the cloud. PS5 on the other hand should have a slimmer cheaper model out early to late 2023. So I see a scenario where the Series S becomes a streaming box. And a slimmer cheaper Series X competes against the PS5 slim as well.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It took me a long time to appreciate it but I still think they should have just focused on the Series X and pushed to make a slimmer cheaper model in 3 years. Because eventually the Series X is going to be a ~$300 console. They want to simply increase their presence in all households and eventually offer cloud gaming so it makes some sense to have a cheaper Series console that eventually can run 4K games over the cloud. PS5 on the other hand should have a slimmer cheaper model out early to late 2023. So I see a scenario where the Series S becomes a streaming box. And a slimmer cheaper Series X competes against the PS5 slim as well.

They explained that they don't think the X will ever be a $300 console though. That's literally why they made the S. Die shrinks are no longer bringing significant cost savings, just thermal and performance improvements. So they can make a slim, but it won't be any cheaper to make.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
They explained that they don't think the X will ever be a $300 console though. That's literally why they made the S. Die shrinks are no longer bringing significant cost savings, just thermal and performance improvements. So they can make a slim, but it won't be any cheaper to make.
You realize last year's iPhone is on 5nm? and by next year 3nm will be out. By next year there may be 3nm chips in iPhones two nodes ahead of the Series Consoles and PS5. Part of designing console hw is planning for a reduction in cost over time. The only thing I remember them saying is the cost of silicon for the Series X console costed more than usual. But the cost of producing the SoC is going to go down over the years especially considering its already on an old node. The slimmer consoles will most likely have silicon on 5nm nodes which is what's cutting edge today.

But without deviating too much, I really want to play the campaign for Halo Infinite

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
You realize last year's iPhone is on 5nm? and by next year 3nm will be out. By next year there may be 3nm chips in iPhones two nodes ahead of the Series Consoles and PS5. Part of designing console hw is planning for a reduction in cost over time. The only thing I remember them saying is the cost of silicon for the Series X console costed more than usual. But the cost of producing the SoC is going to go down over the years especially considering its already on an old node. The slimmer consoles will most likely have silicon on 5nm nodes which is what's cutting edge today.

But without deviating too much, I really want to play the campaign for Halo Infinite

Iphones have really high profit margins that can soak up the cost of silicon.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Just telling you what Microsoft themselves said, and see the comment above. Maybe the X gets down to $450 or $400 but they needed the S to hit the sub-$300 price point.

But yes, I also really want to play Infinite campaign!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With global chip shortages for at least another year I suspect that whatever cost savings were going to come have been pushed back at least a year and a half. I also wonder if as the storage SSD vs. HDD becomes a bigger proportion of the overall cost of the machine there will likely be less cost savings to be had.

I suspect that they can get the Series S (with a smaller SSD) down to $250 or $200 sooner than they can get the XSX to 400. Next Christmas a $200 Series S would make one hell of a value proposition for a parent, particularly with Gamepass as a way to further make money go much further.

Oct 27, 2017
[
PS5 on the other hand should have a slimmer cheaper model out early to late 2023.
Sony literally already has a new internal revision on the market, and rumor is they're prepping a 6nm revision for 2022 (probably late 2022) to help with shortages too
idk if XSX gets $299 but by 2026? I could see it replace XSS. If XSS (which I have and love) continues to do 20% of all their console sales, I could see them replace it with a cheaper XSX years from now but who knows.
Sony already forecasts PS5 to go down in costs by seemingly 20-30% more by March 2022 from that chart they shared in May. PS5 $499 is already profitable even if by a small margin.

I think that you shouldn't necessarily take Xbox (or any console maker) at the word on the $300/$500 thing with XSX seemingly never getting to $300 because their job is to sell you the $500 system today. They have to say things like that. They could be planning on a $299 or $399 XSX in holiday 2023 or 24 today and they will never tell us until they want to.

as we can see with Sony, costs will come down. Even if die shrinks don't cut costs a lot, they will still go down. When they shrink to 3 or 5nm they can reduce costs with case, fan, cooling, PSU, etc. and the SSDs and RAM must already be coming down soon in price if Sony is already turning a profit and about to make even more profit per unit in 2022.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

The Series S was never a short term play, even Phil Spencer thought that it would really start doing better later down in the generation. Microsoft is making a play at people that usually wait for price drops before they invest in a console, and people that usually invest in a secondary console. They will begin making a case for this when their exclusive content pipeline starts defining the console.

This might be a stronger case if Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop were exclusive to the platform. You can see where they are headed. The cost of the Series X will come down, but as it does, so too will the cost of the Series S.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
No way we will see any gameplay before E3 2022 at the earliest.
I think it's actually very likely that we'll see some gameplay before E3. The question is how early. Both FO4 and FO76 got trailers with gameplay 2 weeks before E3, and then a long gameplay demonstration with Todd at E3. But obviously this time Starfield has much longer announcement to release marketing cycle, so it's possible they'll follow the Skyrim marketing campaign (which is not unlikely, given the fact that Starfield has the exact same release date 11 years later). Skyrim got a gameplay trailer in February 2011, two months after it was announced at TGA 2010 with a cgi trailer. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a gameplay trailer early next year. There's a small chance for TGA too, if they're ready to show it.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Iphones have really high profit margins that can soak up the cost of silicon.
Its more of the economies of scale actually. The rest of the industry will benefit from Apple pushing towards newer nodes. Thats why I see the slimmer gaming console models having 5nm chips. Still behind Apple products but for a console it will be good enough.

Just telling you what Microsoft themselves said, and see the comment above. Maybe the X gets down to $450 or $400 but they needed the S to hit the sub-$300 price point.

But yes, I also really want to play Infinite campaign!

I watched the hotchips presentation as well. You misunderstood what they were talking about. They were talking about the die cost per area becoming more expensive for a new console gen. This was in relation to the BOM of the console compared to the previous gen. It makes sense that the Series X SoC costed more since its relatively a more powerful chip. Remember the Xbox One had a weak CPU/GPU. On the other hand, in the same presentation you can see the cost of silicon reduce from the Xbox One($) to the One S($-) which even had more transistors but on a new node and at a lower cost. The same will be the case for future models of the Series X. It will be on a newer node with slightly better performance but at a lower cost. It wouldn't make sense for MSFT to continue producing the Series X on a 7nm node in 2023 if they can produce a smaller chip at a lower price i.e less die area/less silicon.

We could have another talk about the cost of silicon for a midgen upgrade but again it wont be as expensive as the previous gen for other related reasons. But for the Series X I bet it will have cheaper silicon as the gen progresses.

Sony literally already has a new internal revision on the market, and rumor is they're prepping a 6nm revision for 2022 (probably late 2022) to help with shortages too

Yeah not surprised. The PS5 slim will be a thing sooner rather than later. It also makes me think the Series X will be getting an update especially with the chip shortage. Why waste money on 7nm when you can get better performance with less die area on 5nm. So 2023-2024 they should have something similar to the One S.

I'll settle for seeing it lol

Me too. Its getting a bit frustrating not to see any gameplay footage. It would be crazy if they just launched the game without showing any new footage.

The Series S was never a short term play, even Phil Spencer thought that it would really start doing better later down in the generation. Microsoft is making a play at people that usually wait for price drops before they invest in a console, and people that usually invest in a secondary console. They will begin making a case for this when their exclusive content pipeline starts defining the console.

This might be a stronger case if Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop were exclusive to the platform. You can see where they are headed. The cost of the Series X will come down, but as it does, so too will the cost of the Series S.

Makes sense. Thing is, the Series S will have to compete with the PS5 slim which will eventually hit $299. And also with a cheaper Series X which will also eventually be hitting $299 and even less towards the end of the generation. And with Sony's strategy you can see a mid gen refresh for a $499 console . So I agree that the Series S is a core strategy but the only way it can remain relevant is if it can transform into a cloud gaming device. I see MSFT pushing this aspect as the generation moves forward. 4K TVs are already ubiquitous and towards the end of the generation it would make more sense to buy a 4K $299 PS5 or Series X slim instead of a $199 Series S. The way you promote that Series S is to push xCloud. We can see that happening today as we speak. Instead of paying for 4K ready device you can pay less and still get 4K gaming via the cloud.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Makes sense. Thing is, the Series S will have to compete with the PS5 slim which will eventually hit $299. And also with a cheaper Series X which will also eventually be hitting $299 and even less towards the end of the generation. And with Sony's strategy you can see a mid gen refresh for a $499 console . So I agree that the Series S is a core strategy but the only way it can remain relevant is if it can transform into a cloud gaming device. I see MSFT pushing this aspect as the generation moves forward. 4K TVs are already ubiquitous and towards the end of the generation it would make more sense to buy a 4K $299 PS5 or Series X slim instead of a $199 Series S. The way you promote that Series S is to push xCloud. We can see that happening today as we speak. Instead of paying for 4K ready device you can pay less and still get 4K gaming via the cloud.
The Series S is not just a play against people that would get a PlayStation console, it is also a play for people who own a PlayStation console who would ideally never invest in the Xbox ecosystem.

It is currently a $300 console. It is priced just right, and economic conditions are also not getting better.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
The Series S is not just a play against people that would get a PlayStation console, it is also a play for people who own a PlayStation console who would ideally never invest in the Xbox ecosystem.

It is currently a $300 console. It is priced just right, and economic conditions are also not getting better.
I agree! Makes sense

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
watched the hotchips presentation as well. You misunderstood what they were talking about. They were talking about the die cost per area becoming more expensive for a new console gen. This was in relation to the BOM of the console compared to the previous gen. It makes sense that the Series X SoC costed more since its relatively a more powerful chip. Remember the Xbox One had a weak CPU/GPU. On the other hand, in the same presentation you can see the cost of silicon reduce from the Xbox One($) to the One S($-) which even had more transistors but on a new node and at a lower cost. The same will be the case for future models of the Series X. It will be on a newer node with slightly better performance but at a lower cost. It wouldn't make sense for MSFT to continue producing the Series X on a 7nm node in 2023 if they can produce a smaller chip at a lower price i.e less die area/less silicon.

We could have another talk about the cost of silicon for a midgen upgrade but again it wont be as expensive as the previous gen for other related reasons. But for the Series X I bet it will have cheaper silicon as the gen progresses.

My understanding is that the wafer cost for the more advanced nodes is higher so you don't see as much of a cost benefit from being able to produce more chips per wafer.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
My understanding is that the wafer cost for the more advanced nodes is higher so you don't see as much of a cost benefit from being able to produce more chips per wafer.
TSMC is also raising prices on chips. In the interim, it is not going to get a whole load cheaper to manufacture these consoles.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
TSMC is also raising prices on chips. In the interim, it is not going to get a whole load cheaper to manufacture these consoles.

Storage is the best vector for cost reduction, memory prices aren't getting much better either. Will be interesting to see if they kinda hold prices and just raise storage as the generation goes on.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Its more of the economies of scale actually. The rest of the industry will benefit from Apple pushing towards newer nodes. Thats why I see the slimmer gaming console models having 5nm chips. Still behind Apple products but for a console it will be good enough.

I watched the hotchips presentation as well. You misunderstood what they were talking about. They were talking about the die cost per area becoming more expensive for a new console gen. This was in relation to the BOM of the console compared to the previous gen. It makes sense that the Series X SoC costed more since its relatively a more powerful chip. Remember the Xbox One had a weak CPU/GPU. On the other hand, in the same presentation you can see the cost of silicon reduce from the Xbox One($) to the One S($-) which even had more transistors but on a new node and at a lower cost. The same will be the case for future models of the Series X. It will be on a newer node with slightly better performance but at a lower cost. It wouldn't make sense for MSFT to continue producing the Series X on a 7nm node in 2023 if they can produce a smaller chip at a lower price i.e less die area/less silicon.

Yeah not surprised. The PS5 slim will be a thing sooner rather than later. It also makes me think the Series X will be getting an update especially with the chip shortage. Why waste money on 7nm when you can get better performance with less die area on 5nm. So 2023-2024 they should have something similar to the One S.

Well, as the chart you share shows, a similarly sized SOC is actually more expensive on the newer process (One X vs Series X).

But again, take it up with Microsoft. They're the ones who think there's no path to cost reduce the Series X down to an entry level price like they could with the One or the 360.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-s-big-interview

Xbox system architect Andrew Goosen:

"Moore's Law is certainly not dead! Moore's Law is continuing and we have a good path to 5nm and 3nm, and those are going to bring improved performance and good power," enthuses Goossen. "What they're not bringing any more is a good cost reduction cost per transistor - and so this has foundational impacts to console development, because now we'll get cost reductions, but they're slowing down and it won't be nearly the magnitudes that we've seen before."

"And so that was another one of the reasons why we felt that we really had to do Series S at the beginning because we had to design for the future. For the first time, we had to have the entry-level console at the beginning. Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices. That's not there anymore," Goossen explains.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Storage is the best vector for cost reduction, memory prices aren't getting much better either. Will be interesting to see if they kinda hold prices and just raise storage as the generation goes on.
I think that storage prices should come down. There are going to be improvements on that side be it SSD or RAM and there is a need to differentiate without being too cost prohibitive. That has usually put cost pressure on previous iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.