• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Playing through Senua's Sacrifice and it's a slog. Understand the pace is purposefully slow but the trifecta of environmental audio logs, simple visual puzzles and combat arenas isn't fully doing it for me. Does it pick up? I'm a few hours in and have killed the first boss, making my way to the second, fiery one.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

Pretty fun video from Double Fine showing snippets of the last stretch of development, mainly talking and prioritizing bugs and having their shipping party.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Playing through Senua's Sacrifice and it's a slog. Understand the pace is purposefully slow but the trifecta of environmental audio logs, simple visual puzzles and combat arenas isn't fully doing it for me. Does it pick up? I'm a few hours in and have killed the first boss, making my way to the second, fiery one.
I loved the game throughout, but thought the best section is about halfway through the game. I'd say stick with it a bit longer, it's a short (6-7 hour) game so I think it's worth getting through the end, especially since the sequel is coming.

javycane

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Enjoyed 12 minutes. Solid 8/10 experience.

Shame I messed up and got the forget ending without the remaining one which is Mindfulness. Im not replaying the game just for that sadly.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
My guess for the whole RPG release date thing is that they aren't going to release two similar RPGs in the same time period if they can avoid it.

So for example: Starfield, Avowed, Fallout, Outer Worlds and Elder Scrolls are more Bethesda style RPGs. So I don't think that Avowed will launch holiday 2022, more likely early 23, March or so. If an Outer Worlds game is ever close to releasing to a Fallout or Starfield game, they'll likely put some distance between those as well.

But Avowed and Fable releasing near each other won't be a huge issue, though maybe they'll space them out a few months just in general for better release and Game Pass flow
I don't disagree with your post in general--I think Avowed and Fable can absolutely launch in the same year if they're ready. Besides the aforementioned differences between them, Fable will likely have strong multiplayer elements, which will differentiate it from the other RPGs in development.

That said, there's no evidence that Avowed is a Bethesda style RPG. It could well be a party based RPG, a Bioware-like RPG. We simply don't know. Phil already stated that Avowed is very different from The Elder Scrolls, whatever that means.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
RPG is probably my favorite genre. I love games with different endings depending on choices, dialogue options and rich narrative.

BioWare/Bethesda/Black Isle and Lionhead Studios were my favorite studios. And now Bethesda, Obsidian, inXile are first party developers. Playground Games is developing new Fable. That made me to follow the news about Xbox.

My predictions for Xbox's upcoming RPGs.

2022: Starfield
2023: Avowed
2024: Fable
2025: inXile's next RPG
2026: The Outer Worlds 2 / The Elder Scrolls VI

I think Fallout 5 will be next Xbox's game.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Every Steamworld game has had lots of puzzles, I think. They're not puzzle games, but there's lots of environmental puzzling in them (obviously, in different forms sine the games span so many genres)..

Is anyone else surprised by how few people seem to have progressed to any signficant juncture in The Ascent? Even for middle story missions, the achievements for finishing them are all rare (less than 10% of all players). That's kinda shocking. Maybe not THAT shocking, but definitely not what I expected.. Guess a lot of people launched it, but not so many stuck with it.

RPG is probably my favorite genre. I love games with different endings depending on choices, dialogue options and rich narrative.

BioWare/Bethesda/Black Isle and Lionhead Studios were my favorite studios. And now Bethesda, Obsidian, inXile are first party developers. Playground Games is developing new Fable. That made me to follow the news about Xbox.

I usually stay out of these release date predictions. but I personally doubt they're going to give TOW2 a 6 year dev cycle. Especially when freaking Elder Scrolls 6 would be coming out 4 years about Starfield. But who knows lol. Personally, I'd put it around 2024, since 2023 is so packed. But.. honestly, I don't even know why they'd be announcing the game this early if it were THAT far out. TOW2 is not Fable. It didn't need to be announced. I wonder if we don't see that sooner than expected.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Every Steamworld game has had lots of puzzles, I think. They're not puzzle games, but there's lots of environmental puzzling in them (obviously, in different forms sine the games span so many genres)..

Is anyone else surprised by how few people seem to have progressed to any signficant juncture in The Ascent? Even for middle story missions, the achievements for finishing them are all rare (less than 10% of all players). That's kinda shocking. Maybe not THAT shocking, but definitely not what I expected.. Guess a lot of people launched it, but not so many stuck with it.
I'm part of the problem as I've launched The Ascent for daily "Play Game Pass" quests via xCloud but haven't actually played the game :)

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Guys xCloud is starting to become legit. It's been getting better and better for me, and yesterday I played about 2 hours of the Ascent on my PC on a hardwired connection, and it was basically flawless in terms of input lag. Image quality was pretty good too. Of course it loaded up my save from exactly where I was on the Series X. Then I went to bed, and fired it up on my phone, and it picked me up right where I left it, and again, it played flawlessly for me. It's kind of crazy, and a bit of a window into the future. I can actually play anywhere, and on anything now.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man released in same year. Ghost of Tsushima released one month after TLoU: Part II.

Xbox has 23 studios now. So 2 blockbuster RPGs in one year is possible.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I can't be the only person who downloads and launches almost every GP game straight away when they release.. and then play a few minutes to decide if I want to keep it downloaded or not.. with the intention to come back to it later.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I can't be the only person who downloads and launches almost every GP game straight away when they release.. and then play a few minutes to decide if I want to keep it downloaded or not.. with the intention to come back to it later.
The magic of Game Pass. So many more games in the backlog to ignore.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I saw Psychonauts 2 and Forza Horizon 5

REPLACED in there, too. And Sable. Both are GP.

I do not do this because I hate when an early achievement pops and then I have to play it for at least a while to get a respectable amount of them. Yes, I'm that guy.

wortwort21

Jun 10, 2021
Are we actually seeing anything from Halo on the 24th? The dev update made it sound like they were gonna hold off on revealing stuff for a while, and no insider has commented on that. Hope we at least get something.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Are we actually seeing anything from Halo on the 24th? The dev update made it sound like they were gonna hold off on revealing stuff for a while, and no insider has commented on that. Hope we at least get something.
Unlikely Halo will be at Gamescom, but it will be a pleasant surprise. Staten said we will hear more about the release date "very very soon", so MAYBE something at Gamescom... or it could just be later in September.

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester
Most likely hear about the next flight as they mentioned will be PvP and BTB but we wont see campaign stuff which is disappointing.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the game throughout, but thought the best section is about halfway through the game. I'd say stick with it a bit longer, it's a short (6-7 hour) game so I think it's worth getting through the end, especially since the sequel is coming.
Thanks, I'll definitely persevere given the length. I'm not hating it, it's just a slog.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

TOW2 is definitely before 2026. I'll say 2024.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
My main takeway from all of this, people here are right that if 343 focuses hard on the single player and sticks the landing with a super epic and memorable adventure unlike Halo 5, then the absence of some features won't be problematic.

The problem is, I'm not happy with coop and Forge coming later because I already personally don't believe we'll get a good single player aventure from what we've seen.

We've still only seen a single biome, we haven't seen any real new enemy and vehicle (a lot of new weapons though), we still don't know if the Banished are the only enemy faction (which would suck honestly for a 10-hour campaign), the locations seem all enclosed in valleys despite selling us a "semi-open world game", and the "fragmented islands with pillars"-structure isn't really appealing to me and a lot of others.

It already seems like the campaign is small and lacking a lot, so not having other missing features only makes things worse.

I'm curious why people are actually that into the campaign from the media we've seen. Making us feel a little bit like the original Halo isn't enough if it actually doesn't correct the problems the original game had:
- lots of enclosed locations (Assault of the Control Room is still a great level, but for example it wouldn't work in 2021 because the valleys are all somewhat small)
- a lot of reused assets (entire levels we come back to)
Solid points. I'm going to be playing only campaign so I hope its good. On the other hand, I havent been impressed by what I've seen so far as you've outlined all my concerns. Especially now its just a few months away and all we have is the video from last year. I hope they can show some more footage before launch instead of just launching the campaign.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely Halo will be at Gamescom, but it will be a pleasant surprise. Staten said we will hear more about the release date "very very soon", so MAYBE something at Gamescom... or it could just be later in September.
I don't think this is the case at all. The fact they moved the August Inside Infinite up a week and on a Friday with the new that co-op and Forge were being delayed says to me that there's news coming on Tuesday at the very least.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't disagree with your post in general--I think Avowed and Fable can absolutely launch in the same year if they're ready. Besides the aforementioned differences between them, Fable will likely have strong multiplayer elements, which will differentiate it from the other RPGs in development.

That said, there's no evidence that Avowed is a Bethesda style RPG. It could well be a party based RPG, a Bioware-like RPG. We simply don't know. Phil already stated that Avowed is very different from The Elder Scrolls, whatever that means.
Regarding your second point, you're right, but I always got the impression it was more a Bethesda style RPG given the trailer and that Outer Worlds was as well. There were also the reliable leaks (wanna say it was someone in the industry even) calling the game a Pillars of Eternity Skyrim like and that it's Chris Parker's baby or whatever.

Regardless though, it's a first person RPG presumably set in some kind of an open world, whether it's actually Bethesda styled or not it'll likely get compared to BGS games as well and appeal to much of the same casual market.

Worth pointing out that inXile is supposedly making two different games right now, and that different teams in Obsidian are making Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed, so I wouldn't expect so long between the games.

Jeff Grubb reported around E3 that inXile's game, Fable and Avowed are all currently targeting 2023. While it's likely that one of those games will get pushed back (especially considering the new wave of Covid that's started to really come full force since that article) it's also possible that all 3 manage to hit 2023.

My personal guess is Starfield and a smaller Obsidian project for 2022 (such as Josh Sawyer's unannounced game) and in 2023 we get Avowed towards the beginning of the year, Fable in the summer/fall and inXile's game as the holiday 2023 game. 2024 will probably have Outer Worlds 2 and inXile's second game along side some other surprises

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Regarding your second point, you're right, but I always got the impression it was more a Bethesda style RPG given the trailer and that Outer Worlds was as well. There were also the reliable leaks (wanna say it was someone in the industry even) calling the game a Pillars of Eternity Skyrim like and that it's Chris Parker's baby or whatever.

Regardless though, it's a first person RPG presumably set in some kind of an open world, whether it's actually Bethesda styled or not it'll likely get compared to BGS games as well and appeal to much of the same casual market.
I don't consider The Outer Worlds a Bethesda style RPG. The similarities are superficial. It's a hub based narratively driven semi-open world game with poor exploration and lack of sandbox elements like doing your own thing, buying/building a house, etc. TOW's structure is closer to KOTOR than to anything Bethesda. If Avowed is built similarly to TOW, I'm sure it'll still be compared to TES, because all fantasy WRPGs do; I just don't think being 1st person RPG makes it Bethesda-style RPG. Obsidian's philosophy is completely different. It's not a bad thing--just different.

And the supposed Avowed leak that compared it to Skyrim came from the same person who claimed that 343 was considering dropping the support of Xbox one for Halo Infinite and that Infinite would have RT at launch. Personally, I'd take Phil's words over that insider's claims. I expect Avowed to be its own thing, as different from Bethesda's stuff as Fable will be, just in different ways.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Nope, that's only the one they've shown so far, which is the first area we'll meet in the game.

www.windowscentral.com

Halo Infinite devs detail day/night cycle, dynamic weather, different biomes, and more

Halo Infinite sounds like the most ambitious Halo game ever.

"the developers stated that while the majority of the game's world is themed around the Pacific Northwest, there will be PNW-themed sub-biomes in the environment. Examples of these will include marshy swamps, mountainous highlands, and war-torn "deadlands" devastated by previous battles. Players will also be able to explore caves and caverns in the environment, and can also find Banished bases, UNSC Marine holdouts, Forerunner structures, and other points of interest. "

Sounds awesome!

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man released in same year. Ghost of Tsushima released one month after TLoU: Part II.

Xbox has 23 studios now. So 2 blockbuster RPGs in one year is possible.
with the sheer number of WRPGs in development, I would bet that 2 RPGs in 1 year is an inevitability.

My current guess is that you see Avowed and Project Cobalt (Inexile's game) maybe launching in the same year (2023)

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Really excited for Deathloop, shame I have to wait a year lol.

Gonna be tough. As a big fan of all things Arkane, I will absolutely read some reviews, but I also don't want any spoilers on how to unlock the puzzle of Blackreef. I want to go in mostly blind to all the different ways we can manipulate the game world.

Status
Not open for further replies.