• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
"...how they treated their flagship game." ??? You mean giving it an extra 2 (now 3) years of development time, all the resources for a new engine and the biggest first party studio in the industry by far? I would think most studios managing franchises/flagships would die for that.
Should of never got that point.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Should of never got that point.
it should have never gotten to the point of being supported? Whether or not Halo was a top-tier series currently or not, any game getting that support in any state is not indicative of a flagship series being treated poorly.

You can not like the direction of h4 and h5, plenty of people don't, just like plenty of people do. However, don't act like MS dragged the series across the coals. 343 made decisions they thought would work. They didnt. That's all.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost the exact opposite of how I feel.

I'm with you on this one. Not sure how much we can glean from the 2020 trailer, but it does seem like a change in direction compared to 2. Not sure if it's true, but Im led to believe they're aiming for AAA production.

State of Decay as a franchise could do with both more narrative, and a bit more meat to its systemic survival sandbox's bones - doesn't have to be one or the other. Ideally some system that fuses them both would be good e.g. a dynamic nemesis or social system.

Whilst a big sweeping grand narrative mightn't be a great fit, there'd be lots of scope for interesting short standalone stories concerning the survivors you come across.

Yeah lol same here. I don't play stay of decay for the story.

I am with you in this. I don't care if they add story element but that is definitely not why I load up an SoD game. It's he systems, take those away abd it just another zombie game.

That's just Gamepass! I am hyped for Death's Door too. Gonna be a crazy couple of weeks.

I still think they can get a strong narrative and keep it procedural in nature much like XCOM 2 did with its War of the Chosen DLC. Same over arching story but nuanced gameplay everytime.

There is so much potential, but they need to get over that jank hurdle before any of that first. Game just screamed low budget before.

Sorry for bringing this up so late but the thread moves so fast I just couldn't keep up with it.

State of Decay 1 had a pretty good approach with having set characters with back stories as opposed to 2's procedurally generated ones that get interchangeable voices and back story. The pre-made characters like Marcus, Ed, & Maya had actual stories and personality to them that made losing them feel more gut-wrenching.

Undead can still do Walking Dead style story arcs by way of special story missions that don't interfere with the usual character, supply, & base management missions. The way SoD 2 does it with the procedural characters leaves a lot to be desired since there's very little connection to them outside of their stats and being extra bodies which is why I liked the Heartland DLC a bit more. I also think there's a really interesting story to be told in State of Decay regarding how it all happened and even the way the virus has been mutating people into a more inhuman species with the plague zombies, plague walls, & seeing crazy looking zombie morphing physiology we see during the load screens. The devs keep it very surface level through environmental or note driven storytelling that doesn't feel fully realized.

I know SoD is a systems and gameplay first style of game which I've enjoy immensely but just because that took more precedent in SoD2 doesn't mean they should completely abandon any kind of narrative or investment into the characters for the games in the future.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Without a doubt. It's the first month where we are going to see multiple high quality day one titles week after week. I think it's going to be a turning point in the sense that it'll set the tone for what to really expect from GP going forward, which is awesome. I'm excited for literally every one of those.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Sorry for bringing this up so late but the thread moves so fast I just couldn't keep up with it.

State of Decay 1 had a pretty good approach with having set characters with back stories as opposed to 2's procedurally generated ones that get interchangeable voices and back story. The pre-made characters like Marcus, Ed, & Maya had actual stories and personality to them that made losing them feel more gut-wrenching.

Undead can still do Walking Dead style story arcs by way of special story missions that don't interfere with the usual character, supply, & base management missions. The way SoD 2 does it with the procedural characters leaves a lot to be desired since there's very little connection to them outside of their stats and being extra bodies which is why I liked the Heartland DLC a bit more. I also think there's a really interesting story to be told in State of Decay regarding how it all happened and even the way the virus has been mutating people into a more inhuman species with the plague zombies, plague walls, & seeing crazy looking zombie morphing physiology we see during the load screens. The devs keep it very surface level through environmental or note driven storytelling that doesn't feel fully realized.

I know SoD is a systems and gameplay first style of game which I've enjoy immensely but just because that took more precedent in SoD2 doesn't mean they should completely abandon any kind of narrative or investment into the characters for the games in the future.
Hmmmm SoD taking a more narrative take on their series does have potential and I think there is a happy medium.

As you mentioned, SoD 1 had set characters, more importantly, though, it had a set story arch that involved interacting with various factions to eventually leave Trumball Valley. SoD 2's arcs focused entirely on gameplay systems. You progressed a hero arc that pushed those interactions. Though that could work, it lacked any real character developments. I liked my characters not cause of their character, but their traits and skills. If Undead labs can make me care for both, it's a huge win.

At the same time though, I do feel like SoD 3 could potentially start out with a character creator. Given you, not only customization but backstories and scenarios that determine your starting skills (sort of DnD style). Then maybe select various personalities. Doing that gives the player a bit more connection to their personal character. They can then start out solo (something the reveal trailer hinted at) and treat it more as a survival experience (not as in, get x amount of wood to build a fire). From there, randomly generated characters can be introduced with their own skills and personalities whose reactions will vary based on the character you play. This could cause tension for personalities that conflict with one another (something they experiment within SoD 2 but never really commit to). From there, as you get more people and set up a base, you start to interact with the network and the story begins to unfold around what caused the infection and so on, thus using the systems to develop a specific narrative while also connecting players with more personal characters (that all are able to die).

Of course, there is the gameplay they should expand on. Base building should be a bit more free form (imo) and you should get the option to be nomadic if you so choose (temporary bases/camps). We also know they will be expanding the infections to animals, as well as potentially using it to give players abilities (that scream in the reveal). All very interesting things.

Anyway, kind of long, but the overall point is that Undead labs and SoD really do have potential and they have been experimenting with a lot of that potential. I hope with an actual budget they can commit to their ideas. If SoD 1 and 2 are anything, they are proof of how budget really can hamper a systems-based series.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so, I'm late to this particular party, but I recently watched this video:

And now I'm super hyped for The Ascent. It looks extremely intriguing. The actual trailers were a great showcase for the aesthetic and vibe of the game but this is the first one I've seen that made me really perk up and take notice.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
"...how they treated their flagship game." ??? You mean giving it an extra 2 (now 3) years of development time, all the resources for a new engine and the biggest first party studio in the industry by far? I would think most studios managing franchises/flagships would die for that.

Indeed :)

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And now I'm super hyped for The Ascent. It looks extremely intriguing. The actual trailers were a great showcase for the aesthetic and vibe of the game but this is the first one I've seen that made me really perk up and take notice.

Yeah, it was well done. The gameplay dynamic of something simple like crouching/shooting over cover got me excited; it's just another layer of depth I wasn't expecting. Going in mostly with the dark, really looking forward to it.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Anyone remember how Gears 3's multiplayer was received? I had a vague memory that I liked 2 more and while 2's still really, really good replaying 3's campaign right now and it's way better than I thought it was.

I remember the Horde mode being pretty decent, if different, was there anything about the multiplayer people didn't like? I can't really remember it, so I'm wondering if that was what I didn't enjoy about the game way back when.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Anyone remember how Gears 3's multiplayer was received? I had a vague memory that I liked 2 more and while 2's still really, really good replaying 3's campaign right now and it's way better than I thought it was.

I remember the Horde mode being pretty decent, if different, was there anything about the multiplayer people didn't like? I can't really remember it, so I'm wondering if that was what I didn't enjoy about the game way back when.
Gears 3 was really well received even in the early beta days. Movement is so much faster and smoother, the Gnasher is generally more consistent, and it launched with some pretty great maps (though Overpass is maybe the worst Gears map of all time, avoid at all cost). For complaints it really depends on who you talk to. Some people never liked Gears being shotgun focused so they say it sucks, some people liked the slower hide and seek style meta of classic execution, some people hated the retro lancer and sawed off.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Gears 3 was really well received even in the early beta days. Movement is so much faster and smoother, the Gnasher is generally more consistent, and it launched with some pretty great maps (though Overpass is maybe the worst Gears map of all time, avoid at all cost). For complaints it really depends on who you talk to. Some people never liked Gears being shotgun focused so they say it sucks, some people liked the slower hide and seek style meta of classic execution, some people hated the retro lancer and sawed off.

Maybe I'm just remembering wrong then, because that's my memory of the beta and playing it, but I can't figure why I thought this one was a step down from 2 at the time. Weird.

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
Maybe I'm just remembering wrong then, because that's my memory of the beta and playing it, but I can't figure why I thought this one was a step down from 2 at the time. Weird.
Gears 3 was a step up from Gears 2 in almost every way possible. Gears 2's mp was literally broken at launch and the netcode was always complete shit. Still played through it because I had to have my Gears fix, but Gears 2 IMO was the most frustrating MP game I have ever played. At any rate, Gears 3 fixed all of that and is my favorite game in the series.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gtav enhanced and expanded hype anyone?

Nada.

A game I played on PS3, then again on PC and now it's coming out again for a third generation of consoles.

The game is fantastic but I don't need to play it again.

Some older games really benefit from a re-release to remind everyone that they exist and how great they are. But GTAV is a game that's been constantly in the zeitgeist since the day it came out. It's not a Dead Space like situation where it came out, it feels like it's been a long time and now it deserves a remake/a remaster. It's been a constant. If you want to play it, you've been able to play a good version of it for the last eight years.

It'll be great for those that still play it daily. But, for me, I'm good for a new version.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Have you played Halo Wars 1/2 and ODST? I think spinoffs are where the franchise can and has pushed boundaries. I don't know what you have in mind with "new and revolutionary", but an open-ish sandbox with full exploration + multiple freely accessible mission types + plus gun customization + grapple hook... Halo Infinite is making some changes.

If you just don't like the actual core shooty bang bang portion of the game, that's fine. But it doesn't mean it's fundamentally flawed. People enjoy core Halo. I also think complaints that 343 won't innovate gameplay for fear of fans overblown, even if I do agree that concern for assuaging the nebulous desires of old fans is over-indulged. Halo 5 MP was a notable shift from the past, pissing many off - but for the better overall IMO.

Halo wars is a spin-off series, totally different genre. About ODST well, guess I'll have to play it now.

"but an open-ish sandbox with full exploration + multiple freely accessible mission types "

That is fine, I like it. Hopefully will be enough for me. Will see

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Finished death door, really good game the music is so good and its a good lenght too if yall can you need to play it

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I remember some heavy criticism towards the sawed off shotgun

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
No idea when I'll get to play the game but I finally made my new fem. character for a first time playthrough of Outer Worlds. I always try to make average looking characters (who by their actions are made remarkable):

Such a shame then that we do not see the player character during gameplay (last time I checked, unless it has changed) rendering all the time spent making the character, moot.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Great vid

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

Three was a return to form for the multiplayer.

Gears 2 was a car-crash on launch and for much of its first year. The servers and net code were flat out broken for at least the first month and didn't get much better for a while. They also introduced a few gameplay mechanics that basically changed how long-term Gears players could play, such as nuking the base movement speed and adding a super powerful stopping power mechanic which buffed assault rifles and made shotguns barely viable. Not to mention they changed the predictability of the shotgun spray pattern to bring its effectiveness down, in a way that was just super random and unsatisfying.

All of this and more led to some serious complaints from the community, and they launched a Gears 2.5 style TITLE UPDATE that aimed to roll much of this back and bring the experience closer to what people wanted. Some stuff couldn't be fixed via the TU as it was hard-coded, so Gears 3 was their real return to form and a true sequel to Gears of War's multiplayer.

I still have the Seriously achievement picture as my Xbox profile picture. It's probably the only achievement that I'm remotely proud of, even if it took thousands of hours of grinding to get.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I remember it being very well recieved.

Outside of the typical versus stuff, I remember people going wild for Gears 3 Horde mode (as you said). I remember Tested/Giant Bombcasts where Gary Whitta and the crew were talking about never ending Horde matches they'd playing and it was such a thrill.

I remember listening to one episode on my way home from the office one night and making a detour to a game store to pick it up because they sold it to me so hard based on Horde impressons.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Three was a return to form for the multiplayer.

Gears 2 was a car-crash on launch and for much of its first year. The servers and net code were flat out broken for at least the first month and didn't get much better for a while. They also introduced a few gameplay mechanics that basically changed how long-term Gears players could play, such as nuking the base movement speed and adding a super powerful stopping power mechanic which buffed assault rifles and made shotguns barely viable. Not to mention they changed the predictability of the shotgun spray pattern to bring its effectiveness down, in a way that was just super random and unsatisfying.

All of this and more led to some serious complaints from the community, and they launched a Gears 2.5 style TITLE UPDATE that aimed to roll much of this back and bring the experience closer to what people wanted. Some stuff couldn't be fixed via the TU as it was hard-coded, so Gears 3 was their real return to form and a true sequel to Gears of War's multiplayer.

I still have the Seriously achievement picture as my Xbox profile picture. It's probably the only achievement that I'm remotely proud of, even if it took thousands of hours of grinding to get.
Gears 2 really killed me and my friend groups hype for Gears, the multiplayer was such a huge step back. Never fully recovered from that.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
sync button on top. Hold for PC. Double tap for console
I have been running some tests and... I can´t make it work. Apparently, you can not swap between a Series console and a PC with the wireless adapter. I guess it is due to the controller recognising the connection to the wireless adapter as if it was connected to a different console. What a shame, I like to plug in my headphones when playing on the PC too.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Gears 2 really killed me and my friend groups hype for Gears, the multiplayer was such a huge step back. Never fully recovered from that.
I remember our collective shock after the opening night. Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions.

A few persisted, a few went back to the original, most of us just moved the time over to Halo 3 or Modern Warfare.

Gears 3 was great and technically perfect, but at that point the competition in the multiplayer space was so high that it couldn't get everyone back for an extended period of time. It's a shame, the original Gears was one of the generation defining games and the first mainstream console multiplayer game that my group played together. It was an incredible LAN game, too.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
No idea when I'll get to play the game but I finally made my new fem. character for a first time playthrough of Outer Worlds. I always try to make average looking characters (who by their actions are made remarkable):

Such a shame then that we do not see the player character during gameplay (last time I checked, unless it has changed) rendering all the time spent making the character, moot.

Character looks really nice, I need to play the DLC's on my Series X. I played it on the One X when it came out and while it looked good, the performance left a lot to be desired.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

I'm going through a second playthrough on hard right now, such an amazing game; Obsidian is a really talented studio. Unfortunately, the only way you see your char is when you are idle, it'll go to a 3rd person camera that revolves around them. =( hoping they change this for Avowed and give you a full 3rd person camera which in turn gets added to Outer Worlds 2. It seems to me that not adding one was more of a time constraint rather than a conscious decision on Obsidian's part, otherwise why even allow that much customization on your char?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Character looks really nice, I need to play the DLC's on my Series X. I played it on the One X when it came out and while it looked good, the performance left a lot to be desired.

I started the title on One X back in the day but quit 5 mins in (I was obsessed with playing Hitman 2 at the time). Per DF, I recall the title was more or less steady at 30fps on said console. Presumably your experience was different.

I'm going through a second playthrough on hard right now, such an amazing game; Obsidian is a really talented studio. Unfortunately, the only way you see your char is when you are idle, it'll go to a 3rd person camera that revolves around them. =( hoping they change this for Avowed and give you a full 3rd person camera which in turn gets added to Outer Worlds 2. It seems to me that not adding one was more of a time constraint rather than a conscious decision on Obsidian's part, otherwise why even allow that much customization on your char?

Regarding the underlined segments: Thanks for the heads up and that action required to see the PC in 3rd person presents a strong case for your latter statement about budget and/or time constraints (the project started prior to acquisition by MS iirc).

I do wonder what they will do with Avowed (and Outer Worlds 2) and whether time and budget permitting whether they will take the Fallout 3 and New Vegas route of engaging in dialog in first person but allowing third person gameplay or Fallout 4/ME where the PC and NPCs engaged in dialog will enter 3rd person perspective and be properly animated (this being more expensive and labour intensive).

Last edited:

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Could someone please explain how you could have the Series controller synced to the PC (via the adapter) and my Series S at the same time? I think you had to press a button in the controller?

Thanks.
You can't do it with the adapter. It allows one Bluetooth device and one Xbox Wireless device. Not necessary one console and one PC/phone/whatever.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I have been running some tests and... I can´t make it work. Apparently, you can not swap between a Series console and a PC with the wireless adapter. I guess it is due to the controller recognising the connection to the wireless adapter as if it was connected to a different console. What a shame, I like to plug in my headphones when playing on the PC too.

🤷🏼‍♂️

ah didnt know that. Sorry.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
As someone currently replaying GTA V on XCloud/Series X, I'm not sure. Need to see what all has improved, because I feel like they've wrung all they can out with the current iteration. It's wonderful.
It seems like its going to be a major engine rework because in the last newswire before the dlc came out they mentioned that cars would have different driving attributes only on next gen.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
www.eurogamer.net

Microsoft Flight Simulator Xbox edition review - occasionally clunky port can't dull the magic

11 months since it first wowed the world with its depiction of nothing less than the Earth in its entirety, Microsoft F…

And yet in its new context of the living room, something else comes to life in Microsoft Flight Simulator. For casual sightseers like myself who treat this as the ultimate screensaver, picking a point on the map before loading in and switching on a suite of the generous assists on offer - or even handing over complete control to the more than able AI co-pilot - this might just be the ideal version. I've lost whole evenings this past weekend starting softly out of the window of a 747, watching the clouds float by and chasing the sun past the horizon, getting caught up in the magic and wonder of Asobo and Microsoft Game Studio's staggering creation all over again.

There's work to be done - and thanks to this version receiving future updates alongside the PC version, work that's already well underway - and you might want to temper expectations before heading in. Perhaps most importantly, though, this is Microsoft Flight Simulator on console in all its glory and occasional clunkiness, and with that sense of splendour and wonder unsullied by the small imperfections along way.the It remains one of the most breathtaking videogame achievements in recent years, and on console one of the most incredible next-gen experiences to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.