• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since Microsoft bought Obsidian, do they now own the Alpha Protocol IP? Or did another publisher own it and not Obsidian?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Man I really enjoyed Outer Worlds so much. I am itching for a first/third person WRPG in that vein with better production values exclusvively for next gen. Basically I am saying I cant wait for Outer Worlds 2 and Starfield.

On a side note - I always found Halo and Gears boring but decided to give it a try again. Tried Gears 5 and boy its just soooo boring. Maybe its because I am just not invested in the story and dont quite understand what happened previously but god damn is it boring. Like I dont care for any of these characters, the art style and the gameplay and encounter design is so boring.

Will try playing through Gears 1-4 again and see if that helps renew interest in Gears 5.

Did you play any of the DLC's? Murder on Eridanos is well worth a look.

Nope! Will give it a shot! Are the DLCs on gamepass as well or do I have to purchase them?

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
? There's been enough smoke here to suggest that Fable(4) will have co-op and shared world elements i.d. MMO-lite. Not sure why that's surprising given Fables history of campaign coop
Also, I think MMO stuff on Fable would work brilliantly and that type of model seems to be a perfect match with GamePass.

The best case scenario for me would be that there is a meaty campaign that can be played with no issues in single player or with another person and then separate online modes

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
? There's been enough smoke here to suggest that Fable(4) will have co-op and shared world elements i.d. MMO-lite. Not sure why that's surprising given Fables history of campaign coop

Having co-op/shared world elements ≠ having emphasis in co-op / shared world.

I can play Dark Souls in co-op, but the game isn't emphasized on it. I'm ok with having online elements, cuz Fable (since 2) had it but it should not be the emphasis of the game. Online, in Fable, should be treated as side content, not core pillar.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Hmm.. the worry with coop in general is that the story and quest design could take a backseat. I am not sure since I have not played it extensively but is Fable a narrative focussed series or is it more a story is an afterthought like Bethesda games? If it is the latter, nothing will be lost when adding coop honestly. In fact I wish Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield have coop too.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt for a GAAS or MMO-Lite. It's Playground. For most studios, I think twice when I hear those terms. For Playground, my ears fucking perk up. They make great games for solo and MP and then make em even better. Awesome team.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Hmm.. the worry with coop in general is that the story and quest design could take a backseat. I am not sure since I have not played it extensively but is Fable a narrative focussed series or is it more a story is an afterthought like Bethesda games? If it is the latter, nothing will be lost when adding coop honestly. In fact I wish Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield have coop too.
Fable is more about the humour and the day to day than the story IMO. The stories are fine, but there is a certain tone and adventure to Fable that makes it special. Think of it like an M Rated (but not hyperviolent) 3D Zelda.

That said, Playground's vision of the series may be very different from Lionhead's, barring the tone which seems on point.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fable in the Guild of Heroes era is built better for a shared-world/Destiny-like RPG than mot any other setting I could think of. Take missions with your friends, make boasts to tweak the difficulty, come together with other heroes to tackle huge monsters and dangerous villains. So long as you're not presented as The Hero, but rather A Hero, it fits like a glove.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh God, please no. Banish this thought from existence
That has always been Fable though. So yea, I absolutely expect them to build on that with the new Fable.

Then you obviously have Forza Horizon, which pretty much has a perfect way of implementing this without sacrificing the single player experience. Playground Games knows how to get this right.

It would be a huge missed opportunity in my opinion if Fable would not bring the franchise' co-op/shared world DNA forward. They hired really good writers, so the story and narrative element of Fable clearly will still be front and center of the experience.

Last edited:

Leonberger

May 3, 2021
Canada
Not sure if this is the right threat to ask it but I have finally saved up enough for a Series X and want to get a headset specifically for Competitive Shooters (Warzone). Do the Microsoft Xbox Wireless Headphones do the job? I keep seeing mixed reviews. A lot of complaints about delayed or lagging audio (from when you pull the trigger to shoot to when you actually hear the bullet) and a mediocre microphone (complaints from party chats of poor mic quality from user).

They seem like a good deal but not if they are lacking.

Thanks!

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I rewatched the first 55 minutes of the Xbox 2021 E3 conference (something to watch while working out).

I noticed when Pete Hines came on, he had a "Bite Back" shirt. Was that a hint at Redfall?!? I don't remember that haha.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
My Backbone controller came in today. xCloud left a lot to be desired when I tried it on my Mac last week but man, it's so much better on iPhone. Played through the opening of Skyrim and it ran much better than expected!

So happy I'm bought in on this, this tech is so cool. 100% a viable way to experience the xbox exclusives coming this year, can't wait to check out The Ascent and Psychonauts this summer.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the new game is actually a sequel to the original.
I would love a remake as it's my favorite game, but I feel a reboot is the best option for it to become a viable franchise. Of course there would references though e.g. cheese wedges, something with Elvis (I don't think he'd be in the game).

Edit: "Sequel" not sure why I typed remake. :/

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I fully expect Fable to have co-op/shared world aspect that will be pretty important. Playground have perfected that kind of system with FH and I expect Fable to evolve that concept, with some light-hearted stories, vibrant artstyle, and fairytale-like feel.

I expect Avowed to be a Dragon Ages-style game with a fairly big semi-open world, heavy on the narrative and classes, and maybe a party instead of companions.

I expect TES VI to be a huge, epic sandbox experience focused on exploration, player freedom, emergent storytelling and lore.

That would be 3 very different fantasy RPGs. I'm very excited about all of them for different reasons. I have no idea what to expect from InXile's RPG, but it'll probably be closer to Avowed than the other two.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
That has always been Fable though. So yea, I absolutely expect them to build on that with the new Fable.

Unless I've been playing the wrong Fable my entire life, no, it has not.

Fable always had the OPTION of co-op, not the emphasis of it. Fable has always been about the player and how he builds his legacy in the world, how he interacts with it. Is it through good actions/interactions? Through bad actions? How will people react when you enter a pub, or the town square? Will there be your statue, all shiny and representing the Forces of Good, or will it be the complete opposite? Will The Hero be a hard worker, who earns his coin searching for treasures, hunting evil monsters/bandits, working at the forges? Or will he be a sneaky thief, or a evil landlord that keeps rising the price of the houses he rents?

This has always been Fable.

EDIT:

Then you obviously have Forza Horizon, which pretty much has a perfect way of implementing this without sacrificing the single player experience. Playground Games knows how to get this right.

Sorry, but we have several people here and in other places asking Playground to focus more on the SP content, cuz since Forza Horizon 1 they've been focusing more and more on the shared world stuff. There's no clear objective, feeling of progression and meaning in Forza Horizon 2, 3 and 4.It seems to be changing with "Expeditions" in Horizon 5, but still, it's an unreleased game.

Last edited:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

It would be a huge missed opportunity in my opinion if Fable would not bring the franchise' co-op/shared world DNA forward. They hired really good writers, so the story and narrative element of Fable clearly will still be front and center of the experience.

very interested to see what spin PG bring!

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Yes it was, but we did not know at the time lol.

The second he came out with that shirt on, I said to my friends in our party chat "that's definitely hinting at the Arkane vampire game." They had no idea what I was talking about, because they don't follow these kinds of things as closely as I do and were completely unaware of that rumour lol

Dec 21, 2018
Having co-op/shared world elements ≠ having emphasis in co-op / shared world.

I can play Dark Souls in co-op, but the game isn't emphasized on it. I'm ok with having online elements, cuz Fable (since 2) had it but it should not be the emphasis of the game. Online, in Fable, should be treated as side content, not core pillar.

Totally agree. The emphasis should be on the story and the protagonist's role in it as the main course and any multiplayer/coop should be like a side salad.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Nope! Will give it a shot! Are the DLCs on gamepass as well or do I have to purchase them?

Have to purchase them unfortunately. But you can buy a bundle with both DLCs, and with your Game Pass discount it works out pretty reasonable.

The first one is enjoyable, but the second was one of my favourite parts of the entire game.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Following that thread, this here is more believable:

forum.xboxera.com

Xbox Acquisition |OT2| Something, Something, Snowball Effect

These are all the Studios I have heard Microsft is interested in or has a letter of interest in acquiring. (All of these game have Microsoft backing before the talks). All are Indies/ID@Xbox partners. A studio that will be using the cloud to make their next game to achieve a new way of...

Screenshot-20210705-155634-Edge.jpg

Could also be related to Klob's or Chris Charla's recent tease?
Probably unrelated, and while I don't believe this, it's not like we'll have to wait very long before finding out if it's true or not since the guy says it'll be announced this week

ZeniMax's 'Orion,' and how it will boost Microsoft's Xbox xCloud streaming tech | Windows Central

With the increasing relevance of cloud gaming and xCloud for Xbox, Bethesda's inhouse cloud gaming tech Orion is going to be integral I feel moving forward especially with promises of reducing latency ( which seems to be an issue for xCloud VS Stadia) and reduction in bandwidth.

Hopefully we can get some news regarding the integration soon highlighting the advantages of Orion with xCloud.
I completely forgot about Orion's existence holy shit. I have no doubt that the Orion team is probably getting merged with the xCloud team for development honestly. It'll be cool to see xCloud evolve

Oh God, please no. Banish this thought from existence
Nah, Fable 3 had split screen co-op and it was great. The new Fable reboot can still be a single player story and game with the ability for co-op stuff honestly and I think that would be awesome
Since Microsoft bought Obsidian, do they now own the Alpha Protocol IP? Or did another publisher own it and not Obsidian?
Nah, Sega still owns the IP but I doubt they would hold onto it if MS/Obsidian wanted to buy it from them

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Fable always had the OPTION of co-op, not the emphasis of it.

The original was a single player only game, but with the heroes guild set-up in the series, a shared world approach could certainly work well within the framework. I hope they stick mostly to single player though..

God I hope Avowed has some coop dungeon crawling option.

There's so many options to go coop loot hunting, but very few games with the complex choice and consequences structure and diverging dialogue trees of the kind Obsidian are good at, especially with a budget of note. There's a reason why coop dungeon crawling usually become about grinding and loot, instead of the qualities of something like the best Obsidian games. It's very difficult to combine the two, though obviously some manage it to an extent.

I would be massively disappointed if Avowed announced coop, because I would fully expect such an announcement to affect the single player as well, because it usually does.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right threat to ask it but I have finally saved up enough for a Series X and want to get a headset specifically for Competitive Shooters (Warzone). Do the Microsoft Xbox Wireless Headphones do the job? I keep seeing mixed reviews. A lot of complaints about delayed or lagging audio (from when you pull the trigger to shoot to when you actually hear the bullet) and a mediocre microphone (complaints from party chats of poor mic quality from user).

They seem like a good deal but not if they are lacking.

Thanks!

It depends how much money you are willing to spend to be honest. I use them daily and I think they are a very good headset for $100 but if you're willing to spend more money then there are better sounding headsets out there. The mic is serviceable and I have personally not experienced any audio lag.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
On a side note - I always found Halo and Gears boring but decided to give it a try again. Tried Gears 5 and boy its just soooo boring. Maybe its because I am just not invested in the story and dont quite understand what happened previously but god damn is it boring. Like I dont care for any of these characters, the art style and the gameplay and encounter design is so boring.

Will try playing through Gears 1-4 again and see if that helps renew interest in Gears 5.
If you didn't like the art style and gameplay of the first few hours of Gears 5 you probably shouldn't waste your time with the first 4 games lol.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Im not sure if anyone here will care but KI has a 5X XP bonus today, combine that with the 2X XP booster and you can get get 12-15K points per match which is pretty nuts. I still have some color 9's to unlock so this is awesome for me.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
If you didn't like the art style and gameplay of the first few hours of Gears 5 you probably shouldn't waste your time with the first 4 games lol.

Yup most likely lol. I really hope the rumour of a non gears AAA project from Coalition down the road is true. Would like to see what they can do with a new IP!

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

This is very interesting. ZOS, Playground, and BGS are hiring the most, even though they're some of the largest Xbox studios already.

I guess Microsoft sees them as the biggest priorities for growth. Which makes sense, considering that they're working on multiple big IPs (well, in case of ZOS we don't know what they're working on besides ESO, but it's probably a big online game, and those require resources).

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
As long as they don't recruit "inorganically" everything should be OK... 🙂

That is multiple studios worth of recruitment going on there. Excellent.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Can't believe I get to play another Tales of game on Xbox again.

Series X/S is 360 glory days minus Mistwalker.

And some fighting games lol.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
ZeniMax Online Studios should just rebrand to ZOS (rhymes with sauce). That's what they call it internally. Maybe they'll all have some other ideas but I imagine they may want to keep some legacy for Robert Altman and there's attachment to their current brand that a change may not be welcomed in the studios culture.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So when you capture a 4K vid on xbox can that be 4k/60 now? Or is 1080p only if you want 60fps also?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I don't think they would change the name of Zenimax Online Studios just because Zenimax doesn't exist anymore.
Bethesda didn't change their name just because they moved from Bethesda to Rockville. Studios' name is part of their brand.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Man... 106 open positions at PG total. And it's not like they haven't been hiring a bunch already. MS has supreme confidence in the leadership over there and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.