• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I legit got the XSX for mainly BC titles as Fable and KOTOR were the reasons i got the OG Xbox back in the day.

People please play Lost Odyssey.... it's so good.

I may not be a fan of most of XGS games like most, they did E3 great imo.
I am excited that Xbox is pivoting back to the genres that helped to build the brand at its peak: notably, shooters/action games & roleplaying games.

On the RPG front, there are so many games in the pipeline that starting next year, we should have 1-2 large scale RPGs to play each year.

Just need that Lost Odyssey 2 now

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
I am excited that Xbox is pivoting back to the genres that helped to build the brand at its peak: notably, shooters/action games & roleplaying games.

On the RPG front, there are so many games in the pipeline that starting next year, we should have 1-2 large scale RPGs to play each year.

Just need that Lost Odyssey 2 now
Xbox has the RPG on lock and it's great to see.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Posted this on Sony OT and might as well do it here as well:

A bit OT- The channel "Upscale" recently posted an upscaled (8K) footage of BotW II and the game looks stunning with all that extra cwispy resolution bump. Here is hoping that in time, MS devs, in addition to RARE who are making Everwild (release date still ways away), delve into that kind of semi-realistic cel-shaded, gracefully aging art aesthetic (yes, I know about Genshin Impact):

As games get more and more realistic, the size of the flaws that were once overlooked are dwindling evermore. With aforementioned art aesthetic, there is a significant amount of headroom to pursue other avenues to attain fidelity that does not largely revolve around discovering and mitigating visual shortcomings.

JusticeBolt

Dec 5, 2017
Canada
Obsidian has 25 open positions right now full time. So yeah they are hiring for The Outer Worlds 2. It should release earlier than everyone expect.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Obsidian has 25 open positions right now full time. So yeah they are hiring for The Outer Worlds 2. It should release earlier than everyone expect.

That would be grand! I am playing back through The Outer Worlds right now and I am having a blast. I really love Obsidian and they are already a great studio but they are about to take things to the next level with Microsoft behind them and I can't wait...

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
6 million views in 5 days for an in-engine teaser of a new IP from one of the worst studios in the industry is impressive./s

This game is going to so massive then you throw it on Game Pass and it's going to be even bigger. Starfield gonna be an event.
It's not in engine. That's in game alpha graphics.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Would recommend checking out some of the other great RPGs through BC:

Oblivion
Kotor 1+2
Fable 2

Are all enhanced and play excellently on Series X
I can't wait for xCloud to upgrade to the Series X blades because I know it's the only way for me to play Fable 2 in great quality.

It's never too late for a PC port, Phil

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Oh yeah, I have a strong feeling it'll launch in 2024 or so.

They already have an established team, they already have a semi working engine and a lot of core gameplay systems established within said engine and they already have an established art direction for the most part as well. Obviously there's going to be a lot of engine improvements and a lot of gameplay changes (and general increase in scope with increased budget) but a lot of the guts are still relatively in place which should mean a faster development cycle

Avowed late 2022/early 2023 and The Outer Worlds 2 in 2024.

JusticeBolt

Dec 5, 2017
Canada
That would be grand! I am playing back through The Outer Worlds right now and I am having a blast. I really love Obsidian and they are already a great studio but they are about to take things to the next level with Microsoft behind them and I can't wait...
Yeah i agree. I am playing the game right now. I fully expect the next game to be incredible with the higher budget and more developpers.

Yep i can also see The Outer Worlds in late 2024 too.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Posted this on Sony OT and might as well do it here as well:

A bit OT- The channel "Upscale" recently posted an upscaled (8K) footage of BotW II and the game looks stunning with all that extra cwispy resolution bump. Here is hoping that in time, MS devs, in addition to RARE who are making Everwild (release date still ways away), delve into that kind of semi-realistic cel-shaded, gracefully aging art aesthetic (yes, I know about Genshin Impact):

As games get more and more realistic, the size of the flaws that were once overlooked are dwindling evermore. With aforementioned art aesthetic, there is a significant amount of headroom to pursue other avenues to attain fidelity that does not largely revolve around discovering and mitigating visual shortcomings.
Co-signed. I really want MS to embrace a diversity of aesthetics and styles. Hyper-realism and chasing reality is great and all, but stylised presentations be it Cell-shaded, Pixar-like, are stunning. Also as you said, cell-shading is generally pretty light on system requirements; would definitely enable MS to push other features further e.g. destructibility, scale.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Co-signed. I really want MS to embrace a diversity of aesthetics and styles. Hyper-realism and chasing reality is great and all, but stylised presentations be it Cell-shaded, Pixar-like, are stunning. Also as you said, cell-shading is generally pretty light on system requirements; would definitely enable MS to push other features further e.g. destructibility, scale.

MS is pushing developer creativity. All of that will come (and arguably has with SoT). But I agree with your general sentiment - bring on more in this (and other) style(s)!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My vote for new OT title

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| More than 23 studios

Mainly because that quote drove everyone mad 😅

Or…

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| A Pilot's Life

(a nod to both Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life and the imminent release of Flight Simulator for Xbox)

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
My vote for new OT title

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OT| More than 23 studios

Something related to that animal with 26 legs as well? I don't remember it.
Make it "The Peruvian Giant Yellow-leg Centipede" (it has 60+ legs).

The-Worlds-Top-10-Animals-With-the-Most-Legs-2.jpg

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Late 2024 for TOW2 sounds right if they didn't start full development until the TOW1 DLC was finished. That would give them about 3 years (about the same dev time as TOW1) only this time they have a lot of the fundamentals down so they're not starting from scratch. Also Obsidian tends to work faster than most.

I think Avowed has a good shot at Spring 2023.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Late 2024 for TOW2 sounds right if they didn't start full development until the TOW1 DLC was finished. That would give them about 3 years (about the same dev time as TOW1) only this time they have a lot of the fundamentals down so they're not starting from scratch. Also Obsidian tends to work faster than most.

I think Avowed has a good shot at Spring 2023.
Based on the speed Obsidian works at I would guess something like September 2022 maybe

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished The Evil Within 1 and 2 back to back, what an amazing series. 1 was better but 2 was still very good. Hope we get a third one directed by Mikami.

Btw, who's directing Ghostwire Tokyo?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Based on the speed Obsidian works at I would guess something like September 2022 maybe
No chance for that. The game is still in pre-production. They released TOW1's DLC this year. They literally said in the trailer that they have just a logo for now. Most of the studio is busy with Avowed. The first TOW took them 3 years, so 2024 is the earliest they'd release the game, IMO. It's likely even further away if they're going for a bigger scope.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Just finished The Evil Within 1 and 2 back to back, what an amazing series. 1 was better but 2 was still very good. Hope we get a third one directed by Mikami.

Pretty sure when Ikumi Nakamura(original director) left Tango, Mikami took over directing duties.

I hope we dont get a third game directed by Mikami. His last game he directs should be his dream game he's talked about.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Most anticipated RPG?

For me, Fable. I think Playground is going to knock it out of the park. Their attention to detail and the teams technical prowess is something that i think will really come out in the title.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Most anticipated RPG?

For me, Fable. I think Playground is going to knock it out of the park. Their attention to detail and the teams technical prowess is something that i think will really come out in the title.
I'm very excited for Fable too--I think Playground will nail it--but I'm a little more excited for Starfield. It's very clearly a labor of love for BGS--they sound so much more excited about it than about Fallout. "Han Solo simulator" sounds awesome and them doing character backgrounds again gives me some strong Morrowind vibes. This game is going to be special.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just played Minecraft Dungeons with my younger siblings - they were both on switch while I remote played on my console on the other side of the country. So wild but so cool.

Also, that game is great. So accessible.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No chance for that. The game is still in pre-production. They released TOW1's DLC this year. They literally said in the trailer that they have just a logo for now. Most of the studio is busy with Avowed. The first TOW took them 3 years, so 2024 is the earliest they'd release the game, IMO. It's likely even further away if they're going for a bigger scope.
I was referring to Avowed lol

tinyrakan

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
User Banned (5 Days): Platform Warring; Recent History of the Same
6 million views in 5 days for an in-engine teaser of a new IP from one of the worst studios in the industry is impressive./s

This game is going to so massive then you throw it on Game Pass and it's going to be even bigger. Starfield gonna be an event.
Sony's boys crying so loudly so hard

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Some ideas -

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| Infinite games on the Horizon

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| All aboard the Xbox Contrabandwagon

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I was referring to Avowed lol
My mistake then. But even with Avowed September 2022 would be very unlikely in my opinion. MS didn't shy away from having games releasing next year at the conference. Avowed not being there makes the chance of a 2022 release very slim. Outside of maybe a few surprise publishing deals, I think we already know games releasing in 2022.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I want MS to do it to avoid another Sunset/Ryse situation. Last gen sucked.
You mean great game with no sequel? I'd be alright with that if it's From quality. The difference between an even well made Souls-like and a true blue Miyazaki Souls game is massive. To me it would be like trading out Gears for Outriders or something.

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
Hello i'm new here and i just wanna say this.. This might be the first time maybe like ever where Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo are all doing amazing and firing on first party and giving us great content.

While i'm not a fan of most of XGS content *I need Fable and Avowed like now* it's amazing to see Xbox back and showing that that content is king and is here.

I got my XSX last week and being a mainly a PS guy, i can say 100% it's very great and smooth OS and fast.

This might sound silly, i mainly got it just to play Fallout 3/New Vegas LMAO

I'm a RPG weeb ^^

If you like strategy/turn based RPG you must try Wasteland 2 and 3, one of the best turn based RPGs nowadays and they're both in Gamepass.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

For what it's worth, Mikami didn't direct the 2nd game, he supervised and consulted on the he, I don't know to how far that went, but John Johannes actually directed the game. Mikami is big about passing Tango down to the new generation. As for Ghostwire, when Nakamura left, Kenji Kimura took over, and I don't know of any other games he's directed, Ghostwire may be his first, which fits Mikamis directive.

He's more or less passed the creative torch at Tango, but he's said he may be willing to return to directing if he could make his dream game. It was kind of an off hand comment at the time if I remember, but who knows. Now that Microsoft has Tango, Shinji Mikamis swan song would be a pretty attractive exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a metaphorical blank check for that one.

Nov 8, 2017

It's interesting to see people differ so much on this. I did a poll a while back and it was about 55:45 in favor of preferring 2.

I think 2 was suuuuuuuuuuch a big improvement. The feel of the controls and the aiming and moving, the visuals, the much more coherent storyline etc. I loved the villains and their theming in 2, how they'd warp the levels in a recognizable way that fit their aesthetic.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I always took the Mikami thing as more 'if I were to do it, this is the only sort of way I could see it happening' rather than him having a specific idea for one game that he wanted made.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hello i'm new here and i just wanna say this.. This might be the first time maybe like ever where Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo are all doing amazing and firing on first party and giving us great content.

While i'm not a fan of most of XGS content *I need Fable and Avowed like now* it's amazing to see Xbox back and showing that that content is king and is here.

I got my XSX last week and being a mainly a PS guy, i can say 100% it's very great and smooth OS and fast.

This might sound silly, i mainly got it just to play Fallout 3/New Vegas LMAO

I'm a RPG weeb ^^

Wasteland 3 was already recommended and it's pretty great. Especially on XSX as it helps with performance.

PoE2 if you haven't played it is surprisingly good.

Yakuza 7 is a well made game with somewhat basic JRPG mechanics that has a ton of heart and a cast of characters that are easy to fall in love with.

I just started playing CrossCode and that seems okay so far. Although it has a weird bug where sound doesn't work with a wireless headset.

There are at least about 2 dozen other older RPGS that you might have previously played. Just hop on and poke around.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My vote for new OT title

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| More than 23 studios

Or…

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| A Pilot's Life

(a nod to both Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life and the imminent release of Flight Simulator for Xbox)

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda |OTXV| We've got game(s)

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, Mikami didn't direct the 2nd game, he supervised and consulted on the he, I don't know to how far that went, but John Johannes actually directed the game. Mikami is big about passing Tango down to the new generation. As for Ghostwire, when Nakamura left, Kenji Kimura took over, and I don't know of any other games he's directed, Ghostwire may be his first, which fits Mikamis directive.

He's more or less passed the creative torch at Tango, but he's said he may be willing to return to directing if he could make his dream game. It was kind of an off hand comment at the time if I remember, but who knows. Now that Microsoft has Tango, Shinji Mikamis swan song would be a pretty attractive exclusive, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a metaphorical blank check for that one.
Let's hope phil can convince him to direct another game then.

The last dance.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting to see people differ so much on this. I did a poll a while back and it was about 55:45 in favor of preferring 2.

I think 2 was suuuuuuuuuuch a big improvement. The feel of the controls and the aiming and moving, the visuals, the much more coherent storyline etc. I loved the villains and their theming in 2, how they'd warp the levels in a recognizable way that fit their aesthetic.
I wasn't a fan of the open areas of the second game tbh. Art direction and overall atmosphere was also better in the first one.

Sophistry

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
Is there any sort of timer for how long certain games will be in gamepass? I kind of want to play Dragon Quest Builders 2 & Yakuza Like a Dragon but they're both 40-50 hour games, and I'm currently finishing up some stuff I'm already into. But I keep getting anxiety over whether I should drop it to play the gamepass stuff in case they get scheduled for removal.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Is there any sort of timer for how long certain games will be in gamepass? I kind of want to play Dragon Quest Builders 2 & Yakuza Like a Dragon but they're both 40-50 hour games, and I'm currently finishing up some stuff I'm already into. But I keep getting anxiety over whether I should drop it to play the gamepass stuff in case they get scheduled for removal.
You should be good for about a year, but it all depends. I want to say the shortest time for a game is 3 months, while most are a year+.

Status
Not open for further replies.