• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Give it to me straight, no sugar coating. Is it better to shell out more to get XSX rather than XSS? I would be getting Xbox just for XGS games in the near future and I feel like if I get XSS some part of my brain would nonstop regret it over not getting XSX.
Has anyone used both?
Obviously I would only be using GP as games source, so going full digital.
if money and stock ain't an issue get an X. imo S is a total waste of money and only those two reasons I consider valid to not getting an X. I don't get into that "I bought an S as a Game Pass machine" drivel that gets used here. guess you can apply the same thinking for first party games in your case. it's not like you're picking between an Xbox and a competitor's box and how much weaker/stronger it is over the former. you're picking the same platform but with different specs. why gimp yourself with an S. so those people who bought an XSS for Game Pass willingly gimped themselves 🤣

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Just a thought…is anyone expecting MS to have a massive restock of Series X go live during or right after the show on Sunday? I'm kinda hoping they have some stockpiled for a big shadow drop that I can get in on..probably wishful thinking.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Just a thought…is anyone expecting MS to have a massive restock of Series X go live during or right after the show on Sunday? I'm kinda hoping they have some stockpiled for a big shadow drop that I can get in on..probably wishful thinking.

There might be something, but I wouldn't count on it, unfortunately.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Give it to me straight, no sugar coating. Is it better to shell out more to get XSX rather than XSS? I would be getting Xbox just for XGS games in the near future and I feel like if I get XSS some part of my brain would nonstop regret it over not getting XSX.
Has anyone used both?

I used a Series S for a while because I couldn't get my hands on a Series X. Unless you are stuck on a 1080p panel, pay the difference and get the Series X if it is feasible to do so.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

Don't quote me but over on the XboxEra livestream I am sure it was mentioned that Gamestop might be having a restock shortly after the showcase. What I do know is that it does seem the Series X is starting to trickle out more.

This is a good point. (And a good example of why PR people do the whole "we can neither confirm nor deny" bit.)

Yeah, and Greenberg since last year has seemingly found a talent to set expectations more and the fact he hasn't shot down the rumours despite them being pretty widespread now has raised some flags for me.

I mean last year there wasn't even no particular strong rumours more people discussing on forums due to Microsoft announcing acquisitions at past events and yet they were shot down.

Last edited:

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I think Ryse gameplay is severly mediocre. You can literally beat the game by just hitting X,X,Y. Any other game would punish you for doing the exact same thing but not Ryse. Were it not for its visuals, Ryse would have been trashed harder than it originally did with its same enemy design. You know what game did Ryse better? Hellblade. Hellblade is literally Ryse but improved combat and different character/setting along with a story that's decent. The gameplay is similar but not braindead and it even has the same berserker slow mo move.
Could not agree with this more. Ryse was fun for what it was. But it wasn't great. It was a good looking, average playing action game. The setting was cool, Roman stuff is underused in games. But that's it.

It didn't do great critically, and the IP holds zero cache anymore. The total number of people who would be excited for Ryse 2 off the IP alone is pretty much zero.

Crytek would be a bizarre purchase. Apart from Crysis they don't have much in the way of IP (and Xbox has a glut of sci-fi shooter IP as it is), and they haven't made anything particularly impressive (Hunt was totally fine) pretty much this whole generation.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
A couple things really, the biggest thing being cryengine. Many people just view purchasing these devs as getting the games, but the other things is their tools. If they get cryengine, they then have 4 - 5 major engines their teams can work with (creation, slipspace, cryengine, UR4/5, and crengine).
Forza Tech is used in 4 currently worked on games (Motorsport/Horizon/Flight Sim/Fable).

Sever

Oct 27, 2017
I guess everyone is on board now?

gLtzLmX.jpg
Can I please get a spot on Spencer's E3 Hype shelf

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk was at the time being supposed to be the next big thing. Elden Ring is nowhere a Juggernaut as a CDProjekt game is - was back in the days. And Microsoft wasn't in the same spot at all, they were starving for big games tied to Xbox.

Just making the point that they ended with big party at the end before.
And they did have a Halo reveal that show. They just started with it,

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I get what he is saying, but I could also see Microsoft editing something in or do a blog post afterwards. Like... "Remember the game we showed at the conference by Avalanche? Our partnership worked so incredible well and to support the team and their ambition we are happy to announce, they will join XGS".

Oh yeah, it feels pretty 50/50 to me. I could see th en holding it or I could see them throwing together a "1 more thing" and playing it at the end of the show, assuming the developer they've acquired has a game at the show. It also feels like Xbox is in a position now where the acquisition of a studio, or indeed a few studios, isn't a big conference making news event, not in and of its self anyway. Crytek or IOI would be pretty big I guess, Avalanche if they also managed to buy the Just Cause IP (from Square I believe right?). Gonna be hard to top Zenimax for impact frankly, among certain fandoms maybe a famous Japanese studio or studio group (Level-5, Falcon) that'd be completely unexpected and could make a conference for fans of Japanese games, but I can't really see them topping Bethesda with western devs. I gusss we'll see right?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I really think that elden ring was at the summer fest because they are going to be too much games sunday and it's better to showing it off at the summer fest.
A lot of people are going to talk about elden ring now, but if it was after sunday. Even if elden ring is à really big game, there is also halo, starfield and Maybe others big games lilz this.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I've been let down continuously by previous E3s despite lowering my expectations to the floor, but I feel different about this one; I think this will be the best Xbox E3 yet! ... put me on the hype shelf!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I really think that elden ring was at the summer fest because they are going to be too much games sunday and it's better to showing it off at the summer fest.
A lot of people are going to talk about elden ring now, but if it was after sunday. Even if elden ring is à really big game, there is also halo, starfield and Maybe others big games lilz this.
I totally agree. I know Elden Ring is big on resetera and From Software games sell well. But I feel the announcement of Elden Ring would've been less impactful on Sunday, because (other) big talking points would be games like Halo, Starfield, Forza, ... . And the "you never seen it coming (Persona 5 quote)" discussion about Starfield being Xbox exclusive.

But at the SGF Elden Ring was the God of War or Halo of other shows so to speak.
I've been let down continuously by previous E3s despite lowering my expectations to the floor, but I feel different about this one; I think this will be the best Xbox E3 yet! ... put me on the hype shelf!
The avatar is amazing and I really enjoyed the anime :)

Titania

Top Shelf Member
May 12, 2021
This!
And yes it's Dark Souls with horses and that's why I love it.

Jan 11, 2020
Has anyone used both?
I have used both consoles, if you dont have/plan to buy a 4k tv i would go with the S :)
Lovely little machine..

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Oh for sure. Elden Ring wouldn't have been announced with anywhere near the same hype at Xbox show between Halo and Starfield.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Just making the point that they ended with big party at the end before.
And they did have a Halo reveal that show. They just started with it,
True enough and yes even with a stellar line-up they could show a third party thing but it would have to be really big enough and be a reveal in order to generate some hype (Splinter Cell, a Kohima game or something like that IMO).

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary. Don't use the word 'retard' as a prejorative here.
About last night's announcements, it's a shame Ska Studios has not come back to Xbox. It doesn't affect as I can play their games on Steam, but I played most of their releases on Xbox 360, Salt and Sacrifice is still sharing that distinct artstyle of The Dishwasher and Charlie Murder, playing them on Xbox again would just feel right. Maybe it's silly of me, but that's how I feel.

This song was great:
www.youtube.com

i maed a gam3 w1th z0mb1es full song

I made a game with zombies in itfull version

Man, Microsoft was so ahead of Nintendo, Sony and even Steam back in the early XBLA/XNA/Community Games days, it's a shame they went full retard around the XB1 launch and lost developers like Ska in the process.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Alright, I guess hype is getting to me now that the event is very close. Very excited to see what they have on offer and potentially hear about more acquisitions.

I am also still holding out hope for that Flight Simulator drop on Sunday.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My first time aboard the Microsoft E3 hype train/shelf since... 2012?
Has anyone used both?
I got an XSS, and honestly it's great. I have a 4k TV but it still looks really good. 360 BC games don't look quite as good, but that wasn't worth another £200 to me. Storage isn't amazing but I realised that download speeds are such that it's not a hassle to shuffle 7-8 big games around at a time. Honestly if your budget is a little bit tight and you're not completely tech obsessed, great little machine. I also bought pretty much solely for GP

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Oh for sure. Elden Ring wouldn't have been announced with anywhere near the same hype at Xbox show between Halo and Starfield.

Honestly, I don't know.
I don't feel like the Sekiro gameplay reveal at E3 2018 was overshadowed by anything, even though there was Halo, Gears, Cyberpunk, DMC5, Dying Light 2.

I actually think that being apart of a showcase of massive games elevate each games individually (not that the Kickoff live didn't have massive games, but most reveals were super small even for big games - like the Overwatch 2 skins).

Just like if Halo had a great demo last year, then the rest of the show wouldn't have been so problematic being CG-only.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Has anyone used both?

If you're worried about it, get an X. The S is a nice system for the mass market people who will never notice and don't know if their tv is 4k or not.

It's kind of odd that he's making a big deal about this.. They turned down the Xbox deal because they made a deal with Geoff... It seems to be that simple lol.

If he has some crazy thing to say, he should just say it. Hinting at nefarious dealings over a trailer for a multiplat game is pretty damn pointless.

I think it's also partially that Fallout fans have been spoiled, in the same time that Elder Scrolls fans got only Skyrim, Fallout fans have gotten Fallout 3, New Vegas, 4, and 76, they don't know how they're going handle a decade without a Fallout game like Elder Scrolls fans had to deal with lol

Yes, as a pretty big Elder Scrolls fan and not at all Fallout fan, my interest in Bethesda has seriously diminished over the last decade. Super excited for Starfield though!

Psi-Duck

Oct 22, 2018
Geoff's recent tweet makes it seem like they really did want the end of show spotlight. My guess MS wouldn't give them that. 🤷 who knows.

I know it's been addressed in previous messages, but Grubb and Mike Minotti made it seem that Bandai Namco did not want to ruffle King Sony's feathers whatsoever. That was my take on it. They explicitly turned down money from Sony.

MS has the money, but Sony has the influence.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Bandai Namco are terrified of Sony, that's why they've continually revealed all their big, new upcoming From releases at the Xbox showcase, because Jim Ryan made them do it to punish them.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Hellblade 2 could beat E3! Don't think this was one of the rumoured games, so looking forward to other surprises

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
About last night's announcements, it's a shame Ska Studios has not come back to Xbox. It doesn't affect as I can play their games on Steam, but I played most of their releases on Xbox 360, Salt and Sacrifice is still sharing that distinct artstyle of The Dishwasher and Charlie Murder, playing them on Xbox again would just feel right. Maybe it's silly of me, but that's how I feel.

This song was great:
www.youtube.com

i maed a gam3 w1th z0mb1es full song

I made a game with zombies in itfull version

Man, Microsoft was so ahead of Nintendo, Sony and even Steam back in the early XBLA/XNA/Community Games days, it's a shame they went full retard around the XB1 launch and lost developers like Ska in the process.
Salt & Sanctuary did eventually make its way to Xbox, so there's a chance the new one will as well. It sucks that it won't come to Xbox on day 1, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.