• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I think different animals will do different things for you, or have different abilities. Assuming you can probably command 1 at a time to perform tasks, obviously teaming up with a party will allow you to do more complex missions or tasks, or even take on tougher beasts.

🤷‍♂️

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if its the 3D spiritual successor to Four Swords in a big open world w/ pet companions I've wanted since I was young...

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Who do you think will be Xbox's most improved studio in this generation? I am not asking the best one. The most improved one.

For me,

1. inXile Entertainment
2. Compulsion Games
3. Ninja Theory

Undead Labs. State of Decay was already a pretty amazing game mechanically. It was just missing better animations and narrative. Those seem like things money can fix.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely nothing about Everwild hints at combat, I just don't think it will be that kind of game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm a sucker for monster collecting games, so if Everwild is like that they got me.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I know that sometimes I repeat myself often but I really really want to see some MS studios to follow Rockstar's approach.

The Coalition will support Gears 5 and they are working on unannounced title (probably Gears 6). 5-6 years years development cycle for next Gears game would be dope. Fully next-gen game with jaw dropping graphics and new mechanics. It would be genre defining game.
I don't think that's realistic, considering waiting 5-6 years mean just one game for a console and then working on next gen engines upgrades and repeat. Microsoft has many studios now and some of them can and deserve imo more time, but 5-6 year is to much imo. Those games aren't as successful as RDR2 or GTA and the budget needs to be realistic and based on the success of the franchises.
Fridays aren't typically big news day, right?
My bet is in Monday. Just a random thought.
Would love more Kait and wouldn't mind more horror.

3005006p4.jpg
I think Kait is the best Gears character yet and hope they conclude her story before moving on to something else, be it a new IP or soft rebooting Gears with a new story, cast, ... .
Oh man this guy's got talent, previously at Codemaster's working on F1. Forza cars are gonna look goooood
He seems to be talented and I am so excited for the next Forza Motorsport. The car detail shown in the in-engine trailer was second to none and usually you use game assets for these trailers.

forza-motorsport-reve30jrs.jpg

Saw this earlier when watching the podcast but someone clipped it out

👀 (it's happening surely). Special guest and can't promise it yet? Yep, seems to be the deal, because I think all other guests would be 100% on this show at this point in time.
Atlus is asking for Xbox owners feedback for the first time ever. Get those Sega rumors burning again.

Great and let's hope Xbox only gamers get to experience one of the best JRPG of all time in Persona 5. Just getting future entries would be amazing, too.
Btw I think Microsoft needs a first party sports game like NBA 2K or FIFA.
I don't think those would make sense due to licensing. But what could work are sport games in either niche sports like Tennis or some fun sport versions of soccer and so on.
SI_Wii_MarioStrikersChargedFootball_image1600w.jpg

Conkers striker with Xbox casts anyone?
The best way for Microsoft to make a huge splash is by having a single show. Do the best with what they have, even if it means showcasing games that are timed exclusives on PS5.
I think they shouldn't market the PS5 time exclusive games on their Xbox show and rather tell Sony to market them on theirs like they've done recently. Xbox should have enough to show to fill 2 hours with content coming to Xbox day1.
Who do you think will be Xbox's most improved studio in this generation? I am not asking the best one. The most improved one.

For me,

1. inXile Entertainment
2. Compulsion Games
3. Ninja Theory
Those three you mentioned and Obsidian are basically coming from a crowdfunding budget and now have the ability to make games with a good budget, thus I think those studios will surely improve a lot.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Defintely check out the Compulsion Games/WHF Documentary if you get the time. I actually timestamped the first time the game was showed, the kickstarter that followed, E3, Compulsion trying to nail down the vision for this game, etc. It really shows how difficult it is to make a game, the type of changes that occur during development, difficulty getting funds, making the game your planning on making vs expectations of fans, etc.

Cool. Love documentaries. It was in 19 and it sounds like they're closing the books on We Happy Few, and that they're looking to something new. Doesn't sound like there will be a sequel.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I hope we can farm in Everwild. Give me a big ranch to tame these animals

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Just based on the Everwild trailers and their ethereal vibe, I don't think that you battle with or tame the animals.

I guess the title doesnt really match either if you ended up taming them.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
My dream is for Everwild to have no combat and just be a huge playground for epic puzzles and riddles, with a big story campaign.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The fact that there's so much uncertainty about this (exclusivity) is a huge failure from Microsoft's leadership. There would never be this uncertainty if Sony or Nintendo purchased Bethesda.
I partly agree, but I think the big reason why Microsoft has been so vague about the exclusivity issue is because there are games promised to other platforms. I strongly suspect the Indiana Jones game was promised to Disney to be released as a multiplatform game, then there are games like Deathloop and Tokyo, DOOM VR, as well as updates to the existing online games like TESO and FO76. Because of all those games, it's probably hard to come up with strong messaging. Hence the vague "case by case." That said, I fully expect Starfield to be exclusive to Xbox and PC, since its platforms weren't announced and it's a new IP no one can claim was "stolen" from other platforms. I think once people get used to the idea of Starfield and Wolf 3 being Xbox exclusive, breaking the news that TES VI will be, too, will be easier. I wish they just ripped off the bandaid, but at this point, I'll be very surprised if they announce the TES exclusivity next week.

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Not sure what to expect with Everwild. I've tried to get friends to get in a Sea of Thieves session with me, and it hasn't jived with them. Only that one time we where all under the influence of several substances (drunk/high discord call SoT is next level fun yall) did we have a legit great time XD

Mad respect for what the game has grown into though

Last edited:

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
My hope for Everwild is that it can be played offline, SP, with a normal campaign with a start and finish.

Otherwise I'm not interested.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I partly agree, but I think the big reason why Microsoft has been so vague about the exclusivity issue is because there are games promised to other platforms. I strongly suspect the Indiana Jones game was promised to Disney to be released as a multiplatform game, then there are games like Deathloop and Tokyo, DOOM VR, as well as updates to the existing online games like TESO and FO76. Because of all those games, it's probably hard to come up with strong messaging. Hence the vague "case by case." That said, I fully expect Starfield to be exclusive to Xbox and PC, since its platforms weren't announced and it's a new IP no one can claim was "stolen" from other platforms. I think once people get used to the idea of Starfield and Wolf 3 being Xbox exclusive, breaking the news that TES VI will be, too, will be easier. I wish they just ripped off the banaid, but at this point, I'll be very surprised if they announce the TES exclusivity next week.

I doubt they will make a official "exclusive" announcement because things change all the time, and this could be used against them in the future. Like, people sued Fortnite for calling a bundle "exclusive" when the skin appeared on the shop years later.

"Case by case" like they said is the most obvious approach.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
What an amazing username and picture.

I just want to know what this game is. Like what is the game? Are you just wandering and petting animals? is it even a game? Is there a story. Looks gorgeous though

They've shown exploration, some type of connection with the animals and world through powers and rituals. It's going to be interesting how Rare puts that together. I'm kind of hoping it's a world to get lost in over a period of time even if it has a main story. Sannin's know what's up : )

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
"Pacifist Monster Hunter" is a fun thing to think about. I don't know if Everwild would have any sort of combat, but if it DID have a combat state where you don't actually do any attacking, I think it'd be interesting to brainstorm how that would work, how to make it fun and engaging. I mean, "Dodge and whittle away at _____" is a tried and true formula, whether that's HP, or life force, or will, or whatever. That's just a matter of animation. But, are there entirely different paradigms of how to make "pacifist combat" engaging without it being tedious or just reskinned actual combat? Environmental puzzles? Creature specific tasks (bugsnax was kinda like this - though, this part apparently wasn't engaging forever in that game either)?

Compulsion Games is definitely a wildcard. I honestly wonder what Xbox was thinking when they bought them (though that sounds harsher than I intend it to be). Contrast was a fun and unique game, albeit a bit rough around the edges, when I played it on PS4 launch. We Happy Few I skipped, but I remember being interested in the announcement trailer. Seemed like it didn't turn out the way people expected it to be with all the "Bioshock" comparisons at first getting subverted.

It seems like they've released some DLC for WHF over the years, which surprises me. It's gonna be 5 years with no new game announcement, and I don't think the DLC has ever got much buzz? Hopefully they're cooking up something good.
The funny thing is that the "announcement trailer' that most people think of wasn't even the actual announce of the game. We had known WHF was a procedural survival game UNTIL people seemed to connect to the story. But the bones were already there (in public testing!), so it's not like they could throw it all out. But, later sections of the game, and especially the DLC, were actually very well received. They were more story driven and linear, which seems to have resonated with players.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I have no hope for Everwild. I'd love to be proven wrong but Rare's recent design philosophy is not for me.

I like progression, leveling up, you know, typical video gamey thingies. I feel like Everwild is gonna be another Sea of Thives kind of game and it's not a bad thing just not my cup of tea.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I kinda feel that way too but I do hope Everwild is more video gamey in the ways you state. Doesn't need them all but give me some more traditional structure please

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
I have no hope for Everwild. I'd love to be proven wrong but Rare's recent design philosophy is not for me.

I like progression, leveling up, you know, typical video gamey thingies. I feel like Everwild is gonna be another Sea of Thives kind of game and it's not a bad thing just not my cup of tea.
Yeah I hope Everwild has some sort of story campaign and/or a progression system.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I love Sea of Thieves. But I also have very little hope for Everwild because last year it sounded like they were still working out what kind of game they wanted it to be.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I love Sea of Thieves. But I also have very little hope for Everwild because last year it sounded like they were still working out what kind of game they wanted it to be.

Yeah, at this point it could be anything. From BOTW to Pokemon to Sea of Thieves.

Latest trend seems to be Roguelike? Maybe something like that?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
They've shown exploration, some type of connection with the animals and world through powers and rituals. It's going to be interesting how Rare puts that together. I'm kind of hoping it's a world to get lost in over a period of time even if it has a main story. Sannin's know what's up : )
i hope it's a world to LIVE in...kinda like Los Santos and the Sea of Thieves type thing.

bruh, we gotta nerd out on this anime sometime lol. im praying we get a AAA shippuden 1-175 game sometime soon

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
How long do reports usually take?

Some kid tonight wished me to get COVID and not recover. Then later he wished me to 'do society a favor…" usually i laugh at these idiots but this kid was something real special

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I really Hope there IS some solo gameplay on everwild, i want to play some game from rare but solo, and sometimes if i feel it, playing it with some Friends .
Animal crossing was my best multiplayer game , i did my Island, sometimes i went to somes Friend or stranger to see theirs ( or doing some trade) and then going back to mine and do m'y things.
I reallly would like a rare game like this where you Can really do what you want in solo .

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, all I really want to know about Everwild is what on earth it is. It's incredibly gorgeous, so if they deliver on that, I'll probably pick it up.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
In order for Gamepass to be a success, and they will be aiming for it to be more of a success than it is now, they need exclusives to drive subs.

Having their really expensive games coming to a main competitor will drive less so subs and therefore Gamepass will be less of a success.
Disagree. Game Pass success is driven by the number of games it includes that people can play "for free", regardless of them being exclusive. Many people already switched ecosystem thanks to this, and they aren't definitely doing it because they feel it's got better exclusives.

In fact, today zero games are exclusive to Game Pass, yet it's having huge success: every Xbox exclusive can be bought on Xbox and in many cases PC too, driving less subs.

Game Pass exclusives won't be needed until some other subscription service will start competing with a comparable offering of features and content.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The only thing that keeps me away from Sea of Thieves is the forced PvP. I really hope that's not in Everwild.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
The only thing that keeps me away from Sea of Thieves is the forced PvP. I really hope that's not in Everwild.
A 10 to 20 hours of campaign where you learn of to play, learn about the World , getting some funny gears and going online when you want like the current games could have such a massive game for me.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hell, all I really want to know about Everwild is what on earth it is. It's incredibly gorgeous, so if they deliver on that, I'll probably pick it up.
Based upon the popularity of some recent games, I am hoping for some sandbox survival Sim but with magical elements and a strong storyline. Throw in some Viva Pinata/Animal Crossing elements as well.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree. Game Pass success is driven by the number of games it includes that people can play "for free", regardless of them being exclusive. Many people already switched ecosystem thanks to this, and they aren't definitely doing it because they feel it's got better exclusives.

In fact, today zero games are exclusive to Game Pass, yet it's having huge success: every Xbox exclusive can be bought on Xbox and in many cases PC too, driving less subs.

Game Pass exclusives won't be needed until some other subscription service will start competing with a comparable offering of features and content.
That's part of it, but to really grow Gamepass then exclusives with be important, this is true of every subscription service.....that is why Microsoft has bought so many developers.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Based upon the popularity of some recent games, I am hoping for some sandbox survival Sim but with magical elements and a strong storyline. Throw in some Viva Pinata/Animal Crossing elements as well.
I feel like "sandbox survival sim" and "strong storyline" are kind of... maybe not mutually exclusive but at odds with each other, at the very least. If you want to give your players total freedom to wander around and get wrapped up in the systems, you can't really engage in the kinds of timing decisions strong conventional storytelling requires. Best you could do is a Dark Souls sorta environmental storytelling deal.

Honestly, thus far I have really no idea what the gameplay could even be like, going off the trailers. The very pointed lack of combat has me scratching my head a little.

Jul 28, 2020

I don't think this is right, also the whole "rule" about console games being on PC = not exclusive has never really worked. It gets trotted out a lot by Sony fans, but the the idea that everyone who plays games on a console could just skip the hardware and play it on a pc is just incorrect. You can tell this because for decades games have cost more on console than on PC. Why don't console players just play those games on their PC for less? The answer is that Console owners generally don't own a PC. Simple as that. Most console owners don't have 2 consoles. Even fewer console owners own an Xbox and a PlayStation.

Microsoft absolutely want their platform to be the place to go. The right way of doing this, as absolutely anyone can see is to make that platform as attractive as possible. Putting all your games on their main competitor's platform is not the way to do that.

As for gamepass not needing exclusives because there are no other subscriptions out there to compare to it, there will be and they'll know it.

Microsoft leaving those discounted sneaky ways to get on gamepass available is no accident. They're still trying to grow their subscribers, and are still a long way off even half of Gold subscribers having gamepass.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think they care about short term gains, their whole model is to get as many people on gamepass, on Xbox, as possible. Anything that undermines that is unlikely to be what they're going to do.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I want Everwild with strong narrative. Halo and new BF will fill the multiplayer gap. Sea of Thieves would be much more successful if it wasn't GaaS game.

Status
Not open for further replies.