• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't really been following this flurry of Bethesda/Starfield activity that's kicking off.

Do we feel like it's just social media folk jumping on the bandwagon and flexing like they know something that they don't (just in case) or is it a 'no smoke without fire' situation? Anyone credible come out and said anything about what's going on?

It does seem to be mostly speculation. There's good reason to think there'll be something as many have been predicting a 2021 release for a while, and naturally Xbox is going to put something out (probably an extended video) once the Bethesda acquisition finally clears. I do not think we'll get any gameplay, just another CGI trailer, or maybe in-engine, showing more of the game's tone, and a hint at gameplay mechanics. We likely won't see gameplay until Todd is on our screen with 20-30 minutes set aside to whisper those sweet little lies in our ears.

lol the Beth.net launcher is by far the worst launcher out there :D One good outcome of the Zenimax aquisition is the death of their stupid launcher (hopefully).

Yeah, the Bethesda launcher may be the only one I've used that is worse than the Microsoft Store or the Xbox beta app lol. Those are at least the bottom two from my experience. I don't get why this is so difficult for the worlds' largest software company to pull off.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a price drop on the 1 TB expansion or some quality 3rd party offerings soon. I've been over 95% and forced to delete things since a week after launch. And at this point I'm far too spoiled by Quick Resume to use a USB solution.
Pretty sure quick resume works on basic a hdd/ssd

Yeah, Quick Resume works with an external USB drive just fine.

I have the Storage Expansion card and a 5TB USB HDD and Quick Resume works fine with both of them.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
A lot of ps news which doesn't seem tied to any time table today... is there to counter message some other news ?

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Looks like Xbox should have announced in the July showcase their games were going to release in 2021, get a bunch of press about an amazing launch year, then delay most of them into 2022 with an acknowledgment that it was inevitable...

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Avowed has to be shown off this year a lot of people kept saying it would be out before fable and I was in the camp that fable would be coming out first

Nov 23, 2018
Avowed has to be shown off this year a lot of people kept saying it would be out before fable and I was in the camp that fable would be coming out first
Hopefully there's gameplay for Xbox and Bethesda this year. I totally understand why most everything was CGI last year. I don't need extended gameplay sections, either. 30-45 second sequences that show how games will look, play, and feel are enough for me.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Looks like Xbox should have announced in the July showcase their games were going to release in 2021, get a bunch of press about an amazing launch year, then delay most of them into 2022 with an acknowledgment that it was inevitable...

indeed.

I don't think anyone actually thought GT7 and GOW would release this year.
Great to hear they are now more onboard with PC releases :)

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Fable is 2023/2024 they lack too much of dev for soonish release.

Avowed the team is already here since End of 2018/ mid 2019
pretty sure the avowed team and fable team are similar in size now. In 2018 they wanted to grow to 200 team members on the fable team and its been 3 years since there are 100+ people on the avowed team.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else feel like any and all mainstream VR interest kinda came and went ages ago? Even something as massive as a new Half Life couldn't make a big splash for longer than a couple of weeks.

Feels like the VR hype came and went already with a whimper once again. Strange to me that Sony is going all in again.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
This game is rumoured to be about Vampires / Gothic setting

Where did that ever come from? I hear everyone say this but have never seen a source or anything. I know Prey underperformed, but it had decent legs via word of mouth advertising. It eventually sold around a million copies on Steam, albeit with some good price reductions. With Xbox and PS, you have to figure it at least crossed the 2 million mark.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone else feel like any and all mainstream VR interest kinda came and went ages ago? Even something as massive as a new Half Life couldn't make a big splash for longer than a couple of weeks.

Feels like the VR hype came and went already with a whimper once again. Strange to me that Sony is going all in again.
VR is amazing but the hardware is still not where it needs to be to really take off. If Sony can get wireless with their new hardware it's going to explode

craven68

Jun 20, 2018

There are just not a lot of game but half life VR for exemple IS the most next gen game i have played. I Hope Sony since they are all in are making games in this scale.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018

Yep, it's just not going to catch on in it's current state. The fact that Sony's next VR still isn't wireless is a big ooof for me.

Maybe in 5-10 years Nintendo will come out with something and it'll truly catch on.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

PS lineup is looking rather thing right now. Returnal, Ratchet and maybe Horizon from Sony 1st parties. Let's hope for some surprises from both Sony and MS! 🤞🏽

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's just not going to catch on in it's current state. The fact that Sony's next VR still isn't wireless is a big ooof for me.

Maybe in 5-10 years Nintendo will come out with something and it'll truly catch on.
Exactly. It's why I think Xbox is kinda sitting and waiting for the right time to explore the medium.

I think VR will continue to be one of those things where a cool experience or game releases a couple of times per year but nothing more. Nothing that is a must have or must buy.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
pretty sure the avowed team and fable team are similar in size now. In 2018 they wanted to grow to 200 team members on the fable team and its been 3 years since there are 100+ people on the avowed team.

Fable team have 2 quest designer, 5 level designer, 1 gameplay designer, 1 technical designer, 5 Game designer & 1 Creative director that's 15 designer.

Avowed Team have already a big team of at least +12/13 Area Designer (Mix of Level designer, Technical designer & Quest designer) not to mention their combat designer team, Systems designer, narrative designer, it already goes up to roughly 30 designer (and they still recruiting)

For reference :

The Witcher 3 is 45 Designer team (including writers)
Cyberpunk is 90 designer team (including writers)
HZD is 39 designer team (including writers)
Fallout 4/76 is 33 designer team (including writers)

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Fable team have 2 quest designer, 5 level designer, 1 gameplay designer, 1 technical designer, 5 Game designer & 1 Creative director that's 15 designer.

Avowed Team have already a big team of at least +12/13 Area Designer (Mix of Level designer, Technical designer & Quest designer) not to mention their combat designer team, Systems designer, narrative designer, it already goes up to roughly 30 designer (and they still recruiting)

For reference :

More isn't always better though cyberpunk was a disaster and fallout 76 was also disaster. Would rather have less devs that are more talented than more devs that are not

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Where did that ever come from? I hear everyone say this but have never seen a source or anything. I know Prey underperformed, but it had decent legs via word of mouth advertising. It eventually sold around a million copies on Steam, albeit with some good price reductions. With Xbox and PS, you have to figure it at least crossed the 2 million mark.

Past OTs and Xbox Era.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
More isn't always better though cyberpunk was a disaster and fallout 76 was also disaster. Would rather have less devs that are more talented than more devs that are not

Yes agree but that the standard for AAA development and PG has a lot of positions open for principal designer that why I think Fable is really far away.

BGS work with small team of designer comparing to AAA standard. Skyrim is one of the biggest game of the decade but have only 16 designer.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

For reference :

Your example shows that more isn't necessarily better. Cyberpunk had twice as many designers as TW3, but it isn't 1/3 as good as TW3, with a shallow world design.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Once again, I have to say that Microsoft's decision not to push VR for their next gen console is puzzling as hell.

Ah well.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Yes agree but that the standard for AAA development and PG has a lot of positions open for principal designer that why I think Fable is really far away.

BGS work with small team of designer comparing to AAA standard. Skyrim is one of the biggest game of the decade but have only 16 designer.
Agreed. Either way I am very excited for both and can't wait to play them. I hope Xbox gives them a lot of support those games alone can boost the brand to new heights not even including fall out or skyrim

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, I have to say that Microsoft's decision not to push VR for their next gen console is puzzling as hell.

Ah well.

It is not the sort of accessory that will sell tens of millions like kinetic, plus their studios are at a different place in the timeline/cycle than Sony this gen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with your first statement but you last statement is massively oversimplifying the complicated development issues that come with huge scale and scope and ambitious systems, mechanics, and A.I. within a set budget and time and overall direction and pipeline efficiencies as well as likely making an inaccurate assumption that the devs are less talented simply due to their being more as opposed to less devs on a project.

Ah well.
MS is doing the right thing waiting it out until they see a viable VR solution that's mainstream ready.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020

Ah well.
All indicatiors are showing VR to be a niche currently and for the foreseeable future. Not Sonys PSVR has changed this, not a new friggin Half-Life, not Oculus Quest or Valve Index or what have you. I'm okay with Xbox being focused on Core experience instead of supporting every gimmick possible. They burned that bridge with forcing Kinect onto everyone with XBone.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
I agree with your first statement but you last statement is massively oversimplifying the complicated development issues that come with huge scale and scope and ambitious systems, mechanics, and A.I. within a set budget and time and overall direction and pipeline efficiencies as well as likely making an inaccurate assumption that the devs are less talented simply due to their being more as opposed to less devs on a project.

MS is doing the right thing waiting it out until they see a viable VR solution that's mainstream ready.
Everything you just said literally attributes to adding more people to a project makes things more complicated. Games like No man sky have really small teams, and their development pipeline is better than a lot of major triple a games studios is why I said more isn't always better

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
For me, one of the most disappointing things MS could do right now is talk about VR. Once some of their big games start dropping and they have a consistent release schedule then I'd be open to them talking about VR and devoting resources to it.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

This is how all technology hype works. Look up the gartner hype cycle.

Computers, phones, consoles, tablets - they all went through the exact same thing VR has been going through.

The media just likes to romanticize the idea of tech exploding into the mainstream in just a few years when that's impossible. Analysts also jump on this bandwagon and it results in overinflated expectations that don't agree with what industry-insiders are saying.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
For me, one of the most disappointing things MS could do right now is talk about VR. Once some of their big games start dropping and they have a consistent release schedule then I'd be open to them talking about VR and devoting resources to it.
I mean that's what phil has been saying. It's good that PlayStation is doing it though so the market doesn't die out

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything you just said literally attributes to adding more people to a project makes things more complicated. Games like No man sky have really small teams and their development pipeline is better than a lot major triple a games studios is why I said more isn't always better
Like I said I agree in general that more isn't always better, but the statement that you preferred "less devs that are more talented than more devs that are not" is an empty statement not really applicable to why some AAA games have had the issues they've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.