• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I agree. TC needs 5-6 years for Gears 6. Gears also needs a reboot like GoW (2018).
gears really doesn't need a reboot, gears 5 was really good and just improving the game, it's already a nice step up.
i like god of war, but i don't understand why every game need a reboot, i had more fun playing gears 5 than god of war.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
There were a rumor about a multiplatform game that was multi and become exclusif right ?
This is just for fun, but if the game was the bloodline game from paradox ? 'there were rumor about paradox and Microsoft and some kind of relationship.
Can you see one of thé studio from Microsoft taking the game in house and continue the dévelopment. If i m not mistaken , a lot of people of the first game are now in inexile and obsidian .

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Gamepass's selling point is its value for money, and I don't think having those games elsewhere with a $60 or $70 price tag devalues it - if anything having games sold full price elsewhere makes gamepass look even better. Having games available on other platforms is a good way to get gamers interested in your line-up also.

It's worth noting here, that Spencer specifically cited the "expectations" it was creating, in their decision not to make any more current plans to bring games to the Switch. That would equally apply to, say, people coming to "expect" that Bethesda games come to PS5 6-18 months later.

There's obviously value in permanent exclusivity, or Sony and Microsoft would port their games to each others' consoles after a period of timed exclusivity - might as well get that money after all. Sony for their part have only just begun to even explore porting games to PC, let alone competing consoles.

Value is a big selling point for Game Pass, but it won't be the selling point for everyone, and Microsoft know that. There are lots of gamers who buy consoles based on exclusive software lineups, and will sign up for something like Game Pass if it creates a convenient way to access those games, with value as a secondary or peripheral concern.

SilentEagle

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
gears really doesn't need a reboot, gears 5 was really good and just improving the game, it's already a nice step up.
i like god of war, but i don't understand why every game need a reboot, i had more fun playing gears 5 than god of war.

I definitely like The Coalition's work since Gears 5. I didn't like GeoW 4 at all but they've done many great things in Gears 5. In Hivebusters, they proved they can bring jaw dropping graphics. Once they get familiar with Series X's hardware they will make better job.

But Gears 5's mechanics are like Xbox 360+ game. More innovative approach will make Gears a system seller again IMO.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
There's obviously value in permanent exclusivity, or Sony and Microsoft would port their games to each others' consoles after a period of timed exclusivity - might as well get that money after all. Sony for their part have only just begun to even explore porting games to PC, let alone competing consoles.
I wonder when Sony will start fully embracing PC gaming. At some point Playstation will have to move away from a hardware-centric ecosystem to a service(/content) oriented ecosystem, but it seems they're not ready to commit just yet. Microsoft has a headstart in theory, but luckily for Sony the Xbox platform on PC is a disaster.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
There were a rumor about a multiplatform game that was multi and become exclusif right ?
This is just for fun, but if the game was the bloodline game from paradox ? 'there were rumor about paradox and Microsoft and some kind of relationship.
Can you see one of thé studio from Microsoft taking the game in house and continue the dévelopment. If i m not mistaken , a lot of people of the first game are now in inexile and obsidian .

This is actually a pretty good bet.
BUT. It'd be a bit shitty for the original developer in a way, so I don't know if that is something that Xbox would actually do.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Boy, the MS curse continues lol. Games they show and having marketing deals with just continue to die, miss expectations, or ship broken then bomb. XD Sigh.

If they did this, I'd be confused. Taking on another team's work, especially if it's not gone well, is not what I'd expect or want a Xbox 1st party studio to do. I could maybe see this is MS buys Paradox, then largely sends this back into prepro for a while. But I really doubt Cain and Boyarsky want to just get thrown onto this project per se either.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I wonder when Sony will start fully embracing PC gaming. At some point Playstation will have to move away from a hardware-centric ecosystem to a service(/content) oriented ecosystem, but it seems they're not ready to commit just yet. Microsoft has a headstart in theory, but luckily for Sony the Xbox platform on PC is a disaster.

It's more difficult for Sony to expand outside consoles because they have no relevance in Cloud or PC. Sony will need to start a storefront from scratch and will need to port their tools, engines, APIs etc to PC. Microsoft doesn't have this problem because Windows and Xbox use the exact same APIs and they unified their development across consoles, PC and Cloud with the new Xbox GDK.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I definitely like The Coalition's work since Gears 5. I didn't like GeoW 4 at all but they've done many great things in Gears 5. In Hivebusters, they proved they can bring jaw dropping graphics. Once they get familiar with Series X's hardware they will make better job.

But Gears 5's mechanics are like Xbox 360+ game. More innovative approach will make Gears a system seller again IMO.

God of War's mechanics are like an Xbox 360 game too. I mean, how different are any of these games in their core, from what came 10 years ago? In slickness, detail, effects, smoothness etc, incomparably better, but in terms of the mechanics? Same shit, different skin.

Gears feels older because within the franchise it hasn't had the same dynamic shift.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The real area Microsoft is 'leaving money on the table' is in the PC space.

their inability to get a working PC store is just plain weird.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Boy, the MS curse continues lol. Games they show and having marketing deals with just continue to die, miss expectations, or ship broken then bomb. XD Sigh.

Or maybe it's just your confirmation bias. These gaming deals are always hit or miss.

While Cyberpunk was a disaster, Assassin's Creed had Xbox marketing rights and sold more copies in its first week than any other AC game ever. Call of the Sea (81 MC/ 79 OC) was well received and The Medium (75 OC) did decent (albeit an acquired taste).

Same with Playstation deals -- Bugsnax was a relative hit, Godfall not so much.

Not really, as long as they are being sold on Steam, that's where the money is in the PC space. Even though they give Steam a 30% cut, they will certainly make way more money through Steam than the Windows store.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yep, my timeline is full of starfield posts.

This is going down soon....
I hope so, because I am thirsty for next gen news, even though Switch is a next gen console and there was the direct. But you all know what I mean (PS5, XsX news).
I always thought that the acquisition moment would not be an event per say, but to have the first Starfield gameplay trailer scheduled at that moment followed by the press' previews would give Xbox a big news momentum sometimes in march.
It's more than I expected honestl. I just hope Microsoft will be as clear as possible to us consumers. I think most already know the answer, but I am kinda tired of these discussions around Bethesda and whether the games will be exclusive or not and I am a patient person.
I get that things can't usually be shown before it's locked and really polished (like what happened with Halo), but then why are some studios like Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog able to reveal lengthy polished gameplay demos two to three years before the games release? Why couldn't some Xbox studios pull that off too?
PS studios are just a very well oiled machine and they do a pretty good job building these demos with a separate taskforce inside the teams. They don't always hit the target aka Uncharted 4 teaser trailer, tho and that's one of the risks I guess. The games are nowhere near to be finished.

For Microsoft to do the same, they would need to calculate with some developers being away from standard development while they make the special demo section. It's possible, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for unknown reasons. I hope they do better demos in the future, although I don't need demos 2 years in advance personally. My preferred schedule for most games would be...
  • 2 years before release: announcement trailer
  • 1 year before release: Gameplay demo + new trailer
  • 3-6 months before release: trailer + State of Play/Direct focused on a deep dive for the game.
But I don't think all games would benefit from this. For example I like how Forza Horizon is dealt with. ~6 months ahead of release the announcement and then just release it. Seems to work great with the franchise, considering the growth it had during Xbox One generation.
I agree. TC needs 5-6 years for Gears 6. Gears also needs a reboot like GoW (2018).
I don't think they should reboot anything with Gears 6 yet. My preferred Coalition schedule would be...
  • Finishing Gears 6 and with that the Kait arc
  • Work on new IP, while thinking about new ways to make Gears better. Which is a high bar, because I think Gears is just fine.
  • Gears (no numbered release).
Sony will need to start a storefront from scratch
Epic store.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
It's more difficult for Sony to expand outside consoles because they have no relevance in Cloud or PC. Sony will need to start a storefront from scratch and will need to port their tools, engines, APIs etc to PC. Microsoft doesn't have this problem because Windows and Xbox use the exact same APIs and they unified their development across consoles, PC and Cloud with the new Xbox GDK.
No doubt. But ultimately I feel that Microsoft's vision of "anywhere you go, your content stays with you" is the right one, even if the implementation is wonky at the moment. Sony will have to adapt at some point and expand Playstation beyond their home consoles.

Agreed.
Not really, as long as they are being sold on Steam, that's where the money is in the PC space. Even though they give Steam a 30% cut, they will certainly make way more money through Steam than the Windows store.
The point is they should have a store/client in place where once you subscribe to game pass, you'd want to continue using for non-game pass titles as well. That way, not only they wouldn't need to share revenue with Valve, but they'd be getting themselves a 30% cut from third party games.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
No doubt. But ultimately I feel that Microsoft's vision of "anywhere you go, your content stays with you" is the right one, even if the implementation is wonky at the moment. Sony will have to adapt at some point and expand Playstation beyond their home consoles.

Agreed.

The point is they should have a store/client in place where once you subscribe to game pass, you'd want to continue using for non-game pass titles as well. That way, not only they wouldn't need to share revenue with Valve, but they'd be getting themselves a 30% cut from third party games.

True, that would be good for them.

However, Epic has shown that even with throwing free games at people they haven't made a dent on Steam, it has too much inertia in the PC space.

Unless the MS gaming store stops using the Windows store as its infrastructure then i think it will always have issues. If Windows creates a new, better storefront then maybe there is hope.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
True, that would be good for them.

However, Epic has shown that even with throwing free games at people they haven't made a dent on Steam, it has too much inertia in the PC space.

Unless the MS gaming store stops using the Windows store as its infrastructure then i think it will always have issues. If Windows creates a new, better storefront then maybe there is hope.
The Epic and Discord store (already shutdown) show how difficult it is to be competitive in a market with someone dominating to no end. Discord didn't have any exclusives iirc and it shut down months later, while Epic is hanging in there with their aggressive strategy. You know it kinda shows how difficult it was for Xbox to enter the market and it goes to show why under Nadella/Spencer, they are so ruthless and aggressive in order to compete more (again).

I don't think Microsoft will try to be aggressive with the Windows store, though. They don't have as much to loose as they have with loosing console consumers, because there is no Gold on Windows store and even if you are a steam users, you can easily open the GP app and subscribe there. I guess that's fine for Microsoft.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020

I've read that this all a legacy issue from the bad old days when xbox was part of the Windows division and were forced to put the games there. I'm not sure if there's something that stops them from moving everything over to a new game only store but it's definitely something they should do if they can

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is they app is still connected to much to windows. They should make a seperate launcher. Maybe they can take over the Bethesda launcher. :p

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
  • Work on new IP, while thinking about new ways to make Gears better. Which is a high bar, because I think Gears is just fine.
This is exactly what I want as well. I don't want them to attempt to reinvent the wheel gear until they're done with the current story arc.

I feel like 343 made a mistake by not making Halo 6 before Infinite, but I'm probably in the minority on this one. Feels bad to be left hanging from Halo 5's cliffhanger ending for five, now six, years. A direct sequel could have been made in a shorter amount of time while benefited from their learnings from Halo 4 and 5. Although I understand that they probably had a lot of pressure on them to deliver a blockbuster reinvention of Halo for the Series X|S launch.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018

What happened with Hardsuit Labs - Vampire Bloodlines 2 - Paradox screams management/development problems for me. I don't think it has anything to do with Microsoft.

I still believe Techland/Dying Light 2 is the studio/game that was referred in that rumor.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
One aspect of the Zenimax deal that really hype me up is that both Microsoft and Bethesda / Zenimax are totally pro mods on console. Can't wait to see what the community will create with Starfield.

What happened with Hardsuit Labs - Vampire Bloodlines 2 - Paradox screams management/development problems for me. I don't think it has anything to do with Microsoft.

I still believe Techland/Dying Light 2 is the studio/game that was referred in that rumor.

Absolutely. My hype for the game died when they fired Brian Mitsoda and Martin Ka'ai.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Why couldn't it be shown this year? Do you know this?

I feel like at some point, if Microsoft is happy with revealing games early, they should also try to show gameplay earlier. Everwild has been announced since late 2019, we got another trailer and we still don't know anything about the game.

I get that things can't usually be shown before it's locked and really polished (like what happened with Halo), but then why are some studios like Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog able to reveal lengthy polished gameplay demos two to three years before the games release? Why couldn't some Xbox studios pull that off too?

I think it'll be shown this year and is targeted as a 2022 release.

Gameplay demos two and three years in advance are typically some sort of veetical slice that takes a lot of effort from the development team to put together and don't always end up representative of the actual game. Once the MS train gets rolling, they shouldn't need to show games that early. They have enough teams and games in the pipeline that you don't need to talk about games 3 years out.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Paris and Danny have both been saying that it makes sense for Bethesda games to be exclusive. So I'm curious as to what they know. Looks like Danny was taking shots at Andrea. Can't stand her really.

They likely don't know anything and are just speculating, which is completely fine. Danny isn't taking any shots, they have a friendly bet going on about Starfield.

mrbobman15

Jan 21, 2019

Gears 5 campaign feels pretty different to be honest. Having Jack changes the gameplay up a lot, the mini optional bosses and areas make a big difference in freshing things up.

I'm 100% okay with the Gears 5 gameplay loop. Felt different enough from 4 and 1 ultimate edition.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Gears 5 campaign feels pretty different to be honest. Having Jack changes the gameplay up a lot, the mini optional bosses and areas make a big difference in freshing things up.

I'm 100% okay with the Gears 5 gameplay loop. Felt different enough from 4 and 1 ultimate edition.
Agreed. Jack was such a nice addition, really added a fun extra layer to combat.

I wish there had been five proper acts though. Maybe something more linear in between acts 2 and 3. I was quite confused when it ended after four acts.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
They likely don't know anything and are just speculating, which is completely fine. Danny isn't taking any shots, they have a friendly bet going on about Starfield.

Why bring up an old tweet? Why'd Paris randomly tweet a picture of Starfield? People have been speculating for months haven't they.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
My preferred Coalition schedule would be...

I'd like to see that as well, but while doing the new IP after Gears 6, it would be great to get another Gears Tactics, if they can find somebody to do as good a job as Splash Damage. That way the franchise wouldn't disappear completely, while The Coalition took their time doing first a new franchise and then the next Gears, which could take 5-8 years.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coalition can finish the new Gears trilogy story and still make some big changes in the gameplay.... and by changes I don't mean more terrible tacked on open world sections

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really been following this flurry of Bethesda/Starfield activity that's kicking off.

Do we feel like it's just social media folk jumping on the bandwagon and flexing like they know something that they don't (just in case) or is it a 'no smoke without fire' situation? Anyone credible come out and said anything about what's going on?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I haven't really been following this flurry of Bethesda/Starfield activity that's kicking off.

Do we feel like it's just social media folk jumping on the bandwagon and flexing like they know something that they don't (just in case) or is it a 'no smoke without fire' situation? Anyone credible come out and said anything about what's going on?
It's hard to tell. I think Jeff Grubb started it, and then some influencers followed it. ESO is now saying he "can confirm" this from his own sources. I don't know what to think.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

I think it's combination of the Deal closing soon, a lack of game news, and fans looking or something big to plug up Xbox's 2021 exclusives list with. Something is certainly happening soon regarding Bethesda, but we're unclear on the scope of just what right now.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
My preferred Coalition schedule would be...
Yup, this is my ideal scenario. Some people want TC to do a new IP to get away from Gears but for me, putting some scarcity in the IP makes Gears more valuable. Xbox has so much on the horizon that Halo / Forza / Gears don't need to be the tent poles they once were. A new IP from TC might attract more people to Gears in a roundabout way, realizing they might have been too quick to judge a super talented studio putting out "just another Gears".

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The xbox pc app isn't much better.
Xbox app is tolerable. Windows Store underpinnings behind it are shit.

I will take Bethesda launcher any time since if that malfunctions it won't make you reinstall Windows. And it doesn't have that weird encryption crap. And it doesn't hide failed installs/uninstalls so you lose disk space.

Mind you, Bethesda launcher is still pretty bad, but compared to MS PC platform, anything is better. And I do have GamePass Ultimate sub to boot :).

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get a price drop on the 1 TB expansion or some quality 3rd party offerings soon. I've been over 95% and forced to delete things since a week after launch. And at this point I'm far too spoiled by Quick Resume to use a USB solution.

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
YOt8s2T.gif

indeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.