• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can surmise from the fact that it currently doesn't have an actual date that they missed it by quite a bit.

C'mon, you don't think Phil was pissed? Who do you think decided to bring in Staten in the first place?
Any delay beyond holiday 2020 basically guaranteed a holiday 2021 release date regardless of if the game was complete in March, June or September.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks, I corrected it a bit, apparently Arkane, id Software and Mojang are already working on unannounced projects.

We have a very long list of games, I would like to know Klobrille opinion about the list. Are we missing something?
Looks good! But GaaS/on-going projects the studios are working on are missing. These require a lot of resources as Xbox has quite a few of these games (and they are important for Game Pass to really work).

EugdH4UXMAELFMe

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
C'mon, you don't think Phil was pissed? Who do you think decided to bring in Staten in the first place?
Just look at the Animal Crossing interview, Phil took the L and knew that the delay was the right thing to do, he still trusts in 343, even with Staten in, most of the game is done, it was simply not enough to launch last year, having a similar story to Sea of Thieves for a new Halo in 5 years on the launch of the new Xbox would be a disaster and Phil knows this more than anyone.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea, but we do know it's highly likely MS old style management would've ignored fans complaints and released the game at Series X|S launch. New style MS management understood the Series X|S was highly likely to be in high demand with short supply for the first year so that a delay wouldn't negatively affect it and could also help maximize the optimizations and polish for the game on PC, Xbox One S|X, and Series X|S in what will likely be the Halo game with the highest engagement ever. Plus it will help contribute in brining prestige to the XGS brand as they continue towards their goal of being on the level or perhaps surpassing Playstation Studios. However if there is some management issues within 343i that need to be sorted out to maximize efficiency then I'm sure that's something they will look to sort out and fix, if it hasn't been already.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nope. I think Chris was though, and probably thought of it a failure on his behalf, so decided to step back. Which lead to Staten coming off the bench.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the updated list of games that we can with certainty say are in development, announced (maybe not officially) and not announced by XGS/Zenimax, right ?:
  1. 343 Industries: Halo Infinite
  2. Compulsion Games: Unannounced game
  3. Double Fine Productions: Psychonauts 2 and Unannounced game
  4. inXile Entertainment: Unannounced game
  5. Mojang Studios: 2 Unannounced games
  6. Ninja Theory: Hellblade II and Project: Mara
  7. Obsidian Entertainment: TOW Murder on Eridanos [DLC], Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, Sawyer's project and Brandon Adler Project
  8. Playground Games: Forza Horizon 5 and Fable
  9. Rare: Everwild
  10. The Coalition: Gears 6
  11. The Initiative: Perfect Dark
  12. Turn 10 Studios: Forza Motorsport 8
  13. Undead Labs: State of Decay 3
  14. World's Edge: Age of Empires IV
  15. Xbox Game Studios Publishing: As Dusk Falls(Interior Night), CrossfireX (Smilegate/Remedy) and an Unannounced game
  16. Bethesda Game Studios: Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI
  17. id Software: Doom The Old Gods part II [DLC] and Unnanounced game
  18. ZeniMax Online Studios: Unannounced game
  19. Arkane: Deathloop and Unannounced game
  20. MachineGames: Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein 3
  21. Tango Gameworks: Ghostwire: Tokyo
  22. Alpha Dog: ???
  23. Roundhouse Studios: Unannounced game
Announced games: 22
Unannounced projects: 12
DLC: 2

This is what you're missing:
Ninja Theory : The Insight Project
Zenimax Online: Continuing expansions for ESO
InXile: I've heard in this thread that they have 2 projects (though one is much farther out than the other), though this is the only place I've ever read that
Rare: Continuing expansions for Sea of Thieves (apparently, the Sea of Thieves team is now larger than it has ever been at any point in its development, meaning this is a pretty significant group of people)

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
No idea, but we do know it's highly likely MS old style management would've ignored fans complaints and released the game at Series X|S launch. New style MS management understood the Series X|S was highly likely to be in high demand with short supply for the first year so that a delay wouldn't negatively affect it and could also help maximize the optimizations and polish for the game on PC, Xbox One S|X, and Series X|S in what will likely be the Halo game with the highest engagement ever. Plus it will help contribute in brining prestige to the XGS brand as they continue towards their goal of being on the level or perhaps surpassing Playstation Studios. However if there is some management issues within 343i that need to be sorted out to maximize efficiency then I'm sure that's something they will look to sort out and fix, if it hasn't been already.

I definitely don't think Phil would mandate releasing an undercooked game, especially with one with as much of a pedigree as this, but I find it hard to believe that he wasn't upset at the fact that they missed launch. Especially after that showcase demo. (which I didn't hate)

Any delay beyond holiday 2020 basically guaranteed a holiday 2021 release date regardless of if the game was complete in March, June or September.

That's not always true, look at something like Deathloop - announced as a launch title, but only pushed back to Q2. MS couldn't even provide us with a fiscal quarter they were targeting with this delay. I mean we can assume Q4 at this point, but still.

I get that the scale of each game is different, but if Infinite were in fighting shape by Q2 or Q3 you'd have to assume they would release it considering how slim their slate is this year as it stands.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I definitely don't think Phil would mandate releasing an undercooked game, especially with one with as much of a pedigree as this, but I find it hard to believe that he wasn't upset at the fact that they missed launch. Especially after that showcase demo. (which I didn't hate)

That's not always true, look at something like Deathloop - announced as a launch title, but only pushed back to Q2. MS couldn't even provide us with a fiscal quarter they were targeting with this delay. I mean we can assume Q4 at this point, but still.

I get that the scale of each game is different, but if Infinite were in fighting shape by Q2 or Q3 you'd have to assume they would release it considering how slim their slate is this year as it stands.
As much as I would have loved for Halo to release in the Spring, it really makes no sense to release it before Holiday 2021 after missing launch. No one can even buy a Series X.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
As much as I would have loved for Halo to release in the Spring, it really makes no sense to release it before Holiday 2021 after missing launch. No one can even buy a Series X.

Yeah, the scarcity of the hardware strangely did them a big favor in that regard. While I'm sure they would prefer to be able to sell more consoles, it bought them plenty of time.

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
I think Infinite definitely could have been out by Q2 2021. However, due to the perception of the game with the underwhelming demo last July, I think the aim is to produce a very polished and impressive vertical slice for this summer's digital event which shows the game in the best light possible. However, producing game demos is a massive tax on resources and development time, so the fall 2021 date seems logical to try and minimise crunch/bugs at launch.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Maybe they thought that since a delay was needed anyways, might as well line release up with the 20th anniversary of Xbox/Halo.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
My response to The Coalition helping 343.

GOOD

Thats one of the benefits of being acquired. Sharing resources/talent and having sister companies that can help you in areas you are struggling in and it be no issue at all. More of Microsoft 1st party should do this actually

Sony does this a good amount already. Pretty sure I read that ND helped SSMS with the AI of Atreus.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think Infinite definitely could have been out by Q2 2021. However, due to the perception of the game with the underwhelming demo last July, I think the aim is to produce a very polished and impressive vertical slice for this summer's digital event which shows the game in the best light possible. However, producing game demos is a massive tax on resources and development time, so the fall 2021 date seems logical to try and minimise crunch/bugs at launch.

Honestly, MS not relying on the game to sell consoles probably plays a huge part. Xbox Series X|S are both sold out and slowly becoming available in spurts but the overall inventory situation isn't expected to improve for quite a while.

Given the initial reception not being great, Halo CE's 20 year anniversary in November, and the lack of console inventory, 343i/Xbox leadership likely looked at it as an opportunity to really polish the hell out of the game vs trying to rush it out a few months after the initially planned release date.

tinyrakan

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the updated list of games that we can with certainty say are in development, announced (maybe not officially) and not announced by XGS/Zenimax, right ?:
  1. 343 Industries: Halo Infinite
  2. Compulsion Games: Unannounced game
  3. Double Fine Productions: Psychonauts 2 and Unannounced game
  4. inXile Entertainment: Unannounced game
  5. Mojang Studios: 2 Unannounced games
  6. Ninja Theory: Hellblade II and Project: Mara
  7. Obsidian Entertainment: TOW Murder on Eridanos [DLC], Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, Sawyer's project and Brandon Adler Project
  8. Playground Games: Forza Horizon 5 and Fable
  9. Rare: Everwild
  10. The Coalition: Gears 6
  11. The Initiative: Perfect Dark
  12. Turn 10 Studios: Forza Motorsport 8
  13. Undead Labs: State of Decay 3
  14. World's Edge: Age of Empires IV
  15. Xbox Game Studios Publishing: As Dusk Falls(Interior Night), CrossfireX (Smilegate/Remedy) and an Unannounced game
  16. Bethesda Game Studios: Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI
  17. id Software: Doom The Old Gods part II [DLC] and Unnanounced game
  18. ZeniMax Online Studios: Unannounced game
  19. Arkane: Deathloop and Unannounced game
  20. MachineGames: Indiana Jones and Wolfenstein 3
  21. Tango Gameworks: Ghostwire: Tokyo
  22. Alpha Dog: ???
  23. Roundhouse Studios: Unannounced game
Announced games: 22
Unannounced projects: 12
DLC: 2
Grounded by obsidian

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My response to The Coalition helping 343.

GOOD

Thats one of the benefits of being acquired. Sharing resources/talent and having sister companies that can help you in areas you are struggling in and it be no issue at all. More of Microsoft 1st party should do this actually

Sony does this a good amount already. Pretty sure I read that ND helped SSMS with the AI of Atreus.
Tbh, I hope more MS studios share things around. The Coalition is one of MS's best tech-focused teams, so who would not want them around? Hopefully they can spare some for Mikami's next project.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
The optics are terrible though.
Game devs move between companies all the time. And judging by his past comments, he just wanted less stress and responsibility. Maybe wanted to work with old friends. Maybe wanted a more hands on/creative role instead of a management role. Or all of the above.

Not everything has to be Sony vs. Microsoft. This is 1 person.

Jul 10, 2020
Game devs move between companies all the time. And judging by his past comments, he just wanted less stress and responsibility. Maybe wanted to work with old friends. Maybe wanted a more hands on/creative role instead of a management role. Or all of the above.

Not everything has to be Sony vs. Microsoft. This is 1 person.

Oh for sure. I agree.

Super happy for him that he's found happiness and peace in a trying time.

But looking at his comments, they "usual" suspects are already being tagged.

Not that any of it matters.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Have you seen this supposed leak?
I think it's quite plausible.

If true, I find really interesting the use of ForzaTech by other studios.

and this comment: (being referred to Compulsion Games)

I like his comment about TC and the new IP. But I won't get my hopes up, because it's a random guy on reddit.
There are so many ip they could bring back before another crackdown.
I am ok with everything, if that means Crackdown stays away, unless they have a very good idea for the franchise.
I wonder when we boot up Halo Infinite, how many studio logos are we going to see? How long will be the credits? Ubisoft levels? 🤣
That's the intro

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018

Or a complete do over with the budget and time the game deserves. The gameplay was interesting and I liked the story, so it's a shame to me the game got neither of those since the final product felt pretty rushed and had a lot of graphical and gameplay jank to go along with it. Plus the story sequel baited hard at the very end.

Zg9

Jan 18, 2020
Xbox could give their studios all the freedom they want, that's cool, but imo Xbox doesn't take care enough of their "key people"(maybe just a few).
It's not Drew Murray's fault, it would be Matt Booty's fault for not offering something less stressful for him to stay at XGS. Good for him, you choose the best for yourself and your family. Sorry it's just my opinion

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Happy for Drew. Regardless, people should be where they want to be. As long as this doesn't come alongside some shade about TI, then I don't have an issue with any of this. Starting a new studio with a new project is going to be super stressful. His new role does a lot of those same things - but without a lot of the HR and management functions (which are usually the hardest and most stressful parts of leadership roles). But even if he just wanted to work with old friends or just prefers the PS5, that's fine too XD

Don't do this to yourself. I've seen some of the strongest minds and wills in history go mad searching for that which cannot be; Blinx the Time-Sweeper 3.
Banjo's been kept alive by sequels, remasters of the original games, Game Pass releases, Rare Replay, Smash Bros etc. And just weight of Nintendo 90s nostalgia.

Blinx is dead. Was dead six months after release.
What if Blinx 3 is the story of Blinx going back in time to salvage his games and reputation, so that a Blinx 3 can be made. And then midway through the game, you jump into a real world/cartoon hybrid world, wherein you have to go through unfinished levels and concept art and tech demos and clean up all the bugs. And then at the end, Conker shows up to help Blinx, and then we're introduced to a new series of short games where old mascots and IPs are saved from obscurity.

Yea.

I don't even know how he looks or what games he was in and I'd say I am a pretty big Xbox, PS and Nintendo fan :D
:(

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox could give their studios all the freedom they want, that's cool, but imo Xbox doesn't take care enough of their "key people"(maybe just a few).
It's not Drew Murray's fault, it would be Matt Booty's fault for not offering something less stressful for him to stay at XGS. Good for him, you choose the best for yourself and your family. Sorry it's just my opinion
This is common in the video games industry, though. People come and go. More people will leve The Initiative, but it won't necessarily mean anything. And in Murray's case, it sounds like he had a good reason for stepping down.

Once studios get old enough, they're practically new studios because of the amount of people leaving over time (like Naughty Dog and Rare). It's basically the ship of theseus in game dev form.

Edit: And I really doubt this was up to Matt Booty. His role isn't supposed to be that hands on. If I had to take a guess, I would think this had more to do with the other designer positions at TI being filled at the same time as a designer position opened up at Insomniac.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Is there anyone/where to get instructions/tutorials on using the Xbox Adaptive Controller? A friend got one for her rehab program and is not super familiar with games in general so...anything could help ha.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If I thought Control wasn't that good from a gameplay perspective, but loved the world they created...is QB worth playing?

I think Quantum Break is the opposite of what you want then. It was very similar gameplay to Control but it's world (imo) isn't as interesting.

It's still cool and it goes to some cool places but it doesn't quite have the crazy weirdness of the oldest house.

For anyone that likes the combat/gameplay of Control though, I'd recommend giving it a play. It's definitely the origins of Control at the very least.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

What???
Thats a lot of assumptions without any evidence.
You have no idea what was offered to Drew at all from XGS, or what led him to the role he is in now, Please stop with the Matt Booty or anyone else blame game.
A move can be just a move.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I think Quantum Break is the opposite of what you want then. It was very similar gameplay to Control but it's world (imo) isn't as interesting.

It's still cool and it goes to some cool places but it doesn't quite have the crazy weirdness of the oldest house.

For anyone that likes the combat/gameplay of Control though, I'd recommend giving it a play. It's definitely the origins of Control at the very least.
What I figured. Maybe one day when I'm bored enough.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I wanna give it a shot but it's like 100 gb lol. Fade me.

Status
Not open for further replies.