• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
How much notice does Microsoft usually give when a game is leaving Game Pass? I haven't been in a situation yet where I was unable to complete a game before it left, but that would be frustrating.
Usually a couple weeks. Wish they were a little more transparent about it, but it's because of contracts. What can ya do.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Usually a couple weeks. Wish they were a little more transparent about it, but it's because of contracts. What can ya do.
Okay thanks. Given my gaming time I probably would struggle to finish most games in a couple of weeks. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I guess the good thing is they offer a discount on Game Pass titles to purchase, right? I could always just buy the game outright if I wanted to finish it.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I was tempted when I saw the half price sale for Control last week, but I thought I should be a little more patient, with Cyberpunk coming pretty quick, I wasn't playing it right away, anyway.

Was doing the same with Borderlands 3, seeing as the rest of the series has been on the service, but $10 CDN for a physical copy was a no-brainer.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

Why are you ignoring people that answered this to you?

There is no need for this. 99%+ of games stay for a year, with lots staying longer. The ones that stay for only 3-4 months are extremely rare, like Rockstar games.
I'd have to imagine that would be tough to do since some games seemingly re-up their Game Pass inclusion even once they've hit the "Leaving Soon" section.
I think GTAV and RDR2 are the only games that have only stayed for 3 months and I'm sure both of those highlighted that date when they announced it.

As you said, the majority of games stay for a year+. We've heard of devs signing on for longer after seeing success with Game Pass too so highlighting an end date a year early seems a bit counter-intuitive. Feels like a lot of games just keep re-upping their deals.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How much notice does Microsoft usually give when a game is leaving Game Pass? I haven't been in a situation yet where I was unable to complete a game before it left, but that would be frustrating.
Usually a couple weeks to a couple months depending on the game. You'll know ahead of time. And usually when a game is leaving the service is when they'll throw on the actual good Game Pass Discounts for if you want to purchase it for your library.

Last edited:

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeap we need the time the game will stay on the service. Games are not movies. Dragon quest you need 80-100 hours to complete so I hope it stays at least 6 months.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeap we need the time the game will stay on the service. Games are not movies. Dragon quest you need 80-100 hours to complete so I hope it stays at least 6 months.

Would be very surprised if it was less than six months. I can count on one hand the amount of games that have been <6 months. I mentioned GTAV and RDR2 earlier because they were the only two I could remember.

The vast majority of games are there for a year+, so much so that its just expected now.

And if you've fallen in love with it you can get that Game Pass discount if you buy it before it leaves.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So we getting all those Final Fantasy games that were promised in 2019 or what

Seriously I know several people who subbed for those games and they still ain't here yet

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
So we getting all those Final Fantasy games that were promised in 2019 or what

Seriously I know several people who subbed for those games and they still ain't here yet

The ones they said would start dropping from 2020 onwards instead of all in 2020? Yeah we got some and will probably keep getting them next year

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The ones they said would start dropping from 2020 onwards instead of all in 2020? Yeah we got some and will probably keep getting them next year
Oh? Gotcha. I thought they were all originally supposed to be released in 2020. Still bummed by what we actually got in 2020 but w/e. I mainly wanted FFXII and have settled for playing the PS4 version again with the new improvements

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I am happy for everyone if it is Control, but if not the ultimate edition I am going to be super bummed I didn't just buy it at 19.99 because I want the next gen upgrades and already played/finished/enjoyed very much the base game. Hopefully that version goes on sale again for the inevitable game awards or whatever.

DQ11 sounds great, just no time to play it, and Doom Eternal I really didn't care for on console, but will give another try on PC.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Oh? Gotcha. I thought they were all originally supposed to be released in 2020. Still bummed by what we actually got in 2020 but w/e. I mainly wanted FFXII and have settled for playing the PS4 version again with the new improvements

Yeah I thought we were getting them all in 2020 but supposedly they were just supposed to start dropping in 2020. We just got 8 a couple weeks ago so I'm thinking it'll probably be some months before we get another. I'm hoping that with X and XIII, they'll just release all the expansions/sequels all at once.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the sale-price for Ultimate Edition was $20 (less than the Expansion Pass alone), this is good news.

I do wonder if/how they would have only the base game, but still include the impending Series X/S upgrade. If they put Ultimate Edition on Game Pass, that would be both good news and also the biggest pile of horseshit considering the ride they've put early adopters on for the next-gen patch.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the sale-price for Ultimate Edition was $20 (less than the Expansion Pass alone), this is good news.

I do wonder if/how they would have only the base game, but still include the impending Series X/S upgrade. If they put Ultimate Edition on Game Pass, that would be both good news and also the biggest pile of horseshit considering the ride they've put early adopters on for the next-gen patch.
Yeah I am very seriously considering just going ahead and paying for the ultimate edition - $19.99 is a perfectly reasonable price for two expansions I want to play and I want the next gen enhancements (or might as well play on PC, right?).

Everyone keeps saying its just the vanilla version coming to gamepass, and since they are still screwing over season pass buyers, might be the only way?

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Usually a couple weeks to a couple months depending on the game. You'll now ahead of time. And usually when a game is leaving the service is when they'll throw on the actual good Game Pass Discounts for if you want to purchase it for your library.
Games come back too. Rage 2 was on it before, and now it's coming back. Great for me, I've been wanting to finish it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"See you at the Game Awards friends!"

news.xbox.com

Coming Soon to Xbox Game Pass: Control, Doom Eternal, Holiday Offer, and More - Xbox Wire

A lot of you are new to Xbox Game Pass right now (hi everyone!) and to those of you lurking here to check out what games will be coming soon – hi to you too! We have a big list of games coming at you, and to sweeten the deal for those that haven’t tried […]

Cross-posting because it seems relevant.