• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
as dusk falls is bad. I put down my controller and didn't even try a quick time because the character was trying to do something I didn't want them to do. It gave me like 5 chances to fail and then the character succeeded anyways

Very heavy-handed, poorly written, poorly acted, and yes it looks bad. Some truly atrocious dialogue. It was fun to hate watch/play with SO just long enough to begrudgingly see it through but that's the highest props I can give it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
as dusk falls is bad. I put down my controller and didn't even try a quick time because the character was trying to do something I didn't want them to do. It gave me like 5 chances to fail and then the character succeeded anyways

Very heavy-handed, poorly written, poorly acted, and yes it looks bad. Some truly atrocious dialogue. It was fun to hate watch/play with SO just long enough to begrudgingly see it through but that's the highest props I can give it.
Though crowd

Naru

May 11, 2019
Assuming you're still early, without many of the ship skills or other powers? Aiming is not necessarily the most important thing going forward, between those and weapon mods. If you haven't gotten leap yet, for example, I'd say maybe wait until you've played for a bit with that first. Many of us quite enjoyed the combat in that game once you got used to some of its quirks (like getting used to how boost or drift behave in open combat or when to leap)
Hmm, ok. I'll continue playing but it was so annoying when you try to aim at a enemy ship and even the smallest adjustments make the crosshair jump. The sensitivity settings didn't change much either.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think there's every reason to wait and space out your games. The impact of Bethesda drop was kind of blunted by the sheer overwhelming force of the moment. It was cool, but it wasn't long-lasting. And it probably led to a lot of games just not getting played. Imagine instead if they had done a decent drop, including all their really old id games, ESO, Skyrim, Fallout 4 at first - big attention yay yay. And then dropped 2-3 Arkane, Machine, Tango, etc games each month (like one every period). You'd know you could look forward to more Bethesda games soon, but you had time to play what was out in this 2 week period. Plus, by the time you finished all of that, you'd have plenty of time for the Doom Eternal deals to finish and that could just go smoothly into the catalog too.

I think that makes the most sense for ActiBlizz, especially considering there may in fact be many marketing deals in place that prevent Game Pass in various ways. Remember, Activision games have NEVER been on Game Pass. To even get a few at a time would be sufficient to make a splash - and could be a sustained news item for many months [and consistent subscribers that are looking forward to the next drop are always the best type of subscriber].

Yeah you've explained the reasoning a little better than I did, but I think it makes sense to space them out

For more casual players as well, dumping tons of games into the "recently added" section will just mean people miss stuff they would otherwise enjoy

It also means they can bulk up the "new games added this month" cards for 6 months / a year, which will help when they have the odd underwhelming month of additions

If they added one CoD a month for a year, maybe that would boost the MP for that game for a month while everyone revisits it. If you dump 10 CoD games at once that probably won't happen

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you've explained the reasoning a little better than I did, but I think it makes sense to space them out

For more casual players as well, dumping tons of games into the "recently added" section will just mean people miss stuff they would otherwise enjoy

It also means they can bulk up the "new games added this month" cards for 6 months / a year, which will help when they have the odd underwhelming month of additions

If they added one CoD a month for a year, maybe that would boost the MP for that game for a month while everyone revisits it. If you dump 10 CoD games at once that probably won't happen
And everyone is just going to complain that they are artificially have to wait 5 months to play their favorite CoD campaign. And use it as a complain that every new Gamepass drop has dropped in quality cause they are just relying on a new Activision drop. It's only going to create negative discourse, be it warranted or not.

At the end of the day the selling point of any streaming service is perceived value. Scrolling through endless lists of content and being dumbstruck by the amount of choice is often times more valuable than having fantastic but less content. Getting one cool game a month (ignoring regular additions for a moment here) isn't as exciting as having the option of jumping into everything all at once.

Not to mention the headlines a massive Activision drop will create. That alone will generate so much value for Gamepass. Even the most casual of casual player will be aware that they can play all their favorite CoD game for free* on Gamepass.

On paper I understand your point. But the biggest splash will generate the most value compared to dripping feeding it.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And everyone is just going to complain that they are artificially have to wait 5 months to play their favorite CoD campaign. And use it as a complain that every new Gamepass drop has dropped in quality cause they are just relying on a new Activision drop. It's only going to create negative discourse, be it warranted or not.

At the end of the day the selling point of any streaming service is perceived value. Scrolling through endless lists of content and being dumbstruck by the amount of choice is often times more valuable than having fantastic but less content. Getting one cool game a month (ignoring regular additions for a moment here) isn't as exciting as having the option of jumping into everything all at once.

Not to mention the headlines a massive Activision drop will create. That alone will generate so much value for Gamepass. Even the most casual of casual player will be aware that they can play all their favorite CoD game for free* on Gamepass.

On paper I understand your point. But the biggest splash will generate the most value compared to dripping feeding it.

I think there are pros and cons to both approaches, so we'll have to see what they decide to go with

They want people to stay subbed, so dumping it all, letting people sub for 3 months for $1 to play the 4 games they want, and then bail, is less ideal than using the pipeline of new games always being added to entice people to stay subbed

They will likely need to do some later anyway due to marketing deals etc

To me there seems to be more value in doing it in batches to shine more light on all the games they are adding, and to give people time to play stuff, and to take some of the pressure of their teams that are always out trying to make deals to get more 3rd party stuff added to GP

The value is in the constant and consistent high quality additions. If people feel like they have played all they want and they get a few months of what they deem poor additions, they'll unsub

The great thing about a handful of games being added each month is there is more chance one of those will generate buzz, and that entices more people to give it a go, just look at Powerwash Simulator. Would that have gained as much traction and buzz if it was one game added along with 50 others?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Yea, this is entirely possible - or rather, will certainly be true for certain people and certain communities. But there's nothing inherently better about getting them all at once vs in batches. I just think the thing with hype is that the amplitude of the wave is, generally speaking, far less important than the frequency because people have short memories and even shorter attention spans. You have to keep bringing them back month after month. I think a couple big games going into Game Pass is more than enough to get those positive headlines started.

The headlines on the day/week when Activision closes will not really be about Game Pass. They'll be about the biggest video game acquisition in history closing, what this means for Activision, what this means for Bobby Kotick, what Microsoft is going to do about Blizzard and the culture there, etc. Having a big Game Pass drop definitely has value and I don't think you'll find too many people who will say it's an objectively bad move. We just think there's merit in not letting a bunch of great games overshadow each other to the point where nothing really gets a boost at all.

If ABK closing and the promise of more games coming doesn't convince someone to join Game Pass, then maybe there are easier ppl to court haha. Besides, if people start getting bored with the drip feed? Then they can always just increase the pace! But the key is that Game Pass is always in the news. Activision is always in the news (in a positive way). (And remember, it's likely that COD won't be in for a while anyway because of Sony - which means the rollout is going to be staggered anyway)

And I'll just point to the Backwards Compatibility program here. They had a bunch of games ready on day 1, but they drip fed that program for years. People were excited to see the games they were waiting for come onto the service and those games, like COD, got big boosts when they did go on. And it was fun because everyone else was playing that same game or two too, rather than being spread out between 20 titles at once. Granted there was a technical reason to hold off on games there. But overall, while some people will use this as a reason to be negative, I think many if not most people will be plenty receptive to the idea of revisiting classic Activision, COD, Blizzard games as a Game pass community.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yea, this is entirely possible - or rather, will certainly be true for certain people and certain communities. But there's nothing inherently better about getting them all at once vs in batches. I just think the thing with hype is that the amplitude of the wave is, generally speaking, far less important than the frequency because people have short memories and even shorter attention spans. You have to keep bringing them back month after month. I think a couple big games going into Game Pass is more than sufficient to generate those positive headlines. And if people start getting bored with the drip feed? Then they can always just increase the pace! But the key is that Game Pass is always in the news. Activision is always in the news (in a generally positive way).

Plus, the headlines on the day/week when Activision closes will not really be about Game Pass. They'll be about the biggest video game acquisition in history closing, what this means for Activision, what this means for Bobby Kotick, what Microsoft is going to do about Blizzard and the culture there. Having a big Game Pass drop definitely has value and I don't think you'll find too many people who will say it's an objectively bad move. We just think there's merit in not letting a bunch of great games overshadow each other to the point where nothing really gets a boost at all.

And I'll just point to the Backwards Compatibility program here. They had a bunch of games ready on day 1, but they drip fed that program for years. People were excited to see the games they were waiting for come onto the service and those games, like COD, got big boosts when they did go on. And it was fun because everyone else was playing that same game or two too, rather than being spread out between 20 titles at once. Granted there was a technical reason to hold off on games there. But overall, while some people will use this as a reason to be negative, I think many if not most people will be plenty receptive to the idea of revisiting classic Activision, COD, Blizzard games as a Game pass community.

To follow up on this, imagine if MS just added all the games they have lined up for Aug to Dec to GamePass on 1st August, and then say the next additions will be on January 1st 2023

So we'll get like 30-40 games added next week, and then nothing until 2023

That would be a bummer right? Would anyone prefer this approach?

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Road 96 last night - great stuff. The way it weaves the various stories together without anything repeating and referencing previous things you've seen is very clever. Some nice variety in the little scenarios you encounter as well, and a great soundtrack. Highly recommended.

Not quite decided what to go for next - have had Recompiled and The Riftbreaker sitting installed for ages now without ever getting round to them. Anyone played those recently?

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Finished Road 96 last night - great stuff. The way it weaves the various stories together without anything repeating and referencing previous things you've seen is very clever. Some nice variety in the little scenarios you encounter as well, and a great soundtrack. Highly recommended.

Not quite decided what to go for next - have had Recompiled and The Riftbreaker sitting installed for ages now without ever getting round to them. Anyone played those recently?
I liked recompiled, despite some jumping making me angry ;) I hate 3D platforming.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I finished Dragonball Encyclopedia Dragonborn Apothetica Dodgeball Academia yesterday.
I played it straightforward without doing any side quests to be honest. It was fun, the dialogue was mostly great and I'd actually play a sequel because most of the characters are fun to interact with.
The core gameplay mechanic was good as well, especially during the last hours of the game.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017

I played Recompile recently. I liked my time with the game. I was not expecting something good after the different reviews and it was quite a nice surprise. Excellent visuals and concept, ok gameplay. I didn't finish the game though. But it's quite usual for me, I often stop once I have discover all I was looking for.

I took sometimes to play the leaving soon games. Especially dodgeball academia and Omno that I didn't played before.
Dodgeball academia was interesting, but I find it quicky repetitive.
Omno is way better than I expected. I was afraid that it would be a little too basic copy of journey. But I find the visuals and ambiance great, the puzzles are enjoyable (even often very easy), and the control of the character is way more interesting that I thought it would be. I'm note sure I'll finish it as I have not so much time for playing (even it's a short game)

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with Legion but I think I prefer Immortals, or even Valhalla or Odyssey. What is clear to me is that I'm not buying those games, but I wouldn't mind having them available for some time.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd be fine with Legion but I think I prefer Immortals, or even Valhalla or Odyssey. What is clear to me is that I'm not buying those games, but I wouldn't mind having them available for some time.

I think Immortals, Valhalla, FC6 and Legion are the only big games of theirs I'm interested in that I've not yet played, so I'd be happy with any of them tbh

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who owns both Immortals and Legion, let me tell ya: Immortals is a much better get.

Legion is a cool idea in theory, but mediocre in execution.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018

I *loved* Recompile. There are definitely some sequences in it that have very frustrating jumping (really just one specific level that requires some very careful navigation over a big pit) , but without going into spoilers, I think they're part of the reason I loved it so much in the end. It has one of my favorite last thirds of almost any game I've played and it's VERY worth pushing through the annoying level.

Just go through the red path first to get some much-needed firepower. The game gives you some freedom to do things in different orders, but that's not actually a good idea.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 > Legion.

In theory it was a great idea, but it's real bad in application. When you play as everyone, you are no one.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I liked recompiled, despite some jumping making me angry ;) I hate 3D platforming.

I played Recompile recently. I liked my time with the game. I was not expecting something good after the different reviews and it was quite a nice surprise. Excellent visuals and concept, ok gameplay. I didn't finish the game though. But it's quite usual for me, I often stop once I have discover all I was looking for.

I took sometimes to play the leaving soon games. Especially dodgeball academia and Omno that I didn't played before.
Dodgeball academia was interesting, but I find it quicky repetitive.
Omno is way better than I expected. I was afraid that it would be a little too basic copy of journey. But I find the visuals and ambiance great, the puzzles are enjoyable (even often very easy), and the control of the character is way more interesting that I thought it would be. I'm note sure I'll finish it as I have not so much time for playing (even it's a short game)

I *loved* Recompile. There are definitely some sequences in it that have very frustrating jumping (really just one specific level that requires some very careful navigation over a big pit) , but without going into spoilers, I think they're part of the reason I loved it so much in the end. It has one of my favorite last thirds of almost any game I've played and it's VERY worth pushing through the annoying level.

Just go through the red path first to get some much-needed firepower. The game gives you some freedom to do things in different orders, but that's not actually a good idea.

Cheers - sold on Recompile then thank you!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Cheers - sold on Recompile then thank you!

Well I was hyped for Recompile but when I tried it out more or less at launch I couldn't play a lot of it, it was bad. I played several stages but yeah... not good controls, doesn't look that good. Curious game though, just check it out and get a feel for yourself. I just felt there were much better things where to put my time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
news.xbox.com

New Games with Gold for August 2022 - Xbox Wire

It’s time to announce the August Games with Gold lineup! On the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, run a cat café in Calico, and slash your way through a roguelite platformer in ScourgeBringer. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, earn respect and take back your territory in Saint’s...

Scourge Bringer is the best Gold "free" game in recent memory

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
news.xbox.com

New Games with Gold for August 2022 - Xbox Wire

It’s time to announce the August Games with Gold lineup! On the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, run a cat café in Calico, and slash your way through a roguelite platformer in ScourgeBringer. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, earn respect and take back your territory in Saint’s...

Scourge Bringer is the best Gold "free" game in recent memory

Saint's Row 2 is right there.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Saint's Row 2 is right there.
SR2 is a duplicate - was GwG July 2020

maxresdefault.jpg

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well, I was gonna play SR2 anyway. Good, good.

I played as a cargo drone.
Hahaha true, true. I actually really enjoyed the aspect of putting my team together. It's the main part I DID like. I'd put rules on what sort of people I wanted, and so I could kind of grind through procgen NPCs to find them. The thing is that, of course, the actual activities of recruitment are hella boring. If that were as varied or even just not clearly repetitive and surface level (while still being hard..), Iono, maybe that would have been better.

I actually did feel like each character was distinct for me - particularly because I was scouting different people for different reasons. And I was playing on permadeath and very much kinda "got to know" (ha, not really) the squad after using them. But that treadmill ended anyway once I had maxed out my squad size, even with occasional losses.

What ACTUALLY made me abandon the game after many, many hours in it is just how freaking BS the physics and just the game's quirks can be at times. And that's a problem when you can lose people at a moment's notice permanently. Like when I'm in the process of escaping from a situation on a motorcycle, and then the game flashes up a huge screen covering UI graphic asking if I want to switch characters or something, which doesn't go away and leads me to crash headlong into a truck - and then leading that character to get swarmed by dozens of enemies and shot up on the ground. Yay. At the end, I did figure out you could quickly quit before you lost a person, but then it kinda took away the tension entirely and also lightly corrupted my save lol.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like successfully sneaking through a mission with a character that had no weapons.. To be forced into a combat chase and die.

This is what made me stop playing. There is zero indication that a mission will end with you REQUIRING a gun. And you're pretty much screwed if you chose a stealth character.

I can't believe they made such a blatant design mistake that any tester would have pointed out.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I am whelmed by the ending of As Dusk Falls. I just sat down thinking I had three more chapters to play but nope.
in book 1 and 2 is anything major reveleaed about what Vince's dad did in two risk the first time around? I kept waiting for it but didn't see it in my playthrough. It seems to imply that something would happen in book 3 though as he asks Zoe a cliffhanger question?

Oct 28, 2017
Thirsty Suitors just announced as a day one Game Pass game.

I wonder how many other Annapurna games will be announced for Game Pass during this showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.