• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
GPU is great but it's already just about what I'd consider acceptable for a monthly fee. If it goes up I'd only be happy to use tricks to get it cheaper

I do expect it will have to go up at some point though
I agree. Game Pass Ultimate for me has the "right price" as well. That said, I used the Xbox Live Gold stack trick.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree. Game Pass Ultimate for me has the "right price" as well. That said, I used the Xbox Live Gold stack trick.

Same, but I can see myself being fine with leaving it at £11.99 or whatever it is

Once it gets closer to £15 a month I'd probably only look to sub a few months a year to blitz first party stuff

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The good thing is that the first party stuff (outside of licence stuff like Forza) will be on the service forever, and the BC team could always make Series X games even better on X2 or whatever, so the first party stuff that sticks around forever will always be getting better and there will always be more of it

Sure, but I'm not really into many AAA, I am an indie guy, it is why I signed up for gamepass and ultimately I want to see them rewarded and paid well, which seems to be the case now and hopefully that continues.

But yes, regardless of what happens moving forward, the service will be great for the majority of people!

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure, but I'm not really into many AAA, I am an indie guy, it is why I signed up for gamepass and ultimately I want to see them rewarded and paid well, which seems to be the case now and hopefully that continues.

But yes, regardless of what happens moving forward, the service will be great for the majority of people!

Yeah I love AAA and indie and GPU has been great for discovering new indies, Tunic and Sable are two of my fave games from the last few years and I played them both on GP

I can't really comment on how that will work going forward, but hopefully it remains a good deal for devs and Xbox and we keep seeing great indies being added

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
So, I've experimented some games this weekend. I've dropped two of them and I'll continue one.

I am Fish
In my opinion, this is a good game that gets ruined by itself. To be fair, it is just a game that is not for me. I was enjoying most of the mechanics and scenarios. Rolling with an aquarium ball? All good. Jumping from one place to another? Good as well. Fish unique abilities? Amazing actually. Changing containers? The depends. 99% it is all good, but then you have that pickle jar. And that is where the game turns bad to me. I liked almost every part of the game, but whenever I had to deal with the pickle shaped jar, I wanted to quit. Seagulls are also an annoyance, but the pickle shaped jar is even worse. Oh, and there are sections where both are at play. Fantastic. So, basically I'm saying I dropped the game because I couldn't get pass by the bad time I was having with the pickle shaped jar. I've finished 5 levels and said that is it for me.

Recompile
That is actually a good game that just needs more polish, probably. I liked what I played. I was having fun playing it and it has nice concepts. The thing is that I felt the game needed to polish more their platforming, battle mechanics and information distribution. The last is kinda weird because at times I felt like I was receiving almost none information and at others I was receiving too much, and the too much was not that helpful. It is not that it was a bad game per see, but it was okay and didn't grab my attention to continue. So I dropped it.

Last Stop
This one is interesting. I didn't know it was a QTE game, and I'm liking it. Like, there are certain things I'm quite annoyed, like some choices not being exactly what they were saying or basically being the same thing as others. One time I had "Okay" and "Right" to pick, I selected "okay" and the character said "right". This is just a dumb example, but it happens often. That said, the story IS interesting and it got my attention. I finished the first chapter of all 3 stories and I want to see what happens next.

The jar in I am Fish was definitely the worst. In general everything felt too weighty and off.

I remember enjoying The Last Stop enough. The ending was a twist.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Same, but I can see myself being fine with leaving it at £11.99 or whatever it is

Once it gets closer to £15 a month I'd probably only look to sub a few months a year to blitz first party stuff
Yeah. Same here.

Same here. Game pass to me is all about indie games. AAA games are a second thought that might get a chance because I already subscribed to Game Pass.

The jar in I am Fish was definitely the worst. In general everything felt too weighty and off.

I remember enjoying The Last Stop enough. The ending was a twist.
Definitely. I like to think that I would be able to handle the game if it wasn't for the jar.

And I want to get back to The Last Stop. I couldn't yesterday, but I'm already on chapter 4. The story is only getting better. I think this is one game that would be incredible as a series, or at least a mini-series.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. I believe this is the issue that people are pointing out. Now it is probably amazing. Get in now and enjoy while it lasts. I believe it is very likely that they will increase prices for us and decrease what they give to most devs.

And I don't believe it has anything to do with Phil. It could still happens when he is in.

Edit: And tbh, this is not even something only related to subscriptions. This is a model to attract workers/clients first, and slowly measuring how much you can transfer the costs to them. Uber, Amazon, you name it. They all do this.

Good point about this being a wider problem with a lot of mordern tech companies.

I think Phil has a decent amount of sway, he is the one that has driven a lot of the more recent positive change and the promotion of bringing studios in house. He's still a business guy in the end but he at least seems to have some passion for the medium.

I can just easily see this whole service be passed off to more "sales" type people and they will instantly start questioning why they aren't squeezing more money out of the service, reducing payouts, reducing the variety of games available on the service. Closing the Gold to GPU conversion loophole.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good point about this being a wider problem with a lot of mordern tech companies.

I think Phil has a decent amount of sway, he is the one that has driven a lot of the more recent positive change and the promotion of bringing studios in house. He's still a business guy in the end but he at least seems to have some passion for the medium.

I can just easily see this whole service be passed off to more "sales" type people and they will instantly start questioning why they aren't squeezing more money out of the service, reducing payouts, reducing the variety of games available on the service. Closing the Gold to GPU conversion loophole.

I'd be surprised if GWG is still around in 2 years time

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
shame but understandable

FTnIPd9XwAE-6go

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Umurangi Generation. Everyone should play Umurangi Generation.

It's short (just a couple hours long not counting the DLC) and well worth the time. I don't want to say much as it's best to go in blind, just know that if the first stage doesn't grab you (it didn't for me), it likely will in stage 2 or 3.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Damn. I just finished The Last Stop. It has several shortcomings gameplay wise, but damn with it. I loved the story. I honestly want more from them.

Apr 24, 2018
I'm hoping that Souldiers turns out well....and also holding out hope that it's a surprise Day One title on Game Pass next month. Feeling in the mood for a stellar new Metroidvania!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping that Souldiers turns out well....and also holding out hope that it's a surprise Day One title on Game Pass next month. Feeling in the mood for a stellar new Metroidvania!

I thought you said Souldiers was a gamepass day 1 game for a second there... people need to rethink about how they post about random games here because the assumption is obviously going to be "oh that's on gamepass?" Lol

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for anyone who finished citizen sleeper, interested to compare notes on how other people finished it and what they made of it:-

I decided fairly early on that I was going to escape the eye and also help lem and mina (they seem setup.to be the default people you want to help). So I never built the abandoned room.
I had a fair amount of money early on so I paid full price to go to the Greenway and did a lot there. I didnt climb the tower until nearly at the end of the game, because I was wary of triggering any new timers and I wanted to get all the subquests done. Is the default path to do start area, tower, Greenway, tower?

There were little things like when I unlocked all the mushroom farming I couldn't get any hirolle caps for the chef because the game was giving me club caps to give to the shroom lady. Once I had done all of that quest them the game started giving me girolles as well as other stuff.
I also seemed to power through the game fairly easily? Once I had a couple of missions done I had the self repair via scrap perk which meant I could be constantly at max status and max dice. Did other people have more of a struggle with that? Later sub plots did things like give me 4 injections, or unlock the shrrom to injection trade...but I never needed an injection after like hour 2 of the game.

I had pushed through the Feng quest early so I got rid of my tracker with only a few ticks on the ominous count down timer. Thinking about it now I wonder if I picked the "easy" character as it was left most I'm the select screen.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
BF2042 sounds like a very probable waste of time/announcement slot at the showcase, but there will probably be many more, so it's ok. I'm hoping for several ones (the same as always, lol), like Nier, REmakes 2 and 3, Disco Elysium... etc. Maybe at least they give us FF Stranger in Paradise, which would entertain me for a little bit.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Citizen Sleeper is so good. OMG.

Saw this comment, went to look at it and I wasn't so sure at first, I'd played another dice game where you had to assign dice to actions on a space craft and didn't really enjoy it. But I decided to give this a try, thank you GamePass.

Citizen Sleeper, I played it in one evening, stayed up to about 1AM to finish it, just couldn't pause it, I had to keep playing. Fantastic game.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this comment, went to look at it and I wasn't so sure at first, I'd played another dice game where you had to assign dice to actions on a space craft and didn't really enjoy it. But I decided to give this a try, thank you GamePass.

Citizen Sleeper, I played it in one evening, stayed up to about 1AM to finish it, just couldn't pause it, I had to keep playing. Fantastic game.

Was the other game Tharsis? I think that game is more interesting than good.

Citizen Sleeper is something special. Perfect blend of narrative and game mechanics.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I keep reading praise about Citizen Sleeper but still don't know what it really is. Looking at a gameplay vid... is it like a mix of board game with visual novel (or, at least, a lot of text rather than visuals)? What makes it so good? Someone please explain, I don't know if I should be interested.

Mazre

Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading praise about Citizen Sleeper but still don't know what it really is. Looking at a gameplay vid... is it like a mix of board game with visual novel (or, at least, a lot of text rather than visuals)? What makes it so good? Someone please explain, I don't know if I should be interested.

Yeah it's basically a tabletop campaign for 1. You're a sentient facsimile of a human that's freshly escaped from corporate ownership and trying to eke out an existence on a derelict satellite outside the bounds 'civilization'.

Edit: As for what makes it good, the scenario and writing are both good, and despite what could've been a overly dark/down mood, is surprisingly hopeful and affirming. It really hit the spot for me, I devoured it in a handful of sittings.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's basically a tabletop campaign for 1. You're a sentient facsimile of a human that's freshly escaped from corporate ownership and trying to eke out an existence on a derelict satellite outside the bounds 'civilization'.

Edit: As for what makes it good, the scenario and writing are both good, and despite what could've been a overly dark/down mood, is surprisingly hopeful and affirming. It really hit the spot for me, I devoured it in a handful of sittings.

Thanks. It seems quite short then so I added it to play later just in case.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Finished "Nobody Saves the World". Well, not 100% but I saw credits and can do New Game+. Very fun game. I'll probably check out "Curse of the Dead Gods" next, or play a bit of Pac-Man Museum +.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. It seems quite short then so I added it to play later just in case.
I posted above with end game spoilers but i'd add my voice to "it's very good". I've not played a game like it before though, so I can't comment on relative stuff. It REALLY captured my attention though and dragged me away from elden ring, and Halo infinite season 2.

There are light game play mechanices but they give you just enough tension and weight to your choices to get you invested in the story. They also line up with whats happening to your character in the story.

They also reinforce each other, so if you let one meter get low its starts dragging the other down, therefore you're aware of this downward spiral you can slip into...and that feeling matches some of the stuff in the story about characters having difficult circumstances and whether they slip into a mental downward spiral (or not).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I started Unsighted last night, only played 25 mins but it didn't really grab me

I was literally falling asleep playing it because I was so tired, so will put more time into it this evening when I'm hopefully more alert

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Finished "Nobody Saves the World". Well, not 100% but I saw credits and can do New Game+. Very fun game. I'll probably check out "Curse of the Dead Gods" next, or play a bit of Pac-Man Museum +.

Curse of the Dead gods is on Gamepass? I'll mirror what I said about it when it was on PS+, its a fantastic roguelike, I loved it on Switch. Looks great and the combat feels super chunky. Good weapons too. I really liked it, I should go back and finish it, I was in the last zone at the time.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Their is an end to Citizen Sleeper?
Game's really good though.
There are several endings, or you can stay on the station forever.
Note that if you pick a "game over" ending, you can continue from before that choice. But if you don't choose the "end game" option, you can't go back and change your mind. I wish I'd realised this so that I could see the other endings!
I also wonder if anyone made friends with the arsehole dude. I'm pretty sure there's an ending for that but I totally ignored him as soon as it was safe to do so..

Also, Hardspace Shipbreaker is an excellent game to relax to. It's only 3 GB too. Although it looks like a survival game (with oxygen, health and fuel bars, plus shift timers) it doesn't play like one at all. There are no real consequences for going slow or dying (except a lower score and your personal sense of messing up), and topping up the O2/fuel is cheap and easy. You can take the game at whatever pace you want (or use 'Open Shift', which is basically 'creative mode').

Naru

May 11, 2019
Curse of the Dead gods is on Gamepass? I'll mirror what I said about it when it was on PS+, its a fantastic roguelike, I loved it on Switch. Looks great and the combat feels super chunky. Good weapons too. I really liked it, I should go back and finish it, I was in the last zone at the time.
Thanks. That sounds pretty cool.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I started Unsighted last night, only played 25 mins but it didn't really grab me

I was literally falling asleep playing it because I was so tired, so will put more time into it this evening when I'm hopefully more alert
Thats my next pick after Like a Dragon. I don't think its supposed to be too long but its a bummer to hear about the slpw start.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Have people been playing Shipbreaker with M+KB or Controller? I started M+KB and it was fine but I did get a little motion sick. Wondering if controller gets that down at all or if it's pretty much the same.

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
Have people been playing Shipbreaker with M+KB or Controller? I started M+KB and it was fine but I did get a little motion sick. Wondering if controller gets that down at all or if it's pretty much the same.
Personally, I prefer controller, playing with the keyboard makes my hand cramp up.
If you can, switch to a controller to try it out a bit.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I prefer controller, playing with the keyboard makes my hand cramp up.
If you can, switch to a controller to try it out a bit.

I gave it a whirl but braking seemed a little harder and I couldn't get to grips with the movement + aiming, so I went back. I'm getting a little better at stabilising so it's not as bad. There are a lot of real fiddly bits to handle as you go up ship levels but overall its still really fun to methodically disassemble something

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thats my next pick after Like a Dragon. I don't think its supposed to be too long but its a bummer to hear about the slpw start.

Gave it another hour and yeah I'm surprised by how hard I've bounced off this game. It's the type of game I normally love but I'm really not enjoying it

The combat feels like Hyper Light Drifter but just kind of off, and it's really hard on normal.

I'd give it a shot since a lot of people really highly rate it, but I think I'm gonna drop it

Fair Trial

Jan 1, 2018
I wonder why achievements pictures look so grainy/low res on the pc game pass app, while on console and xbox.com are fine.

It bothers me so much lol

Last edited:

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Gave it another hour and yeah I'm surprised by how hard I've bounced off this game. It's the type of game I normally love but I'm really not enjoying it

The combat feels like Hyper Light Drifter but just kind of off, and it's really hard on normal.

I'd give it a shot since a lot of people really highly rate it, but I think I'm gonna drop it
Cool, thanks for the additional info.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Just wanna say that VAMPIRE SURVIVORS is fucking amazing. Holy shit, I wasn't expecting such an addicting game. PC gp users try it it now!!!

Naru

May 11, 2019
So "Curse of the Dead Gods" isn't like Dead Cells for example, where you always start at area #1. Only the level itself is like a Rogue-Like and once you made your way through it and killed the boss it's unlocked and you can choose the next one? Do I have that right?

Edit: Hmm I think that's just for the first few "introduction" levels.

Last edited:

john miller

Nov 29, 2017
Can't get the controller to work with Shipbreaker. I have a dualshock 4, but it doesn't recognize it at all. Anyone with the same problem? Other games work fine.

Naru

May 11, 2019
So I played it for 5 hours or so and Curse of the Dead Gods is pretty good but I absolutely hate it's light/darkness mechanic. I know it is it's core thing but having 3 weapons and then also having to fumble for the fucking torch all the time is super annoying imho. I also hate games where I can't see shit because it's always dark and it's always dark in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.