• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Oops didn't send this earlier. Anyway, I've moved on to Citizen Sleeper and I'm loving it!! It's really cool and evocative and feels like there's interesting depth that I'm just sometimes glimpsing (not suggesting this is like Disco Elysium or anything). I will admit I've fully embraced save scumming, by quitting after bad RNG before the autosave kicks in. And IMO, eases my anxiety and makes everything better hahahaha. Anyway. It's been a great game so far (~5 hours?) regardless of questionable gamer tactics.

Man this weekend was going to be when I powered through San Andreas collectibles, I'm gonna have to buy this game to finish it lmao
Damn.. that sucks. Aside from relatively short periods of issues, I've been able to play. Not turning off my console in between sessions just in case - -". I managed to just power through San Andreas just now, for fear of not having access to it in the next few days. Def not gonna go after collectibles haha. I ended up doing the last 10 or so missions with cheats on, which IMO made it feel better (stuff like being able to speed up certain parts, being able to spawn in a jet whenever to cross long distances back and forth, instant health to avoid going back 15 minutes).

Altogether, good game overall. But, definitely dated and neither as zany nor as compelling as I'd have hoped.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
FFX is leaving?

...eeeeh. I'm about 10-15 hours into it and have been for months and at this point in my life I think I just have to accept that I'm never going to get through a JRPG again. Oh well. Buh-bye, FFX. I have FFXIII 1, 2 and 3 sitting on my hard drive and I'm probably not going to get through those either before they leave lol

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I know it has been mentioned before, but Wild at Heart is great! I started playing it a couple of days ago once I found out it was leaving the service. Its very cute and charming and surprisingly involving. I am not even that big a fan of Pikmin all that much and am loving it, so if anyone has a bit of time to spare, give it a go.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
What mode did everyone play Guardians in, on series X?

I expected Octopath to go after a year so didn't play it, yet it's still there, but now I'm too scared to start it because they could take it away any month now

I played it with the idea it would leave while I was playing Elden Ring, but then I uninstalled it all the same because I felt the game gave me all it could already. And I was going to reply because I don't know why but I read Outriders instead of Octopath. For Outriders, which is the same (already more than a year), they said with the expansion announcment the game would be on game pass for a while still after the expansion launched, but not for how much.

Square Enix games have usually been for 1 year. At least every FF game that has been on there, 12-13 months.

FFX is leaving?

...eeeeh. I'm about 10-15 hours into it and have been for months and at this point in my life I think I just have to accept that I'm never going to get through a JRPG again. Oh well. Buh-bye, FFX. I have FFXIII 1, 2 and 3 sitting on my hard drive and I'm probably not going to get through those either before they leave lol

Well, FFX is a much better game. I played it on december-january and just finished XIII last week and in comparison XIII is a trainwreck of a plot, character collection and combat system. I had fun with it anyway and finished it and classic jrpg is not even one of my favourite genres but FFX surprised the hell out of me with some of its situations, aspects of the battle system and of course story and most of its characters. I was not expecting that at all (it may be the best FF/classic jrpg I've played -not only finished- overall).

Then I watched the link cutscene and started FFX-2 and wanted to cry. I immediately did like that never happened and uninstalled all of that. I started FF XIII-2 the same night I finished XIII and had a bit of a deja vu... but I still may play that. It's not THAT extreme but it definitely felt like a downgrade in some way, but it's supposed to be better than the original in others though, I just have to investigate if it will be worth it for me. Plus there's a third one of course.

TLDR: FFXIII looked nice but is meh, FFX is amazing, FFX-2 doesn't exist.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Performance, which looks dreadful at times but is way more comfortable than res. One thing for sure is I would never have taken res over RT if I could stomach 30fps in this game.

I started it last night and was playing in RT until the first shootout with more numerous enemies. Then I kept switching and I think it gave me dizzyness (so I'll probably have to just settle in a mode for all the time). I'm looking for more info but how does the RT mode compare to the resolution one? And is the performance mode that bad apart from dropping to 1080p? Which already is very noticeable anyway. Hard to decide because camera, input lag and shooting feel quite bad at 30 and that's me coming from FF XIII at 30 fps too with awful camera control.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Currently playing Fallen Order. It's good, but the perfomance on cutscenes on my Series S is irritating and load times are incredibly long.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Embrace the FOMO nature of content leaving subscription services~

I don't mind that they don't give us an earlier heads up because they want that FOMO to kick in, for users to buy the games they want to continue enjoying. This keeps Game Pass sustainable which is to the benefit of all subscribers. They could always change this in the future but I think they need to go with what is most sustainable and legal ;)
No I won't embrace it, it's annoying and it sucks. They should give more notice for when things are leaving. I wouldn't have started a playthrough if I knew I'd get hit with a £20 bill to keep playing as soon as I'd put some time in. Like it just makes me hesitant to even play longer games on there when they can be pulled off so suddenly.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No I won't embrace it, it's annoying and it sucks. They should give more notice for when things are leaving. I wouldn't have started a playthrough if I knew I'd get hit with a £20 bill to keep playing as soon as I'd put some time in. Like it just makes me hesitant to even play longer games on there when they can be pulled off so suddenly.
Hardly an ideal solution, but there are resources online, like the Game Pass master list, that try to predict when games will leave - generally on year anniversaries since that's the most common time. Can be helpful if you're trying to see what might be coming up soon. But yea, it would be nice if a certain class of longer games could be included with more timing. Even long running TV shows rarely run over 20 hours of content leaving at once, whereas we can regularly get 70-100+ hour games leaving within 2 weeks time (and practically, often much less than that since they're not announced until a few days into the period and, like San Andreas, can leave before the end of that period).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What mode did everyone play Guardians in, on series X?

I played it with the idea it would leave while I was playing Elden Ring, but then I uninstalled it all the same because I felt the game gave me all it could already. And I was going to reply because I don't know why but I read Outriders instead of Octopath. For Outriders, which is the same (already more than a year), they said with the expansion announcment the game would be on game pass for a while still after the expansion launched, but not for how much.

Square Enix games have usually been for 1 year. At least every FF game that has been on there, 12-13 months.

Well, FFX is a much better game. I played it on december-january and just finished XIII last week and in comparison XIII is a trainwreck of a plot, character collection and combat system. I had fun with it anyway and finished it and classic jrpg is not even one of my favourite genres but FFX surprised the hell out of me with some of its situations, aspects of the battle system and of course story and most of its characters. I was not expecting that at all (it may be the best FF/classic jrpg I've played -not only finished- overall).

Then I watched the link cutscene and started FFX-2 and wanted to cry. I immediately did like that never happened and uninstalled all of that. I started FF XIII-2 the same night I finished XIII and had a bit of a deja vu... but I still may play that. It's not THAT extreme but it definitely felt like a downgrade in some way, but it's supposed to be better than the original in others though, I just have to investigate if it will be worth it for me. Plus there's a third one of course.

TLDR: FFXIII looked nice but is meh, FFX is amazing, FFX-2 doesn't exist.
RT on XSX. Slow enough to not need 60 fps and was an upgrade over standard resolution mode.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
jesus I ran into a save error when pressing continue on my GotG game and I almost dropped it right there. Fiddled around with chapter select and it popped back up. That would've been super annoying

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking RT too, it's how I started and while I still have to play some real fights, I've already seen the first enemies (green/purple balls and slugs) have way too much hp so I'll probably fiddle with the difficulty options first (damage, slowing time etc) so it's not a bother to play chill at 30 fps.

Same happens to me whenever I think of playing Control Ultimate Edition. I played the original on One X but didn't do any dlc, and now I have the option of RT which looks really good in that game, or 60 fps which looks also very interesting and is my default mode always. But then I can't decide and never start my replay, lol.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Telling Lies, and this is a real pain to play on console. I don't know if it's any different on PC, but on console you can only fast-forward and rewind video files at like 3x speed, and some of these things are 7+ minutes, and... it stinks! Why is it like this?

I liked Her Story, and so far I like the story here, too, but, seriously, I don't see how anyone could play this for five minutes and not come away wanting an option to scrub through the videos faster. I had to Google a way to even start a video from the beginning, rather than the timestamp of a search keyword, because the game doesn't even make that clear. Video playback is literally the only form of gameplay and it sucks to do it lol

lion9t

Unshakable Resolve
Aug 4, 2021
Currently playing Lost in Random ... I love the mystery setting .. the music is wow .. and the voices are great .. still trying to understand the combat .. but up to now it is great game

Last edited:

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I like some stuff about Guardians but it kind of feels like a slog imo. I think if upgrading stuff felt better and exploration was better it could keep my interest better but I can only really play a chapter at a time (and not even a full chapter sometimes).

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I like some stuff about Guardians but it kind of feels like a slog imo. I think if upgrading stuff felt better and exploration was better it could keep my interest better but I can only really play a chapter at a time (and not even a full chapter sometimes).
Dialog and environments are great, combat is pretty dull though I agree

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Started playing Telling Lies, and this is a real pain to play on console. I don't know if it's any different on PC, but on console you can only fast-forward and rewind video files at like 3x speed, and some of these things are 7+ minutes, and... it stinks! Why is it like this?

I liked Her Story, and so far I like the story here, too, but, seriously, I don't see how anyone could play this for five minutes and not come away wanting an option to scrub through the videos faster. I had to Google a way to even start a video from the beginning, rather than the timestamp of a search keyword, because the game doesn't even make that clear. Video playback is literally the only form of gameplay and it sucks to do it lol
I thinks it's a (very bad) design decision. This make the game a pain to play. BIg fan of her story I stopped playing telling lies after maybe 30mn. Hopefully, on PC, someone made a patch that allows you to get back to the start of every video by pressing one key.
But it 's only on PC, and it was on steam version, don't know if it works on gamepass PC (and of course, I don't think such thing exist on console)

Regarding the game itself I found it quite interesting but a bit too long for hiw own good and not as captivated as her story. Waitning for next sam Barlow's game though.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, they should really give a bigger heads up. But the lists that track this stuff typically give you an idea of what to expect is leaving or is now on the chopping block. Because once something passes the year mark, it starts to feel like free game to me because of the weird 14 month games we've seen. At this point, I'm playing through Leaving Soon games when they interest me and then trying to play through other interesting looking third party ones in between normal games I want to play.

I'm trying to finish Remnant and Wild at Heart before they leave. I think I'm right at the cusp of beating Remnant but Wild at Heart has been slow going with all the backtracking to try and find the way forward for me.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

chapter and pace feel a little weird. The exploration is interesting because they don't necessarily handhold you to every secret thing and it can feel a bit unclear when there's a lot of story stuff going on, but I kind of like it. Combat is a bit dull but I'm just playing on normal and it's enjoyable enough to spam a bunch of abilities and combo stuff together.

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
yeah if this Trek to Yomi had some good combat it would be a stellar game. I'm about to start chapter 5 so I don't know how much longer this is gonna go on. I'm hoping to knock it out so I can check out a few other games

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
My GPU is going to expire in about a day or so, what's the best option to renew it for cheap? I can get 3 months for ~£8 by redeeming a Turkey code via VPN.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I always found the vpn shenaningans weird and against terms so I don't know if any of that ends up cheaper, but the gold to ultimate conversion still works. And that can combo with Rewards if that's available/viable in your region.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The gameplay is painfully average and the game just keeps going and going. If the combat and gameplay actually had variation and fun to it, the game would have been one of the best games when it came out. As it stands it's completely overrated and average at best.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
anyone try fortnite on Xcloud? I tried to play it, game loads in browser but it just gets stuck at logging into the game screen. Has it worked for anyone?

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay is painfully average and the game just keeps going and going. If the combat and gameplay actually had variation and fun to it, the game would have been one of the best games when it came out. As it stands it's completely overrated and average at best.
Yeah it leaves a pretty good first impression with its presentation but it's just pretty mediocre as a game.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Worked for me on launch day but havent tried today

Edit: works. Did you do the account picker part? Try refreshing
Not sure what the account picker part means?
I see in the xbox bar UI on the left side of the screen come up showing its logged into my xbox account with profile picture/avatar. Sometimes that stays up iirc for the whole time, just says 'logged in'. but on the main fortnite splash screen behind that, just keeps saying 'logging in...' on the bottom. and never gets past that screen.
I had this happen first time I tried it. Then closed and re-launched and it worked just fine
What exactly did you close? I tried different browsers, logged out of MS and back in the browser. And with the game launched and open, I held the UI of the xbox button, and tried rebooting/restarting from there(cant recall what happened with that exactly), but regardless its always the same results. Could not get past the 'logging in...' screen of Fortnite.

I will say I have never played Fortnite on xbox. Only played it originally when it launched on PS4. and then again more recently on PC. Anyways I ended up just redownloading it again on PC, which I was trying to avoid, to save SDD space.

Ill try again today.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Not sure what the account picker part means?
I see in the xbox bar UI on the left side of the screen come up showing its logged into my xbox account with profile picture/avatar. Sometimes that stays up iirc for the whole time, just says 'logged in'. but on the main fortnite splash screen behind that, just keeps saying 'logging in...' on the bottom. and never gets past that screen.

What exactly did you close? I tried different browsers, logged out of MS and back in the browser. And with the game launched and open, I held the UI of the xbox button, and tried rebooting/restarting from there(cant recall what happened with that exactly), but regardless its always the same results. Could not get past the 'logging in...' screen of Fortnite.

I will say I have never played Fortnite on xbox. Only played it originally when it launched on PS4. and then again more recently on PC. Anyways I ended up just redownloading it again on PC, which I was trying to avoid, to save SDD space.

Ill try again today.
The account picker is that sidebar with your xbox account that pops up. You need to use the touch overlay A button to select that to progress lol or if on pc in a browser use your controller

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
The account picker is that sidebar with your xbox account that pops up. You need to use the touch overlay A button to select that to progress lol or if on pc in a browser use your controller
oh, so I cant use the mouse on that? It didnt seem like there was anything to select, as it already said logged in, and I felt it went away at some point, but not really sure. Ill try a controller later. thanks

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
oh, so I cant use the mouse on that? It didnt seem like there was anything to select, as it already said logged in, and I felt it went away at some point, but not really sure. Ill try a controller later. thanks
Yeah its an xbox ui thing. "Logged in" means like thats the active account but as part of the launch process for many games you select which account you want to play as (to load the proper save data etc). Sometimes its automatic and they go with whoever is active, sometimes they do this manual confirmation. Mouse and keyboard isnt support on xcloud.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its an xbox ui thing. "Logged in" means like thats the active account but as part of the launch process for many games you select which account you want to play as (to load the proper save data etc). Sometimes its automatic and they go with whoever is active, sometimes they do this manual confirmation. Mouse and keyboard isnt support on xcloud.
ah yeah that is right, totally forgot mouse and keyboard are not supported. I had played some xcloud last year, and I remember that its only controller now. But I dont recall ever having to manually select my account in the UI on launch. Thanks for clearing it up.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the syncing process of Game Pass titles takes so long and it shows an error in the end, but gives an option to play without syncing.
What will happen if I play games without syncing? They just become offline without any other problem, or there is something bigger than that, like losing achievements or saves?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the syncing process of Game Pass titles takes so long and it shows an error in the end, but gives an option to play without syncing.
What will happen if I play games without syncing? They just become offline without any other problem, or there is something bigger than that, like losing achievements or saves?

It is your saves you are syncing. If you have last played a game elsewhere you can lose progress if you skip the sync.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021

I'd say it's only worth it if you're a big Marvel fan. The cast performance is great, but the combat is probably the least engaging combat I've ever dealt with other than YS VIII. It's a complete snoozefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.