• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
its not a roguelike? don't get me wrong, this isnt the usual "EWW ROGUELIKE IM OUT" era post, I just mean in the sense its very recent and roguelikes usually take a bit longer to finish

Nope, more of a bullet-hell Zelda-like than anything else.

As mentioned above, if you wanna play on PC and achievements are your thing, hold off for another patch because they aren't popping. (EDIT: They might not work for some time.)

Also, be warned that the game says cloud saves in the PC app but it doesn't appear there are any. I reinstalled it just now hoping to check my total playtime but the save is gone. I'd estimate it at ~10-12 hours, having explored the entire map.

Last edited:

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I started on PC a couple nights back but stopped around an hour in once I noticed the achievements weren't popping. Seems like the game isn't connecting you to Xbox Live or something, cause my profile said I wasn't playing anything when I had the game running.

Ended up switching to console instead and haven't had any problems there.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so Archvale on Game Pass PC is the one that needed patching? Is the console version ok or does that need patching as well?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Wait, so Archvale on Game Pass PC is the one that needed patching? Is the console version ok or does that need patching as well?

The Archvale PC version was patched yesterday already.

I do think that Nintendo should offer to Archvale devs the chance make a Zelda theme game, as they did with Cadence of Hyrule. It just fits so well.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah Archvale is really good.

It's like top down Zelda meets Binding of Isaac.
Archvale is damn good. It has taken me by surprise, and I haven't stopped playing since I started. Great game that I wouldn't have played if not for Game Pass. MSFT deserves hella props for this service because it truly has been the best thing that has happened in gaming in a very long time.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say I love that if you click a coming soon title, it gives you how much time left for it to unlockin days, hours and seconds. Its the little things.

Deband

Oct 29, 2017
How does the stacking gamepass work if you've already done it once? Mine runs out in April. Will the £1 trial reappear once my gp expires? Or am I paying full price after then?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
How does the stacking gamepass work if you've already done it once? Mine runs out in April. Will the £1 trial reappear once my gp expires? Or am I paying full price after then?

Don't think you'll get the £1 deal. However, you can just buy 1 month of ultimate to upgrade.

CDkeys is selling xbox live gold for £38.99 and 1 month of ultimate for £8.99 so you could just buy a couple of years of xbox live gold and then apply the one month at the end to upgrade it all to ultimate.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Think the other post covers it really. You have to wait for it to expire before you can stack gold and convert. If you redeem gold before then it gets converted at a normal ratio, which doesn't really save any money versus buying gamepass.

So expire, stack, convert.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I haven't gotten to the bullet-hell segments of Archvale yet (will play once they patch achivement support) but from what I've seen it's basically Enter the Gungeon stripped of its roguelike elements and some rpg stuff added.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So I take it this has been fixed now? (Archvale)

@everyone Apologies for the double ping, but *really* important message.

**GAMEPASS USERS**
The windows 10 build of Archvale, which you will get through gamepass on PC, is releasing missing a *huge* patch which in my opinion is absolutely critical for the game to be enjoyable. It adds a lot of polish, changes up all of the bosses, and introduces *massive* balancing changes. **I highly advise holding off on the gamepass PC version until the patch is released**. The Xbox build, however, is up to date.

If you are a content creator and you were planning on using the gamepass version, **please contact me** and I'll get you set up with a key for steam instead.

I wish we could have delayed the release on this platform, but it's not possible due to contractual obligations. The build live on the windows store was *never* intended to be played, but a hiccup on our publishers side meant that the windows 10 build was missed (it's a separate thing from steam) and the approval process takes too long to have the build playable at launch. The patch is in review right now.

**Non gamepass users**, if you see anyone playing the game on the gamepass build (it'll be obvious, it looks a lot worse than the live version), please let them know. I'm really concerned about content creators using this build, and showing off a product we're not proud of or happy with. Thank you!

edit: Steam, Switch and XBOX are ALL up to date. This ONLY affects the windows store.
Devs seemed to imply the GamePass PC version was unplayable?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

It is pretty bizarre how much is different between whatever it was they initially released on Gamepass and the version there now.

Different enemies compositions in rooms, different loot. It must have been a much earlier build than what every other storefront got. Usually with late beta to release you see squashing of bugs and smaller tweaks, not fundamental rebalancing and redesign of the macro game.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017

That makes sense, even with the achievements bugged, on Normal it felt like some regular enemies (scorpions) were way tougher to fight than they should be, not to mention it feels like out of nowhere you can lose 75% of your health. Having a fantastic time with the game otherwise so hopefully this patch comes soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing the thought's of Archvale being a nifty treat this week. Have encountered one game crashing bug, in a room in the middle west portion of the map. Doesn't show up as an unexplored area, so figured it must be a secret room, but when you move down through an exit the game freezes up then straight to dashboard.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
I finally got round to playing Zelda BoTW and really enjoyed it. Are there are games on xbox gamepass that are similar? Either in mechanics or just that 3rd person adventure style game. I've got the Gunk preloaded, not sure how similar it'll be but it looks like it could be a fun 3rd person adventure game.

Hausmeister

Nov 1, 2017
I finally got round to playing Zelda BoTW and really enjoyed it. Are there are games on xbox gamepass that are similar? Either in mechanics or just that 3rd person adventure style game. I've got the Gunk preloaded, not sure how similar it'll be but it looks like it could be a fun 3rd person adventure game.

Not on Gamepass, but on Xbox and relatively cheap: Have you tried Ubisofts Fenyx Rising?

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sable get compared to BOTW for some of its mechanics and open-world exploration? Haven't played either so hopefully someone else can confirm.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
12 minutes... is actually a pretty cool game once you get into it. But it's also incredibly annoying having to redo shit over and over with little idea what to do. Maybe I am dumb but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 loops to get one new bit of information. Gets grating. The window to do things or have to redo things is just too short in my opinion. Perhaps if you could pause the timer and select your actions.

Oct 25, 2017
Archvale is really quite well designed. Same devs as forager I think. Just a very well made enjoyable experience. Currently got 2 of the arches collected. I could see myself replaying on a harder difficulty too. It's just no nonsense fun. No tons of dialogue to pour through. No lengthy tutorial. Learn the game while playing. No lengthy travel times.

It's dark souls meets action RPG.

Oct 29, 2017
Archvale is really quite well designed. Same devs as forager I think. Just a very well made enjoyable experience. Currently got 2 of the arches collected. I could see myself replaying on a harder difficulty too. It's just no nonsense fun. No tons of dialogue to pour through. No lengthy tutorial. Learn the game while playing. No lengthy travel times.

It's dark souls meets action RPG.

Urgh. I've seen this game mentioned a lot so I downloaded it to give it a try. But then I read the Dark Souls comparison and my excitement levels have plummeted. I don't have the patience for DS-difficulty games.

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021

Sable is probably the closest thing to BotW on Gamepass at the moment. There's no combat but if you enjoyed the exploratory nature of BotW, then Sable hits those notes. Its not as big a world and maybe not as crammed with secrets but it's still a joy to explore because of how chilled the experience is and how beautiful the visuals and soundtrack (done by Japanese Breakfast) are. Definitely worth a go and a very good first title from Shedworks.

Echoing the praise for Archvale. Started it the other night and it's fantastic. I was never fussed for Enter the Gungeon but I love this so far. The chaos in some areas when in action makes things frantic but I'm really enjoying the mix of Zelda and Enter the Gungeon. This and Unsighted have been two games published by Humble Games to really take me by surprise. Both are some of my favourite indies this year.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Urgh. I've seen this game mentioned a lot so I downloaded it to give it a try. But then I read the Dark Souls comparison and my excitement levels have plummeted. I don't have the patience for DS-difficulty games.

I don't really see much Dark Souls influence in the game, unless we're comparing the fountains to bonfires and the fact that you lose some of your money every time you die. If we have to do any comparison it's Zelda meets Gungeon. Also, there's an easy mode if normal is too tough. I played on normal myself and there were a couple difficulty spikes, but I think it was more that I went to certain biomes earlier than I should have.

This and Unsighted have been two games published by Humble Games to really take me by surprise.

Side note, it feels like within the last year or so, Humble has emerged as a top-3 Indie games publisher. I put them right up there with Devolver and Annapurna. Love that they've started releasing so many of their games on Game Pass Day 1.

Last edited:

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Not on Gamepass, but on Xbox and relatively cheap: Have you tried Ubisofts Fenyx Rising?

I have not, I'll take a look. I remember it being advertised but never really looked into it, thanks.

Sable is probably the closest thing to BotW on Gamepass at the moment. There's no combat but if you enjoyed the exploratory nature of BotW, then Sable hits those notes. Its not as big a world and maybe not as crammed with secrets but it's still a joy to explore because of how chilled the experience is and how beautiful the visuals and soundtrack (done by Japanese Breakfast) are. Definitely worth a go and a very good first title from Shedworks.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I don't mind games purely for exploration.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see dark souls as a difficult game. I never have. Which is why I feel comfortable mentioning dark souls. But the ways in which I say this game is like dark souls is because you progress between checkpoints (campfires in darksouls, fountains in archvale) and you have limited healing tools that are refreshed when you use a check point. Using a check point also respawns rooms you cleared. There is also a bit of a choice in where you go next in certain parts of the game, similar to dark souls. But unlike dark souls this does have difficulty choices ranging from easy to I think one step above hard. There is a small death penalty, but you can bank gold that you can never lose and you only lose about half your gold on normal. I wouldn't let dark souls scare you away and you'll have a pretty good idea if this game is for you within like 20 minutes of playing it I think. Just jump in imo.

suffah

Oct 29, 2017
Just installed Enter the Gungeon and see all these posts about Archvale. Going to give Archvale a go first.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Once again MS goes for pc games, impossible to deny the push they have been making with many pc only games.

wish they put the same amount of effort into Xbox console stuff.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Once again MS goes for pc games, impossible to deny the push they have been making with many pc only games.

wish they put the same amount of effort into Xbox console stuff.
There's nothing here implying that console won't get as many if not more announcements.

What can they do really when there are PC-only titles but there aren't really any console-only games that come to Xbox (other than Judgment/Lost Judgment) anymore?

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I guess all these console games added in first half of the month don't count then?

XGP_Coming-Soon_12.1.21.jpg

Plus at least The Gunk and more still to announce.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing here implying that console won't get as many if not more announcements.

What can they do really when there are PC-only titles but there aren't really any console-only games that come to Xbox (other than Judgment/Lost Judgment) anymore?

Like the Twitter account is a PC Game Pass account. That's why the tweet is slanted towards PC. Just seems like a premature jump to conclusion. Also, the obligatory I have no time for all the console Game Pass titles much less the long strategy ones on PC. I'm ok with them chilling while I catch up a bit.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Sold it to me, thanks! Hoping it helps the next 2 days go quick

Yeah Sable has some great things that also made Breath great, and I enjoyed it quite a bit when it came out, despite the performance problems. I didn't finish it and came back to it recently though, and I'm feeling the bugs, bad performance and janky controls a lot more after playing some other games. I definitely recommend the game still though of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.