• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shocked that Control Ultimate Edition didn't hit Game Pass. Was really hoping Gang Beasts would be in this batch of games. Also sad to see Jackbox leave entirely.
Personal conspiracy theory of mine but I think Sony funded a lot of the dev work for the ultimate edition...hence it won't/can't go on gamepass for awhile.

It went straight(?) onto PS+, runs identically on PS and Xbox (which could esily be a purely dev choice to help optimisation and QA), and there was the shennanigans with original control where Philly Spence said it was coming to gamepass and it didn't.

It's also been developed in a "playstation" way in that the new version is treated as a completely different title and SKU and priced accordingly.

A completely plausible alternative is that the publisher wanted more money and so forced it to be a separate sku, and they just randomly did a deal to get PS+ money

A third alternative is that the game engine REALLY IS, that different and save games just couldn't work between the two, so they just treated and sold it like a different sku the whole time.

I should've mentioned I want to play on PC.

In that case the best bet is to check DF or someone doing a PC performance analysis. My total guess would be longe rload times and worse draw distance and texture pop in...but i'm just a random person in the internet!

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I guess that there's no chance that Yakuza Kiwami 2 will get a XSX patch?

It's my first 30fps game on XSX (after The Medium where it somehow didn't bother me much), and it's rough.

After playing the first Kiwami and Yakuza 0, it feels so weird to play a 30fps Yakuza.

Oct 29, 2017
I guess that there's no chance that Yakuza Kiwami 2 will get a XSX patch?

It's my first 30fps game on XSX (after The Medium where it somehow didn't bother me much), and it's rough.

After playing the first Kiwami and Yakuza 0, it feels so weird to play a 30fps Yakuza.

Having only played 0, Kiwami and Like A Dragon, I didn't play Kiwami 2 for long at all before switching it off. 30fps just feels so slow and janky now, particularly in games like this with fighting.

I really hope it gets a patch but I'm not confident at all.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Great additions all around. IMHO, Dirt 5 is a weak product, which apparently underperformed commercially... but it´s still a massive, very recent AAA.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is great; it was the last of the great modern RPGs I have yet to play. I waited for it to enter Game Pass and it paid off.

Elite Dangerous is a marvelous experience and should be given a chance by anyone with a little patience and a love for space, technology and exploration.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Personal conspiracy theory of mine but I think Sony funded a lot of the dev work for the ultimate edition...hence it won't/can't go on gamepass for awhile.

It went straight(?) onto PS+, runs identically on PS and Xbox (which could esily be a purely dev choice to help optimisation and QA), and there was the shennanigans with original control where Philly Spence said it was coming to gamepass and it didn't.

It's also been developed in a "playstation" way in that the new version is treated as a completely different title and SKU and priced accordingly.

A completely plausible alternative is that the publisher wanted more money and so forced it to be a separate sku, and they just randomly did a deal to get PS+ money

A third alternative is that the game engine REALLY IS, that different and save games just couldn't work between the two, so they just treated and sold it like a different sku the whole time.

Plausible, we really don't have many behind the scenes reporting from Remedy so there's lots of possibilities.

Personally, I've always suspected that Remedy got really annoyed with Xbox and have put them on the back burner. Pretty sure it was December 2019 when Phil Spencer seemed to leak that Control was coming to Game Pass. Everyone immediately denied it afterwards, but it was odd to assume he misspoke: He was specifically talking about Remedy in the conversation, then brought up Control, then said he couldn't wait till more people got to play it on Game Pass.

My guess his mistake was in announcing it before the deal was finalized. That immediately killed Control's sales on Xbox, because no one believed the denials. Remedy gets angry because of that, and while unwilling to completely damage the relationship with Xbox, they then turn to Sony. The Game Pass deal gets cancelled, Control goes to PS Now for a while instead, and now when the base version finally is coming to Game Pass, the Ultimate version goes to PS+. All because Spencer cost them sales.

But again, no basis for this, just idle speculation.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 20 hours so far of Final Fantasy 12 (although any time number for me is misleading as I'm slow as a turtle in games). I really like it. Mainly for the gameplay. I super enjoy the license system and the class stuff. It's honestly overwhelming to a large degree initially but I kinda like that and I don't want to over look up stuff so I don't end up playing to a guide although I know those resources out there exist for the game. The graphics are really nice. Especially the environment work. Story is kinda meh for me but then I tend to feel that way about most final fantasy games. They aren't generally my favorite when it comes to story versus Dragon Quest or Suikoden which is my personal favorite.

I adore the combat. I love the gambit system. This is the way I wish all jrpg systems were. I like how I can set things up and only have to step in to manage things versus it being some kind of action game or have to micro-manage every single menu selection aspect of the combat. Reminds me of Kotor in that way.

Some of systems aren't explained super well like the quickening system for example which I had to watch a video to understand but whatever. There is enough google material to quickly find out pretty much any info about the game. The game has an addictive quality to it. Like I sit down to play and before I know it, 3 hours have passed which is a nice feeling. Really glad I got to play it here on gamepass.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
Weird to me that Pillars 2 is on Xbox gamepass but not PC. May wait it out and see if it comes to PC. I tried DOS2 on console and left wishing I had played on PC instead.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Weird to me that Pillars 2 is on Xbox gamepass but not PC. May wait it out and see if it comes to PC. I tried DOS2 on console and left wishing I had played on PC instead.
I wish MS bought the publishing rights to POE1/2 and Tyranny off Paradox/Vs Evil and put them permanently on Game Pass, POE1/2 in particular. Given that Avowed is going to be placed in the same universe, if Avowed takes off it would be cool to have the first 2 games to offer to the new fans of the setting, without jumping through any hoops.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
If you do end up loving Observation (I know I did), it's probably worth it to check out Deliver Us The Moon. That game's on PC game pass, not sure about other platforms.

Unfortunately I'm quite mixed on Observation. Sometimes enjoying it and sometimes hating it. The space walk sections are incredibly frustrating. I think the game play inside the space station is good - not incredible, but definitely good. The space walk sections are extremely frustrating and I kept getting lost and disoriented.

I think the story is interesting and the visuals / production values are really good. It really elevates the game. But the game is overall disappointing. Even inside the space station, it can be very cumbersome moving the cameras around. I wish I could make the movement of the cameras faster. I can change look sensitivity but only for the sphere... not the cameras.

Jasper I just beat Observation and I quite liked it overall. I was very very miffed and annoyed throughout the whole game at the space walks and camera speed and navigation. But the game was so unique and intriguing and the visuals were incredibly good. So overall I'd give it a 4/5. I am that impressed with the premise and visuals in the game. I'm disappointed but at the same time really impressed with this game.

And reflecting on the past games I've played, I'm going to have to up my personal score of Call of the Sea from 3.5/5 up to 4/5. That game also had some weaknesses that partially soured the experience (one or two obtuse puzzles, some bad voice acting) but it had great visuals and story and world design / atmosphere.

Now... having said all of that, I'm still undecided on playing Deliver Us the Moon. I really like good walking simulators, but I don't necessarily want to spend time playing Deliver Us the Moon if it's more of the same compared to Observation and if it's not remarkable. I've been trying to trim the fat in my backlog and I cut Deliver Us the Moon, thinking "Okay, I'll play just one of these space game pass games, and between the two Observation will be my pick". That was my thought process, if you get my drift.

And in the meantime, I'm overjoyed with Outer Wilds and I'm continuing to play through it. Coincidentally, that also happens to be a space game, but I considered it, personally, part of a "separate" pool of games for my backlog (ie, a must-play game that could end up being my GOTY).

Last edited:

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I think I enjoyed Deliver Us The Moon more than Observation because some of the gameplay in Observation really brought the experience down. Still, I think both games are worth playing and are both relatively short compared to other behemoths I'm playing like The Witcher 3. I like to rotate between lengths and styles of games so those two were slotted between longer games like The Last Of Us Part 2 or open-world games like Rage 2.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Still having a great time with Dragon Quest XI - think I crossed 50 hours last night. Big fan of the amount of Scottish characters in it that don't sound absolutely embarrassing for once.

Got 2 mates to start Deep Rock Galactic the other night as well and it made a great first impression. Full of character right away. We were a bit intimidated by the massive amount of upgrades and stuff that seem possible but im sure we'll get used to that.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I Play 99% of the time on console. But I am thinking playing Pillars of eternity on PC. The game plays well on console, and there is much difference between PC Pillars of eternity and console Pillars of eternity complete edition?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
A long time ago I played the hell out of Elite Dangerous, I found a great trading route, had a good collection of ships with good loadouts and had explored quite a lot.

I recently went back, and totally forgot how to play the game. Even taking off from the starting hanger was a huge struggle.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I think I enjoyed Deliver Us The Moon more than Observation because some of the gameplay in Observation really brought the experience down. Still, I think both games are worth playing and are both relatively short compared to other behemoths I'm playing like The Witcher 3. I like to rotate between lengths and styles of games so those two were slotted between longer games like The Last Of Us Part 2 or open-world games like Rage 2.
I enjoyed Deliver us the moon when I played it. Also not too long. Recommended

Well, this combined w/ Jasper's comment have convinced me. My short-term 10-game backlog now looks like this:
  1. Outer Wilds
  2. Yakuza 0
  3. Broken Age (not game pass)
  4. Red Dead Redemption II (not game pass)
  5. Deliver Us the Moon
  6. Kentucky Route Zero (not game pass)
  7. Yakuza Kiwami
  8. Control's two DLC expansions (not game pass)
  9. Yakuza Kiwami 2
  10. Afterparty (not game pass)

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this combined w/ Jasper's comment have convinced me. My short-term 10-game backlog now looks like this:
  1. Outer Wilds
  2. Yakuza 0
  5. Deliver Us the Moon
  7. Yakuza Kiwami
  9. Yakuza Kiwami 2

Some good games on there. I'd recommend dropping Afterparty if you're not enjoying it an hour or two in as it remains generally on that level.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I bought Dirt 5 literally 16 days ago and never even downloaded it :(. I tried to return it but MS refused to refund me because it was 2 days after the refund deadline.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I should've mentioned I want to play on PC.
Plausible, we really don't have many behind the scenes reporting from Remedy so there's lots of possibilities.

Personally, I've always suspected that Remedy got really annoyed with Xbox and have put them on the back burner. Pretty sure it was December 2019 when Phil Spencer seemed to leak that Control was coming to Game Pass. Everyone immediately denied it afterwards, but it was odd to assume he misspoke: He was specifically talking about Remedy in the conversation, then brought up Control, then said he couldn't wait till more people got to play it on Game Pass.

My guess his mistake was in announcing it before the deal was finalized. That immediately killed Control's sales on Xbox, because no one believed the denials. Remedy gets angry because of that, and while unwilling to completely damage the relationship with Xbox, they then turn to Sony. The Game Pass deal gets cancelled, Control goes to PS Now for a while instead, and now when the base version finally is coming to Game Pass, the Ultimate version goes to PS+. All because Spencer cost them sales.

But again, no basis for this, just idle speculation.
yeah that matches my idle speculation too :-) I guess we're just writing fanfiction!?

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Quite disappointed by carrion. It was not that I expected a great game, but it ended being repetitive very fast. I can't consider it as a bad game due to the good work of the dev on every aspect, but I don't find it fun to play.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Is there an ETA for the games? Wreckfest and Code Vein are available now but not the rest. (on PC).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass cloud is rough. I tried doing the Game Pass quests using the streaming service and the artifacting and image refreshing when turning is really bad. This shouldn't be an internet thing too since im getting at least 300Mbps upload and download via Speed Test

Aug 9, 2020
I just finished The Touryst and I'm blown away by the level of polish with this beautiful puzzler. There is a certain level of jank to the controls, but overall this game really surprised me with its presentation. Another great example of a game I wouldn't have tried without GP.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished The Touryst and I'm blown away by the level of polish with this beautiful puzzler. There is a certain level of jank to the controls, but overall this game really surprised me with its presentation. Another great example of a game I wouldn't have tried without GP.

Agreed, it definitely felt more of a "complete" game than I expected too, had a lot of fun with the quests. My main complaint was with the camera system but otherwise it was a very pleasant surprise.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
  1. Outer Wilds
  2. Yakuza 0
  5. Deliver Us the Moon
  7. Yakuza Kiwami
  9. Yakuza Kiwami 2
im on yakuza 3. i adore these games. i dont do any side content whatsoever. just play the main missions all the way through. dont even really pay attention much to the story. half the lines i fall asleep through save for Majima's because i'm playing after work. I adore the game series though. It's everyhting i could ever want. I love Kiryu and the writing

Oct 28, 2017
You love the writing even though you fall asleep through half the lines, and are hardly paying attention to the rest. What?

Edit: Just read the quote properly. It's down to being tired from work that sends you to sleep. My bad.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Finished Yakuza 0 finally, after I let go of doing more meaningless completion. Started Yakuza 1.. but.. can't save? Already
out of prison
but, can't save in the menu. Can't save at phones. It just keeps giving me the "New Save Data" option, then I click it, then I check.. and there's no save data.

What is wrong :( I don't wanna lose all my progress. I don't want to just rely on Quick Resume XD

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Wreckfest online is a blast. We should form a group to play some races, never played much online when i had the game on ps4.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
but, can't save in the menu. Can't save at phones. It just keeps giving me the "New Save Data" option, then I click it, then I check.. and there's no save data.

What is wrong :( I don't wanna lose all my progress. I don't want to just rely on Quick Resume XD

Did you scroll down? It should show underneath the autosave saves.

Edit: Oh, you're playing on console. When I save on a PC with SSD I sometimes have to wait on the save screen a couple of seconds before clicking new save so the save data actually gets generated or something. If I click it too fast then it hasn't had the chance yet.

Last edited:

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Think i'll give Wreckfest a go, and also try out Outer Wilds finally.

Edit: Outer Wilds is cloud only? No console or PC.. that seems silly to me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass cloud is rough. I tried doing the Game Pass quests using the streaming service and the artifacting and image refreshing when turning is really bad. This shouldn't be an internet thing too since im getting at least 300Mbps upload and download via Speed Test

It is an internet thing unfortunately. When I went from wifi to 5g, all the artifacts and weirdness disappeared.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't sleep for some reason and tried out Pillars of Eternity 2...that is a lot of information to try and absorb when you are tired and have not played the first game lol

Status
Not open for further replies.