• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if what you're looking for is a solid beat 'em up, I'd stick with Double Dragon Neon and avoid Battletoads. I'm not sure if even half of Battletoads is beat 'em up gameplay. It's more a hodepodge of a bunch of different genres that, IMO, manages to be good at none of them.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
My Friend Pedro's OST is so good. It's just the John Wick club scene tunes for the entire game

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, if what you're looking for is a solid beat 'em up, I'd stick with Double Dragon Neon and avoid Battletoads. I'm not sure if even half of Battletoads is beat 'em up gameplay. It's more a hodepodge of a bunch of different genres that, IMO, manages to be good at none of them.
To me Battletoads was "kinda perfect" because it's somewhat of a mix of all the types of games that I can't play a full game of hahah

demi

Oct 27, 2017
River City Girls was quite entertaining in local coop mode. Now I'm looking for something similar which is not Streets of Rage.

So I havent personally tried it, but Guacamelee 2 features co-op for the entire campaign. It's got beat em up arena segments but it's primarily a "Metroidvania"

Unsure if it will be fun as a co-op experience, but it is a suggestion

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
So I havent personally tried it, but Guacamelee 2 features co-op for the entire campaign. It's got beat em up arena segments but it's primarily a "Metroidvania"

Unsure if it will be fun as a co-op experience, but it is a suggestion

Played some of the first game in co-op here and that was quite fun.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Why avoid the game? The whole appeal of Game Pass to me is trying games that are either not in my wheelhouse or games many deem bad. For example, Crackdown 3 was absolutely massacred by critics and fans. If it weren't for Game Pass, I likely would have never played the game to find out that it was actually a fun little time waster.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Why avoid the game? The whole appeal of Game Pass to me is trying games that are either not in my wheelhouse or games many deem bad.

Ha, yeah, fair enough, forgot what thread I was in. It was meant more as a warning that, if you want a pure beat 'em up in the same vein as SoR4 or RCG, Battletoads won't scratch that itch at all. But I know some people enjoyed it for what it was so if you go into it with the mildest of expectations, you might have a good time.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is Sea of Thieves fun if I wanna go solo?

Its certainly doable but it's really a multiplayer game. You can play solo but it's not really designed for that.

You're best starting with multiplayer to learn the game then playing solo when you're competent. If you're truly intending to never play it socially then I'd probably say don't bother.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All those January 7th games are up. Injustice 2 downloading!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
goddammit why did they have to add Pathfinder Kingmaker on free play days during this whole 10k points thingy?
now i want to play it but i shouldnt
and injustice 2 just hit and i wanted to check it too

you're tearing me apart mirkosoft

Oct 28, 2017
So I started frostpunk and was having a great time. I booted the game up the next day and it seemed like the newest save wasn't as far in as I got the day before, but I shrugged and continued. Then tonight I noticed the 'saving' icon was constantly there and the pause menu would not let me save. I quit the game at which point it prompts me to save, so I created a new save then and there. Not only did the game then crash when I quit to menu, when I restarted the game my new save wasn't there and nor was my previous save from a couple hours earlier. Several hours progress gone. I'm done with this waste of my time.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Gears Tactics is so fucking good

Cutscenes are also amazing, very well done with insane graphics

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I suck so bad at fighting games. Does anyone know of a good video tutorial that will teach me how to play Neversoft games right? I just can't get a feeling for hitting the combos or special moves. Like do I do "left, right then A", or "left, the right and A at the same time". Or with the combos am I just supposed to hit XXY (or whatever) as fast as I can or is there some timing thing I'm missing? I feel like I'll hit it right one out of every 5 or 6 times in the tutorial, but I'll never understand why the combo registered the time it did and not the other times.

I used to be great at MK and Street Fighter 2 back in the day, but now for some reason I just can't wrap my head around the controls anymore. If anyone has any resources they can point me to, to just help me understand enough of the basics to get through the campaign (I will never play these games competitively), I'd appreciate it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gears Tactics is so fucking good

Cutscenes are also amazing, very well done with insane graphics

The character models are incredible for a tactics game, and specially considering that 99% of the time, you're gonna be seeing them from a bird's eye view. It's easily the best looking 'XCOM-like" I've played. I mean, look at this,

hq2Y9jX.jpg

I'm in the middle of Act 3, and I have to say that I'm getting a bit burnt out by the game. Unlike XCOM, it doesn't have the variety the strategy layer brings to XCOM, so it's just mission after mission after mission, and the optional missions the game locks you into can get a bit tedious (grab chests, hold supplies, destroy imulsion, over, and over, and over again). And unlike XCOM, you have to do them to unlock the story missions.

I do enjoy the game; the actual tactics layer is actually fantastic. You soldiers become so overpowered and get so many skills that the game stars to feel closer to something like Divinity OS2 (a lot of AoE buffs and CC), which is great. I just wish it had some variety. If there's a sequel, I hope they keep the amazing tactical gameplay but add something else (maybe exploring a map with Gabe's trailer for supplies or places to camp or whatever) because this game needs something else.

Last edited:

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
The character models are incredible for a tactics game, and specially considering that 99% of the time, you're gonna be seeing them from a bird's eye view. It's easily the best looking 'XCOM-like" I've played. I mean, look at this,

hq2Y9jX.jpg

I'm in the middle of Act 3, and I have to say that I'm getting a bit burnt out by the game. Unlike XCOM, it doesn't have the variety the strategy layer brings to XCOM, so it's just mission after mission after mission, and the optional missions the game locks you into can get a bit tedious (grab chests, hold supplies, destroy imulsion, over, and over, and over again). And unlike XCOM, you have to do them to unlock the story missions.

I do enjoy the game; the actual tactics layer is actually fantastic. You soldiers become so overpowered and get so many skills that game stars to feel closer to something like Divinity OS2, which is great. I just wish it had some variety. If there's a sequel, I hope they keep the amazing tactical gameplay but add something else (maybe exploring a map with Gabe's trailer for supplies or places to camp or whatever) because this game needs something else.

I started the game some time ago, and only recently came back to it and got hooked again. But, how long is it in terms of missions? I've just started act 2, and have up to 12 soldiers in the barracks. I've done a couple missions or three in this act so far and it seems I'm only really getting started... I fear the game indeed gets boring/repetitive really soon. Maybe I should play it in bursts or taking breaks in between acts if they are very mission packed and there isn't more variety after the brumak and boomers showing up, in terms of enemy variety and/or mission mechanics. But it sure is fun for/until now.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I started the game some time ago, and only recently came back to it and got hooked again. But, how long is it in terms of missions? I've just started act 2, and have up to 12 soldiers in the barracks. I've done a couple missions or three in this act so far and it seems I'm only really getting started... I fear the game indeed gets boring/repetitive really soon. Maybe I should play it in bursts or taking breaks in between acts if they are very mission packed and there isn't more variety after the brumak and boomers showing up, in terms of enemy variety and/or mission mechanics. But it sure is fun for/until now.

I don't know exactly since I haven't finished it yet, but it's moderately long. The further you get into the game, the more side missions you have to complete in order to unlock the next story mission. So at first you choose one out of two optional missions, then 2 out of 3, then 3 out of 4, etc.

Something else I don't like about the game, and this is a minor grip that mostly annoys the XCOM player in me, is that the game strongly encourages dismissing existing soldiers and replacing them with new ones instead of keeping 4-6 soldiers that you keep using and leveling up through the campaign, because new soldiers you recruit will always be higher level than most of your existing troops. This is not really a problem in itself, but in these games you tend to get attached to your troops and the game does have robust armor and cosmetic customizations, so its a bummer having to dismiss a solider you spent time customizing just to dismiss him later because he's too low level.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
There are 3 acts but starting in the 3rd act the game is really drawn out and you have to slog through missions over and over just to advance the story. I that was my biggest gripe with the game. I would've preferred a shorter game with optional grinding for loot but they really make you beat like 3 or 4 missions to go to the next story mission (which by act 3 is just like the 3-4 missions you beat already). Game is still fun though and I hope they have more time if they do a second one because the combat itself is really good.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
For me, Gears Tactics really illustrates how useful Quick Resume can be, because after I finish a mission, I go play something else for a bit, like the Messenger or Death Cells or Metal Gear Rising, and then go back like 30 minutes later. Just powering through the missions would be exceedingly tiresome.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

hq2Y9jX.jpg

I do enjoy the game; the actual tactics layer is actually fantastic. You soldiers become so overpowered and get so many skills that the game stars to feel closer to something like Divinity OS2 (a lot of AoE buffs and CC), which is great. I just wish it had some variety. If there's a sequel, I hope they keep the amazing tactical gameplay but add something else (maybe exploring a map with Gabe's trailer for supplies or places to camp or whatever) because this game needs something else.

Yeah, I'm pretty much at the same point. In Act 3 and it's getting a bit too stale. Missions are getting too repetitive and they are requiring too many standard side missions before being able to advance with the story. I'm not as hooked as I was in the beginning. Plus this being my first real XCOM-esq experience I started the game on normal and the game is getting really easy at this point, which is a bummer.

But it does turn out it such a fantastic fit for Gamepass and Quick Resume. The game and the story isn't that amazing that I need to play it. Personally, I'd be pretty disappointed if I paid full price for this (I'm not much of a strategy guy anyway). But I do enjoy the game enough that I want to play a quick mission every once in a while. And for that, it's amazing in combination with quick resume.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Something else I don't like about the game, and this is a minor grip that mostly annoys the XCOM player in me, is that the game strongly encourages dismissing existing soldiers and replacing them with new ones instead of keeping 4-6 soldiers that you keep using and leveling up through the campaign, because new soldiers you recruit will always be higher level than most of your existing troops. This is not really a problem in itself, but in these games you tend to get attached to your troops and the game does have robust armor and cosmetic customizations, so its a bummer having to dismiss a solider you spent time customizing just to dismiss him later because he's too low level.

Oh I've already started feeling that. I have several level 2 soldiers that are worth nothing, and that's because I've gone out of my way and used several instead of just one or two soldiers in the few side ops I've done. And I've customized the looks of everyone so there's at least one or two units I've customized but never used and dismissed already. So far I've not had someone to rectuit of higher level than mines, but that will suck when it happens. It's good to know in advance though because I can lose a lot of time customizing the looks, lol.

There are 3 acts but starting in the 3rd act the game is really drawn out and you have to slog through missions over and over just to advance the story. I that was my biggest gripe with the game. I would've preferred a shorter game with optional grinding for loot but they really make you beat like 3 or 4 missions to go to the next story mission (which by act 3 is just like the 3-4 missions you beat already). Game is still fun though and I hope they have more time if they do a second one because the combat itself is really good.

That sounds a bit worse than I was anticipating. Well, If the story gets really interesting I'll keep playing for the gameplay and campaign, but if I'm not feeling it I'll drop it or take breaks when I'm tired of the combat.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
For me, Gears Tactics really illustrates how useful Quick Resume can be, because after I finish a mission, I go play something else for a bit, like the Messenger or Death Cells or Metal Gear Rising, and then go back like 30 minutes later. Just powering through the missions would be exceedingly tiresome.

Yeah, everyone wants to go on about all that DualSense stuff, but honestly, that is the most 'next gen' feeling thing to me. It isn't perfect yet, but jumping instantly from game to game to game like that is really kind of amazing. Really hope Sony implements something like that in the future. Games are pretty quick to get into and all already, so it's not like slow or anything now, but that boom, boom, boom on my Series X is something else.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, I'm pretty much at the same point. In Act 3 and it's getting a bit too stale. Missions are getting too repetitive and they are requiring too many standard side missions before being able to advance with the story. I'm not as hooked as I was in the beginning. Plus this being my first real XCOM-esq experience I started the game on normal and the game is getting really easy at this point, which is a bummer.

But it does turn out it such a fantastic fit for Gamepass and Quick Resume. The game and the story isn't that amazing that I need to play it. Personally, I'd be pretty disappointed if I paid full price for this (I'm not much of a strategy guy anyway). But I do enjoy the game enough that I want to play a quick mission every once in a while. And for that, it's amazing in combination with quick resume.

Yeah, that's another thing; the game is kinda easy due to how overpowered overwatch is, and how tanky your soldiers are (and they can be revived many times throughout missions, and can even self-revive) and they can't get injured like XCOM, so you can just scrape by and succeed. It's very hard for soldiers to die in this game.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds a bit worse than I was anticipating. Well, If the story gets really interesting I'll keep playing for the gameplay and campaign, but if I'm not feeling it I'll drop it or take breaks when I'm tired of the combat.

yea just take breaks. It's not super ideal coming back and trying to remember what units have what skills and passives, but I feel it's very easy to lose interest in the back half. I managed to jump back in and finish it after moving on to something else for a while.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's another thing; the game is kinda easy due to how overpowered overwatch is, and how tanky your soldiers are (and they can be revived many times throughout missions, and can even self-revive) and they can't get injured like XCOM, so you can just scrape by and succeed. It's very hard for soldiers to die in this game.
Self-revive is only available on the easier difficulties I think. If you're playing insane or whatever you can't self-revive

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I was really annoyed at how Gears Tactics spawn in enemies at certain trigger points mid mission, irc even during your turn. It makes the missions trial and error in a bad way as some enemy deployments will be an instant failure at higher difficulty modes. The enemies are scripted to spawn in the same way every time, so it's easily exploited by a reload.

In an early mission I had this happen to me:

uVf42Gt.png

Which is a bit funny, but also an instant restart of an up till then very tense and exciting mission.

The reason I've abandoned the game now though is because the Xbox app screwed up an update and started redownloading the full game.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I was really annoyed at how Gears Tactics spawn in enemies at certain trigger points mid mission, irc even during your turn. It makes the missions trial and error in a bad way as some enemy deployments will be an instant failure at higher difficulty modes. The enemies are scripted to spawn in the same way every time, so it's easily exploited by a reload.

In an early mission I had this happen to me:

uVf42Gt.png

Which is a bit funny, but also an instant restart of an up till then very tense and exciting mission.

The reason I've abandoned the game now though is because the Xbox app screwed up an update and started redownloading the full game.
Rofl yeah on harder difficulties it basically becomes a game of trying to optimize your moves against known enemy moves which is a weird meta. It at least has a pretty forgiving checkpointing system that makes it possible to brute force your way through like that but also gets not-fun pretty quickly once you start having to grind the same missions out over and over

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Rofl yeah on harder difficulties it basically becomes a game of trying to optimize your moves against known enemy moves which is a weird meta. It at least has a pretty forgiving checkpointing system that makes it possible to brute force your way through like that but also gets not-fun pretty quickly once you start having to grind the same missions out over and over

For this mission I did a full reload because I already started the previous checkpoint in a shitty position. But the full reload of course was a cake walk since I knew everything the enemies would be doing. It certainly lacks the excitement of the procedural elements from its competitors. The magic is lost the instant you have to restart since it's so predictable.

This reminds me to check out the relaunch of Phoenix Point though. I remember it getting a lukewarm reception when it originally launched in 2019.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Self-revive is only available on the easier difficulties I think. If you're playing insane or whatever you can't self-revive

Yeah I remember reading something about that mechanic but it seems it's not available on the difficulty in playing on.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I enjoyed the first Injustice, but I just couldn't get past the obvious MT economy of Injustice 2.

May 25, 2019
London

hq2Y9jX.jpg

Yeah, I gave Tactics a try when it came out on PC and really enjoyed it for the first two acts, but then fell off it completely. It didn't have the depth I wanted from leveling up and outfitting my individual squadmates, or any basebuilding.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Seemingly in the minority but I enjoy a solo Sea of Thieves adventure. I like to grab my sloop and just have a nice sail across the ocean. If I get attacked then I'll try and put up a fight using the sloop's more nimble advantages. If my ship goes down I'll try and be a bit trolly and sneak onto another's ship :D It's good fun if you just embrace whatever happens.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I just finished Call of the Sea and it was... pretty middling. The puzzles were simplistic and all the solutions were listed in your diary, so no thinking was required. I also had a hard time keeping my suspension of disbelief going as the island was just littered with impossible machines everywhere whose actual functionality and use just felt silly the more you thought about it. Look, I'm all for magical rock machines and secret wooden levers in my silly adventures, but this was just too much.

The story was OK, though I could have done with a little less of the chirpy narration of the protagonist.

Also, this game is *shockingly* similar to Amnesia: Rebirth, both released in 2020. Both in terms of themes, mechanics and story beats. It is wild, and I wonder if the developers had any idea about the other studios work. Overall, I thought Amnesia did a much better job with the themes and mechanics, although that game was a bit of a dissapointment as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, performance was pretty bad. Drops and random stutters and also a few bugs.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I just finished Call of the Sea and it was... pretty middling. The puzzles were simplistic and all the solutions were listed in your diary, so no thinking was required. I also had a hard time keeping my suspension of disbelief going as the island was just littered with impossible machines everywhere whose actual functionality and use just felt silly the more you thought about it. Look, I'm all for magical rock machines and secret wooden levers in my silly adventures, but this was just too much.

The story was OK, though I could have done with a little less of the chirpy narration of the protagonist.

Also, this game is *shockingly* similar to Amnesia: Rebirth, both released in 2020. Both in terms of themes, mechanics and story beats. It is wild, and I wonder if the developers had any idea about the other studios work. Overall, I thought Amnesia did a much better job with the themes and mechanics, although that game was a bit of a dissapointment as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, performance was pretty bad. Drops and random stutters and also a few bugs.

Yeah, I finished that like right before 2020 ended, and I was also pretty unimpressed. I noticed it sneaked onto some GOTY lists it seems like, and I thought it was kind of average at best tbh.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Addicted to FF7 now, nice to know that every other FF came released after that is on GP for me to try too haha

Status
Not open for further replies.