• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Any games on an Xbox One base console that I really shouldn't play through Game Pass and instead play on PC?

I figured the big ones like Gears and Outer Wilds, but are there any other titles that are noticeably worse? Currently playing Doom, which I know is probably way better on PC, but it seems fine.
I would play everything on PC if your PC can run it in 60fps (and the X1 version doesn't run at 60). I am having a blast with Gears 5 on my PC. Rage 2 and Forza Horizon 4 are next.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rage 2 is okay if you play it with the right mindset. Get out of the thought-train that due to the studios involved this should be a polished, high quality open world shooter. The price tag absolutely doesn't indicate anything either. It's bombastic shooter in some ways that feels like an AA product rather than a triple-A one: jaggy graphics, laggy menus, boring artstyle and painfully generic open world, enemies that (so far) mainly vary from "weird dude" to "weird dude but with a shield this time". I'm sure it becomes a lot more exciting once you unlock more moves and weapons, but so far it's definitely a 6-7 shooter at best, not something I expect from a game affiliated with id Software (I know they aren't the main dev but it's Avalanche, but they're no rookies either).

An open world shooter that heavily borrows from DOOM 2016 could be all things, but "pretty boring" shouldn't be one of those things.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I've got a 970, so I think Gears could be done at 60. Probably not Ultra.

Stuff like Hollowknight is fine on Xbox?
I have a GTX970 with an i5 and play Gears 5 on high at 60fps. The game actually set everything up for me and I didnt feel the need to change anything except AF to 16x (was 8x) and turning off motion blur and sharpening. Runs great like I said. And iirc Hollow Knight runs flawless on X1.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I have a GTX970 with an i5 and play Gears 5 on high at 60fps. The game actually set everything up for me and I didnt feel the need to change anything except AF to 16x (was 8x) and turning off motion blur and sharpening. Runs great like I said. And iirc Hollow Knight runs flawless on X1.

Awesome, thank you for the info.

Do you have experience either both Outer Wilds or Outer Worlds on a 970?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I just got it recently as well after the Taco Bell deal. I barely touched my Xbox before, and I was contemplating getting an X to be able to just play everything on console and be satisfied since I'm at 1080p. Wish I'd signed up sooner.
Yeah I don't own a X1 anymore but thought about getting an X1X many times. I won't though as I will just buy a Scarlett when it launches. I prefer 60fps over high resolutions and gamepass allows me to just play whatever game on my preferred platform. Never thought I would say this but gamepass fits perfectly in my current playstyle. I like physical games but only for games I really love and the majority of time I play through a game once and never again so I don't need a physical copy. Which means while the selection of games is limited, I don't have to sell after finishing a game anymore. Also, trying new games without buyers remorse if I don't like it. Didn't touch my Switch or PS4 since I have Gamepass.

But I probably won't renew after the 3 months are over and wait for the Scarlett to resub again.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I've got a 970, so I think Gears could be done at 60. Probably not Ultra.

Stuff like Hollowknight is fine on Xbox?
Hollow Knight runs great. I'm nearly 50 hours into it, started playing on my old X1, now on an Xbox One X and the "loading" between screens seems shorter, but it never bothered me in the first place. Incredible game.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I've been fooling around with a few of the PC game pass games. I have a couple of months left and think I'll resub for the full $5/mo.

What is the best, "must play" PC game available? I'm not a huge gamer, tend to lean towards the RPGs. Right now I'm about finished with Outer Worlds. Playing a bit of Recore, Gears 4 and Sunset Overdrive.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I've been fooling around with a few of the PC game pass games. I have a couple of months left and think I'll resub for the full $5/mo.

What is the best, "must play" PC game available? I'm not a huge gamer, tend to lean towards the RPGs. Right now I'm about finished with Outer Worlds. Playing a bit of Recore, Gears 4 and Sunset Overdrive.
Not sure what the "must play" is but there are a ton of RPGs.
VAMPYR, Kingdom Come, Bards Tale IV, Operencia, Banner Saga 1/2/3, Undertale, Torment, Valkyria Chronicles, Titan Quest (one of my favorite old ARPGs).

I've played a bit of Rage 2 and it's not as bad as some people say, it's not blowing my mind but the combat is very satisfying.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Not sure what the "must play" is but there are a ton of RPGs.
VAMPYR, Kingdom Come, Bards Tale IV, Operencia, Banner Saga 1/2/3, Undertale, Torment, Valkyria Chronicles, Titan Quest (one of my favorite old ARPGs).

I've played a bit of Rage 2 and it's not as bad as some people say, it's not blowing my mind but the combat is very satisfying.
I didn't really like the first Rage so I'm hesitant to give it a try. How's Vampyr? It looks interesting.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I didn't really like the first Rage so I'm hesitant to give it a try. How's Vampyr? It looks interesting.
Can't say as I haven't tried it yet, but it's 14 Gig download so it's probably on a shorter side of games.
Aside from the huge open world with vehicle combat, Rage 2 has more in common with Doom than with Rage though.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I'm actually enjoying RAGE 2, the gunplay keeps me pretty satisfied, but I think I will hold on this one because it is a mess right now, crashes, audio bugs where the game goes completely mute, broken menus, such a waste. I want to play the damn thing but I have a limited time to play and in 1 hour I had to restart my X, close the game three times already, this shit needs to be fixed ASAP.

So now I guess I will be playing Darksiders 3...

Also, I think I will drop Afterparty, not feeling it, such a shame because I LOVED Oxenfree, this one isn't as interesting as Oxenfree, anyone also felt that way when was playing it? Should I keep going or the game just not deliver at all?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not exactly gamepass, but Borderlands 3 is now free for Gold members until sunday if you want to download it and fuck around with it

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
I assume you can't use the free Nitro you get from Game Pass to get more free Game Pass...

...right?

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Are they saying these are only for console, or if you want to install any of the 4 remotely you can on console?
If you watch the gif it shows the PC games as well

I assume you can't use the free Nitro you get from Game Pass to get more free Game Pass...

...right?
The 3 months you get from gamepass gives you a nitro membership that gives you another 3 months of regular gamepass for console or pc. You can convert this to 2 months of ultimate by redeeming the code on your account with gamepass.
Just wanted to give my thanks. I wouldn't have known otherwise. Now to figure out what Nitro is even good for...
Nitro is the best for emotes, you can probably google search what the best emote servers are on discord and get emotes there. If you are into that sort of thing. Otherwise there isn't much (server boosts, bigger image uploads, only a few things after they took the game stuff away)

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, stealth drop of Subnautica on PC gamepass!

The MS Store page says this is Play Anywhere (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/subnautica/bx3s1q5dvhrd?activetab=pivot:overviewtab), but it doesn't seem to get my save from the Xbox One version.... is there something else I need to do?

Definitely prefer to play it on PC so I can stop fighting my son for the Xbox ;) But I was pretty far into things and don't want to lose all that progress if I don't have to.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Playing LiS 2 Ep 4 this weekend. And finishing up the first planet on The Outer Worlds. I'll probably get to Darksiders III after that, I've been itching to play that for awhile after beating Darksiders Warmastered earlier this year.

I will eventually get back to my PS4, eventually!

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, stealth drop of Subnautica on PC gamepass!

The MS Store page says this is Play Anywhere (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/subnautica/bx3s1q5dvhrd?activetab=pivot:overviewtab), but it doesn't seem to get my save from the Xbox One version.... is there something else I need to do?

Definitely prefer to play it on PC so I can stop fighting my son for the Xbox ;) But I was pretty far into things and don't want to lose all that progress if I don't have to.
Play Anywhere is just cross platform licensing. Doesn't automatically mean cloud saves.

Edit: looks like the store listing does say cloud saves though. Soo maybe make sure you are signed in with your ms account that you use on your xbox? /shrug or maybe your console hasn't been online since you started your save and hasn't uploaded automatically? Idk

Last edited:

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
A question for someone who has a family/child account with their own Gamepass subscription.

I am getting my son his own console for Christmas with his own Gamepass sub (he lives with his Mum and don't want him to have my account on his console).

Anyway, MS seem to have some robust family settings. I can limit content (by age) and purchasing.

The purchasing is my question - if he has Gamepass, providing the game isn't over his age limit I set, can he download "free" games without me having to approve the "purchase"?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
A question for someone who has a family/child account with their own Gamepass subscription.

I am getting my son his own console for Christmas with his own Gamepass sub (he lives with his Mum and don't want him to have my account on his console).

Anyway, MS seem to have some robust family settings. I can limit content (by age) and purchasing.

The purchasing is my question - if he has Gamepass, providing the game isn't over his age limit I set, can he download "free" games without me having to approve the "purchase"?

I'll try and do some actual testing, but I am reasonably sure that my son could not download M rated games from GamePass on the "home" Xbox. That is not quite the same use case as you have, since he doesn't have his own GamePass but shares mine.

I can find this post where it does seem like it should work (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...accounts/c8055741-1793-4eda-9a9f-72f2bb8199be). The catch on the home Xbox is that you always have to sign out of your own profile to make that work, but since in your case he will be using an Xbox you are not signing in to, I guess that should never be a problem.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I'll try and do some actual testing, but I am reasonably sure that my son could not download M rated games from GamePass on the "home" Xbox. That is not quite the same use case as you have, since he doesn't have his own GamePass but shares mine.

I can find this post where it does seem like it should work (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...accounts/c8055741-1793-4eda-9a9f-72f2bb8199be). The catch on the home Xbox is that you always have to sign out of your own profile to make that work, but since in your case he will be using an Xbox you are not signing in to, I guess that should never be a problem.

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to dig out an answer!

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
please somone stop Gamepass, I was downloading Shadow of Mordor and I saw Darksiders 3 available aswell. I havent finished Metro Exodus and Gears 5 yet. What a crazy value

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to pre-load Escapists 2 on the Xbox via the phone app. It says I need Xbox GP Ultimate. I already do.

The only button available to me is "buy Gamepass". I press it anyway and it recognises "You already own this product".

But i still can't pre-load it.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit of a slog and I loved the first game and typically enjoy most FPS games. I finally put the game down last week, can't bring myself to spend more time on it.

EDIT: This is in reference to Rage 2

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
It's a bit of a slog and I loved the first game and typically enjoy most FPS games. I finally put the game down last week, can't bring myself to spend more time on it.

EDIT: This is in reference to Rage 2
It's been a while since I played Rage, there was something about it I didn't like- I don't really remember now. I started to get a bit more into Sunset Overdrive last night. Fun game. I'm not the best on games like this but still having fun with it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just played Shenmue 1 on PC Gamepass. Holy crap is the performance bad. It drops down to like 10fps in the shopping district .

It looks like the Steam version got a performance patch. Did that ever make it to the Windows Store version?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I just played Shenmue 1 on PC Gamepass. Holy crap is the performance bad. It drops down to like 10fps in the shopping district .

It looks like the Steam version got a performance patch. Did that ever make it to the Windows Store version?
I played it on XBox and it runs perfectly, no drops at all. I presume the Steam version is the same if not better, considering it was the leading platform which got every patch in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.