• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Hello and sorry for bursting in.

Going to start with Monster Hunter in Game Pass and want to now if you have any tips for beginners / stuff to look out for or just general Monster Hunter advise!

Learn how the inventory template system works. It makes it simple to restock and change load outs, making something that initially seems very tedious very easy.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Going to start with Monster Hunter in Game Pass and want to now if you have any tips for beginners / stuff to look out for or just general Monster Hunter advise!

Played the demo and had no idea what the fuck I'm doing, so I hope starting from scratch will be better.

Definitely take the time to try the weapons out in the Training Area. Get a feel for which you like and which you don't. Finding a weapon you are comfortable with for the early bosses goes a long way towards enjoying it long term. May seem obvious, but MH loses a lot of people right at the start because they don't realize that that one weapon they picked and hated, and put all the blame on the controls/developer/GOD... is actually quite different feeling than the next.

Inventory tip above is also a HUGE time saver. Let's you just drop everything you gathered into your box and pick up a universal item set each time. A couple of quick button presses at the box and you are ready to jump back in to the next quest.

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017
I just came from my "2 months for 2$" sub and wanted to add another month for 10$ to it to finish Operencia, and instead I now have added another 3 months for 1$. That's crazy. Are there always that many discounts/deals for the game pass?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks Doombear, did what you said and tried the weapons for a good while. Took the longsword, managed to press y consistently lol. For real, it feels nice and is big, and that bar filling up for other attacks is interesting.

Let's see how it goes, I'm still a little overwhelmed. But not nearly as much as in the demo

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please help me with this Minecraft question?

I don't know anything about Minecraft and I have no interest in the game. But my brother's kids are huge Minecraft fans and they claim that the Game Pass version of Minecraft is different. I don't know if gimped is the right term, but they claim it's different enough that they don't even want to bother with it. And so they prefer to play their disc version.

What's going on here? Are there different versions of Minecraft? Is there a gimped version of Minecraft on Game Pass?

Anubseth

Jan 10, 2018
Can someone please help me with this Minecraft question?

I don't know anything about Minecraft and I have no interest in the game. But my brother's kids are huge Minecraft fans and they claim that the Game Pass version of Minecraft is different. I don't know if gimped is the right term, but they claim it's different enough that they don't even want to bother with it. And so they prefer to play their disc version.

What's going on here? Are there different versions of Minecraft? Is there a gimped version of Minecraft on Game Pass?

So there are 2 Xbox versions of Minecraft: Minecraft "Xbox One Edition" and Minecraft. The former is the version released at the beginning of the gen which is no longer supported by MS. The latter is the newer one, the one with the "Better Together" patch. I believe the newer Minecraft is more complete than the older one. I also believe that if you have the older version you can download the newer version for free. Your brother probably has the "Xbox One Edition" which doesn't have some of the latter upgrades and the Game Pass is the newer one (and as he doesn't like some of the upgrades he prefers the older one).

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
So there are 2 Xbox versions of Minecraft: Minecraft "Xbox One Edition" and Minecraft. The former is the version released at the beginning of the gen which is no longer supported by MS. The latter is the newer one, the one with the "Better Together" patch. I believe the newer Minecraft is more complete than the older one. I also believe that if you have the older version you can download the newer version for free. Your brother probably has the "Xbox One Edition" which doesn't have some of the latter upgrades and the Game Pass is the newer one (and as he doesn't like some of the upgrades he prefers the older one).

Thanks so much Anubseth

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
The constant backtracking between areas in prey is one of the worst thing I've ever experienced.
I played for like an hour and been wanting to come back, is it really that bad? I'm not a fan of backtracking in games, but if it's properly made (AKA the same areas change a little and navigating the world isn't a bitch or takes too long) I'm okay with it. I wouldn't have the patience for something like the Von Braun from SS2 today though.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I played for like an hour and been wanting to come back, is it really that bad? I'm not a fan of backtracking in games, but if it's properly made (AKA the same areas change a little and navigating the world isn't a bitch or takes too long) I'm okay with it. I wouldn't have the patience for something like the Von Braun from SS2 today though.
In the latest part of the game you always need to go through 3 or 4 areas to do simple tasks. I thought it was terrible.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Thoughts?

1555634158449-Gamer-DVR.png

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
my thought is I regret making my character female on PS4 and spending 200 hours with ugly ass armors compared to the male ones :(

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
my thought is I regret making my character female on PS4 and spending 200 hours with ugly ass armors compared to the male ones :(

Didn't they give out one free item that let you change your character? I know what you mean though. It is always a trade, some armors look better on one vs the other. I usually try to find a video showing all the armors off before I create my character. There always seems to be one just before launch of every MH game =P That's a trade off too though, some people don't like the armors spoiled and just deal with the 'get what ya get!' aspect after they create the character.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
In the latest part of the game you always need to go through 3 or 4 areas to do simple tasks. I thought it was terrible.

Yup, the last 1/5th of the game falls flat on it's face in that regard, and to make it all worse, you are kind of trapped on the critical path for a good 2/5ths of the game in the middle unable to backtrack to complete sidequests. So by the time you do get near the end and asked to go back to places, you may need to do so 2 or 3 times if you didn't complete things optimally. Going back in these games is always rewarding the first time, as you have new skills to maybe get to things you couldn't before, but by the end of this game you just want it to end as you look at another loading screen.

I love this game. I redboxxed it, realize it filled a deus ex hole in my heart, read how badly it did sales wise, and went out and bought it. Then I replayed it again on game pass on my X. It's a shame for a game so great to not be able to nail the landing.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
man I thought the HDR implementation couldnt get worse than Destiny 2, I was wrong. Monster Hunter World is borderline unplayable with HDR.

looks great without it though, xcited to put another 200 hours in.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they give out one free item that let you change your character? I know what you mean though. It is always a trade, some armors look better on one vs the other. I usually try to find a video showing all the armors off before I create my character. There always seems to be one just before launch of every MH game =P That's a trade off too though, some people don't like the armors spoiled and just deal with the 'get what ya get!' aspect after they create the character.

they do but, you know... 200 hours, I was pretty done with the game.

Also, I did the fucking same on MHGU after lol >_<

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
All i can do is change payment option. Weird? Or buy as gift. Those are my options on the menus.
Is that still your time from promos? Or like bing rewards? There are times when it has not allowed me to add time to any promotional time. I've had to cancel, then take advantage of the deal separately. If you're on promo time and it's about to end, might be worth cancelling it early and trying to get back on that $1 deal too. But to be clear, I don't know for sure.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, fuck, do I need to restart as a male?

Toooootally preference. If you are at all worried about it and don't mind seeing the majority of armor sets ahead of time. Here's 30 minutes of spinning armors to help you decide =)

I've chosen a female character in every MH since MH Portable, so that is what I did in World and didn't mind the armors at all. Chose male in MHGU though (after putting in 100s of hours in MHXX) and it's been a nice change.

EDIT: lol you can even sync them up and see them 'side by side'. Just mute them or you'll likely lose your mind.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, fuck, do I need to restart as a male?

Look through them all on YouTube. Note: there is a glamor system with about a dozen or so sets that overrides pieces individually, so you never have to stick with the look of an ugly piece because either has the skills you want.

With female armor however, expect about 80% thigh gaps

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to various sales I now have game pass until 2020. Now I just need to actually find time to play something.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Played more of Fable 2. It looks great and is still charming but I really don't see myself stomaching the motion blur and laggy controls for long.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that really matters is how cute your cat is, and they dont have gender specific armor.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I played RiME recently, along with Life Is Strange 2, both on Game Pass. I loved both. Excellent, excellent games.

RiME was a really beautiful puzzle game. I like very much that it consisted of four gorgeous, gigantic, open-world-ish levels, all with some nice, satisfying puzzles and with fun climbing and platforming mechanics. The puzzles and platforming, looked at within a vacuum, aren't fantastic - they're more serviceable. But what really works in this game is the way they mash it all together in these huge, gorgeous, beautiful landscapes. RiMe was a solid 5/5 game. I liked the landscapes, exploration, music and narrative. If you love that type of genre/experience, you'll like RiME.

And I really enjoyed Life Is Strange 2. I'm really really digging that they've radically changed the protagonists and premise of the game. Going from two female protagonists (Max and Chloe) and time travel to two male protagonists (two hispanic brothers) and whatever power is at play in the second game... that was a risky but brilliant move. They really pulled off the game. Another solid 5/5 game for me. I'm excited for episode 2 on game pass next week.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So can Monster Hunter be broken down to: get quest, eat, kill monster, upgrade, repeat? And gathering zillions of things from plants etc? I don't think that's for me.
I have a really hard time getting used to the controls. Is my character supposed to fight against thin air all the time while targeting a monster? Feels really off.
I'm probably doing it wrong...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So can Monster Hunter be broken down to: get quest, eat, kill monster, upgrade, repeat? And gathering zillions of things from plants etc? I don't think that's for me.
I have a really hard time getting used to the controls. Is my character supposed to fight against thin air all the time while targeting a monster? Feels really off.
I'm probably doing it wrong...
That's the core of MH boiled down. You hunt monsters to get their materials to make new things which helps you hunt the next set of monsters more effectively.

Yes the controls do take a little adjusting to. What weapon are you using?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I picked the Katana. Long swords correct? I guess it's just how the game works. The character won't turn or move a bit while attacking. No matter what you target.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I picked the Katana. Long swords correct? I guess it's just how the game works. The character won't turn or move a bit while attacking. No matter what you target.
Ahh yes. Some weapons do have you locked into an attack, so you have to time the attack. Longsword does give you options to cancel those attacks and reposition. Mostly the heavy looking weapons will force you to commit to that attack if you start swinging. The lighter weapons are a bit more usable and free-form, so maybe check out the dual blades or Bugstaff.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ah thanks. I'll do this next time. I just like greatswords, but it makes sense I guess.
You can always check out the training zone and learn the attacks. Look up Arekkz on YouTube, since he did some great combat breakdowns when World launched. He did some good videos of how the combos works a d how to use the mobility options for weapons.

Booker Do It

Sep 25, 2018
Been playing Golf Club 2, enjoying it, it plays great from tee to green but the putting really lets it down (a bit like Lee Westwood lol) as it is so difficult to dial in the distance using the analogue stick. I'm getting the ball on the green with birdie and eagle chances, and walking off with bogies. Wish it had more of the EA Sports approach in this regard.
Great simulation though, if a little frustrating!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Been playing Golf Club 2, enjoying it, it plays great from tee to green but the putting really lets it down (a bit like Lee Westwood lol) as it is so difficult to dial in the distance using the analogue stick. I'm getting the ball on the green with birdie and eagle chances, and walking off with bogies. Wish it had more of the EA Sports approach in this regard.
Great simulation though, if a little frustrating!
Agreed. The club play is alright. The putting just feels imprecise and inconsistent.

On monster hunter: Any idea which voice language I should go with?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Edith Finch was my first ever walking simulator. I'm a gameplay over story and immersion guy but that was some creative and powerful storytelling. Not sure what to think about the conclusion but none the less, I won't forget that game.

I've owned Monster Hunter World since release. Never allowed the game to sink in. With everyone jumping in now and more potential co-op players, might give it another shot.

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
My fingers are tightly crossed that MS keeps it up and delivers The Walking Dead: Final Season in May. It's crazy that gamepass is so good that I can even have a realistic expectation like that.

Oct 28, 2017
Why, in Monster Hunter, does it feel like I'm constantly hitting stone? I've tried the katana and the dual blades and they just ping off the monsters as if I'm clanging against a massive rock. There's just no satisfaction.

Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps using an ineffective weapon against certain enemies?

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Why, in Monster Hunter, does it feel like I'm constantly hitting stone? I've tried the katana and the dual blades and they just ping off the monsters as if I'm clanging against a massive rock. There's just no satisfaction.

Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps using an ineffective weapon against certain enemies?
Some monsters need to have their armour broken first, could that be it?
It could also be that your weapons are blunt?
I haven't used the katana or dual blades much to know their mechanics, but with the charge blade it will get to a point that it's "hot" and won't be effective until you use the built up energy to charge the cores (or whatever they're called).

You definitely shouldn't be pinging off of every monster though.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017

I think you need to repair the weapon with your whetstone.

Btw, yeah, this game doesn't really do a good job at explaining things.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017

Each weapon type feels very unique. You should consider trying other weapons, such as hammer, bow, charged blade or gunlance. I found them more satisfying to use.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a play around with other weapons and hope I find something I like.

I really, REALLY, want to like Monster Hunter, but I've never been able to.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I got MHW new and liked it for a bit, and then got bored. I don't find it very fun, really, but not all games are for everyone!

I finished Vampyr. It went on a little long, and the voice acting got a little too earnest, and the combat didn't develop enough... but I really liked what it tried to do. Balancing morality and difficultly systems is fun and interesting, as is the set up in general. Usual dissonance where killing Priwen is a) fine and b) worth no XP, but that's a conceit of gaming, and it didn't undermine the systems for me... Well, not too much, at least.

Like ReCore, or Freedom Fighters, or countless other smaller titles, 100% a game that needs a sequel to make better on the promise, and won't get one :(

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
MHW performs so fucking bad that I've had to stop playing. The drop from graphics to frame rate mode is really significant as well. I'll try again on PC in the future because holy shit on console this is terrible.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
MHW performs so fucking bad that I've had to stop playing. The drop from graphics to frame rate mode is really significant as well. I'll try again on PC in the future because holy shit on console this is terrible.

MHW is the game that made me buy an X. I played it for a couple of hours and then ran out and traded in my launch one because I wanted to see how much better the frame rate would be.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
MHW is the game that made me buy an X. I played it for a couple of hours and then ran out and traded in my launch one because I wanted to see how much better the frame rate would be.

I played it on the X so I don't have anything to compare it to. Just the downgrade from graphics to frame rate is huge, you lose so much detail from the world and no matter what mode you are running in when in motion the game throws a slight motion blur on the screen before refocusing and sharpening once you stop. It's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.